stickstones

Vapor concierge
magicflight said:
I am also hoping you might know of some research that supports one of our other contentions: that the "milkyness" of a hit is actually an indicator of changing hit chemistry -- and not necessarily for the better. Are you aware of any studies which characterize the relative changes in the percentages of various vapor constituents as a function of temperature?

-- Magic-Flight

Ok, this sounds like one of those things that is too good for me to miss. I have no idea what you are talking about, but I want to! Care to elaborate?

stickstones,

treecityrnd

Quick response: Anyone can walk to their local library and usually they will have access to any of these publicly funded studies. Or any med school library will have it. Most libraries are public access. All this research has been publicly funded through grants. I'm certainly not "advertising" for PubMed. Just have to use it all the time ;)

http://brainimaging.waisman.wisc.edu/~perlman/papers/azorlosa_marijuana_1995.pdf

Edit: give me a while on the other references. Not sure they exist. Like I said, funding is horrible right now. It's a study that needs to be done if not yet.

treecityrnd,

Kelblow

Hi Guys,
I was just wondering is there much difference between newer MFLB's and older ones?.I ask this as I have a vendor in Amsterdam who is doing a 15% off deal at the mo,and I have a feeling he's just trying to get rid of his old stock in order to re-stock with the most up to date units. I'm quite new to vaping and started off with a SSV which I love.Actually I started last year with a cheap dome conduction vape which did absolutely nothing for me and made me re-consider vaping as an option at all.Having finally got over that dissapointment I went for the SSV and it is truly excellent.My worry with the MFLB is that it too is conduction (I think) and I've always been told convection is far better than conduction,though I do see post after post of good vibes about the MFLB.It would be my stealth vape for when my daughter is around asking awkward questions (kids eh?).Anway if anyone can help me with my question I'd be chuffed to bits.

Kelblow,

Vitolo

Vaporist
The older ones do not have the blAck screen protecting "O"ring.
Blissville still warranties the units, and if there is an issue they will repair or replace even the older models.
The black ring is not really an integral part, but was an afterthought to add a layer of protection to prevent the screen from being 'plucked" out.

Vitolo,

VivaSativa

Hey guys, a MAHA-C9000 question:
Got the charger few days ago, put my 4 Imedions in break-in mode (they haven't been used in months, and had low performance after many charges in a USB charger).
The break-in finished, and it showed 0 MAH on all 4 slots.
I then wanted to do an analyze and refresh run, to see how much MAH they have now, but when I put any of the four batteries in the charger, it says 'HIGH', which means the battery failed some health check.
The batteries don't work in my LB, but they do work in my remote control...
Are they dead?
Meanwhile I'm doing a break-in run for some other 2700 MAH batteries I had, hopefully they'll survive it.

Do you have any idea what I can do to 'fix' the Imedions? I tried all modes in the MAHA-C9000, none can operate on it because it fails the test that makes it show 'HIGH'...
I can't even drain them in a reasonable time as they don't work in the MFLB..

VivaSativa,

luchiano

treecityrnd said:
cluffy said:
HOLD THAT HIT!!!!! :ko:
Please don't. We did the study a long time ago at Hopkins...depth, not duration. Others have followed up on our initial study with similar findings.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7853169
Marijuana smoking: effects of varying puff volume and breathhold duration.
Azorlosa JL, Greenwald MK & Stitzer ML (1995).
"...cast doubt on the common belief that prolonged breathholding of marijuana smoke enhances classical subjective effects associated with its reinforcing value in humans."

But, totally agree, as long as the trench still looks good, inhale the warm vapors. From other studies, most of the cloud you exhale is wasted cannabinoids. And on my budget I can't afford to be wasteful. Independent thinker, conservative vaporist. Reuse and recycle your ABV!

Did the study take into account people who exercise vs. nonactive people because I know for a fact when I didn't workout it was harder to hold the hit in for long which means I let a lot of smoke out and it didn't affect me as much as just more of a stone. When I started exercising to the point of near or at failure meaning I can't lift or run anymore I was able to hold the smoke until damn near nothing came out and the high was longer lasting which meant I saved money off of less and this was smoking not vaping. I did do do deep inhalations so I do agree depth of breathing plays a part.

Also a study should be done on people who use the powerlung because it enhances oxygen absorption by training the lungs through resistance.

Another thing that I think really helped but can't prove was when I started eating more fat and eating nuts and seeds which are also high in fat. It was easier to hold the smoke in and it seemed like the smoke was absorbed faster because I would exhale quicker than normal with the same effect of holding it in longer. It seems that the high polyunstaturated fat I was eating from the nuts and seeds was part of the fat in my lungs and help the absorption the smoke because polyunstaurated fat sucks up oxygen easily and if the cannabinoids are small enough to interact with air and attach to some some oxygen, it may be able to go with oxygen inside the lung and be absorbed faster than normal if a good amount of mono and especially polyunstaurated fat is in high amounts. It can also be that those foods are high in other nutrients like choline, vitamins and minerals that may aid the lungs in being efficient.

