nr-cole

Nycdeisel said:
Of course! those people with only 2700s wont be laughing now at my 2400 LSD batteries :D

Where does it get stuck, in the air intake groove near the metal part that holds the lid down?

If so, try just placing that side up in your pocket, put the mouthpiece end in first.

If you mean between the wood somehwere else, I dont know.

Perfect! Exactly what I needed to hear.

nr-cole,

Depayne

vaporous
Seek said:
Depayne: The rails holding the screen are connected directly to the battery (without any resistance, the screen itself acts like a resistor). So placing any current-carrying metal on the rails cause immediate SHORT CIRCUIT. Box should be okay (only thing i can imagine is the acrylic cover melting, on pictures i see it didn't happen yet), but you are on a good way to kill your batteries.

Thanks for the tech thoughts, man! I wonder if it doesn't seem (from my pix) like I have the battery in and running while the coin is in place - but the double-a is actually placed in backwards (that is, neg/butt end in the mflb). I do this when the unit is lying around, waiting to be used :) So no charge is running thru during general handling - only when I turn the battery around and push in hard enough to compress the foam ring (in my version of the mflb). Then the circuit completes, and the resistance of the screen to the current produces heat - if I understand it correctly. But the coin only increases the resistance to the charge, and - thereby - provides another heating "element". No short circuit! Just another bit, added on...

Seek said:
{snip}... I think your screen doesn't heat anymore and all heat you are generating is from the short circuit.
Also the light is not a LED, it is a micro light bulb.

I didn't know this - but that explains why current changes would make it dim and glow...like, cyclically. LED's would - conversely - be either on or off, I think? And doesn't the screen just heat because it is in-circuit, and providing resistance?

Seek said:
Anyway what you should do now is take out the coin if there's any and do not put any back again. If you have something that can measure batteries, you should check if they are okay. If so, you are happy, if not you will need new batteries.

Nah - they're good, but it's only been ~6 months. I think the dead battery thing would happen more from imprinting, after repeated trickle charges and partial depletions :/ I believe the larger coins in my trials didn't work well - in part - because they rested on top of the rubber retention O-ring & didn't touch the screen - therefore they didn't "join" the circuit -> no heat (in the coin, at least). Incidentally, I didn't use a yuan coin (though it fits and has a cool hole in the center), because I was afraid of what weird-ass metals the Chinese mint might have included, and didn't want to be sipping on puffs of lead and mercury every few hours!

Thanks for the insights, though! I'll probly keep using the coin, but I'll be wary and careful...Safety First! :) It works so beautifully, and - besides - keeps the odd bits and pieces from slipping out and lodging beneath the lid, in pocket.

I love this vape!

Later :)

Depayne,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
Depayne said:
Then the circuit completes, and the resistance of the screen to the current produces heat - if I understand it correctly.
True. More like the current, but resistance is needed and coins don't have it (practically).
Depayne said:
But the coin only increases the resistance to the charge, and - thereby - provides another heating "element". No short circuit! Just another bit, added on...
Not true. Looks like you don't understand parallel/serial connection laws. Your coins connects the + and - of the battery, parallely. And parallel connection doesn't increase the resistance, it DECREASES it! So now you don't have short circuit that draw awful ammount of current alone. Also the screen, that add a bit more, so it's like "short circle plus". I'm surprised you didn't burn anything yet. You have to connect in serially to increase the resistance and that is not possible, also that wouldn't heat.
Depayne said:
Thanks for the insights, though! I'll probly keep using the coin, but I'll be wary and careful...Safety First!
I hope, you will stop. Coin in a trench is deffinetely NOT safe. No metal, or liquid is. Also: It IS and IS and IS a short circuit.
Depayne said:
It works so beautifully
Short circuit produces much more heat than MFLB itself. But that is EVIL heat. Too much heat and current. Also too much for a battery.
Seek said:
I love this vape!
You should protect what you love. I love it without coins and a LOT of people does too. Your batts performace must be impaired by now. Do not do any more damage to them.

If that coin was another screen with same resistance, than it could be a good idea and performace gain (but the battery would suffer, even pure MFLB warms it), but using a resistance-less coin is very hazardous. As every short circuit is.

Seek,

cluffy

Vaker
I can't wait for Magic-Flight's take on this coin thing. I'm not gonna try it, my LB works fine as is... :2c:

cluffy,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I've already described almost everything about that coin thing. I've studied electronics and I completely understand the MFLB.

Seek,

nr-cole

Is being patronizing and talking like your thoughts on something are infallible the best way to get people to accept your help? Just a thought. My box runs fine too, but given that he says he's been doing it for six months without problems and it improves the experience, I'd love the hear the manufacturer's point of view as well.

nr-cole,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I don't say i wouldn't like to read MF's opinions on this. But this is short circuit in a single glance.
Also MF did say metal is not supposed to be in (on) the trench.

Seek,

Vitolo

Vaporist
cluffy said:
I can't wait for Magic-Flight's take on this coin thing. I'm not gonna try it, my LB works fine as is... :2c:
I'm with you... and funny that you would add :2c: since this is coin talk.
My neighbor studied medicine and is licensed.. I don't take his advice over my doctor's either.

