The HI

Vapemania

Vitolo said:
I am loving reading about the HI.
I re did an old TT Video, and am leaving the link here... since that's where this all began! ;)
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=190668#p190668

Nice vid, dude.
Very well made.

If you get a HI, then hopefully you'll do a vid of that too!
There were nice clouds coming from that TT.
And I imagine there may be thicker ones from the HI.
So that's what those tiny yellow beads are! (Beeswax).

Was the pooch waiting patiently for his cue at the end?
In which case, that's a well-trained dog!

ilovebOObs said:
okcomputer is pretty much spot on! there are currently 2 versions of the Hi, the first version with no vv adapter for $140 and a taller version thats 3/8" taller with the vv adapter for $155. the package comes with aroma bowl, bag of wax pellets , some screens. no tubes are included.

Hey, thanks Boobs.

So there are two HIs?
I would be very tempted to get the larger unit given the small price difference.

But how do you decide between the two?
Why is one a little larger?

Vapemania,

tuscan tins

The tall HI is larger because its plug is in a slightly different orientation to accept the variable voltage power supply.

I recall TV saying it was only 3/5" taller than the short HI, I could be wrong, it's in the thread... somewhere :p

tuscan tins,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Vapemeister said:
So that's what those tiny yellow beads are! (Beeswax).

Was the pooch waiting patiently for his cue at the end?
In which case, that's a well-trained dog!
The beeswax beads are great!
Buster was not waiting for his cue.. but I knew I would call him at the end... he is well trained... and at the risk of a minor "detour" on the thread, I willgive you a peak at him.
(Hope this is OK, Alan!)
Touch to see "Buster The Helper"

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
^^^ everything he said. Alan told me 3/8" either way super smll difference. i highly recommend getting the tall one with the vv adapter. with the vv adapter nailed you won't have to worry about combusting and your abv always comes out perfect. with the standard adapter its all about technique.

ilovebOObs,

Vapemania

Vitolo said:
The beeswax beads are great!
Buster was not waiting for his cue.. but I knew I would call him at the end... he is well trained... and at the risk of a minor "detour" on the thread, I willgive you a peak at him.
(Hope this is OK, Alan!)
Touch to see "Buster The Helper"

Lol! Thanks dude.
He made me laugh.

ilovebOObs said:
^^^ everything he said. Alan told me 3/8" either way super smll difference. i highly recommend getting the tall one with the vv adapter. with the vv adapter nailed you won't have to worry about combusting and your abv always comes out perfect. with the standard adapter its all about technique.

Yes, that makes sense to me.
Worth it for less learning curve.

Vapemania,
ILB,

Care to share a picture of the setting you're using on your VV? I know you already posted one, but I believe that was before you said you had it dialed in perfectly. I know that my results may vary from yours because of material quality, grind size, etc.

Also, I imagine that slightly different temperature settings will be necessary depending on whether you're using an SS tip (toasty tube, herb IN the heatport) or all-glass (turbo tube, herb ABOVE the heatport). Is that correct, or are you able to leave the temp setting the same regardless of the type of tube you're using?

Along those lines, do you find that a different temp setting is required for direct draw vs. with your bubbler?

Finally, when you're using the HI direct draw, are you able to keep the unit upright, or do find that keeping it horizontal works best?

OKcomputer,

ilovebOObs

OKcomputer said:
ILB,

Care to share a picture of the setting you're using on your VV? I know you already posted one, but I believe that was before you said you had it dialed in perfectly. I know that my results may vary from yours because of material quality, grind size, etc.

Also, I imagine that slightly different temperature settings will be necessary depending on whether you're using an SS tip (toasty tube, herb IN the heatport) or all-glass (turbo tube, herb ABOVE the heatport). Is that correct, or are you able to leave the temp setting the same regardless of the type of tube you're using?

Along those lines, do you find that a different temp setting is required for direct draw vs. with your bubbler?

Finally, when you're using the HI direct draw, are you able to keep the unit upright, or do find that keeping it horizontal works best?

p2093104.jpg

actually that ended up being my super sweet spot. i get evenly browned abv every time now. all the abv on the right is at that setting. i use the same setting for direct hits too. i don't have a roasting tube atm to test. but i use the same techniques when using direct hit as i do with bong ripping. i only heat when hitting it, i don't leave the stem in all the time. i also don't shove the tube all the way in either, as soon as i get a seal with the silicon i start inhaling then adjust the hi closer or further away from the herb. i'm not even sure if i'm doing it right, hahaha being my first log vap and all, but i've been getting some really good results doing it this way. Horizontal seems to work best for direct hits but i think roasting tube can prolly be used upright, i shall find out in a few days.

i'm considering adding another screen to the hi so no herb can go into the core. Alan you think this is an ok idea?

ilovebOObs,
Great info ILB.

ilovebOObs said:
i'm considering adding another screen to the hi so no herb can go into the core. Alan you think this is an ok idea?

I was under the impression that the HI already had a screen protecting the heat port. Are you just talking about adding a second screen, or was I mistaken? I'm assuming any herb is easy to dislodge if it does fall in, right?

