JDSupreme

Head of Pot
weedemon said:
my PA is usually run at top heat setting, and while it is definitely working, not like what im seeing in your video.

Have you checked if the rings at both ends (button and nipple) are tight. I always kept an eye on the button end but realized the other day that the ring around the PA nipple had loosened up. Gave it a few turns and noticed a big jump in performance.

An everyday PAMFLB user can often not notice the loosening (and performance drop) because it happens so slowly.

JDSupreme,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
alakline_boost said:
bklynvettes said:
^^ challenge accepted. Where can i get these batteries. I feel like it's possible to tame this beast and then think, instant full hit of vapor. What do u guys think?
You can get them on deal extreme. though I really wouldnt recommend them for the mflb. After it being inserted for less than two seconds the loaded trench was ruined.

Just an update on the 14500 3.6v battery situation.

Further draws from the herb that was used with the 14500 had distinct burnt flavor to it. cleaned and put some fresh herb in, and I was back to normal! So no permanent damage.

I'm tempted to try again with a drained 14500, though I will definitely check what the voltage is before I use it to make sure it has dropped some from the stock 3.6v.

As a side note, anyone with a PA and a multimeter? I'm curious as to what the voltage range the PA puts out.

From Vaporpedia: the adapter is capable of delivering a fully regulated temperature compensated 16 amps at 1.42 volts.

The outcome of attempts to use these batteries should be obvious. The LB will heat up way too quickly and far beyond vaporizing temperatures. There is potential for damage to your LB or your battery, or both. The battery could become too hot to handle.

This should be easy to understand. The resistance provided by the screen and connecting rods is constant, therefore if you triple the voltage and the resistance remains constant, the amperage must also triple. The LB was designed around NiMH batteries, and Magic-Flight has said that other types of battery will not work correctly and potentially can damage your LB.

Some other considerations: these are Li-Ion batteries. They are meant to be used in applications that include control circuitry. The reason is that Li-Ion batteries are dangerous if mishandled, and have the potential to overheat rapidly and to explode. Their discharge curve is relatively flat, meaning that there is little voltage drop as the battery is drained, so your idea of partially draining them will not work. Li-Ion batteries are intended for use in applications delivering steady and relatively low amperage. They do not do well with rapid high amperage discharge as in the LB because they will quickly overheat. Finally, once you have stripped them you'd better make sure you can identify them, because putting them in your NiMH charger will damage it for sure.

In short, proceed at your own risk.

pakalolo,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Yep, I'll add my voice to Vitolo's (edit; +JDS). For me the PA goes waaay to high. I never get above even 1/2 power and find this to be best for maximum vapor production.

Higher power doesn't seem to make much thicker vapor, but cooks too quick and typically leaves charred bits, and it's really easy to reach ignition in my mini bubblers.

I think back in the early days of the Launch Tube (beta maybe even?) it was calibrated to run at higher temps, although folk on here were recommending it be reduced. I used to wonder about that, having the LB with batteries and sometimes wishing it ran hotter, but now I can understand the opinion

Vito- did you get yours yet? (hong kong mini bubbler)

WatTyler,

weedemon

enthusiast
ty for the suggestions and tips guys!

The battery adapter feels solid and i don't see anything that looks loose (or anything for me to try to tighten for the matter) do i need a special tool? there are just 2 indentations that i imagine are used to tighten it?

would it be possible to see a pic/vid of the end and how you tighten it?

maybe because my PA will be newer than your guys it has been tweaked and now runs cooler?

i dunno how to tell how recent my PA is , but it's silver colored. (I understand that the "betas" that we are ordering at this stage are pretty much final product) I even have a 2nd one in the mail atm as a gift for a friend, so maybe i will give it a go to compare and be sure mine is working correctly.

i always thought full power was too much, but i don't know for sure it would even combust if i let to go on full without hitting it. i have my doubts though.

while i type this I want to make clear that it produces vapor and still tastes great, I am just a lil unsure if it's running as powerful as it should be.

weedemon,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
weedemon said:
The battery adapter feels solid and i don't see anything that looks loose (or anything for me to try to tighten for the matter) do i need a special tool? there are just 2 indentations that i imagine are used to tighten it?

I straightened out a paper clip, bent it in half and then the two ends can be put into those little indentations. Then if you hold down low on the paper clip, near the 'battery' bit so you hold it firm, you can gain enough purchase to tighten those end caps.

