vapeape77

Eh @sundaddy said you can tear out the mflb screen and inserted a maud dib screen?!? How is that going for ya?

Would love to know more details on how to install the dib screen before I give it a go. Is there a wire or something it clicks into? My Mflb is collecting dust so looking to find a way to get it back in rotation.

Last edited:
vapeape77,

OF

I hope all this talk of converting MFLBs to Mau-dibs doesn't cause MF to abandon their policy of accepting a photo of the replaced box minus screen as proof the box has been destroyed (as was the agreement). They could just as easily demand we send the old one in for replacement (a big hassle for some, an expense for all). Even do as most other makers do, wait until they have the dud to ship the replacement?

I'm not accusing anyone, of course, but I hope folks will agree this might be a legitimate concern to the Maker that has gone so far to support us so well?

Thinking out loud. Good weekend to all.

OF

Vitolo

Vaporist
Before I threw out my old box, I experimented with it a bit.
It still lights, and the rods still conducted power, but only along the spot that the torn out screen was attached (maybe soldered) to...
I did not take my experiment further, and threw the old box out.
I agree with OF.
If you want to play with your old box for inventiveness, it is a project best taken on privately, without results or ways to "exploit the system" being shared openly here.

vapeape77

@RUDE BOY gave me the info I needed, thanks.

To be honest one of the reasons to convert an old box is fact they are now replacing with different glass covers. To me they are not honoring the warranty anyway.....

vapeape77,
Reactions: OF

OF

@RUDE BOY gave me the info I needed, thanks.

To be honest one of the reasons to convert an old box is fact they are now replacing with different glass covers. To me they are not honoring the warranty anyway.....

I get that, but you agreed to destroy it in order to get the replacement, right? IMO you should honor that. If you don't want to, don't ask for a free replacement?

At least don't encourage others to 'get over'.

Everyone gets to hold their own opinions here, and make their own calls when the time comes, but for better or worse that's my opinion.......and why.

OF

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I get that, but you agreed to destroy it in order to get the replacement, right? IMO you should honor that. If you don't want to, don't ask for a free replacement?

At least don't encourage others to 'get over'.

Everyone gets to hold their own opinions here, and make their own calls when the time comes, but for better or worse that's my opinion.......and why.

OF

I'm with @OF.....several of the peeps and companies that provide a service to us FC folk go way beyond the norm when providing that service. Bending the rules against them is just bad karma waiting to happen. PuffItUp, Magic Flight and @stickstones to name a few.

vapeape77

Lol mine is in prefect condition, I never said mine was a broken unit......

Shame of mflb for making me feel like I have no warranty since there is little reason to put in a claim for a sub standard replacement. nuff said

Last edited:

sundaddy

I hope all this talk of converting MFLBs to Mau-dibs doesn't cause MF to abandon their policy of accepting a photo of the replaced box minus screen as proof the box has been destroyed (as was the agreement). They could just as easily demand we send the old one in for replacement (a big hassle for some, an expense for all). Even do as most other makers do, wait until they have the dud to ship the replacement?

I'm not accusing anyone, of course, but I hope folks will agree this might be a legitimate concern to the Maker that has gone so far to support us so well?

Thinking out loud. Good weekend to all.

OF

Magic Flight actually encouraged it ( I think it was on Reddit). I guess not a surprise since they are into re-puposing and sustainability. I wouldn't have posted it otherwise. I did the artwork for the tin that the box comes in, and have a good relationship with them.

MrNaturalAZ

Tree hugging dirt worshipper
Is there any danger of anything going wrong, besides nose hair flames, like battery combustion?

Aside from the possibility of burning your fingers or maybe singeing the wood around the battery hole, there should be no risk of damage. Well, other than possibly impacting the life of the cell - too much heat for too long can ultimately kill a NiMH cell.

But no fear of thermal runaway or combustion -- that's a risk with Lithium-ion (and related chemistries, like Lithium Polymer), but not with the Nickel Metal Hydride batteries used in the Launch Box.