OKcomputer,

ilovebOObs

yea a second screen on the very top, or figure out away not to get herb stuck in there. it is very easy to dislodge the herb if its stuck with provide tools but i'm a lazy ass. :D

ilovebOObs,
Alan I think my my power supply has finally crapped out on me. What are my alternatives? I think I might just cough up the 70+ dollars for a good unit but its pretty cumbersome. You said I would have to solder the radio shack plug errr something :lol: Can you reiterate for those of us who have the non VV HI's (atleast certain early HI's) have to do to get it sit flat?

ilovebOObs said:
yea a second screen on the very top, or figure out away not to get herb stuck in there. it is very easy to dislodge the herb if its stuck with provide tools but i'm a lazy ass. :D

This is a good idea! I tried putting a glass screen in my TT and it cracked SO be weary. A screen with it's outter diameter folded in would fit in the island quite well, however Alan knows; our guess is it might influence/interfere with the convection heat delivery.

biojuggernaut,

ilovebOObs

bio you got any tips for usage? been only a few days for me, i'm using it like i do my lsv.

ilovebOObs,

Vapemania

ilovebOObs said:

Hey, how about fitting a piece of screen at the end of the stem?
Cut a circular piece of screen and turn up the sides.
Fill the stem with herb, and then push in the screen. Bingo.

After vaping, remove the screen to take out the ABV.
(Erm... without burning your fingers).

Vapemania,
ilovebOObs said:
bio you got any tips for usage? been only a few days for me, i'm using it like i do my lsv.

Since you have the VV you should be smooth once you get it chimed in. Mess around with different tiny tubes I guess. I just hover the the unit on the brim on the bowl; however non of my friends can do this.

Uh you got it. If you have a silver surfer head piece you can use it with your all glass turbo bowls. Vito can I use my SSV glass heady on my LSV at full blast like this? The Glass is smaller then the LSV heady and normally almost always touches the element somewhere :uhoh: I know that thing can get hot enough to melt glass am I inhaling shit or no. Cuz I guess we do use torches on this shit sometimes :o

biojuggernaut,

ilovebOObs

Vapemeister said:
ilovebOObs said:

Hey, how about fitting a piece of screen at the end of the stem?
Cut a circular piece of screen and turn up the sides.
Fill the stem with herb, and then push in the screen. Bingo.

After vaping, remove the screen to take out the ABV.
(Erm... without burning your fingers).

hey tried it and it works pretty good. but the only thing is i can't stir the bowl now.

ilovebOObs,
Hey everybody, this is my first post on the forum. I've been following this thread since it began, and I just wanted to say that I emailed Alan today about ordering the HI. I'm so excited to use this nifty looking vaporizer! I have a quick question for ilovebOObs and anyone else who has one already: how much material do you use in each stem pack? I am curious about how much I am going to save through increased efficiency.

mothercluck3r,

ilovebOObs

i don't have a scale so i can't gave you any numbers. but if you have a solo, 1 HI glass bowl is 1/2 a solo bowl. that prolly didn't help at all so let me see if i can borrow a scale.

ilovebOObs,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
OKcomputer - Thanks for the summary. You explained it very well. Saved me some time that was better spent in the shop.

Vapemeister - Glad you have found some useful information. It has been fun discovering and sharing new things. Spending too much time in the shop and not enough time on a website.

ilovebOObs - So you are capturing the herb between 2 screens? Sort of like with the cloud. I also like to stir occasionally for more even roasting. Reloads are very quick with just 1 screen.
Interesting that you are using it like the LSV. That is how I use it too. I would say you are doing it right if it works well for you. I just invented a lot of these tubes and there are probably many ways to use them. Discovering how to use them is part of the fun.
I love how you do roll the HI over your middle finger when you take a hit. That is exactly how I do it too.

biojuggernaut - Sorry to hear about your PS. I just received some extension cords that are 5' long and have a right angle plug on one end and a female socket on the other end. Will have to send you one to try out. If it will survive your operating conditions, it should work about anywhere.

Vitolo - Thanks so much for posting the TT video again. I'm very glad I breathed new life into the TT. Air flow was all it was missing. All the other aspects of the TT make it a very special vaporizer.

stickstones - I need to hurry up and get one to you so that you will know for sure. I'm curious how the taste compares to the cloud.

max - Thanks. I have tried to provide the cleanest path possible all the way through the tubes.

Alan,

treecityrnd

cluffy said:
Thanks for that post OKcomputer. I've been planning my HI purchase but didn't have all the pricing. My order will be the same as yours. Gotta wait for the right one, but come on Tax Refund!!! :p
Best stake your position in line now Cluffy. From his last email to me it sounds like a little wait as he has so much interest for such an innovative product. Understandable...so take your number behind me ;)

treecityrnd,

ilovebOObs

^^^ everything he said. :D

here is a pic to compare size. still can't believe how small it is.
p2103106.jpg

ilovebOObs,

ilovebOObs

i would say the HI has the most kick as you say :ko:
the solo is a very close second place
mflb honestly haven't used it in ages, but for some reason i can't see myself selling it. the one in the pic is actually brand new, a replacement for my old one that had a broken cover.

the hardest hitting vape in my collection is the LSV and is the tastiest too imho. i mainly use at night for the KO :ko: to go to bed :D .

the HI is my work vape :D it sits on my work desk 24/7 ready to go! i'm loving it! in the morning walking in from the cold i use it to warm up my hands. then after a long day of work i use it to massage my neck and shoulders.

i think the HI really rounds out my collection. nice thing about the HI is you can turn up the heat for more kick when you need it. :cool:

ilovebOObs,
Top Bottom