Discontinued The Okin by D.M. Pipes

NickDlow

Log Hog
@Snappo
@Dan Morrison

I did come to realize that I needed to heat the ember longer before the initial pull. I was scared about inhaling while lighting and realized it wasn't a good idea. A smaller bubbler would help with the breathing but I wanted to show off the vapor production. I'll try to post a dry use video from start to finish for those of you who want to sit through it. Time to drill a couple coals.

I'm down for a full unedited session video. I'm in the last batch so it's almost in my hands.

Speaking of which, have the last batch begun their transformation into the beautiful Okin yet? @Dan Morrison

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Ok. Here is a dry use video. I apologize in advance that half my draws were off camera and that it cut out early (by one draw). I ran out of space on my phone, sigh.....

I'm not great at videos. Anyway, still perfecting technique. This session was a bit on the hot side of things but successful nonetheless.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
http://imgur.com/a/B4z32

Refer to the second image in the album. You should push on the side with the logo.

All of the boxes are a tad different as far as the fit. Some are a bit tighter than others. But all will loosen up in a short time and won't be difficult to open.

Just apply pressure with the pad of your thumb (careful not to dig your fingernail into the wood) to the box end, holding the sleeve with the other hand.

You won't break the box.

It's just like a push popsicle, haha.

Madcap79

Mine has arrived safely, it's beautiful. Unfortunately I just entered a flowerless cycle so will have to wait to actually try it. Thanks to @Madcap79 for showing us all the ropes lol will make things easier when I do.
Any more requests, feel free to ask. I'll try to help as best I can. It's a very unique experience for sure. I'm really digging it so far.

Madcap79

Wow man thanks but I think I'll wait till mine is in. I've waited this long and being one of the last to order I think I'll cherish mine for being mine. That's an amazing gesture though my friend, much appreciated!
No problem at all! I agree that you will enjoy having an Okin made just for you. After handling mine the past couple days, you can just feel the quality, craftsmanship and heirloom type status this vape has. Again, probably not for everyone but for me it's something really special.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Any more requests, feel free to ask. I'll try to help as best I can. It's a very unique experience for sure. I'm really digging it so far.

I'm just now pretty much starting to eye this vape. At first, after hearing what it wasn't, I didn't care much for it. Now ... I sorta want it just for the art. It seems worth it even if it wasn't a vaporizer.

I'm mostly wondering ... How is the actual performance? Most people just say it's unique or beautiful, but don't comment much on the performance. Have you managed to get good flavor? I don't mean the purest flavor, but enough that you know the herb is vaping at a decent temp and not burning off terpenes.

How well can you hold and adjust temp with your breath? Can you cruise at lower temps then pound it at the end? As long as vapor performance can be very good wth practice, that seems impressive. I wouldn't prefer a vape that is incredible aesthetically if it wasn't able to keep up with most other vapes. The Lotus I think would be a good comparison, as that has a learning curve and is capable of good, bad, or great results. Any comparisons to other vapes?
Thanks anyone.
<3

Madcap79

I'm just now pretty much starting to eye this vape. At first, after hearing what it wasn't, I didn't care much for it. Now ... I sorta want it just for the art. It seems worth it even if it wasn't a vaporizer.

I'm mostly wondering ... How is the actual performance? Most people just say it's unique or beautiful, but don't comment much on the performance. Have you managed to get good flavor? I don't mean the purest flavor, but enough that you know the herb is vaping at a decent temp and not burning off terpenes.

How well can you hold and adjust temp with your breath? Can you cruise at lower temps then pound it at the end? As long as vapor performance can be very good wth practice, that seems impressive. I wouldn't prefer a vape that is incredible aesthetically if it wasn't able to keep up with most other vapes. The Lotus I think would be a good comparison, as that has a learning curve and is capable of good, bad, or great results. Any comparisons to other vapes?
Thanks anyone.
<3
Well, if you watched my videos, you know it can produce plenty of vapor. The biggest variable is going to be vapor quality. I can get a couple low temp hits with good flavor at the start of the ember. The temp can escalate quickly and can be difficult to throttle back. I believe this is due to the metal herb chamber holding heat. So far, once it switches, I roast the load pretty quickly. When the ember reaches the 'crown' prongs, there is a smokey flavor that takes over (from the coal). It's reminiscent of campfires and a peaty scotch. For most people, it's probably best to let the ember die out and either dump the load, if finished, or swap out embers. I've prepped one ember with a side hole to help introduce a little bit of cooling air (in theory). I'm going to try it but I think it may be easier to leave a very small gap between the ember and the roasting chamber. In my brain, this would allow for a bit more cooling air and an air gap between the surfaces. In turn, this would help keep everything cooler longer and hopefully a longer section of flavor to the experience. Ambient temps will also play a role. I've used fairly small loads (0.05-0.08g). For bigger loads, I would prep two embers and swap out once you're almost to the prongs. I think it wouldn't be too hard to do with tweezers.

Unfortunately, I have never used a Lotus. I would compare it to the VapCap maybe? Vaporgenie? I've had it a fairly short time. I've found it easier to use than my Vapman. I could be in the minority on that one.

I'm a little stoned.....I apologize if none of that made sense.