WatTyler,

weedemon

enthusiast
awesome! thanks for the tip WatTyler! Will give that a go! im sure we got clips around here somewhere haha

*edit:

OK i was able to tighten them further! i thought they felt tight, but there was still a bit of a turn on each end available.

I am not 100% sure but I think it feels hotter. will report back later after some experiments :p

weedemon,

Vitolo

Vaporist
WatTyler said:
Vito- did you get yours yet? (hong kong mini bubbler)
Funny you remembered!!
Yes, I got it, but it was broken in 2 pieces. I used the contact form, and they asked for a photo... which I attached. They said sorry for the trouble, and I got a receipt for a replacement that was said to be sent to me 2 weeks ago. I should see that at any time now.
photoon20110619at0809.jpg

This is the broken one.. you cant see it well, but the edges are too jagged, and delicate of a glass, to patch up and try to use well.
Good tip on tightening the tip!

Vitolo,

guardian

anyone enjoying some low temp vapor with their pa? i'm probly the only one still waiting for the pa to come out on blisssville though i could use the old google link for the beta im sure theres some left :/ nice bubbler vito, just yesterday i made my own bubbler out of a 50ml plastic goldschlager bottle using a rubber yo-yo grommet that fit my old 6" bent LB stem which they dont seem to stock anymore... probly holds 5-10ml of water a VERY small amount but still enough to bubble and call "water filtered". the grommet fits the lb stem very snug and i made the perfect hole in the bottle for it near the neck of it. wish i had a pic but still havnt figured those out yet :rolleyes: works great other then i need a pushback ring BADLY as my replacement box runs extremly hot and tends to scorch 70% of all loads unless you controll how long the battery is in... which is hard to do to say the least using ANY waterpipe with the lb :2c: :peace:

guardian,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
weedemon said:
OK i was able to tighten them further! i thought they felt tight, but there was still a bit of a turn on each end available.

Careful tightening the 'switch' end one though- too tight and the switch stays on. I'm sure you've discovered that now though!

Vitolo- That sucks, good they're sending you another though. The one you got looks like another variant on the design yet again! That's what you get with deal extreme! Bit of a lucky dip. I've bought a few now (4) for friends, breakages and spares and only had one that was like the model pictured- it was actually the best one. The other versions are still a bargain though, except one which had a downstem that was 1/8" too short and meant water came up the mouthpice unless I was ultra precise in filling it. I've also got a couple of the plastic/metal ones to check out when I get time- not yet worked out making the join to the LB, but they should be a bit more durable for portability than the glass ones. I'll report back when I get around to it.

I have to say that nowadays this kind of mini water filtration has become a must for my LB. I really think it optimises it, is much more suited to the load size & method than a full size glass piece, and means I don't have to piss about with the 'sipping' method, which I can sometimes find a little laborious.

WatTyler,

Vitolo

Vaporist
guardian said:
anyone enjoying some low temp vapor with their pa?
I only go higher on the PA when people come over from the organizations for demo purposes.
When I use the PA, I use it at ridiculously low settings. I trickle.. I savor, and make a trench last 10 minutes or more. At the end, The ABV is perfectly uniformly tanned when I vape this way, and there is never a char. I do get very high doing it this way also!
You asked if anyone was enjoying the low setting??... I love it!
@WatTyler- yes they were not only nice.. but they acted almost like this was a daily occurance. I am fine with it. I will get it very soon, and will show it!

Vitolo,

cluffy

Vaker
My buddy loaded my LB with some Sour D last night, it's still going this morning and I am happy...

cluffy,

Vitolo

Vaporist
That is the happy ending MFLB story of the morning, cluffy!
(mine still was "launchable" from last night too!)

Vitolo,

Sour Deez

guardian said:
anyone enjoying some low temp vapor with their pa? i'm probly the only one still waiting for the pa to come out on blisssville though i could use the old google link for the beta im sure theres some left :/ nice bubbler vito, just yesterday i made my own bubbler out of a 50ml plastic goldschlager bottle using a rubber yo-yo grommet that fit my old 6" bent LB stem which they dont seem to stock anymore... probly holds 5-10ml of water a VERY small amount but still enough to bubble and call "water filtered". the grommet fits the lb stem very snug and i made the perfect hole in the bottle for it near the neck of it. wish i had a pic but still havnt figured those out yet :rolleyes: works great other then i need a pushback ring BADLY as my replacement box runs extremly hot and tends to scorch 70% of all loads unless you controll how long the battery is in... which is hard to do to say the least using ANY waterpipe with the lb :2c: :peace:

