His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
one option is the smell-proof plastic container for the vapcap. currently sold out though. If anyone knows of another source, that would be awesome

http://www.dynavap.com/product/air-tight-storage-tubes-set-of-2/

This is all for a travel bag that I keep my mflb stuff inside. I like it organized!
Yeah the ones DynaVap uses are a little shorter than most of the dube tubes I have. The glass will still rattle around in em though, but a small piece of cotton put on top should be good enough.

OF

Since nobody seems to have come up with a 'shorter version of the Doob Tube for stem and brush storage', I think I'll throw my hat in the ring: Why not cut off the genuine Doob Tube at the length you want?

I've done this several times for various reasons. It saws easily, I even cut one off with a Utility Knife and a minimum of swearing. You can easily sand or file it too, I suspect a fingernail file would work in a pinch?

There's a bit of 'draft' in the ID, the tube has to taper a bit (smaller at the bottom) so the part can be pulled out of/off the mold. The walls actually taper a bit (thicker at the bottom) but the cap has enough 'compliance' to handle it (at least to half length).

If you're brave you can even 'nibble' one down with wire cutters in a long spiral from the mouth.

OF

Vitolo

Vaporist
I had my most recent (3 years old) MFLB start having issues.
As usual they sent my new box with instructions on dismantling and photographing my broken one.
I have not dismantled my box yet because I feel I was sent a box with an inferior lid that is much thinner and smaller, and it wiggles when the box is moved around.
A couple of my units with consistent tops:
2%20of%20my%20favorites.jpg
A%20COUPLE%20OF%20MY%20UNITS.jpg

And now the top of the unit I just was sent as my warranty replacement:
new%20box%204.jpg

Above: glossy and sharp... unfinished and un buffed like the original, it has a couple very sharp spots that could cut a finger.
The box itself seems to be taller.

new%20box.jpg

Above: Very thin and flimsy

new%20box%203.jpg

Above: does not meet the launch box edges on ANY of the 4 sides

new%20box1.jpg

Above: insufficient size all the way around (and again there are sharp spots that can cut)

I am sorry for being so open about this, but I find the new lid to be a sorry excuse for an improvement... in fact it seems they are cutting corners as sharply as they can, which apparently includes the lids quality.
I went into 3 local retail stores, and the Launch Boxes they have for sale do not include this inferior thin, and flimsy lid.
Perhaps they save the insufficient lids for the warranty claims.
All I know is what they sent me is not like the new units in the stores... and it is not like the many dozens of MFLB units I have owned.
I wrote to them explaining my dissatisfaction with the lid, and I wait for a response.
Perhaps Magic Flight will be open, and explain themselves here on FC.

Last edited:

OF

I had my most recent (3 years old) MFLB start having issues.
As usual they sent my new box with instructions on dismantling and photographing my broken one.
I have not dismantled my box yet because I feel I was sent a box with an inferior lid that is much thinner and smaller, and it wiggles when the box is moved around.

Wow! That looks pretty lame to me. A step the wrong way? The thin top seems like a very small savings, but the bad 'fit and finish' is definitely worse. IMO not a replacement in that respect.

Yet they added a Patent number on the side, a separate laser engraving step for each box? I'm not understanding this as an economic move......

If this is the new reality, I'm glad mine are doing fine. For now.

Thanks for the post.

OF

OF

I have written to them, and sent images, and explained my surprise at this drop in quality. I await response.

I'd ask you to give them a piece of mind from me as well, but at this point I can't spare it.........

I wonder if the idea behind making the top smaller is to prevent snagging it? For sure it eliminates some hand fitting.

OTOH this would not be the first vape where I thought the upgraded version was inferior. Still a fine product, and it's what new folks will be able to buy.

OF

OF,

Dynalowrider

rogrog If you look for "ZipFizz" energy drink mix in the convenience store. They come in a tube like the VapCap comes in, but shorter. While at 7-11 pick up a "Ice-ee" straw. Cut the spoon end about 2" long. It slips on the end of the brush to form a scoop. Turn it around and it protects the bristles.
There is a post on here somewhere, tried searching for it couldn't find it. Doc

Dynalowrider,

ShiningRam

I'm curious if anyone could elaborate on the specific differences b/t the standard MFLB, and the monocle edition (not the maud dib). I purchased the monocle edition, and assume there are some functional/tangible differences outside of the aesthetic?

I've owned my MFLB for ~4 months and plan on picking up a water filter of some kind (apologies for the layman's term -- not quite familiar with exactly what it's called), along with a power adapter.

As I said in my introductory post, I truly love my Launch Box. It's efficiency, charm, and overall utility is beyond awesome.

