Chrispy3

Well,
I've finally got around to writing my review / thoughts after a few weeks of daily use.

I LOVE it. I had an Iolite before and I've already sold it. I'm still looking into getting an Arizer Extreme Q for home use, but the flight box is definitely going to be seeing tons of use in the future. I spent many weeks reading up on the differences and of what each vaporizer had to offer, and eventually ended up purchasing both to try out, so I'd like to give a little feedback on the differences for anyone there deciding between the two.

- The flight box heats up in ~4-5 seconds vs 1-3 minutes for the iolite, which for me is a huge benefit. It generally takes me 1/3rd to 1/2 a trench to reach the desired state of mind, which means I can push the battery in a take a few tokes, the whole process taking about as long as I would be waiting for the iolite to even reach optimal temperature, then leave the rest for later.
- You can see the herbs and mix them around in between hits unlike with the iolite.
- I must admit I do like the concept of the iolite running on butane, disregarding peoples complaints about it's lighting part giving out over time, as you don't have to wait on batteries to charge like you would with the iolite ( thought I've never had to wait on a battery to charge yet, as I got 2 extra free from puffitup.com).
- As far as stealth, I personally think that the iolite wins by a longshot, as to someone who has little knowledge of vaporizers it doesn't look like something someone would use to be getting high. This doesn't really matter too much as I rarely am using it in public. Today I was at the beach for a surf session and took a few hits off the light box before I went out with people around and no one seemed to care(might be because I'm in socal :D).

lwien said:
I used the sipping technique that JD has posted in his vids.
^^^^I've grown to love this technique. I much prefer it over the long slow draw; it's less irritating to the throat, as your only breathing in maybe 1/3rd or 1/4th of the time.

Initially I accidentally caused a little bit of combustion in my box, as I took far too long in between the "sips." It seems to be a learning process... it takes a bit to get used to the concept of your lungs controlling the temperature in the box.

If anyone is deciding between the iolite and the magic flight box and has any comparison questions I didn't get to in this post I'd be glad to answer them...
Thanks,
~~Chrispy3

Chrispy3,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
http://fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=158552#p158552

I think I'm Jesus, I've just fixed my disconnected light.
33xio9l.jpg

And exactly how I've theorized. My screen began tearing a little, but for my luck it was at the place, where the light wire was disconnected. So today I've got an idea to get that wire through that tear somehow to get it connected again. Tools used: Needeles, stick, time, effort. Oh what a horrible fixing that was. I wass doing impossible only by manipulating a needle or stick in the mouthpiece hole. Well, similar to how I broke it :D

Final:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2449y5f.jpg

Should i use a tiny drop of solder to fix that entirely? Or would it be hazardous to health or melt when using? (I think it melt as 230C)

...my Box shines again! :)

Seek,

vapirtoo

Try not to over enigneer your fix !
See how long the wire stays in place, and if it
still vapes well.

vapirtoo,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
Always vaped well, tear this tiny doesn't affect it's heating properties. And I am sure I will not disconnect it again. It was really bitch to get that shortened wire on rail through that tiny tear with a needle. You are right, it shines, it vapes. It does what it did on 1st day now again. No need to overfix it now.

Seek,

Lip465

woooo
I think it's harsh because of how short the air path is, my throat gets pretty irritated from my launch box but not from my PD.

Lip465,

MM..Food

vape enthusiast
Odd, my case seems to be the opposite to most of you...I find my rockzap to irritate my throat more than the mflb. The mflb is quite smooth in comparison.