I love the pushback feature. I ruined my first LB cause I got pulled over and the cop was less then gentle with the unit. Instead of sliding the top, he decided just to yank it up :/ and he also must of pushed the battery in, and it was like that about 30 min :uhoh:

Sour Deez,

VapePoor

Hello there! I am a long time lurker but very rare poster. I have had a few near-purchase experiences with vaporizers, but for the most part, I have always only done research. I spent the majority of my time last summer researching vapes :lol: Recently, my buddy made me an offer I couldn't refuse: $60 bucks for an SSV. Thing works perfect, wands a little dirty, but I plan on getting a custom glass kit for it. But thats beside the point. The SSV, the first vape I ever drooled over, has done exactly what I have always dreamed it would do, so now I am vapor crazy. In my perfect world, I had always dreamed the MFLB would be my second purchase, but I knew that after the SSV i wouldn't be able to afford it. Well, having only spent 60 bucks on it, I was left with money to spend. I found some one selling a set on the "sell your vape and accessories" thread, and at such a good deal, I had to jump on it.

My only problem, is that after not having read anything in a year, my memory is a little shot, and now this thread is 453 pages long! I have done a little backtracking in the thread, but it's all so over whelming. I think I was in the 100's somewhere last summer! I have a few questions if anyone would willing to answer...

This is what I'm getting. 4 LSD's, 4 PowerEx 2700, reg LB charger, LaCrosse BC 900, grinder(?), and hoperfully the rest of the original kit is in that box. Is this a good starter set up? Will I need more batteries?

I know I'll need the PA, so my first question, is what is the wait time on those? Are they easy to get your hands on? And what is the final cost for one by itself?

I am willing to read anything, it's just hard to sift through pages and pages of forum!! Thanks alot guys!

VapePoor,

Vitolo

Vaporist
VapePoor said:
I am willing to read anything, it's just hard to sift through pages and pages of forum!! Thanks alot guys!
I would not worry all that much about batteries, the standards are very good and do as they are described to do.
The PA rocks!
As for getting set up, within a couple of days you will be custom setup to go... That is such a personal thing...
I mean you have it all! All other little touches are going to be "pure VapePoor"
(the PA is still $64... takes a week to arrive)
EDIT: you may find this hard to believe.. but I now know this link by heart! PA for MFLB

Vitolo,

Tim

VapePoor, if you're going to be using the MFLB just for on-the-go purposes, then I think you're set. You have the SSV, so unless you REALLY love the MFLB enough for the PA, I think you're OK for now. That's definitely more stuff than I have!

Tim,

Dudeson 1882

Loving the PA. Got to the UK in 5 working days which is very impressive & big thanks to MF.

If you are a fan of the LB & use it a decent amount when at home or near a power source it is a must buy. Apart from not having to deal with the batteries (which is the main reason I got the PA) the things that have impressed me are the level of control & consistency the PA gives me now.

I have the MFLB technique down but even so you could not always get the same hit each time. I had batteries I knew would last & give a good hit & other batteries I'd know wouldn't etc. The way I like to hit with the PA below just wouldn't be possible with batteries.

The PA turns the LB into a completely different beast.

JDSupreme said:
I run my PA around 3/4 at first, then slowly dial down to about 1/2 power when the taste gets harsh. Lower temps = tastier hits of toasted trenches

This is what I do if I'm in a hurry. As JDS said the taste is too harsh but is ok if turned down. Looking at mine I go from 2/3 down to halfway.

Vitolo said:
When I use the PA, I use it at ridiculously low settings. I trickle.. I savor, and make a trench last 10 minutes or more. At the end, The ABV is perfectly uniformly tanned when I vape this way, and there is never a char. I do get very high doing it this way also!
You asked if anyone was enjoying the low setting??... I love it!

But if I have time (like right now :)) this is the way to go. There is no way you could get hits like this off the LB without the PA. This is such an enjoyable way to vape. I dont get the clouds you do Vitolo but I get a lot of taste & effect. My current trenchload has been going for 25 mins now & still has more life in it.

I keep the button down & inhale slowly for as long as I can. Then shake & grind & repeat. Do you keep the button down this long or still pulse it? I found pulsing it didnt work so well at low temps.