Maybe you should try these test even though I know it's hard to get certain people to go to those studies because a lot that go are hard up for money. I know because in my younger days I was going to do it at johns hopkins but stopped because I'm paranoid of hospitals(only go if I have to) and didn't want to be another Tuskegee airmen experiment.

luchiano,

Vitolo

Vaporist
VivaSativa said:
I can't even drain them in a reasonable time as they don't work in the MFLB..
I dont use alternative batteries any longer, I tried and they had varying discharge problems. I use the stock ones again now.
To discharge your batteries put them in any aa device like a flashlight, and leave it on.

Vitolo,

Nycdeisel

treecityrnd said:
NYC - just grabbed a cute little 1-foot SYN and this weekend and hooked it up exactly the same way. Hilarious. Great minds (ok, not so great on my end all the time) think alike. I think I have a crush on you. Are you married? ;)

Big fan of microhits and milking at once. May not be the most efficient but its effective and looks real nice.

Nice! I bet its a real solid, simple tube, enjoy it! haha Im flattered, but Im not married :brow:
:lol:

On a side note, I just love hitting bongs, with the LB or another vape, bongs are so much fun!

Nycdeisel,

treecityrnd

I'm blushing ^^^

VivaSativa said:
Are they dead?
Have you done multiple break-in cycles. The PowerEx booklet says that some batteries can be salvaged through multiple cycles. It might take all month...but never underestimate the C9000 IMO! It's saved sevaral of my old rechargables this way.
VivaSativa said:
Meanwhile I'm doing a break-in run for some other 2700 MAH batteries I had, hopefully they'll survive it.
Just finished my 40 hour break-in with new 2700s. Will see how the week goes :)

treecityrnd,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Hi,

First of all, thank you. Both for the research work and for the timely link.

treecityrnd said:
Anyone can walk to their local library and usually they will have access to any study I have collaborated on or published. Or any med school library will have it. Most libraries are public access.

I agree that this may remain true for some people, for a little while yet at least. Unfortunately, the trend is moving away from that, largely due to the internet itself. A lot of previously public libraries are closing due to lack of funding. For example, check out the article at
http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2011/may/18/country-without-libraries/

treecityrnd said:
All my research has been publicly funded grants with public access. I'm not "advertising" for PubMed.

I understand that -- and was not claiming that you were. I was making an observation about general trends: that the results of publicly funded research was being made inaccessible to the public because of pay-walls. Eventually, if things continue in this direction, the ability of the public to access public information will eventually be so expensive in terms of real effort so as to make it functionally inaccessible regardless.

As a taxpayer who has already paid for the research to be public, I find that having those results not be public is actually against the public interest. I was therefore encouraging you, as the researcher working in the public interest, to post your results where FC people could access it (which you did!).

My apologies if you may have mistaken the tone of my post -- I was trying to indicate support of your work and to commiserate at what I thought would be a common frustration. No personal blame was intended.

treecityrnd said:
... funding is horrible right now. It's a study that needs to be done if not yet.

Agreed.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
stickstones said:
magicflight said:
... the "milkyness" of a hit is actually an indicator of changing hit chemistry -- and not necessarily for the better.

Ok, this sounds like one of those things that is too good for me to miss. I have no idea what you are talking about, but I want to! Care to elaborate?

Hi Stickstones,

If you watch carefully and have good lighting, you may see a subtle change in the color of the vapor as things warm up. At first, it has a more transparent quality, and then beyond a certain temperature, it gets "whiter" and more 'streamy'. This is well before the appearance of true smoke, which again has yet another color and quality. Overall, vapor as we know it is a mixture of many different compounds. All of these "color" changes are indicators of changing chemistry -- some components appearing which were previously absent, etc. I am looking for a public study that I can cite as a reference that puts real numbers and compound types into this understanding.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

VivaSativa

treecityrnd said:
VivaSativa said:
Are they dead?
Have you done multiple break-in cycles. The PowerEx booklet says that some batteries can be salvaged through multiple cycles. It might take all month...but never underestimate the C9000 IMO! It's saved sevaral of my old rechargables this way.
I can't run another break-in cycle, because the batteries fail the "impedance check", as the manual calls it, which runs before any mode can start operating...

VivaSativa,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
magicflight said:
stickstones said:
magicflight said:
... the "milkyness" of a hit is actually an indicator of changing hit chemistry -- and not necessarily for the better.

Hi Stickstones,

If you watch carefully and have good lighting, you may see a subtle change in the color of the vapor as things warm up. At first, it has a more transparent quality, and then beyond a certain temperature, it gets "whiter" and more 'streamy'. This is well before the appearance of true smoke, which again has yet another color and quality. Overall, vapor as we know it is a mixture of many different compounds. All of these "color" changes are indicators of changing chemistry -- some components appearing which were previously absent, etc. I am looking for a public study that I can cite as a reference that puts real numbers and compound types into this understanding.