MM..Food,

toadyfatz

octo said:
I just had a question regarding batteries. I use my MFLB almost every day and love it, but wanted to know if the stock batteries that come with the unit ever weaken over time? Do the 2700 batteries provide a better high than the stock ones? Also how many hits do you all usually take per session?
:peace:

Yeah...all Batteries will weaken over time, but with a good charger like the powerex MAHA MH-C9000 you can keep your batteries in top shape and help them last longer over time....Also imo the 2700's are nice at first because they seem just a bit hotter, but in the end they are not worth it. They are HSD so they discharge at a quicker rate when not in use. They tend to weaken even quicker over time than the stock 2400's and I can get just as good hits with the 2400's (which are LSD-Low Discharge rate) and not have to worry about the batteries draining down in a short time. They can keep there charge for months. I would no doubt get these batteries and the charger mentioned above and vape away! http://www.thomasdistributing.com/-...le-BatteriesbrUltra-Low-Discharge_p_2252.html

toadyfatz,

lwien

Thanks Sticks.

To be clear, my throat doesn't get irritated using any of the vapes that I've had. With the LB though, it's my lungs that get distressed which makes me cough.

lwien,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Ed's TnT said:
I didnt realize that the exotic LB's were so few, is this the case? I knew there were a few other flavors out there and had some pics posted, does anyone know what the # of the run was on these exotics? A few hundred or a few 1000? Just curious how many was made.

Hi Ed,

Exotic wood units are rather rare -- fewer than 100 were made altogether, and they are collector items. We did a handful of short runs of various woods as an experiment -- as much to check the calibration and stability of our tools as for any other reason. The are marked with a LE series numbering. Of the few that are left, we occasionally release one for special occasions. It is our plan to do additional runs of additional special woods in the spring. Please check back with us around March for more info regarding these.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
lwien said:
With the LB ... I cough.

Hi Iwien,

In an effort to understand this better, I can provide some info based on our observations which may be helpful. The three variables that seem to be the most important in this respect are 1) the vapor path length, 2) flow organization, and 3) the vapor constitution. Any one of these or a combination could be accounting for the cough.

By design, the Launch Box has a very short vapor channel -- to my knowledge it is shortest for any vaporizer on the market. A large part of that is to ensure that there is minimum vapor condensation within the device itself. This has both the effect of requiring less device cleaning and also to ensure as much additional bio-availability as possible. Our own research has shown that most of the cooling and condensation happens within the first 3 inches of the vapor path (more than 85%, with nearly all channel materials). Therefore, when using the device native, it is possible that some of the condensation of the extracted vapors (which will occur regardless) is causing the irritation. This effect can be most easily corrected by using with a stem or whip -- which brings us to the 2nd variable: the organization of the vapor flow.

With both the Stem and the Whip, at the emission side, the vapor is constrained to follow a narrow smooth bore channel usually about 1/8 of an inch diameter and at least 1.5 inches long. Given these proportions and the slower draw rates associated with the Box, there is often a condition obtained called "laminar flow" within the stem channel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminar_flow). The result is that a fairly well organized column of vapor emits from the stem and goes directly to the back of the throat. As this is an otherwise a rather uncommon situation biologically, the arrival of a fairly tight vapor stream in such a fairly sensitive area can also likely cause irritation and coughing. This effect can be corrected by either 1) raising the tongue to block the vapor stream in front of the stem when drawing, or 2) using a water-pipe adapter (with or without water, it has the effect of significantly widening the stream, reducing its organization).

My initial suggestion would be to try using the box with the whip attachment (or stem) and the tongue raised to dis-organize the vapor stream. If that corrects the issue (no more coughing) then we have learned something. However, if that does not correct the issue, then it could very well be the last variable which is important: the vapor constitution.

Unlike nearly all other vaporizers, the temperature of the working surfaces of the Launch Box can (and do) change *very* rapidly. The temperature inside the Box is particularly sensitive to the timing and draw rate. For example, the difference between waiting three seconds and waiting four seconds from the moment the battery is applied to the moment of first draw can easily be 80F. Similarly, the difference between drawing slowly and drawing more quickly can also make a 80F temp difference in the working parts of the Box. As such, in normal operation, the Box is going to pass over a much wider range of temperatures much more quickly than nearly any other vaporizer. Depending on your personal preferences and/or application, this is either advantageous or disadvantageous.