OF

Magic Flight actually encouraged it ( I think it was on Reddit). I guess not a surprise since they are into re-puposing and sustainability. I wouldn't have posted it otherwise. I did the artwork for the tin that the box comes in, and have a good relationship with them.

Actually, no they don't encourage it. I checked. They "allow it", BIG DIFFERENCE. My take is they're good people and want to be very supportive but are definitely against 'being gamed':

"Thanks for reaching out to us here at Magic-Flight. We don’t “encourage” folks to convert a dismantled Launch Box to a concentrate Box, although we do allow it. Hopefully, most people won’t take advantage of this to submit false warranty claims. While we are very generous with our Lifetime Functional Warranty, we have zero tolerance for dishonestly and fraud. Fortunately, most folks seem to be good-hearted, and we enjoy a fantastically low rate of return with the Launch Box product."

IMO it's not good karma for us to be discussing this topic, we don't, I think, want to be encouraging people to 'get over' here? I believe it's 'only right' to no longer use the product you asked to have replaced. If you want a concentrate box, by all means buy one.....don't cheat MF out of their hard earned and IMO much deserved profit.

Everyone gets to make their own calls of course, but IMO this idea is being dishonest......not the sort of karma you really want around even normal vapes, let alone MFLB?

OF

OF

Wow, OK. I stand corrected. I feel bad for mentioning it, that's what I get for quoting Reddit users. Sorry guys.

Any way I can remove my post mentioning it?

Mod note: posts merged

Thanks very much for setting the record straight. Even if the mods don't remove the post (I believe the only way.....you might PM one and ask?), hopefully folks will read on a bit and discover for themselves. Best if 'it never happened' but IMO far more important it doesn't happen again? For better or worse, new Members don't seem to be big on reading back very far if at all. If we just avoid the topic in the future that alone should prove effective over time.

Mistakes happen, your correction just earned you a FC White Hat IMO. A big White Hat at that. Responsible folks trying to help each other out? How cool is that.....

Thanks again.

OF

OF

Yeah thanks OF, I love those guys and hate that. Hopefully you are right about the lazy people not looking back. At my age I should have known better than to act on second hand info.

You know what they say, "this too will pass". I wouldn't be to critical of yourself, after all you did remember it long enough to repeat it, didn't you?

I think we're witnesses to history here: "I read in on the web" moving up the list of famous last words, closing in on "hey, ya'll watch this!".

I think the true value of FC is based on (amongst other important factors) the idea of reliable information/advice. We keep each other honest? I think it's extra special cool that people can come here and get the straight poop.

Thanks again. All this talk about the beloved box has got me thinking of digging out the PA and my Walnut box. Got to think of something to celebrate..... Like the end of summer. Or lunch.....maybe Thursday in the garden.....

OF

Vaked420

Does anyone else use the MFLB to super low temp vape the first few hits? I find I get amazing terpine content if I start my first few hits around what I'd guess is ~300F up to about 350 by the 3rd or 4th hit depending on bowl size then ramping up through my bowl up to what I'd guess is anywhere between 370-420ish depending on how much I want to toast it. But those first few hits definitely give me stupid good terpine release and with the right strain and slightly modifying my process for any particular strains quirks I just get amazing control over the vaping that's going on.

Also for anyone who uses the finishing grinder(I call it the aftergrinder) I had noticed particulate matter collecting on the underside where the weed falls into the bowl and finally went to go scrape it out expecting a small bowl of left over weed. To my surprise some amazingly blonde kief had been collecting there! I think over the months only the kief is what's sticky enough to cake in there and I had one of the best kief bowls I've ever gotten my hands on.

