Discontinued The Okin by D.M. Pipes

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Last night I had one of the best sessions ever with my Okin. It's funny how the number of holes and the spacing makes such a difference. Two holes and the charcoal won't stay lit, four holes and it seems a little too hot. Three holes properly spaced seems to be the perfect amount of heat and air flow.

After last nights session I thought to myself, it's been a while since I've oiled my Okin so per Dan's suggestion I rubbed it on my face:hmm:.

So to the few of you that poses an Okin, what's your preferred way to "maintain" your Okin?

You guys did read your maintenance instructions didn't you:cool:

Have you rubbed your Okin on your face lately?:p
I actually rubbed it on my face the day I received it. Haha. I've done it a few more times as well. I need to get the mineral oil so I can rub everything down as suggested.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Right on the money my friend. ha.

I approach my work from the perspective of an artist and fine wooden pipe maker, I've spent 10+ years obsessively researching and experimenting with the nuances that separate a fine tobacco pipe, from a factory pipe.

Sure, you could go out and get a $50-$100 factory made tobacco pipe, and you could get the job done reasonably, but there is a world of difference between something like that, and the works of art coming out of the masters shops. These pipes are $300-$1000+ for a reason.

And, while part of the price difference is in the aesthetics, most of it is in how it functions. These are tools, and with a tool, every single tiny detail is designed to make the job easier and more pleasant. And far too often, these details are blurred in a factory setting, and a beautiful, functional object can quickly be reduced to garbage under the gaze of those seeking the bottom dollar.

Take a woodworking chisel for example. In our modern age, many are unaware of what a real chisel can do, instead, we have the 9.99 special at the bigbox store with plastic handles that give you blisters and crack when you hit them with a mallet, and steel that will never hold a keen edge or cut wood properly. Essentially, they are "mirage objects". They exist only to make you believe that you are buying chisels, when in reality, you are buying chisel shaped objects that are mere shadows of what they were originally intended to be.

My all-time perfect example of this is the mass-produced apple peeler. A simple object, and yet, I can't buy a decent one. It's because making them sharp takes those few extra manufacturing steps, maybe even some hand work... and for the "masses" that would be far too expensive.

Nothing I have done with my design is just for show or trying to be artsy. It's been refined so that every single aspect of it is functional.

The patina on the metal gives the tip an easy to grip texture so its not slipping between your wet fingers when you're out in the woods, have soft gloves on.... or have greasy pizza fingers...

The bronze springs, why bronze? why not steel springs? Phosphor bronze is longer lasting, corrosion resistant, and also because it's a copper alloy, it dissipates heat rapidly. You can always hold the tip by the prongs, because of the way they are arched above the surface of the steel, they hold the charcoal, yes, but they are also a heat sink. They cannot be factory made into one easy-to-produce piece and still retain this functionality.

The bamboo stem, why do I include the node? why not make it an easy to produce straight wooden stem? Why colour it dark brown in an oven? Why include the blackwood tip when you can make it all one piece and make it cheaper? On the surface, these could be confused with purely aesthetic design elements...

The node is where the bamboo has the most strength, putting it near the joint makes that connection extremely strong. The grain structure of bamboo insures that every piece has grain fibers running its entire length... with any other wood, a tube this size, with an airway this open, would be weaker, prone to moisture problems, and more likely to chip or get scratched.

The dark colour comes from heating the cane and solidifying the sugars inside. This cures the cane so that it reacts less to changes in temperature and moisture and makes the surface harder.

The African blackwood mouthpiece protects the stem from teeth marks and saliva. African blackwood has been used to make bagpipes for generations. Now...why would they choose African Blackwood, when it's one of the most expensive woods available? Well, it has a natural resistance to human saliva, making it that much more perfect for a wind instrument... and also a vaporizer stem. And lets not forget the hand filing work at the tip, to taper the airway as it exits the mouthpiece..making the vapor stream less hot on your tongue...

And using wood, in general, along with a thread O-ring, allows the entire body of the pipe to remain perfectly cool in your hand, a lot less heat is transferred from the metal tip, into the wood. And consequently, less heat means glue joints that last a generation, instead of a month. The wood also helps to draw moisture out of the vapor, cooling it and giving it less bite.

Hell, maybe it's all too much, maybe I've gone a bit mad... Maybe all that anyone wants is an object that fulfills the bare minimums... But.. I can't help but feel like I have grown up in a society that surrounds itself with dead husk products, shells that have no soul inside, because no one took the time to put their soul into them.

Reading through the Okin thread, figured this was worthy as a repost to remind some of you what took place during the voyage.
I'm just starting it.

AJS

Calm Consistency
I'll be reading this entire thread straight through, and will bookmark every major turning point, milestone, comment, and picture. If they seem worthy (as I've already done once), I'll be re-posting some, assuming you guys don't find it to be too much of an annoyance.
At the end, if anyone wants it, I can inbox them my bookmarks so they can have a little library of the awesome things that went down during this journey :)

I did this with the Zion, but it was 200 pages, and I got about 40 bookmarks of pretty impressive discussion. Looking forward to being able to do this with a smaller, tighter group :)

NickDlow

Log Hog
I'll be reading this entire thread straight through, and will bookmark every major turning point, milestone, comment, and picture. If they seem worthy (as I've already done once), I'll be re-posting some, assuming you guys don't find it to be too much of an annoyance.
At the end, if anyone wants it, I can inbox them my bookmarks so they can have a little library of the awesome things that went down during this journey :)

I did this with the Zion, but it was 200 pages, and I got about 40 bookmarks of pretty impressive discussion. Looking forward to being able to do this with a smaller, tighter group :)

Suggest them to the "best of" thread. Or start one if there isn't one yet for this.

@AJS post nominations here: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/how-the-best-of-threads-work-post-nominations-here.16613/

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@Madcap79 , :rockon:

That would be awesome!!

Monsoon

If you're going to go through the trouble of doing that, maybe you should apply for a Best Of thread.

Top Bottom