Vitolo

Vaporist
I'd ask you to give them a piece of mind from me as well, but at this point I can't spare it.........
I wonder if the idea behind making the top smaller is to prevent snagging it? For sure it eliminates some hand fitting.
I will give a piece of your mind to save on my own!
The lids were smooth before... seamless... measured.
NOW the new lid snags, due to the difference, a key or any object in pocket can open it by the fact that there is now a lip to catch onto.
rogrog If you look for "ZipFizz" energy drink mix in the convenience store. They come in a tube like the VapCap comes in, but shorter. While at 7-11 pick up a "Ice-ee" straw. Cut the spoon end about 2" long. It slips on the end of the brush to form a scoop. Turn it around and it protects the bristles.
There is a post on here somewhere, tried searching for it couldn't find it. Doc
December 9, 2011:
Love the case.
I use a similar one. I found it on Amazon for 25¢ (but it was $2 shipping :rolleyes: )
I bought a few of them (Case for Sony Cybershot)

HINT: cut a short piece of a drinking straw, to keep the bristles of your brush from being roughed up!
DSC00292.jpg

Last edited:
I have written to them, and sent images, and explained my surprise at this drop in quality. I await response.
I came across the same problem a few weeks ago. They insisted it was a new design, and that it was superior in that it was less likely to open in your pocket. Despite my resistance they threatened to end my warranty if I did not dismantle my old box.

One solution is to simply put your old lid on your new box once you have dismantled it. I plan on doing that but haven't gotten around to it.

OF

One solution is to simply put your old lid on your new box once you have dismantled it. I plan on doing that but haven't gotten around to it.

I'm not sure it's all that easy to install a new lid and get it to fit and latch well. IIRC folks have tried with little success and I recall at least one guy cracking the cover at the hole in the process (photo). I wouldn't be surprised if the lids and box bodies need to be 'match sanded' in place to get the excellent fit we usually get?

Good luck with it, please let us know how it goes? Thanks for passing the official word.

This is the outfit that released the first boxes with no latches at all, then gave us wide rubber bands, then finally the latching lid. Lots of changes, how each 'fits your pistol' is an individual thing I guess. This last change seems to be intended to fix a problem I didn't realize anyone was having, certainly not me.

Such is life, still a great vape. Perhaps a bit less ideal than before, or perhaps more for the next fellow?

OF

Vitolo

Vaporist

They wrote back to me and said:
  • The new lids are a bit different from our original LB, as the new lid is designed to be a bit smaller than the face of the Box so that it does not pop open in the pocket (less edge exposure).
  • This new lid also allows for a unit to be replaced without ruining its integrity (in that it can easily come on and off). It also makes for easier cleaning.
  • As far as the thinness or thickness of the acrylic, that has changed from year to year depending on what was available.
All of my other boxes could be opened by me with one hand, and this one requires a 2 handed approach, or stabilization on my lap.
It sometimes requires a pluck with my fingernail to get it started, which is uncomfortable.
it'll have the same lid it's had for the last few years
6 years.
The same lid it has had for 6 years!
I have not seen the thinness of the acrylic change since the launch box became a product (right after the Magic Flight Launch Tube was done). I have owned 10 MFLBs over the years and gotten through purchase for Patients over 100.
I have tested each one with the patient it was meant for, and the lids were the same.
I have still not used my new box, and can not use my old one due to the wear and tear.
I have however shown the box with the new lid type to over a dozen patients, and none liked it, and all with arthritic conditions could not open it without adaptive/compensatory moves or measures.
I believe that the creator of the LB figures that eventually old timers would fade away, and that newcomers will just become accustomed to the new lid, and the next generation won't even realize there once was a "more proper" lid design.

Dynalowrider

The older I get the more I don't like change. If it works well, DON'T MESS WITH IT.
The cost of the material to make the MFLB, must be less than a dollar. You charge $119.00 for this dollars worth of parts. You then use cheaper material yet? You have got to be kidding.
"Sarcasm alert"
I have an idea, use particle board. That will cut the cost a little. You could make it out of clay. That's cheap
How much profit do you want to make before the customer has enough crap to walk away?

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
The person from Magic flight that posts on reddit said the new lids will only be on warranty replacements and not on purchased boxes, maybe they're rethinking the whole lifetime warranty thing and figure with this change some of us will buy a new box when ours need replacing instead of getting an inferior warranty box.

:shrug:

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I happen to have a new box, and the top is as it should be. After hearing all this, I hope I never need to use the warranty. ::knocks on wood:: I also must say, I'm really disappointed that Magic Flight is doing this. I've never thought badly about them until now. :|

I happen to have a new box, and the top is as it should be. After hearing all this, I hope I never need to use the warranty. ::knocks on wood:: I also must say, I'm really disappointed that Magic Flight is doing this. I've never thought badly about them until now. :|
I got a warrantee replacement 3-4 months ago and it was identical to my original purchased 2-1/2 yrs ago.

blazenot

change o subject. i decided to clean my trench completely using a brand new charged battery--i usually use the pa adapter to perform this lovely ritual-- while inhaling the vapor through my nose, which is extremely pleasurable to my nostrils and brain, just to see how long the battery lasted. it's still going strong, meaning both that i'm getting fiine and the battery is still very hot, after 5 minutes of running with a couple minute break every couple minutes or so for the batt to cool down. Q does anyone else use this inhalation technique? Is there any danger of anything going wrong, besides nose hair flames, like battery combustion? btw, its still working after 7 minutes

I'm curious if anyone could elaborate on the specific differences b/t the standard MFLB, and the monocle edition (not the maud dib). I purchased the monocle edition, and assume there are some functional/tangible differences outside of the aesthetic?

there are a couple diff's the monocle lid needs to fit exactly to perfect draw. monocle lid latsh is less effective than regular. monocle lid holder scores the actual lid through wear

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom