The HI

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Yeah it's cool, I've been following this thread for so long and I'm excited to get mine. This by far, even more than the cloud has been the vape that excites me the most. Thanks everyone for helping ease the sting of the wait.

Really mvapes? More than the Cloud? Common man! ;-)

I must say I felt the same way about getting my HI towards the end of my wait--I pre-ordered the HI and Cloud at about the same time and I was more stoked about the HI. I'd be distraught if I lost/broke my HI.

I just can't believe the LOVE for the HI. I must admit, my experience communication with Alan has been amazing. I can't wait to join the revolution, and hopefully add some questions to the discussion (that haven't been asked already ofcourse) :) Seeya on the island soon amigos.

Yes, come join us and become a JedHI in waiting! It only takes an email to Alan! :nod:

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
Upon finishing the thread up this afternoon, I immediately preceded to my email client and contacted Alan to reserve my spot to become apart of this happy thread, and to begin my 'JedHI' training. Thanks for love and thoughts you guys have for this vape, it's quite astounding the support. Also especially thanks to Alan for making the island. I will be countng the days. Also I assure you I will drooling over pictures and videos of the hi in action for months until I'm lucky enough to have my first log vape. :cheers:

Vapinghole

Excellent news, kushcabage! So happy to have you with us. :clap:

This is a special thread and it's chalk full of great FC folks that have helped me save lots of time and $$. Plus, they're all a bunch of clever SOBs!

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
Hah all a bunch of wise asses if you ask me! Kidding aside everyone's thoughts and discussions here have been very refreshing and positive for the end goal of getting high with the heat island. This will be my first deciated home vape, since getting rid of the the eq and volcano also my first log vape. Looking foward to keep hearing all your experiences with such a pretty sweet vaporizer, until I have one all to myself!

Jurassic

I must say I felt the same way about getting my HI towards the end of my wait--I pre-ordered the HI and Cloud at about the same time and I was more stoked about the HI. I'd be distraught if I lost/broke my HI.

Yes, come join us and become a JedHI in waiting! It only takes an email to Alan! :nod:

"come join us" lol Reminds me of one of my favourite tunes by Bad Religion :) JedHI sounds pretty awesome lol

So are you saying you wouldn't be distraught if you broke your Cloud? lol I'm starting to get an impression that HI maybe > than Cloud?? If so, in which ways?

I honestly still havent had the time to read the thread, only the first few pages so i'm actually afraid to ask questions cuz of noobness, but one concern I had (but don't anymore is combusting, not an issue once you know what you are doing), BUT, i'm concerned a bit about heat/harshness... is this a valid concern if you are not using it through water? The only glass I will have is a VXL Hydratube, so I guess I could get an 18mm adapter for the 14mm all glass turbo tube and use it like a mini cloud? I'm guessing there are vids in this thread like that?

Jurassic,
I don't own a Cloud so I certainly can't comment on differences in performance, but you can tell why people like having both in their arsenal just by looking at them. The HI fits and feels REALLY nice in your hand; the Cloud is larger and plasticky. I drop my HIs occasionally or they fall onto their side on the table, but the chance of damage is minimal because the units weigh so little; dropping the Cloud would probably be a big no-no given the heavier weight and glass internals. The HI is very natural when it comes to actually picking it up and using it, whether you're quickly flipping it upside down to use with a bubbler or bringing it up to your face for direct draw; the Cloud thread is littered with posts reminding others that they have to be careful not to break their water pipe joints or the joint on the Cloud.

Oh, and the HI costs about 2/3rds less..

X24

I don't own a Cloud so I certainly can't comment on differences in performance, but you can tell why people like having both in their arsenal just by looking at them. The HI fits and feels REALLY nice in your hand; the Cloud is larger and plasticky. I drop my HIs occasionally or they fall onto their side on the table, but the chance of damage is minimal because the units weigh so little; dropping the Cloud would probably be a big no-no given the heavier weight and glass internals. The HI is very natural when it comes to actually picking it up and using it, whether you're quickly flipping it upside down to use with a bubbler or bringing it up to your face for direct draw; the Cloud thread is littered with posts reminding others that they have to be careful not to break their water pipe joints or the joint on the Cloud.