-- Magic-Flight

Thanks MF! Have you guys done any research regarding this? Your company seems to be on the cutting edge of testing things like this.

stickstones,

treecityrnd

I did imply tone from text. Sorry MagicFlight. My mistake and thank you for all your support. The research you have put into your device is the main reason why I own it. It's one of the most reliable devices ever and your research is validated time and again in the field. We're on the exact same page. Unfortunately some researchers get arrogant when they defending their work ;)

treecityrnd,

steven22

Hey guys, iv been using the powerex 2700 for the first time this past week... I am really liking it, it lasts longer and gets hotter

one gripe... seems the powerex is a tad bit thicker and bigger than the usual batteries... mine is a tight fit and cause of the friction, 60% of the time, the pushback ring cant push the battery back.

others experiencing this?... any resolution?... i burned my trench the other day cause I wasnt paying attention and trusted the push back ring... oops

I ordered a couple extra push back rings... and am gonna experiment with 2 or 3 in the unit to see if it provides enough strength to push the thick 2700's

steven22,

Vitolo

Vaporist
2 rings may be too thick and may not allow contact.
I like the powerex thickness. It makes for a more comfortable grip when hitting, and I just use 2 hands to slide it back after the hit. It allows more care free shaking afterwards too, as I dont need to hold onto the battery to avoid it falling or making contact.
The friction has positive sides too!
I didn't feel that way at first, but now after a few times, the thicker powerex battery is my preference!

Vitolo,

stroh

errl enthusiast
treecityrnd said:
stroh said:
this study is all well and good
Thank you for supporting my research Stroh. We need everyones support as most funding has been diverted to other higher priority grants like DOD, DHS, etc. Higher education, and in fact all academia, need your support. Thats why I love FC! Its one of the best sources of public education online.

stroh said:
but the test subjects were smoking rather than vaporizing. There have been other studies that show that exhaled vapor contains up to 30-40% unused THC, and is perfectly safe to hold in for as long as the user desires, given that oxygen deprivation doesn't come into play.
I agree that the data shows vaporization to be significantly safer than smoking, however longitudinal studies have not been done so it must be taken as acute effects. Like we have both said now; any vapor that you exhale is not absorbed (i.e., not biologically available) and thus contains "wasted active cannabinoids". I mentioned nothing about safety in my post and our study had very little to do with safety. We wanted to determine the physiological and subjective effects of inhaled marijuana smoke in normal subjects across several inhalation-related variables. These variables would apply to either smoke or vapor inhalation. It is simply a matter of physiology; your body cannot absorb all the vapor or smoke. A perfect analogy would be eating. Your body can only absorb so many calories per hour. That which is absorbed is available for your body to use. Anything more you put in is either wasted food (directly to poop) or turned into fat.

Edit: This is the MFLB forum, sorry for straying so far off topic. I love my MFLB and its my only vape until my DBV arrives. But really, what else could one need!

ahh i seem to have misinterpreted your post friend, carry on and stay medicated :D

stroh,

Learner

steven22 said:
I ordered a couple extra push back rings... and am gonna experiment with 2 or 3 in the unit to see if it provides enough strength to push the thick 2700's

Vitolo said:
2 rings may be too thick and may not allow contact.

maybe some material the thickness of the wire that is the positive contact cut in the shape of semi circles and placed on each side of the positive contact? then more of the push back ring would be pushing back.

Learner,

weedemon

enthusiast
VivaSativa try using another charger.

i read that the c-9000 can be picky and refuse to charge batteries it deems not good enough anymore.

weedemon,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Hi TreeCityRnd,

No problem -- I completely understand. Glad to have you among us!

VivaSativa said:
I can't run another break-in cycle, because the batteries fail the "impedance check", as the manual calls it, which runs before any mode can start operating...

Hi VivaSativa,

Have the batteries ever become hot while in use or while charging? Usually, the heat is what causes this, and unfortunately, it means that you will probably have to get new ones. They may still have a little power and could potentially be charged on a trickle charger, but they are unlikely to ever be useful for the Box again. If you elect to re-purpose them, be sure to wrap them in tape along the sides (not on either end).

StickStones said:
Have you guys done any research regarding {changes in vapor components due to temperature}? Your company seems to be on the cutting edge of testing things like this.

We have looked at some things in this area, but are not yet at the point where we feel that a reliable summary of our observations is ready for peer review. A lot more remains to be done, and this sort of thing is fairly time consuming to do and get right. We were hoping that someone might have already published some results that we could cite near term.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
magicflight said:
StickStones said:
Have you guys done any research regarding {changes in vapor components due to temperature}? Your company seems to be on the cutting edge of testing things like this.

We have looked at some things in this area, but are not yet at the point where we feel that a reliable summary of our observations is ready for peer review. A lot more remains to be done, and this sort of thing is fairly time consuming to do and get right. We were hoping that someone might have already published some results that we could cite near term.

-- Magic-Flight

Do you have any gut feelings or initial findings that are worth sharing that we as users could look out for as we vape? I'd be interested in knowing what you think is going on and then see if in-the-field testing supports it!

stickstones,

stroh

errl enthusiast
i was wondering for future reference if magic-flight is still offering the custom box service where one is able to request an exotic wood, or even send in a sample to be made into a launchbox, i would be very interested in a purple heart box if at all possible :brow:

stroh,
Top Bottom