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
Well, if you watched my videos, you know it can produce plenty of vapor. The biggest variable is going to be vapor quality. I can get a couple low temp hits with good flavor at the start of the ember. The temp can escalate quickly and can be difficult to throttle back. I believe this is due to the metal herb chamber holding heat. So far, once it switches, I roast the load pretty quickly. When the ember reaches the 'crown' prongs, there is a smokey flavor takes over (from the coal). It's reminiscent of campfires and a peaty scotch. For most people, it's probably best to let the ember die out and either dump the load, if finished, or swap out embers. I've prepped one ember with a side hole to help introduce a little bit of cooling air (in theory). I'm going to try it but I think it may be easier to leave a very small gap between the ember and the roasting chamber. In my brain, this would allow for a bit more cooling air and an air gap between the surfaces. In turn, this would help keep everything cooler longer and hopefully a longer section of flavor to the experience. Ambient temps will also play a role. I've used fairly small loads (0.05-0.08g). For bigger loads, I would prep two embers and swap out once you're almost to the prongs. I think it wouldn't be too hard to do with tweezers.

Unfortunately, I have never used a Lotus. I would compare it to the VapCap maybe? Vaporgenie? I've had it a fairly short time. I've found it easier to use than my Vapman. I could be in the minority on that one.

I'm a little stoned.....I apologize if none of that made sense.

Understood completely.
Thank you.

Keep us (me) updated on any variables you change and their results!
You're the best.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Thanks for your feedback @Madcap79 !

I would say that the air gap between charcoal and metal chamber will impede performance based on my experience. It's better to have a good seal, and decrease your draw speed to lower the temperature. But of course I encourage experimenting with it.

Madcap79

I would say that the air gap between charcoal and metal chamber will impede performance based on my experience. It's better to have a good seal, and decrease your draw speed to lower the temperature. But of course I encourage experimenting with it.
I have a feeling that's the case but I might as well try. :science:
My problem is inhaling slow enough with almost no restriction. Haha. Patience I suppose.

AJS

Calm Consistency

I saw you suggest to someone earlier that they should try drawing slower in order to soak the heat a little better.
So to make sure I'm understanding this, a slow pull, even if a lower temp, will do better at heating the bowl in the early stages compared to trying to pull fast to heat up the ember?
Maybe in mistaken, but I'm almost certain I read that in an earlier post, so I'm trying to clear this up in my head, because I was also confused when I saw you suggest him to pull slow to heat soak, despite previously reading that a harder pull will increase the temp of the charcoal.

I feel like this post is going to sound confusing. Sorry! Did my best with the wording. If it's not understood, I'll try to quote the post I'm discussing :)

Madcap79

I saw you suggest to someone earlier that they should try drawing slower in order to soak the heat a little better.
So to make sure I'm understanding this, a slow pull, even if a lower temp, will do better at heating the bowl in the early stages compared to trying to pull fast to heat up the ember?
Maybe in mistaken, but I'm almost certain I read that in an earlier post, so I'm trying to clear this up in my head, because I was also confused when I saw you suggest him to pull slow to heat soak, despite previously reading that a harder pull will increase the temp of the charcoal.

I feel like this post is going to sound confusing. Sorry! Did my best with the wording. If it's not understood, I'll try to quote the post I'm discussing :)
A faster draw will heat the chamber faster and I would say it would be easy to quickly scorch the load. Drawing slower will heat the chamber more evenly through the session, I believe. It may help to take a little time between draws to keep things cooler longer.

Did that answer it? Haha.

AJS

Calm Consistency
A faster draw will heat the chamber faster and I would say it would be easy to quickly scorch the load. Drawing slower will heat the chamber more evenly through the session, I believe. It may help to take a little time between draws to keep things cooler longer.

Did that answer it? Haha.
Understood.
Again. Thanks!

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I'm going to try it but I think it may be easier to leave a very small gap between the ember and the roasting chamber.

Yeah, I agree with Dan here. In my experience, a poor seal kills vapor performance. You want a tight seal.

I found that it is easier to control temperature by moving the load further from the charcoal. :2c:

:peace:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@Madcap79 , If you're having trouble with draw speed because of no restriction (i know what you mean, and it IS hard), you can try packing the load tighter. This will help a bunch. Also, you can adjust the distance of the ash catcher screen further back into the chamber to make it both smaller, and further away from the ember. The default screen position should be adjusted based on personal taste.

Also, you summed up the draw speed to temperature nicely!

Slow draw speed - Lower temperature, Fast draw speed - Higher temperature. The heat is different from an ember because it glows hotter with the increase in oxygen from a faster draw speed.

As the steel chamber heats up, things change a bit as well. The chamber itself can reach conduction temps, but only just barely.

Madcap79

Yeah, I agree with Dan here. In my experience, a poor seal kills vapor performance. You want a tight seal.

I found that it is easier to control temperature by moving the load further from the charcoal. :2c:

:peace:
Brilliant! Haha. Easy solution! I forgot that being mentioned before. :doh:

Also, the side hole allows too much air as well. I will be moving the screen for tomorrow's trials. Thanks all! Interested to hear others experience as well.

Also also, it seems to be somewhat difficult to keep the ember going past the prongs. The side hole did make the ember last longer but didn't burn as hot either. Robbing airflow through the middle to feed the side airflow, I suppose.

Aaaaand, I'll try a tighter pack.

Last edited:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@Stu , agreed.

The ember shouldn't burn past the prongs. This can happen in very windy conditions, but not under normal conditions.

What should be happening, is the ember should tunnel inwards, and burn out the center of the charcoal, leaving the outer surface contacting the prongs intact.

Top Bottom