Vitolo

Vaporist
pakalolo said:
I hate to do this to you...Anyway, whether the hole contributes to airflow or not, it isn't meant to.
I defer pakalolo. I just got off the phone with MFLB. You are 100% correct, in that the hole was not meant for ventilation. As they said to me, if some users find out they can use the hole for air flow, that is a hidden bonus.. the hole is part of the manufacturing process.
NEXT..
Although I spoke of being proud to own the older MFLB, as a sign of a seasoned vaporist (which I still believe).. I just pulled the trigger on yet a 4th MFLB (office, pocket, and Patty's). I just had to have one with a latch!
:cool: I am anxiously waiting for it!

Here is a picture of one of my boxes, and Patty's box, each with an Ed's wooden stem to match.
(mine is 2 tone Koa, and Patty's is maple)
Photoon2011-06-21at09592.jpg

Vitolo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I just repeated my tests taking particular care to blow only into the controversial hole. Now both of my LBs test out as airtight, so I must have been careless the first time.

pakalolo,

weedemon

enthusiast
Vitolo said:
I just had to have one with a latch! I

a 4th one eh congrats? hehe i will own 3 after this :p

a latch?? that's awesome! I hope the 2 i just ordered come with that feature!

I dropped mine, and ever since then the door is very loose. i can literally swing the cover round and round very freely.(somehow the pin that holds the door down has come out/up a bit.) before it was stiff enough i didn't need an elastic on it unless it was going in my pocket.

weedemon,

Vitolo

Vaporist
weedemon said:
I dropped mine, and ever since then the door is very loose. i can literally swing the cover round and round very freely
I am sure they would replace that unit for you weedemon!
(technically I would only own 3 also... one is Patty's and no weed shall pass it's portal!)

Vitolo,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
VWFringe said:
I noticed unbranded copies of the MFLB sold in a local smoke shop....

BB Tobacco
14341 Beach Blvd # G
Westminster, CA 92683-4561
(714) 894-5849
bbsmokeshop.com

Hi,

Unfortunately, we have also noticed a few of these copies showing up on the market. They are noticeably inferior in build and currently have no markings or engravings of any kind. Of the ones we have seen, only about 1/3 of them even work at all. Naturally, it is recommended that prospective buyers be sure that they are getting the genuine product, rather than a cheap non-functional and non-warrantied copy.

This is especially problematic as it creates the impression in the general public that vaporization in general and the MFLB in particular is bogus. MF has therefore found it necessary to treat this as legally actionable. We had already filed suit against several parties known to be promoting or selling infringing instances of our heard earned IP. We will most likely be adding the named retailer as a defendant (Thank you for bringing this to our attention!).

While we cannot discuss the particulars of a pending lawsuit, we can at least recommend that if you have strong feelings about the inappropriateness of selling or distributing inferior copies of the MFLB that you personally contact any retailer known to be involved (including the one below) and (politely) express your feelings.

We would also ask that if anyone notices any other instances of a MFLB copy, that the name/address/etc of the seller also be forwarded to our attention, along with details or impressions of your contact, communications, the seller, etc. If you are in doubt as to if it is a copy, check the unit and look for our engraved logo on the front and the serial number on the back. If either of these are absent, the unit is by definition illegitimate, and if sold or attempted to be sold, is very illegal in most states and in some cases even federally (on a number of different laws).

VWFringe said:
This is a transcript of my call to BB Tobacco Tuesday, April 5th, 2011, Noon:
BBTobacco: BBTobacco
Me: I think I was in your shop a couple of weekends ago and saw a mini vaporizer in a tin box, but didn't get the man to take it out of the case."
BBTobacco: Yes (his inflection indicated he knew both which one and that it was still available)
Me: Can you tell me how much it costs?
BBTobacco: $149
Me: Is it a copy of the Magic Flight Launch Box?
BBTobacco: Yes
Me: Why is it more than the Magic Flight Launch Box?
BBTobacco: I don't know, it includes the lithium batteries, a charger, a car adapter and the pipe in a metal box.
Me: Maybe it's the car charger, theirs doesn't include that.
BBTobacco: Maybe, I do know it costs us more.
Me: Do you know who's distributing it?
BBTobacco: I don't
Me: Who they get it from?
BBTobacco: I don't know
Me: Okay, thanks for your time.
call ended

I got the impression I wouldn't get any more info so thanked him and hung up.

... they won't respond to any further emails I've sent ...