As you may already know, various distinct volatile components will be released in vapor form at various temperatures. Since most vaporizers have a much simpler heating cycle -- warming up gradually to some fixed temperature and then also cooling slowly, they also have a simpler and more predictable vapor constituency: the more volatile components will be released first (water, then the aromatics, and then the more energetic parts) and less volatile components later (the more sedative aspects may be released, if at all, depending on the unit set-point). However, with the Box, since it passes over a much wider range of temperatures much more quickly, the vapor constituency will be *much* more evenly mixed between less volatile components and more volatile components. The span of temperatures crossed within a single use event of the Box (one draw) is going to be very much wider and therefore the mix of what ingredients are present in the overall resulting vapor are going to be much more a function of the herb used and the specific draw technique than due to the vaporizer itself.

In some respects, having a wider temperature swing is advantageous in that it allows for a fuller sense of the actual constitution of the herb to be experienced -- it is more "truthful". There is less distortion of the taste due to some components being released at a different time than other components -- for sampling/evaluating multiple strains in one session, this would be preferred, for example. However, if only one vapor type is desired -- as for much more strict medical purposes -- then the ability to separate components may be needed. While lab gear is normally required for this, specific component separation is much more likely with a conventional desktop unit than with the Box.

If your cough is due to the presence of some of the vapor components you might not otherwise be experiencing with other vaporizers, then we would expect that it would persist even when using the draw stem with the raised tongue suggested above. In that case, the answer may be change the usage technique so as to narrow the temperature swing within the Box. In this respect, I would recommend not waiting as long from the time the battery is applied to the time the draw begins (two seconds max). I would also suggest a /slightly/ faster, lips fully coupled and continuous draw technique, rather than a slower, not quite lips sealed, or pulsed draw technique ("micro-hitting"). While the latter technique will provide "thicker" results, it is also much more likely to result in coughing -- regardless of whether there is a combustion event or not. The power supply (PA unit) set to one of the lower settings can be a great help in this respect.

Please report back and let me know if any of the above suggestions is helpful to diagnosing the cough.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

sundaddy

Magic Flight's stealth comes through again for the family gatherings! I love this vape most of all for this factor. The ultimate sneak-a-toke!

sundaddy,

kewpcer

sundaddy said:
Magic Flight's stealth comes through again for the family gatherings! I love this vape most of all for this factor. The ultimate sneak-a-toke!

+1 On me all weekend long.

kewpcer,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Is there ANYWHERE in Massachusetts or even New Hampshire that I can pick up a glass stem for the MFLB? I need one asap. The MFLB really dries me out lately (since I've been sick anyway) and all I have is an old old 3/4-1" stem. I am going away on Thursday night and don't have a clue what I will vape out of since the current stem is just too damn short. I need to vape at hotter temps and I find it very uncomfortable to use short stems to do so. Poor planning on my part not ordering one in time, but any solutions out there?

Some local retailers perhaps? Oh and this is for my WALNUT mflb :p

darkrom,

OF

darkrom said:
I need to vape at hotter temps and I find it very uncomfortable to use short stems to do so. Poor planning on my part not ordering one in time, but any solutions out there?

Some local retailers perhaps? Oh and this is for my WALNUT mflb :p

How about a piece of a fast food drink straw shoved over the short stem you have? Should hold you until you can get the glass stem you want. Granted it will look a bit goofy, but should be OK as long as nobody sees you.......

BTW, I have a Walnut unit as well. Very nice, but I tend to not use it every day since if it dies it will be replaced. I'll end up with the updated lid/latch but it'll be 'plain vanilla Maple', just like everyone else. I really enjoy it in the garden where it shines in the sun. A serious contender in the 'best of breed' catigory for sure. Own and use it with pride.

OF

OF,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I received a LB as a present past weekend. All I can say is "Bliss".

My best result is to wait 3 seconds with battery inserted, then inhale moderately easily for 5 seconds, then remove battery and inhale for 2 more seconds. Shake and repeat. Always a great taste for me that way.

