The HI

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Nice pipe Alan. I've got to say, cocobolo is one of my favorite woods. It shines up so nicely.

I used to have a pipe similar to that. I got it on a trip to Colorado about 40 years ago. Bought it in a bar in Nederland, Colorado. Unfortunately, mine is gone; lost in an incident where I didn't get busted, but came damn close. I loved that pipe...

I'm looking forward to seeing how my HI and my bubbler from Leviathon work together. Cannot wait to get it and see if I can come close to what BigDaddy pulls off.:D

Any vape that hits like the HI, will be a HUGE hit with the Lev Bubbler. I thought vaping, with the pieces I had... I had tasted the flavors in the herb. OMG... no. I hadn't. It is/was a more whole new glass/water experience, than I've had in my entire life. I know that sounds like hyperbole... but the piece, really does hit absolutely perfect. Though, it does have a slight learning curve (the water level for you and then how to keep the turbulence down, to properly stack and keep drag/glug away).

The oddest thing I noticed and I'm not sure if this is solely a function of the perc. It has a 20mm wall down tube, which is actually pretty narrow (but, perfect for the design/function and to carry it around). This narrow tube, in conjunction with the hand-woven lattice... when you go to clear, its like your airway opens completely and your lungs just kind of transfer the whole volume in an instant whoooosh of air. It is eye-opening, to say the least... the first time you try it.

I'm sure its not the only perc, nor piece that works as well. But, out of my 8 HQ pieces and some that I really, really like... its not even a contest. The SSFG Travel Beaker and Ray's showerhead come close, only for the fun with bubbles aspect. But, can't touch that instant transfer of vapor to your lungs.

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Nice idea with the pipe Alan! I dig cocobolo and make those in pipes as well as other species. My bowl is a 1/2" ID so should work really well on the HI, I will give it a try this afternoon. I can sure pack a big load in my tokes so would be nice to use the HI like this.

Am still really enjoying the two HI's I have, the wood roasting tube is still my favorite all them all.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I tell you, if you get one of these new bubblers from Leviathan/M&M Tech, if you run hot, watch your roast. I've combusted two loads already. I have to keep the HI just at the tip. No complaints though. With the incredible air flow you get a roast all the way down through the herb, to the screen. Definitely no difficulty ever coming away with dark roast AVB with this setup.

Though, the number one benefit I've found, is the load doesn't ever really pack down even taking it to the roast. Since I'm not really ever inserting the HI into the glass, there really isn't the slightest of seal, so no vaccuum... no real packing. Only the airflow pulling it down. Smooth, easy roast, until the cache.

Loving this thing.

BigDaddyVapor,

u bwade wunner

thanks Alan

I guess the hi is the only log with an island heat port (without a washer or heatsink on top of the tube) so the solo aroma cup drops right down and fits it perfectly..Its bowls glass supporting tube is 11mm wide and 20mm or so deep so the heat port really holds it solid and in place.Theres just a little gap under the bowl to allow excess heat to escape from the heatport.I ve just ordered 4 more from PV.

arizer-solo-potpourri-dish.jpg

It should be renamed the hi aroma cup considering Arizer only invented it to sell the solo as an aromatherapy device,Its completely non functional on the solo :lol: made me snigger when I first recieved it with my solo.Glad i found some sound use for it

Nice pipe by the way. Gandalf would love that one.the twists on the stem are very unique for a pipe

Mom and BDV.Its so exciting in the glass thread.hope you both enjoy Levs bub and thanks for all your e hard work BDV.Its awesome to see:rockon:

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I'm gonna search this thread tonight for VV discussions, unless any of you want to throw up some links to good VV supplies. Have we landed on a concensus on a few good ones?

stickstones,

jackmormon

Hey sticks,

I have been using this one for about 8 months running 24/7. Besides the price, quality, and free shipping one of the advantages is that you can either attach your cord to two banana clips. Or, you can strip the wires on your cord, loosen the knobs, insert the wires and tighten the knobs to connect them. I have one cord I made, one I bought from UD Dave, and the third I just found an old DC power supply with the right connector and clipped the cord off.

