Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
mAh is short for miliAmp-hour

If battery makers told the truth, their batteries should be able to put out say 2,600 miliAmps, also known as 2.6 amps, for one hour. A true 3000mah battery should be able to put out 3 amps for one hour.

Well the double top will draw twice the current which will actually sag the battery voltage more than the single top so if you use 4 ohm carts with 7.4v at all, the double top should actually bit a bit gentler on them. But still hotter than 6v for sure.

Yes but using the double tops with 2 x 5 ohm from my calculations will be 2.5 ohms total, and raise the current from my understanding. then again im no engineer.

THC SCIENTIFIC,
Guys can everyone try the double cartridge mode?

I need to isolate a issue we had with one top. I need to make sure that it is a fluke and not a batch. Thanks.

Problem is one customer informed us that he can only use 1 cartridge at a time on the double top, and when he tries he cant get two cartridges to work.

I already knew mine work... But thanks for giving me a reason to! ....time for bed now.

havealight101,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw
I did notice that with slight pressure just from tightening(lightly) the carts, there was a little play with the carts when mounted. My single is solid. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but I do plan on being gentle with my tightening of my cart.

havealight101,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
I did notice that with slight pressure just from tightening(lightly) the carts, there was a little play with the carts when mounted. My single is solid. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but I do plan on being gentle with my tightening of my cart.

Can you take a video and email it?

THC SCIENTIFIC,

druminfected

Did you get the charger as well? because these batteries require the dual voltage charger, and you do need the dual voltage charger for the 3.0v let me know so that i can void the order out so that you can get the charger also.

Oh i thought the Persei charger could charge the cr123a batteries. Yes void my order and I will reorder, thanks!

druminfected,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
havealight101 said:
Can you take a video and email it?
i had the same on the left port. right was solid. thought maybe it was on purpose so they would touch at the mouthpieces. will try to post a vid tomorrow when i can see straight. also i ordered 1.5, 3, and 5 ohm carts as well as the new batteries and charger. will try all on new suggested settings and report

Bob Loblaw,

druminfected

Need your order number please.

Going to reorder my order now. :)

I run my 4 ohm at 6.4volts. They are wounderful. At 7.4 volts they are to hot for me. I would use the 5 ohm at 7.4 volts.

I tried to ask you this before but I think you missed it, but I was curious why your chart you have the 1.5 ohm at 3.7v in red. have you tried the new 1.5 ohm carts? I think they just got posted online today at D9V. I thought they were made because a lot of people were requesting them, and thought they would be in the "green" zone. Thanks Bruno13!

druminfected,

Darb

If I want to use the included 4 ohm carts I have to buy batteries and a charger?
Other than that those carts are going to burn up at 7.4v?

THC said to check and see if the double tops are working.
With the included batteries and carts is there even a reccomended combination to try?
I also have some 3 ohm carts.

Might have been better to charge an extra $20 for the kit and include the needed batteries and charger......

Darb,

bruno13

insomniac
I tried to ask you this before but I think you missed it, but I was curious why your chart you have the 1.5 ohm at 3.7v in red. have you tried the new 1.5 ohm carts? I think they just got posted online today at D9V. I thought they were made because a lot of people were requesting them, and thought they would be in the "green" zone. Thanks Bruno13

No, I have not tried them. I put them in red because they draw more current than any other configutarion. All of them in red should hit hard with very short button pushes. If you are carefull you should not have problems. You might like all the ones I marked red. It also depends on the concentrate. My runny CO2 oils don't need to be very hot to work well. The ones I marked green give lots of flavor with lots of cool vapor. Thicker oils may require more power and current, I don't know. Too many choices. I am excited about the upcomming variable voltage top for the persei, then you will be able to dial in the best settings for you.

Cartchart.jpg

bruno13,

druminfected

No, I have not tried them. I put them in red because they draw more current than any other configutarion. All of them in red should hit hard with very short button pushes. If you are carefull you should not have problems. You might like all the ones I marked red. It also depends on the concentrate. My runny CO2 oils don't need to be very hot to work well. The ones I marked green give lots of flavor with lots of cool vapor. Thicker oils may require more power and current, I don't know. Too many choices. I am excited about the upcomming variable voltage top for the persei, then you will be able to dial in the best settings for you.

Cartchart.jpg

I see, thanks for the info and your right it all depends on what kind of oil you have since co2,bho,hho,eho, is all different consistency and concentrate. That's would be awesome if we had a whole wiki for what type of oils work with what voltage and ohm's the best. I think if enough people input their feedback that it would be an awesome place to go for information.

druminfected,

JoeKickass

Yes but using the double tops with 2 x 5 ohm from my calculations will be 2.5 ohms total, and raise the current from my understanding. then again im no engineer.

No engineer but at least you don't pretend to be :D

2.5 ohms is what the battery will see; in a parrallel circuit the current splits into the two branches so while the battery is indeed putting out twice as much current each branch is still getting the correct amount for the voltage.

A perfect battery would run the two carts exactly the same but realistically I would expect it to sag at least a bit more than with only half the draw. Maybe 8v instead or 8.4 but not a huge amount.

JoeKickass,

OF

A perfect battery would run the two carts exactly the same but realistically I would expect it to sag at least a bit more than with only half the draw. Maybe 8v instead or 8.4 but not a huge amount.

While this is true for the perfect battery (however, since the Ideal Battery Company of Duluth, the only known source of perfect batteries, is out of stock for some time now we'll have to use real batteries....), we differ a bit on our 'take' of loading. Rth still rules (can't get around of Thevenin ya know), so I would expect at least twice the sag for the doubling of the load. Power 'wasted' in the battery (heating it) would also at least double, right?

Total power available to vape would be a fair bit less than twice the one cart output, both carts will 'see' lower Voltage and therefore produce less power, an improvement over one, but not twice.

