• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

howie105

You are going to get a range of answers about the safety of the materials used in the box. However as a current and long term user I haven't seen any obvious problems.

Jimiblues

If you're trying to avoid electronics and plastics the mflb is for you. It's as minimalistic as it gets. It's basically made of wood, steel,stainless steel, and plexiglass The stainless steel doesn't get hot enough to emit toxic fumes. That being said the mflb is a good vaporizer in terms of flavor....you don't get odd flavors. Hope this is helpful

FriendBud

Thank you for the answers. The members that question the safety of the material, what exactly are they worried about?

FriendBud,

howie105

Thank you for the answers. The members that question the safety of the material, what exactly are they worried about?
All kinds of things, how the trench mesh is attached to the conductive rods, the mesh itself, the woods used, what might be growing at the bottom of the trench , heck I have even heard fearful concerns expressed about the glass indicator bulb. The problem is once some people start down the paranoia rabbit hole its hard to stop.

howie105,
Reactions: mixchu69

FriendBud

Yeah, true. You can basically worry about every little small thing until you go insane. Well, I'll buy the MFLB as my next vaporizer! Is the grinder that you can buy for about 20$ (don't really remember) that is specifically made for the MFLB really necessary?

FriendBud,

howie105

Yeah, true. You can basically worry about every little small thing until you go insane. Well, I'll buy the MFLB as my next vaporizer! Is the grinder that you can buy for about 20$ (don't really remember) that is specifically made for the MFLB really necessary?

The matching grinder was made for the job but its may not be necessary, some folks do fine with a medium grind. A suggestion of hanging onto the option list and see which of the many options you may really want or need. Extra batteries are nice and their little bubbler is real good and useful with some other vapes. Good Luck

howie105,
The Nano grinder is a nice little device. I use mine all the time instead of my Humboldt grinder because I like to grind fresh for every session and I usually use only 0.1gm. The longer you grind the finer the flower gets. A great addition to your MFLB toolset is the Finishing Grinder. It produces super-fine herb that allows for the most complete extraction possible for the MFLB, which, IMHO, is the most efficient vaporizer available. So if conserving your herb is a priority, get both grinders. They are designed to fit perfectly into the opening of the LB so you don't spill herb anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Flight...8&qid=1483579310&sr=1-1&keywords=nano+grinder

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Flight-Finishing-Grinder-Walnut/dp/B00GNKFOTI?th=1

IceMann997

Random question, but how do you know when the battery is dead for the lb? does the light in the trench stop illuminating or is there a sign that tells you?

banana_republic

Hello!

Random question, but how do you know when the battery is dead for the lb? does the light in the trench stop illuminating or is there a sign that tells you?

Yes, you'll know for sure when your battery charge is about to end... Either the led starts to go very weak, or the box stops creating satisfactory vapor...

Cheers

IceMann997

Oh sweet, thanks! I got one today and I love it :). However, one thing does bother me. I cant seem to get vapor to show up in the trench like alot of the videos I've seen. I hold down the battery for 5 seconds I dont see anything and even for 10 seconds.

OF

I cant seem to get vapor to show up in the trench like alot of the videos I've seen. I hold down the battery for 5 seconds I dont see anything and even for 10 seconds.

Don't get hung up on not getting the same (visual) results, it's a classic 'new guy trap'. Like many vapes, performance depends heavily on owner technique/skills/experience. This is not a 'smart vape', you have to drive it. The smart part is your being smart to get one?

Visible vapor also depends a LOT on herb. Strain, grid, and especially cure (dryness) are very important. There is only a tiny bit of power (a couple Watts) to do the good work, you have to manage it very well to get visual results worthy of impressing the YouTube bunch. You can only work with the small fraction of the load contacting the screen (conduction), and only have barely enough power for that.

Keep your herb well cured (dried properly), we can't waste power drying the water rather than making vapor. Grind it fine (to very fine), we need small bits that will make solid contact with the mesh, everything that doesn't touch can't help make vapor this hit but can screw it up if it steals heat uselessly. Keep your 'battery' well charged (it's really a "cell", not a "battery", if there's only one.....), that is swap in fresh ones often as you learn. With time/experience you'll learn to judge the status of the charge (you should get a trench plus easily), but at the start eliminate this factor with freshly charged replacements? The herb has to be high quality (potent) to work well, there's only a tiny bit of it heated enough to make vapor remember, unlike say blazing?

If your load is really fresh (you might consider changing it often at first, save the ABV and have another try later) you can get a useful visual 'gauge' by looking for condensation on the inner lid surface, don't try to hit it before the vapor is there, cold air will rob the heat otherwise.

Finally, remember that's conduction and only a tiny bit is active so "SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE" between hits so fresh material is available for the next try.

Experiment. Follow the results you like. It will come to you if you look for it. Lots of guys with less going for them than you have done so, it can't be that hard?

Regards and best wishes.