Vitolo,

Dberm

Honestly I'd be a little worried about heating up currency. What metals is that coin made of?

I feel like there could be some definite health problems with this idea.

Dberm,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Dberm said:
Honestly I'd be a little worried about heating up currency. What metals is that coin made of?

I'd listen to Dberm. When it comes to the MFLB, he really knows his shit.

pakalolo,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
You're gonna make him sad by reminding that accident. Oh wait, now also I do...

Seek,

Vitolo

Vaporist
nq7wx.jpg

Vitolo,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Seek is absolutely 100% correct. I'm coming from an electronics (weapons control systems) background. Though my brain has certainly dumped some data, since 1993 when I got out.

I would be interested in MF's take also.

And in other news: IT CAME, IT CAME! My replacement came today. It is absolutely GORGEOUS. Delia picked one out, with a beautiful dark strip down the side of it. I hope the pictures I take later, to share with you all, will do it justice. Plus, she sent me the same Click-Lock (BB) model I bought from the crook. She also included the mini grinder to.

Happy Vape Days are here again. Buh bye... VG Bat.

BigDaddyVapor,

nr-cole

^ For the record, I wasn't questioning the electronics know-how. If he says it's a short-circuit then it's a short-circuit. What I was questioning was the paternalistic, take that damn coin out right now and don't put it back in it's f**ing dangerous, attitude (obviously paraphrasing). Given that Depayne seems to feel it improves the experience and that he's been doing it for awhile, I think it's worth it to hear from MF whether this kind of thing is actually dangerous or merely a little silly. How dangerous can one AA worth of power being used improperly be, especially considering that the only time it's active is when it's in the user's hand and they are paying attention to it?

Lots of people say you absolutely shouldn't vape oil in the box, but there are proven methods for doing so. They cause a little cosmetic damage but in the long run performance is not affected.

nr-cole,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
nr-cole said:
^ For the record, I wasn't questioning the electronics know-how. If he says it's a short-circuit then it's a short-circuit. What I was questioning was the paternalistic, take that damn coin out right now and don't put it back in it's f**ing dangerous, attitude (obviously paraphrasing).

I get ya. Please don't take my response as an attack, or being in your face. Was just commenting on the theory.

As for how dangerous can a AA battery be, when short-circuited, you would be surprised. Especially, if it explodes, that close to your person.

Peace.

BigDaddyVapor,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
pakalolo said:
Dberm said:

That's never gonna get old :lol: :lol: :lol:

JDSupreme,

stroh

errl enthusiast
nr-cole said:
^ For the record, I wasn't questioning the electronics know-how. If he says it's a short-circuit then it's a short-circuit. What I was questioning was the paternalistic, take that damn coin out right now and don't put it back in it's f**ing dangerous, attitude (obviously paraphrasing). Given that Depayne seems to feel it improves the experience and that he's been doing it for awhile, I think it's worth it to hear from MF whether this kind of thing is actually dangerous or merely a little silly. How dangerous can one AA worth of power being used improperly be, especially considering that the only time it's active is when it's in the user's hand and they are paying attention to it?

Lots of people say you absolutely shouldn't vape oil in the box, but there are proven methods for doing so. They cause a little cosmetic damage but in the long run performance is not affected.

while this may be true, a short is much more dangerous and detrimental to the box than using a small amount of concentrates. while Seek's tone may have sounded a little condescending, i'm sure he had the best intentions in mind (the users safety).

stroh,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
That post looked like "I only know". But when I see a person short-circuiting battery saying "I don't believe it" and continuing I try every phrase to stop him doing it. At least until MF comes and says it's safe (And this is a thing I do not believe).

Seek,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
JDSupreme said:
pakalolo said:
Dberm said:

That's never gonna get old :lol: :lol: :lol:

C'mon guys... quit giving him crap. :brow:

BigDaddyVapor,

Dberm

Hahahahaha I hope that story never dies! I wish I had a three part picture of my face when I realized that I dropped my LB, the look when I realized I had dropped it on my fresh pile, and the look when MF said they'd replace it :D

Dberm,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I would also like to add the look on your face, when you cleaned it, then brought it to your nose to check. Then a pic from MF, when they get the package and just throw it straight in the trash, because of the stench. :lol:

BigDaddyVapor,

BirchMFLB

Cannabis Connoisseur
Not sure if this info is in this thread or not I am just wondering, does the MFLB vaporize only THC? Or does it also reach temperatures to vaporize CBD and CBN too with say the power adapter on a high setting?