OF

OF,

JoeKickass

The reason I said just a bit more is because I think the 7.4v setup uses the IMR orange batteries, I'm pretty sure those suckers can put out something like 10-20 amps peak so they might not drop very much at all. But yes you're right it should be twice the drop of a single cart

JoeKickass,

hatfieldsmama

i really wanna try some 1.5 ohm carts... anyone else from colorado wanna split a box of 5 or something?!?! i cant afford and dont really need 5 of em.

hatfieldsmama,

kuz

Guys can everyone try the double cartridge mode?

I need to isolate a issue we had with one top. I need to make sure that it is a fluke and not a batch. Thanks.

Problem is one customer informed us that he can only use 1 cartridge at a time on the double top, and when he tries he cant get two cartridges to work.
Cant get the double cart to work. The light blinks blue, but it doesnt stay on.

kuz,

JoeKickass

Doesn't that mean that the battery is too low? Like when the Omicron needs to be charged?

Are you using the imr batteries or just a regular single battery? Maybe the battery has enough to handle the draw of a single cart but when that current is doubled the battery voltage sags too low and the Persei thinks it's dead...

JoeKickass,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Cant get the double cart to work. The light blinks blue, but it doesnt stay on.

Can you please tell me your configuration? Ie batteries, and what ohm cartridges? and are you using both cartridges at the same time? are both cartridges same ohms?

THC SCIENTIFIC,

OF

Doesn't that mean that the battery is too low? Like when the Omicron needs to be charged?

Are you using the imr batteries or just a regular single battery? Maybe the battery has enough to handle the draw of a single cart but when that current is doubled the battery voltage sags too low and the Persei thinks it's dead...

Seems likely to me too, Joe. Time will tell.

There's a cynical side of me that notes 'this is the sort of thing that should crop up in prototype testing'. While I understand the drive to release and ship new products and all, sometimes rushing that means there are problems like this and the dust up over charged batteries killing carts happen to mar the release. Don't get me wrong, I support THC and their efforts, but risks are risks.

I'm also confident things will get sorted out, and probably in short order.

OF

OF,

hatfieldsmama

There's a cynical side of me that notes 'this is the sort of thing that should crop up in prototype testing'. While I understand the drive to release and ship new products and all, sometimes rushing that means there are problems like this and the dust up over charged batteries killing carts happen to mar the release. Don't get me wrong, I support THC and their efforts, but risks are risks.

OF

seriously.... carts dying and the double top not working. these are huge problems, how did the testing not figure this shit out? seems so simple, peoples carts died nearly instantly from fully charged batteries. how did this not get tested? and then the double top not working, what a joke. I'm sure they'll sort things out as well, but why werent they sorted out before the release? people who have been using their products are making changes to their instructions and guidelines to take better advantage of the carts and even prevent them from burning out. seems a little ridiculous that "bruno" came out with a better functioning chart so quickly and even makes suggestions that contradict the instructions for use given by the manufacturer

edit: those of us who bought the product are not supposed to be used as testers

hatfieldsmama,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker

OF
I also comply with this logic. These are relatively new devices and the power needed is being tested to the max with the consumer seeking the smallest size and the biggest punch. We are now talking tolerances in manufacturing. For example, carts rated at 2 ohm may actually be 1.8 - 2.2 ohm. Also the current cut off protection circuit in the battery might be set to let's say 5.2 Volts on a 6 volt battery. (light flashes power cuts out) but in practice actually can happen from 5 - 5.4 volts pending the battery. Now the battery itself has it's own characteristics which we all know can be different for battery type and manufacturer. Putting all this together in the worst case, which hopefully is rare, would be:
-Two 1.8 ohm = 3.6 ohm, 20% low from spec.
-Battery cuts off at 5.4 volts, 10% too soon.
-Battery not the best ??%
So in all I am not overly surprised this can happen. But can understand the grief. :doh:

Pipes,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker

OF
I also comply with this logic. These are relatively new devices and the power needed is being tested to the max with the consumer seeking the smallest size and the biggest punch. We are now talking tolerances in manufacturing. For example, carts rated at 2 ohm may actually be 1.8 - 2.2 ohm. Also the current cut off protection circuit in the battery might be set to let's say 5.2 Volts on a 6 volt battery. (light flashes power cuts out) but in practice actually can happen from 5 - 5.4 volts pending the battery. Now the battery itself has it's own characteristics which we all know can be different for battery type and manufacturer. Putting all this together in the worst case, which hopefully is rare, would be:
-Two 1.8 ohm = 3.6 ohm, 20% low from spec.
-Battery cuts off at 5.4 volts, 10% too soon.
-Battery not the best ??%
So in all I am not overly surprised this can happen. But can understand the grief. :doh:

Pipes,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I am excited about the upcomming variable voltage top for the persei, then you will be able to dial in the best settings for you.

Cartchart.jpg
I would be very sceptical about this variable voltage mod. There are variable mods for ecigarettes out there which are just barely acceptable. I own a KnightRider myself, same as LavaTube and was quite disappointed to find out the current path was though the trigger switch. I kept thinking the hits were not consistent and had to prove it to myself. I took apart a dual Joytech cart to expose the elements. Fired it and sure enough I could vary the glow with the pressure I applied to the button. This was easiest way to visually see what's the effect of pushing on the switch. Now I did use a voltmeter as I would suspect most have and found the "NO LOAD" voltage was exactly as indicated by the LCD display.
Now that was ecig mod, the oil carts are 2 - 4 X the current so......and the herb chamber, guessing around 10X. This would make it vary hard to make a variable DC-DC converter. If they come out with a drop down regulator then power is wasted in the circuit, which is not what you want. :worms:

Pipes,
Top Bottom