The only downside that I have found is the colors. This unit also performs as well as a lab grade one I purchase for about $150.00. The lab grade one just sits on the shelf as this one is smaller, cooler, and performs as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tekpower-HY...=WDVW&rd=1&ih=006&category=58288&cmd=ViewItem

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Hey sticks,

I have been using this one for about 8 months running 24/7. Besides the price, quality, and free shipping one of the advantages is that you can either attach your cord to two banana clips. Or, you can strip the wires on your cord, loosen the knobs, insert the wires and tighten the knobs to connect them. I have one cord I made, one I bought from UD Dave, and the third I just found an old DC power supply with the right connector and clipped the cord off.

The only downside that I have found is the colors. This unit also performs as well as a lab grade one I purchase for about $150.00. The lab grade one just sits on the shelf as this one is smaller, cooler, and performs as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tekpower-HY...=WDVW&rd=1&ih=006&category=58288&cmd=ViewItem

Isn't 2A, too much? I thought the HI was supposed to be good at 12V, 1A, about 12W. Or do you cut the voltage to compensate for the higher current?

vorrange,

jackmormon

Hey Vorrange,

The HI or any other log vape will only draw the amperage needed which does vary by voltage applied and the total resistance of the vape including the cord.

A 2A VVPS is perfect and can actually run 2 or 3 log vapes at the same time.

My higher end "lab grade" VVPS is 30V & 6amps with adjustments for both. The voltage adjustment adjusts the voltage up or down. The amperage adjustment will only LIMIT the amps put out. When I hook my HI up to it, I will turn the volts to about 11.5 and amps will read at about .58. I can't turn the amps up, the unit will only draw what it will draw. But I can turn them down which is useless for a log vape. The only benefit of having an amp readout is you can figure the resistance of your unit based on voltage applied and amps drawn. Too vaked to remember the formula now ;)

I find the 39.99 TekPower VVPS is perfect for all my log vapes and there is no danger of too much amperage. The only problem would be a VVPS that doesn't put out the amperage that the vape draws.

(I have run an HI, an Underdog, and a CRZ simultaneously on the TekPower with no issues. I refer to this setup as "The Holy Trinity" of log vapes. Works great running one at a time which is my norm.)

I am a HUGE van of a good VVPS unit with all log vapes. I don't think I could give up the control that they provide.

My usual with the HI is to have it on 24/7 at 8 volts and I will turn it up to 11.5 to 12.5 for 10 minutes before use. With an Underdog I let it rest at 10V and turn it up to 13.2 - 13.4 for 10 minutes before use. I don't know if this is true, but I think a lower resting temp will help longevity but the vape can still be ready to go in a few minutes. It is also nice to be able to apply different temps for different strains and especially for concentrates.

ghost>boogie on

iko-iko all day
^spot on.
i'm running my UD with the TekPower at those same numbers.
it kicks ass.
my two month on the list day is Thursday.
getting closer.
woot

ghost>boogie on,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Hey Vorrange,

The HI or any other log vape will only draw the amperage needed which does vary by voltage applied and the total resistance of the vape including the cord.

A 2A VVPS is perfect and can actually run 2 or 3 log vapes at the same time.

My higher end "lab grade" VVPS is 30V & 6amps with adjustments for both. The voltage adjustment adjusts the voltage up or down. The amperage adjustment will only LIMIT the amps put out. When I hook my HI up to it, I will turn the volts to about 11.5 and amps will read at about .58. I can't turn the amps up, the unit will only draw what it will draw. But I can turn them down which is useless for a log vape. The only benefit of having an amp readout is you can figure the resistance of your unit based on voltage applied and amps drawn. Too vaked to remember the formula now ;)

I find the 39.99 TekPower VVPS is perfect for all my log vapes and there is no danger of too much amperage. The only problem would be a VVPS that doesn't put out the amperage that the vape draws.

(I have run an HI, an Underdog, and a CRZ simultaneously on the TekPower with no issues. I refer to this setup as "The Holy Trinity" of log vapes. Works great running one at a time which is my norm.)

I am a HUGE van of a good VVPS unit with all log vapes. I don't think I could give up the control that they provide.