Again, thank you particularly for this deposition. It is enormously helpful! To points are of particular interest: 1) They indicate that they are knowingly selling an illegitimate copy, and 2) they potentially know very little about the copy itself, and/or are deliberately misrepresenting it. In all of the instances of the copy that we have seen (all coming from the same source), the batteries included are NiMH (HSD type) and test out at about 900 mAh (on average) in the lab.

Again, any information/observations of this or other copies should be looked out for and reported whenever possible. Thanks again for your assistance!

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Put the screws to 'em, Magic Flight!

It's one thing to be tricked as a consumer. Completely different to knowingly sell a fraud.

willieR,

weedemon

enthusiast
Vitolo said:
I am sure they would replace that unit for you weedemon!
(technically I would only own 3 also... one is Patty's and no weed shall pass it's portal!)

hey thanks for the suggestion, it still totally works fine, i just have to have the rubber band on it at all times now. I don't want to bother them with that when it is still producing wonderful vapor the same as it ever has. + i will have 2 more very soon anyhow.

on a side note too I am loving your informational videos. I clicked back a few links and have now watched them all! i esp enjoyed the PA vids.

With regards to the counter fitting of the MFLB:
Thank goodness it costs more than the original unit! people will buy the original in most instances.

I could see being duped into believing was buying a "superior" product based on the battery type it uses. :( I hope most don't fall for it!

Good luck Magic Flight in hunting these bastards down!

weedemon,

willieR

Been here since 2009
weedemon said:
on a side note too I am loving your informational videos. I clicked back a few links and have now watched them all! i esp enjoyed the PA vids.

We don't want this to go to Vito's head, but he's a lot of fun. A character who is also informative and helpful. We all should have a Vito in our neighborhood

willieR,

max

Out to lunch
Thanks for the info on the bogus LB magicflight. I hope members will be on the alert and will help provide feedback on this unfortunate situation (both to you and anyone selling a fake box).

"I do know it costs us more". That doesn't make sense. If true, why would a reseller go for a more costly fake? Rip-offs are made to undercut the price of the original.

Here's a post on another forum about a fake. Might be the same one. It does mention a car charger.
http://www.thclist.com/forum/showthread.php?pid=15676

max,

hippocamp

Would using the lb with tobacco drain the batteries faster than it would be used with bud?
I think nicotine requires a higher temp for vaping than thc does. I intend to buy one to use mostly for pipe tobacco, and i'm curious if any lb users have compared the lb with bud & tobacco. vitolo and his wife in particular.

hippocamp,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Nicotine requires a lower temp.
Patty only does Tobacco in hers.. her battery lasts for an entire day, due to that lower temp. and how much she vapes at a time (one trench lasts her about that long)
I vape tobacco on a very rare occasion, and only from the LB. the hit begins faster.. you can tell by the flavor, and richness on the tongue.
Don't expect the visible vapor you see with herb. Few plants that we vaporize give off clouds like weed!
I found going too high makes the tobacco hit too strong... so if using battery only , as Patty does, only hold battery in a couple seconds before starting, and then release battery more often, or pulse it in then out a couple seconds each time.
If I missed any comparative factor that you specifically wanted, let me know.

Vitolo,

Vitolo

Vaporist
@max (and anyone else that heard about or saw the various scam boxes)
What did they call this thing on the shelf?

Vitolo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Vitolo, what kind of tobacco do you and your wife use in the LB? I'm trying to get my brother to quit cigarettes, or at least reduce the amount he smokes. (I haven't used tobacco myself for about 40 years.) I've read that tobacco taken from cigarettes is terrible, but some bulk rolling tobacco is okay. I've also read about people preferring pipe tobacco. Do you dry the tobacco or grind it?

pakalolo,

Vitolo

Vaporist
pakalolo said:
Vitolo, what kind of tobacco.... Do you dry the tobacco or grind it?
We tried all brands.. bargain and classy. The one that tasted the best and stayed smooth was.....
Bugler! (who would thunk it)
I don't use tobacco often enough for it to matter, but I did find it tasted best and was smooth.
Patty was smoking 2 packs a day, and she says the bugler is her favorite when vaped. We buy it in the can, which lasts a long time, but the pouch is cheap.
and finally, yes, we do grind it, as it is stringy. Patty has the MFLB grinder that I also have from MFLB multi row mini grinder

Vitolo,

chucku

Charles Urbane
I have tried cigar tobacco (Padron Londres maduro, a premium cigar) in my E. It was pretty good but like Vito said no visible vapor.