OF

mplx

Excellent guide OF :tup:

Oh sweet, thanks! I got one today and I love it :). However, one thing does bother me. I cant seem to get vapor to show up in the trench like alot of the videos I've seen. I hold down the battery for 5 seconds I dont see anything and even for 10 seconds.

After using the LB for 1,5 years i`m still a noob and i don`t get all "special" techniques and tricks with huge clouds that i read about, and see on YT working. So i must be very disappointed he? Ha not at all:D

Just don`t focus on what you see. If the right stuff vaporizes, you will taste it. If the temperature is right you will feel it when you inhale. The first hit never gives me much clouds (PA@50%); when herbs start to lose its green color i vape them at higher temps (PA@75%~85%). Now i get some more visible vapor when i exhale.

My advice, just use the LB the way YOU like it, and after a few times you will get use to it and see some cloudy vapor.

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
First, I do not recommend you try this and am not responsible if you hurt yourself.

I have made a 510 threaded adapter. I literally just finished and tested it once. I can only test it once cause I am dry and it will be awhile before I get more, but I could not wait to present it to you guys. It worked well enough. I am using it with a muad dib. That is why i made it in the first place. AA was just not cutting it and I do not own a PA. Hit was through the roof.

First you need a 510 base with a chimney that will fit the AA battery compartment. I was lucky and had just the one.

GuUpEPY.jpg

It is a Billow v2 RDA.

maxresdefault.jpg

Next you take a cap and slip it over the positive post. I found something that fit just perfect.

CwCgLck.jpg

It's the end cap of a Pilot Vanishing Point H1005 pencil.

da187b03d64f1263a52daaa6e23f20d9.jpg

dgsuyv7.jpg

Again, do not try this. I am not responsible if you hurt yourself.

Here is an action shot. Muad Dib dabs just got real.

JX4XhNs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

YungLeaner

First, I do not recommend you try this and am not responsible if you hurt yourself.

I have made a 510 threaded adapter. I literally just finished and tested it once. I can only test it once cause I am dry and it will be awhile before I get more, but I could not wait to present it to you guys. It worked well enough. I am using it with a muad dib. That is why i made it in the first place. AA was just not cutting it and I do not own a PA. Hit was through the roof.

First you need a 510 base with a chimney that will fit the AA battery compartment. I was lucky and had just the one.

GuUpEPY.jpg

It is a Billow v2 RDA.

maxresdefault.jpg

Next you take a cap and slip it over the positive post. I found something that fit just perfect.

CwCgLck.jpg

It's the end cap of a Pilot Vanishing Point H1005 pencil.

da187b03d64f1263a52daaa6e23f20d9.jpg

dgsuyv7.jpg

Again, do not try this. I am not responsible if you hurt yourself.

Here is an action shot. Muad Dib dabs just got real.

JX4XhNs.jpg
That's lit as fuck lol

I would need a bubbler to hit that.

YungLeaner,

L'Alchimiste

I wrote an email to magic flight support about my concern of the plexiglass LID and any kind of bad toxic gas that could be emitted by the device and breathed by the user.

I think many people are interested by this topic, this is why I share the answer from the magic flight support with you.

My email was:
-----------------------------------------------
I have a question about the lid made in acrylic (plexiglass). I'm little bit concerned about this part because there are the hot screens bellow and I'm wondering if the heat of the trench and the hot material inside can cause some release of toxic gaz from the lid. More over, during a session, the manual tells to shake the device so I'm thinking to myself there are some hot stuffs that may come into contact of the acrylic lid and perhaps cause some chemical migrations, don't they ?

Why do you use acrylic ? Did you do some tests that proove the safety of your device ? A solid glass would not have been safer ? I think you made some studies about it but I didn't find any scientific explanations why the acrylic is a safe choice. I will be happy if you can give me some information about that.

The answer:
Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us here at Magic-Flight. Before talking about the acrylic, i want to stress the EVERY part of the Launch Box has been tested for safely. For example, the heating element is a stainless steel mesh, like those found in high-end cookware. There are no chemicals used for bonding — it is an aggregate physical process (specifically, there is absolutely no solder and no lead).

Magic-Flight has made all possible efforts to ensure/guarantee the complete and total health and safety of this device! There are no hazardous materials used.

OK, so regarding the acrylic (plexiglass) cover of the Launch Box: There are several factors that prevent this from outgassing. First- the acrylic we’re using will only begin to degrade and outgas at close to 540 degrees. At it’s hottest point, with a power adapter set to the highest setting, the Launch Box will only reach close to 450 degrees. Second- despite being close to the screen, the acrylic cover is positioned in the box in an area that generally measures around 200 degrees. That’s over 300 degrees less than the temperature necessary to cause outgassing.

There is no out-gassing (fumes) of any kind from any of the metal parts used in the Launch Box. To fully illustrate this, let’s analyze the total volume and constitution of the collected condensate derived from an empty Box operating according to “one hit” test protocol (15 seconds of operation with an air flow rate that stabilized the temperature at 385F).