I found this info but I'm not sure of the maximum temperature reached with the PA:

?-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
Boiling point:157*C / 314.6 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Euphoriant, Analgesic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antiemetic

Cannabidiol (CBD)
Boiling point: 160-180*C / 320-356 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Anxiolytic, Analgesic, Antipsychotic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antispasmodic

Cannabinol (CBN)
Boiling point: 185*C / 365 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: (Oxidation breakdown product) Sedative, Antibiotic

Cannabichromene (CBC)
Boiling point: 220*C / 428 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antifungal

?-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (?-8-THC)
Boiling point: 175-178*C / 347-352.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Resembles ?-9-THC, Less psychoactive, More stable Antiemetic

BirchMFLB,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Since the LB is capable of combustion with the PA and even with batteries, it can vaporize CBDs and CBNs.

pakalolo,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
OK. Now, after I've got my real unit... I can give my honest assessment. Keep in mind, I am a vapor n00b (thus my title). My only other experience is the VG Bat. These are 2 entirely different creatures and the experience of medication, are completely different. I do understand the science behind them, so can understand why the different experiences. Still this is mostly just my observations and what truly turns out to be a Magic Flight. (nice plug!)

First, let me say once again... the unit picked out for me (by *Delia*) is gorgeous. Its a light maple, having a striking dark streak, along the top left-hand side. Traveling almost like a bolt down the side, fading out towards the opposite end. Inspecting the bowl/trench area, I notice this one seems to have been bonded/folded better, which results in a tighter fit on the inside. The heating elements making consistent and firm contact with the mesh. Of course, on the bottom, is the awesome quote and a SERIAL #!

So I get it this morning (met the mail-carrier at the box), take it in, load it up. Been experimenting with different techniques. Now, my bud isn't the driest. Its personal taste (literally... I like that 1st fresh rip). Obviously, as a legal medicinal patient... I get my hands on some truly awesome bud. Heck, there's so many varieties I probably can't remember half of what I smoked over the last 3 months. Maui Waui was my least favorite... which was a Godsend back in the day. While I do like the experience of the high... its primary purpose is medicinal. I use it for pain relief (post-op open heart), anxiety and depression. Its legitimately taking the place of 3 pharmaceuticals (Tramadol, Zanax and Paxil). I prefer Sativa dominant hybrids. The Indica helps the pain relief and the Sativa is the ultimate in feeling upbeat. I describe it, as letting go of your good feeling inhibitions. I've been locked up inside this emotional box for close to 2 years, building up such anger/grief/self-pity and my new medicine has truly, helped me deal with the stages of grief and move onto acceptance. I tend towards a 70/30 mix, I like to be up and about.

Enough about that, mostly wanted to explain what I smoke in this fabulous contraption, before explaining the totality of this fateful trip.

Load it up, with whatever the heck it is I'm vaping (going to try some Green Headband tonight. big, meaty, dense buds). Battery, check! Push and hold, count to five, watch for my personal preference (thickness of vapor). I don't really like big billowing hits. I live by the wisdom of, if you're blowing it out, its gone to waste. My experience with the VG bat is really unsatisfactory. I just can't seem to come up with an acceptable method of using it, it feels like too much work. Plus, I always got inconsistent results with my ABV. The MFLB however, is almost always the same consistent color. I liked the portability of the Bat... I LOVE the stealth, look and portability of the MFLB. Before I take a rip, I can watch that plexi... see it get that perfect opacity then apply the slightest suction to the stem, hold battery a few more seconds, release... then slowly draw out any errant vapor (its errant, if its not in my lungs. lol). I would pull this thing out almost anywhere and hit it. Someone asks. Its a herbal blend. Which is accurate and not-so accurate. None of their business, however. lol

As for the "high". The MFLB, feels to me to be much more of a head high. Real clean, however. With the bat, it would induce couch lock, about 1/2 the time. With the MFLB, I feel much more energy. I feel sharper mentally. I'm more at ease also, in dealing with day to day stress and family.

Its not all, butterflies and rainbows, though. Oh no! The MFLB seems to have one truly big drawback. I could vape all day with the VG (huff, puff)... and never experience this. When I use the MFLB, holy shit... I look STONED! Visine is MANDATORY. OK, a sliiiiight inconvenience. But, damn... the whole idea of stealth is not letting everyone know, you're ripped.

I want to mention another thing. I have combusted 2 trenches with the MFLB (though many more in the VG). However, it is because of my preference in my grind. As I said, I prefer my bud not to be completely dry. I like a bit of sticky. This causes a bit of stickage, in the grind, I've left the battery applied to long a couple of times and lit those little clumps up. If I take care between draws, with mixing it up. I avoid this.

To wrap it up, this is a match made in Heaven. I love the simplicity, yet pure genius of this device. I love the aesthetics. I love the family attitude of their entire company, towards their customers. As I've noted in another post. They build lifetime customers, from earning loyalty, by giving it up front. The MLFB fits every one of my needs, my lifestyle and my personality (I look simple, but damn I'm smart ;-). One of my best purchases ever, even if my money went to a first-class, a-hole crook. Funny how life works that way.

EDIT: I want to add, about the "Click-Lock" BB modification. It works well, however I never experienced the old design. I kind of tend to use the rubber-bands anyways. Also, this type of design typically leads to 1 of 2 things. Either the BB gets gunked and stuck, or the BB wears a groove in the plexi. We'll see over the long haul. Even if either were to happen, it wouldn't change my mind.

BigDaddyVapor,
Top Bottom