chucku,

Vitolo

Vaporist
@chucku - but you did feel it yes? (a cigar must have been intense)
MFLB is an ideal gift for a tobacco user trying to quit. My wife was intimidated by the buttons and displays on all the small vapes.
she felt the "plume" and all that was a scam, to get you stuck buying the "cartridges".
MFLB- down to earth.
OF the earth. Nothing scary here! Also... there is no commitment! no cartridges... like chucku did... he chopped a cigar- I use bugler.
God Bless the Launch Box... versatile little vapor making wooden marvel!
(can't wait to play with my newly ordered "latch launch")

Vitolo,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Vito,

Padron is considered a full flavored cigar but since I did not have much it did not knock me on my ass. Premium cigars also do not have chemical additives as many cigarette tobaccos do. I don't think Bugler does but to be safe English cigarette tobacco by law has no chemical additives (except for flavorings such as menthol).

chucku,

hippocamp

Vitolo said:
...If I missed any comparative factor that you specifically wanted, let me know.

Thank you, that was very helpful. I'm now sold on the lb as my next personal tobaccy/bud vape.
pakalolo said:
Vitolo, what kind of tobacco do you and your wife use in the LB? I'm trying to get my brother to quit cigarettes, or at least reduce the amount he smokes. (I haven't used tobacco myself for about 40 years.) I've read that tobacco taken from cigarettes is terrible, but some bulk rolling tobacco is okay. I've also read about people preferring pipe tobacco. Do you dry the tobacco or grind it?

I have vaped a lot of different kinds of rolling tobacco, bugler, etc. out of my ssv and vg's and to me the first couple hits tasted very nasty. I figured moist tobacco would last longer than the rolling tobacco, so i switched to pipe tobacco. I now use mostly perique blended with a little english tobacco. Perique by itself seems to last very long, which at first i assumed was because of the moisture, but i'm guessing that's wrong because of people advising dry bud with vapes.

@vitolo i was looking into buying a boxmod e-cig but i prefer the taste of tobacco to all those flavors. They have do-it-yourself liquids that you can buy in bulk, and fill in the cartridges or a bottle/tank in the vaporizer.
so it could be possibly just as cheap, but i prefer the down-to-earth method of using the launch box.

hippocamp,

Vitolo

Vaporist
hippocamp said:
..i prefer the down-to-earth method of using the launch box.
Pattys LB always smells surprisingly neutral to me, after the stem has been cleaned!
It is down to earth! Patty vapes with her box in public - sooner or later it will become a less questionable practice.
I have 4 MAJOR favorite Vapes. The order of my love is becoming more and more blurred.
There is no vape that I have owned, worked on, tested or given as a gift that has revealed so much versatility in such a short time.

Vitolo,

CutePanda

Does anyone think that my MFLB is running cool?

I run the PA on the highest setting and wait 4-6 seconds before I take rip 1 and then wait another 4-6 seconds before taking rip 2 and so on. I haven't been able to combust since I first got the PA 3-4 months ago when my MFLB was just beginning to see usage. I do have the first beta PA and made sure to tighten the part that can come loose and reduce the power of the PA.

CutePanda,

Gongvape

• wow that's some crazy shit news about the fake boxes, not cool I hate Fakes.....
    Ne ways I was happy to find a box from Magic Flight in my mail saturday. I got the auto power cord for the PA. they also hooked it up with a real nice micro or mini what ever we're calling them Grinder by Aerospace single row of teeth are sharp and do a nice grind job..Ha now I'm going to have grab the one Vitolo told us about with double row teeth...but Yea the auto power cord came at Perfect timing. Yesterday I took a 7hr rt and let me tell you I don't like car rides. But my ride yesterday was the most enjoyable time I have ever had on a rt flying solo just me MFLB PA and a very fine lady A-13 bx.
    I snaped a pic near the end of my trip
    782557391_photobucket_64918_.jpg

BLISS[/*]

Gongvape,

Dudeson 1882

Yep Cutepanda I think that is cooler than most PA's. Mine gets toast at top setting in a few seconds. I've never let it go for 6 seconds at full.

Dudeson 1882,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
CutePanda said:
I do have the first beta PA and made sure to tighten the part that can come loose and reduce the power of the PA.

Did you check BOTH ends? I always thought it was just the button end but the nipple end came loose on mine over time without me noticing and decreased hit power. Check them both, then i'd contact MF

JDSupreme,
Top Bottom