Of course you know me. I had to modify it. Just took a tap and ran it through the hole. It didn't harm the wood of the hole (since they are both 1/4") but tapped the wood at the bottom of the chamber. It allows me to thread in any of my threaded tube combinations. The glass tube that came with it still works fine. No harm done to the box.

bloodwoodtoastytubelaunchbox.jpg

Alan,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
^^^^
Nope, no surprise to me Alan... :lol:

Your vapor tube looks really nice with your LB. Glad you are enjoying your new toy. ;)

momofthegoons,

octo

What does that mean?
toadyfatz said:
octo said:
I just had a question regarding batteries. I use my MFLB almost every day and love it, but wanted to know if the stock batteries that come with the unit ever weaken over time? Do the 2700 batteries provide a better high than the stock ones? Also how many hits do you all usually take per session?
:peace:

Yeah...all Batteries will weaken over time, but with a good charger like the powerex MAHA MH-C9000 you can keep your batteries in top shape and help them last longer over time....Also imo the 2700's are nice at first because they seem just a bit hotter, but in the end they are not worth it. They are HSD so they discharge at a quicker rate when not in use. They tend to weaken even quicker over time than the stock 2400's and I can get just as good hits with the 2400's (which are LSD-Low Discharge rate) and not have to worry about the batteries draining down in a short time. They can keep there charge for months. I would no doubt get these batteries and the charger mentioned above and vape away! http://www.thomasdistributing.com/-...le-BatteriesbrUltra-Low-Discharge_p_2252.html

But what does a good charger like the powerex MAHA MH-C9000 do that the stock charger doesn't do that makes the batteries last longer?

octo,

Foster

Hello All,

I have been using my MFLB for about 6 months, and am really looking for a wall power adapter, and some more batteries.

Will the Enercell 2500 mAh batteries from radio shack work well?

And does anyone know of any stores to buy a power adapter in? I am not able to order things online right now, and the people in radio shack had no idea what i was talking about...

Foster,

sundaddy

I think I've heard bad things about RadioShack batteries. Obviously, you're in Hawaii, so I would just suggest getting a Duracell or Energizer 15min charger. They come with 4 batteries and they work great for me. I get 20 hits off of 1 Energizer. You can't buy a power adapter for the MFLB at RadioShack, maybe a select number of headshops, but that's doubtful. See if a headshop would order you one, if you can't.

sundaddy,

OF

Foster said:
Hello All,

I have been using my MFLB for about 6 months, and am really looking for a wall power adapter, and some more batteries.
I am not able to order things online right now, and the people in radio shack had no idea what i was talking about...

I too advise to stay clear of RS and other 'not proven good' solutions. I'd go for either of the Maha batteries, either the stock one from MF, "Maha Imedion 2400 mAh" or the proven 'power user' version, "Maha Powerex 2700 mAh". Someone in town is sure to have them, I'd warm up the phone..... There's also a Sanyo that MF used to ship, the model number escapes me and I've torn the labels off long ago, perhaps someone else has that info?

As to the power supply, forget it. It's a sole source deal for sure. The issue is we need very high currents (up to 15 amps, a very serious battery charger for your car.....) only at lower than normal voltage. Such a bench supply is probably over a grand. Seriously. Very few folks make precision supplies in that current range (most tend to be too crude for us, but fine for car batteries). And then you need to spend some serious money to make a plug to fit the unique connections in the box. Given the volume and low profit potential MF is the only outfit that's going to make one. I'll bet their first unit cost them a scary number of hard earned dollars to make.

With good batteries the unit does a great job (as you already know). I'd look for a few more proven good batteries and wait for better circumstances to go for the PA.

Good luck, you're in a great place to enjoy the fruits of your labors for sure.

OF

OF,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I am liking the Sucrets can idea for my MFLB that I leave in the car!
DSC00972.jpg

I used the old style MFLB brush.. and crimped and rolled it like a tube of toothpaste to get ti to fit well.
DSC00976.jpg

The can fits.. the MFLB, a stem, brush, 2 batteries (w/caps), and a bag of "meds"
DSC00974.jpg

Ready to go!
DSC00977.jpg

Vitolo,
Top Bottom