A few observations & Q's on the PA.

1 - I had to add markings to the black plastic dial so I could return to the same temp as it was hard to get the same spot. I used a tiny amount of nail varnish to add marks to show my low & high temp sweet spots when the marks are at 12 o clock. Would be good to see something like this in the final version.

2 - I'm a bit worried already by the button & the connection between the lead & the battery bit. My LB is pretty old & the battery bit fits really tight. I have to use both thumbs & a lot of force to push the battery in. Thats ok but getting it out or moving the lead round to set it down I have to pull hard on the lead & bat so the connection is already a bit loose.

3 - I'm really pleased I could just plug it in with an adaptor & it worked.

4 - Does everyones run at the same temps or is it a SSV type situation where 2 peoples dial will have different temps?

5 - Does the PA need to be still on a flat surface or is it OK to walk around the room & have it hanging in mid air?

Dudeson 1882,

Vitolo

Vaporist
we have not all seen each others PA's so we dont know about similar temp settings.
I have worked with 3 PAs other then mine, and it seemed the same.. but by the nature of a continuos rheostat, the thing is done by "feel" and cant be expected to be "explainable" in terms of a point on a dial.
The idea is you now have variety, so you do not have to do the same as anyone else!.
Do not be mistakenm by the vis....
I got clouds at higher temps.
When I trickle and enjoy the flavor, I can barely see the vapor.
I only pulse a little bit if I am vaping slightly warmer to finish off the trench that is all but done.
No need with lower power.
Don't worry about the connection, and dont force or be rough.. there is no need the positive pole is extended, and does not need pushing after it is in. It makes contact right past the pushback ring, and you only must touch the black button lightly to have it make conact.
Nice review!

Vitolo,

Dudeson 1882

Cheers Vitolo. That makes sense about the temps.

I only get clouds at higher temps as well. From about halfway onwards but the vapor is so nice at low temps without seeing it.

I have another busted LB which is newer (has a light) & the battery fits in much easier so I'm guessing the older ones have smaller slots. I'll have to send the broken one off for replacement as I will break this eventually as the battery is in so tight I have to pull it out with the lead bit.

Dudeson 1882,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I've kind of settled in one LB for the PA, and one for use with Batteries. They will send you the replacement prior to you returning your unit, so contact them for instructions

Vitolo,

Dudeson 1882

Yep thats what I'm planning on doing one for the road & one for the PA.

Also I'm wondering if the PA will work with the LT. From memory the LT has a completely different battery housing but if it could work would be great. I'll have a play with it tomorrow.

I just had one last trench before bed & started low taking long slow pull with the button down as if doing a low temp vape & slowly, gradually increased the temp. Was pretty intense & much nicer than starting high. Got a nice taste & then bamm. I'm vaked now goodnight. :lol:

Dudeson 1882,

VapePoor

Tim said:
VapePoor, if you're going to be using the MFLB just for on-the-go purposes, then I think you're set. You have the SSV, so unless you REALLY love the MFLB enough for the PA, I think you're OK for now. That's definitely more stuff than I have!

This is what I figured. I love my SSV, and I will be moving into a small efficiency studio apartment in the fall, so I will really have no use for more than one desktop unit; however, I am a fiend for options and customization, and the PA will definitely help calm my desires! But, seeing as I will be staying with Batts, I have a few more questions (thanks for the ultra speedy responses also guys!):

1. Weight-wise, how much does a typical trench consist of?

2. How long do the batts I will be getting (Powerex mah 2700) last?

3. To those this applies too, how is the stone in proportion to the ammount used when comparing the SSV and the MFLB?

VapePoor,

Vitolo

Vaporist
It takes 2 trenches to get me where I go in 1 wand on the SSV... and I am thinking that is about an equal amount, (unless I am experimenting with a new strain, and just have to "stuff that wand" for flavor!)
I know the standard batteries last me about 4 trenches each.
(Hoping someone will speak up about weight of trench.. I never weighed, and scale is out on a mission!)

Vitolo,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
so someone posted a video a while back saying that it was safe to run a qtip with ISO on it through a stem to clean it... yes it cleans it quickly, but my minstem from the whip is now cracked... bummer.. Oh well. Lesson learned. I need to get the glass ones anyways.

anyone know how to get the brown tint out of the whip? (the one from magic flight)

wake n blake,
Top Bottom