Oh, and the HI costs about 2/3rds less..

This is exactly why I'm considering a log style vape.

X24,
Reactions: TV

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I'd use the HI if I wanted either quick, quiet (my Cloud is a noisy beta), or efficient vaping.

I'd use the Cloud if I wanted the best taste possible or a fucking punch in the face.

(I usually end up in the fucking punch in the face camp!)

cjwally

What would it include to be put on the waiting list? Also, how long is the waiting list at this point? My PD bit the dust yesterday and is now cold :( which is kind of creepy since it has always been so warm and inviting for the past few years... super bummed but life goes on.

cjwally,

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
What would it include to be put on the waiting list? Also, how long is the waiting list at this point? My PD bit the dust yesterday and is now cold :( which is kind of creepy since it has always been so warm and inviting for the past few years... super bummed but life goes on.

just hit alan up with an email : alan@toasty-top.com

the wait is 3+ months, sorry to hear about your pd :( but i know the HI is worth the wait. :)

Vapinghole

So are you saying you wouldn't be distraught if you broke your Cloud? lol I'm starting to get an impression that HI maybe > than Cloud?? If so, in which ways?

If I broke my Cloud, I'd be upset for sure...very upset. It's an incredible machine. But then I'd simply order another after consoling myself with my HI (or one of my other vapes). My HI is irreplaceable--it's the only of its kind, just like every HI Alan makes. Alan made mine with my bass guitar in mind, and it matches almost perfectly. If I lost/broke that beyond repair, I'd feel far worse than if it were my Cloud.

I don't feel one is better than the other--they are good for different things. I love the variety.

I'd use the HI if I wanted either quick, quiet (my Cloud is a noisy beta), or efficient vaping. I'd use the Cloud if I wanted the best taste possible or a fucking punch in the face. (I usually end up in the fucking punch in the face camp!)

+1 all around for me (though my Cloud isn't too noisy--newer version?).

i just got my HI today and all i can say is that it was well worth the wait. Instantly my fav in my collection

Congratulations, tig! :tup: Can't wait to see what you think. Pictures, perhaps, when you have time? I'd love to see what Alan turned for you, and I'm sure the other JedHIs would too!

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Upon finishing the thread up this afternoon, I immediately preceded to my email client and contacted Alan to reserve my spot to become apart of this happy thread, and to begin my 'JedHI' training. Thanks for love and thoughts you guys have for this vape, it's quite astounding the support. Also especially thanks to Alan for making the island. I will be countng the days. Also I assure you I will drooling over pictures and videos of the hi in action for months until I'm lucky enough to have my first log vape. :cheers:

Welcome to the waiting room! Lol - thanks for taking the sting of the wait away vapinghole, this forum does help us future jedhi's. :cool:

Jurassic

Do most of you use the VV or just a standard and alter airflow? What Alan provides looks massive. Is there a basic wall wart type plug that can be used?

Jurassic,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I use the variable PSU in my sign at home (click 'temp control' for a photo).

When I bring it to a friends house for instance I use a standard 12V wall adapter with a simple LED dimmer. It's one like this, it also works well when I power my HI of my bike's battery & they are only a few bucks on ebay.

dimmer_groot.jpg

The plugs match the ones you find on all the log vapes.

edit: I forgot, but if you don't want the vvps Alan can include a regular 12V wall adapter as well. It'll save you about 15 bucks I believe? I would recommend some sort of control that can tune it down just a tad though. It seems that most of us here agree that the HI is a bit to hot on 12V unless you don't mind mixing in some cool air with your hits using the proper technique.

The plugs used are very common btw, the wall-adapter I use is one that came with a Western Digital external hardrive. I have another one that matches that's from a Princess beard trimmer, lol.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
tig420 - Glad to hear your HI arrived safely and you are enjoying it. You have taken your first step into a larger world. Have fun practicing.

Jeppy - Thanks again for the stones.