My usual with the HI is to have it on 24/7 at 8 volts and I will turn it up to 11.5 to 12.5 for 10 minutes before use. With an Underdog I let it rest at 10V and turn it up to 13.2 - 13.4 for 10 minutes before use. I don't know if this is true, but I think a lower resting temp will help longevity but the vape can still be ready to go in a few minutes. It is also nice to be able to apply different temps for different strains and especially for concentrates.

Thanks Jack! :D

The formula is V = R.I , ahah, that bit i know. Thanks for clarifying my doubts, i have to get a VVPS as well. ;)

vorrange,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
jack...do you think that VV you are using will last a long time? The cheap ones that I've tried both crapped out after no more than a month. Just interested in your opinion, not a backing of the thing. Does it have a decent warranty?

stickstones,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Very well put JM, nothing I can really add there.

Sticks, Dave used to sell those flamed PSUs as an option way back, but stopped offering them at some point. I believe most of the units he sold are still working but some of the units crapped out to soon, you could make a little inquiry in the UD thread about the longevity if you want to get some hands-on info.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I have the next model down from the Hildebrandt. The voltage adjustment isn't very accurate (you have to screw with it for a minute or so, to get your voltage), it reads -.15vdc low and runs hot. Though, I do keep a fan blowing on it, almost constantly.

It works, great however. I thought I had switched back to the fixed voltage, but as much as I like to switch up my glass, its easier to just adjust the VVPS, rather than worry about flaming a load because I'm medicated.

If/when this one craps out, I will be buying the Hildebrandt. I do know the brand and they have a good rep. The reviews I've read on that unit, are pretty glowing to.

EDIT: Pardon my vdc error. The voltage on my unit reads 0.15 lower than it actually is. Its pretty linear, so not much of a problem. The range I run it, the error doesn't deviate more than +/-.04

BigDaddyVapor,

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
BVD the only reason I think my original burnt out was from 24/7 use with my CRZ. I don't do that anymore. I shut it off at night and on in the morning. I do like how precise and stable the Hildebrandts are. I recieved my roasting tube today. Definately need 2 just in case. I've discovered in the world of MMJ,,,,I need 2 of everything. :leaf:

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Jeppy - Glad to hear your roasting tube arrived safely. Curious to see how you like the new SS roasting tip. I am also amazed that I still have my first pipe. Have been pretty lucky overall. I also still have my 1977 Odyssey glass Toker II which works very well with a Turbo Tube. I have only been able to try some spearmint leaves in my modified wood pipe as it is very dry around here. Looks like I am in for a long break. Gives me more motivation to finish the move.

Mom - Sorry to hear that you lost your pipe like mine. Hope you are having a great time with your Leviathon. Looking forward to the day that I can start a glass collection.

Thanks staticsunn.

Ed - Glad you are still enjoying the wood tube. Something about how it feels in your hands. Interested to hear if the silicone from the Turbo Tube will work in your Tokes.

BigDaddyVapor - Glad to hear you are still having a great time with the HIsaber Sumac. It is getting close to one year that I have had my Dark Cherry HI operating almost continuously. I am not seeing any signs of charring. It is even the old style core where the sleeve is not connected to the washer. Still not getting loose. Hopefully, it will be good for another 29 years. I'm feeling more comfortable about offering the lifetime warranty.

Thanks SativaLover420. Glad to see that I won't have to just keep the pipe around for a keepsake. Looking forward to really testing it out.

stickstones - I have been still looking for a less expensive VVPS but not having any luck. The unit that jackmormon pointed out (thanks) should be fairly robust. My HY152A power supply is still going strong. It is in about the same price range as the HY1502.

VapeVoice - Thanks for song. I also like the length of it (4:20). There are still a few ahead of you but I'm getting closer to completing the move. Sorry it is taking so long. I'm not really having a good time right now.

jackmormon - Glad to be included in your trinity. Sounds like you have the voltages dialed in where you like them.

u bwade wunner - Thanks for the photo of the Solo cup. I have never seen one before. I will have to order some to try for myself. Glad you like the pipe.

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
JedHI Master - FYI: I just sent you an email about getting some WonG action :brow:

No doubt it will be a great addition to my little glass roasting tube collection.

Vapinghole,
Top Bottom