Disregarding the fraction which is water, the remainder is less than 30 micrograms — less that what is possible to measure with our test equipment, and at least 4 orders of magnitude less than what would be considered the biological threshold for any of the material used the the Box.

This would equate to at least a “4 nines” confidence interval of safety, or 99.99% clean. The actual vale is probably/realistically higher, but this is what we can actually test to at this moment. Also, just for completeness, the constitution of the condensate (if any) would be organic aromatic hydrocarbons derived from the heated wood, so — NO acrylic ions! :)

The Launch Box was invented to literally help others breathe easier, and we feel fully confident that it does exactly that — and safely! Please let us know if there are any questions left unanswered. We want you to be fully enabled to enjoy your Launch Box, and are always here for you as part of our Magic-Flight family.

Modicum

@ OF, How does one use the MFLB Orbiter with other vapes? Do you know the measurements of the adapters needed ?

Modicum,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Do you know the measurements of the adapters needed ?

I'm not @OF but can answer your question.

The Orbiter is 14mm so you can use any vape that has a 14mm male adapter, if you use a vape that's uses an 18mm male joint you'll need an adapter that's 14mm male/18mm female.

Hope that helps.
RB

Modicum

Gotcha ,thanks RUDE BOY.

Do you think an Alfa is doable with the orbiter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Modicum,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

collegerower

Hey Everyone,

I recently picked up a set of new batteries from Puffitup, and as you can see in the picture below they arrived showing visible signs of discharging, or venting (not sure the exact term, except to say its not corrosion, but like a fine powder....)

c4ddmBk.jpg

Because PUI is great, they are sending out a new set of batteries, but I wanted to see if these might be safe to use? Should I run away from these ticking time bombs?

Also on a site note, I have not used my box in a few years (I put it aside for my arizer air, but am enjoying using it with the PA I have. I have not been up to date with MFLB tech, but I was hoping to make sure my old standard MFLB charger will work without a problem once I get a set of working "Gold" batteries. Here it is:

60n3AjL.jpg

yTak28w.jpg

Thanks Everyone!

collegerower,
Reactions: OF

OF

I recently picked up a set of new batteries from Puffitup, and as you can see in the picture below they arrived showing visible signs of discharging, or venting (not sure the exact term, except to say its not corrosion, but like a fine powder....)

Because PUI is great, they are sending out a new set of batteries, but I wanted to see if these might be safe to use? Should I run away from these ticking time bombs?

Also on a site note, I have not used my box in a few years (I put it aside for my arizer air, but am enjoying using it with the PA I have. I have not been up to date with MFLB tech, but I was hoping to make sure my old standard MFLB charger will work without a problem once I get a set of working "Gold" batteries.

What you see is not evidence of any problem I believe. It can't really leak, it's very well sealed. Two such failures 'back to back' are basically impossible. There's a 'one shot' safety under the cap (the reason for the gaps) for emergencies but that would be very evident. I assume they charge and run normally, it's probably the adhesive from the wrap we used to fight with in the dark days when we 'pealed our own'. For sure it's not corrosion.....SS is known for not corroding. If it was subject to attach the nasty stuff would be attacking from the inside?

Great on Randy for promptly replacing them, but if they were mine I'd be using them without fear.

Your call, as ever.

Enjoy your LB, great little units.

OF

mucsusn

60 going on 20
Hey Everyone,

c4ddmBk.jpg

Also on a site note, I have not used my box in a few years (I put it aside for my arizer air, but am enjoying using it with the PA I have. I have not been up to date with MFLB tech, but I was hoping to make sure my old standard MFLB charger will work without a problem once I get a set of working "Gold" batteries. Here it is:

60n3AjL.jpg

yTak28w.jpg

Thanks Everyone!
Since these are NiMH batts, what you see is likely electrolyte that has leaked out under pressure. If it is not a manufacturing defect, then it is likely over pressure caused by careless charging. Although not dangerous per se, it is likely that once venting has occurred, the spring loaded seal may never properly and fully close again. As a matter of good mechanical habit, I would dispose of the batts and take no risk, especially for the amount of money involved. And, yes, venting is the proper term.

Your charger is set up for NiMH cells, so it should be fine.

mudshark

Vaporist
I've posted this once before but it bears repeating....

My Model V-818 battery charger from Magic Flight states on the back:
One (1) NiMH AA - charges at 1400 mA
Two (2) NiMH AA - charges at 700 mA

When I charge one battery at a time it gets VERY hot upon completion. When I charge two batteries at a time they get moderately hot upon completion.

Excessive heat is not good for NiMH batteries, either charging or discharging. That is why I purchased a Powerex Maha MH-C9000 charger/analyzer/conditioner. Couldn't be more pleased.

If you stick with the stock mflb charger, then charge two batteries at the same time. Less heat and they will last longer.

Top Bottom