OhTheAgony - The first ding hurts the worst. That is one of the nice things about my bamboo HI. It is very hard and does not show dings. I even dropped it on my shop floor the other day with no damage. It has hardly any mass to do damage to itself. One of the nice things about this style of vaporizer.
Thanks for the link to dimmer. It looks like it only uses 0.5 watts of power so it shouldn't get too hot. Not sure how easy it is to bump the knob, but you could always put a piece of tape on it after finding your sweet spot. I'm still looking for something with a display on it.

mvapes - Sorry that I have to make you wait. Wish I had enough for everyone right now. Glad that it excites you more than the Cloud. It does have some advantages.

Vapinghole - Thanks for helping to make it such a cool thread.

Jurassic - You will be caught up before long. Hope you enjoy the show so far.

kushcabbage - Thanks for contacting me. Will try to get your JedHI training started soon.

OKcomputer - Thanks for the support.

stickstones - Hope that is a pleasant punch in the face.

cjwally - Sorry to hear about your PD. I have you on the waiting list now. Thanks.

bOObs - Thanks for the email link. It may be longer than 3 months unfortunately.

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yeah, I may have to stick to hard woods for my future logs, lol. Then again, what if one of those falls on one of my glass pieces..? :uhoh:

I wish I liked rubber as a material :lol:

I've used that dimmer for about 3 to 4 hours straight a few times now and I can't recall it got noticeably hot or even warm, but I only use it to take half a volt off at most. I've marked a few favorite positions with a marker to write on CD's & DVD's on mine.

I got a present today, well, two actually. No pictures yet though, I think I'm just gonna keep teasing you guys :lol:

Quickie:

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
beautiful pattern you have on that maple burl Hi mate, loving the milk. Hmm what to do to pass the time until I can wield my own Hi around like a lightsaber..

kushcabbage,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Thanks, unfortunately my stupid camera refused to focus. But I'm still practicing on vape-video's & just discovered the manual focus button so there will be better ones eventually I'm sure.

But yeah, that burl is really crazy. I love that it has a face myself.

I did a quick photo shoot yesterday as well if anyone wants a better look, but I'm afraid you're going to have to hop over to the Wychwood thread for those :)

OhTheAgony,

Vapinghole

Alan & JedHIs - Did y'all feel a disturbance in the force? If so, no need to worry! It was merely bOObs and I combining our HIsaber skills during our inaugural meeting/vape session! bOObs actually let me touch his HI.

Yes, I paid bOObs a visit, and he was kind to tolerate me. :)

Thanks, bOObs!

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I did feel something. It was thunder from a very rare storm rolling through. Not much rain though.
Very cool that Vapinghole and bOObs got together for a meeting/vape session. Two JedHI masters wielding HIsabers. Sounds like a fun time.

Have your HI's done Ed. Will try to get some photos tomorrow. They turned out quite well.

Very nice video OhTheAgony. The HI really makes some really dense clouds in your new glass. How about some light weight aluminum for a HI? You won't have to worry about dings that way. If it is light enough, it should dissipate the heat so the outside will not be too hot to hold. The light weight would be kind to glassware.

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Woot, a HI party, I wish I could've joined you guys :haw:

Thanks Alan, I still need a lot of practices but I think I'm starting to get the hang of these vape vids now.

The new piece takes a bit of getting used to though. I've been using a straight tube for so long that it almost makes me feel a little handicapped getting used to the ergonomics of this one. It also easier to eyeball the vapor with my old tube & I find it quite hard to get the same performance right now. In daylight it's ok, but it sort of feels I'm vaping blind after dusk. I was vaping in front of a webcam holding a flashlight last night just to see what I was doing, lmao.

Funny that you mention that storm btw. We had a raging thunder storm here last night but not a lot of rain too. Sometimes it is a small world I guess :)

To be honest I think I like wood a little to much to give it up, but I do like your idea of a virtually indestructible HI, a lot. I might get used to the idea if we're talking brushed aluminum.. :brow: Or perhaps you can even make some out of, ummm, yeah, how do you call that stuff in English....lemme say it with a picture, this sort of stuff:

traanplaat_3.jpg

76e87a31f4541c3538a61800cdf1bd89image001.jpg

It's usually made of stainless steel I believe, but it may also be available in Aluminum?

I can't wait to see those pieces you've turned for Ed man!

Top Bottom