Tranquility

Does anyone else use the MFLB to super low temp vape the first few hits? I find I get amazing terpine content if I start my first few hits around what I'd guess is ~300F up to about 350 by the 3rd or 4th hit depending on bowl size then ramping up through my bowl up to what I'd guess is anywhere between 370-420ish depending on how much I want to toast it. But those first few hits definitely give me stupid good terpine release and with the right strain and slightly modifying my process for any particular strains quirks I just get amazing control over the vaping that's going on.
I get the tastiest vapor on the first activation of any trench. I get the most vapor on the activation after that. Are you sure you are walking up the temps and not just drying the herb?

Last edited:

Vaked420

I get the tastiest vapor on the first activation of any trench. I get the most vapor on the activation after that. Are you sure you are walking up the temps and not just drying the herb?

Oh definitely I get the tastiest vapor on the first hit also. And I think it's a combo of the two. It's definitely drying through the process and therefore vaping easier, but I definitely can tell by flavor, hit thickness and look of the color of the trench to get a general gauge on the temperature as well.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
With many vapes that first hit or two on a new fill is worth fighting for but the LB takes the prize. It's so damn tasty......our first vape was the LB and on more than one occasion I've gotten some pretty good owe-me's from "I just filled a new trench....wanna go first"? ;)

Vaked420

I just found a new technique for my MFLB. I've always realized how thin of a layer the MFLB actually only vaporizes, usually the very bottom layer where it usually cakes on if the weed is kiefy enough where I think conduction is really what's vaping it. What I realized though about right when I normally would have first turned the bowl is if I pull for a second, then wait a half second, then pull for a second and repeat over and over again, the heat from the oven travels up in the chamber as heat rises, plus the back pressure of the inhale being removed since I fully remove my mouth since that's the easiest way anyways and inhaling fresh air in the gaps my personal preference but you can just not inhale all the same, but the heat rises in the chamber and much more evenly vaped the weed and gave me a really smooth thicker hit that distinctly had more unvaped low temp terpines which seemingly had been long gone. If you got some nice tasty weed it's worth a shot IMO.

Also has anyone noticed what collects on the underside of the finishing grinder is kief?? I break my nugs up into smaller bits that I put directly into my after grinder as I call it (like afterburner for the vape as I first imagined it) and I was scraping out what I thought was weed that had just stuck there and thankfully thought I might as well vape it. It was the most blonde kief I've ever seen and when I vaped it it was the smoothest high I've ever felt and nearly as strong as most rosins. It was honestly amazing and I've had some of the best highs I've ever had from it. I'd say I get a small layer of kiefs worth in the flight box after grinding about 1 gram of good weed maybe 2 grams tops.

Anyways thought Id mention both those in case anyone thought they sounded cool lol toke on!:science:

I just got an Orbiter for my MFLB. I set it up by the instructions, but I don't think its working. I tested the battery with the glass stem and it works fine like always. When I hook it up to the orbiter I see no vapor in the glass/water. I can taste it a tiny bit, but I am not blowing out any vapor clouds. The videos on Youtube show the Orbiter filling up with big clouds. What am I doing wrong?

Fire Walk With Me,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Tranquility

I just got an Orbiter for my MFLB. I set it up by the instructions, but I don't think its working. I tested the battery with the glass stem and it works fine like always. When I hook it up to the orbiter I see no vapor in the glass/water. I can taste it a tiny bit, but I am not blowing out any vapor clouds. The videos on Youtube show the Orbiter filling up with big clouds. What am I doing wrong?
I'm not sure "big clouds" should be the guideline for the MFLB. While you can generate a lot of vapor with well-ground flower, fresh batteries and a slow draw, I don't think cloud chasers would really feel satisfied.

Without seeing how you use the box, I would look first to your temperature control. You might be drawing too fast to get the temperature up to the level where all but the bad stuff is boiled off. Then, look to the grind. MFLB does well with a very fine grind. The "finishing" grinder they put out is great for it. (Many use it for other vapes that need a fine grind.) Finally, look to the batteries. Are you using a freshly-charged Glyph? (Or, some other recommended fast-discharge battery.) They go bad over time and lose energy fairly fast if not used.

Top Bottom