The HI

natural farmer

I love the WonGs and stems... Alan, is there any chance for a 12mmOD/9mmID WonG for my Pod??? :bowdown: Or for a Turbo/GonG glass stem maybe? :D

And a possibly silly question bugging my mind for some time now... Is it too hot if you accidentally touch the HI's SS heat port with your finger?

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
toros23 - Thanks. Once I get the lathe set up just right, it is easy repeat the perfect taper angle for each piece. I will be making more WonG's.

Thanks jambandphan. They are so fun to make.

Vapinghole - Your WonG is on the way. The wight way not the wong way. One thing I have found with the wooden roasting tubes is that the wood does not absorb as much heat as stainless steel, silicone, or glass so there is more heat available for roasting.

slowandsteady - Thanks. The cocobolo is just mesmerizing.

Thanks mom. It is amazing how many pieces of incredible wood are available in this small size. I only need a piece of 3/4" x 3/4" wood to make an 18mm WonG tube.

natural farmer - Thanks. A WonG tube with a 12mm OD and 9mm ID bowl should be no problem to make. It should also be possible to bore a 12mm hole in the top of the WonG for a short glass tube that would slide in and hold the screen at the bottom of the 12mm hole. Then you are still roasting in glass.
I have inserted a thermal probe down the center tube of a HI operating at around 12 volts and measured temperatures around 450F. It can leave you with a temporary reminder to be careful where you place your fingers when handling.

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Thanks, Alan!! Your service is unmatched. You are the Master JedHI.

A match made in heaven. Thanks, Alan! I christened my new Maple Burl WonG with some durban poison. Vicious but tasty strain, it is. Falling in love with my HI again...

Mod note: When possible, please avoid making back-to-back posts in a thread. Use the Edit feature located at the bottom of your posts. Posts merged.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I'd wonder why you stopped being in love in the first place... Was it the Cloud? Nahhhh!!! :goon:

Tech over nature.

The way of the JedHI, pushed to the side? Having to rediscover love?

I think a tribunal is in order.
hit_zps2e273f2c.gif

Vapinghole

I never stopped loving my HI--just a renewed affair because of my new WonG. So many ways to use the HI.

And sorry, mods, about the double post above. My previous post would not allow me to 'edit' since too much time had passed.

that herb guy

Just curious, you lining your WonG's with anything in the center? I read the post above said it is supposed to absorb less heat and I guess there's some kind of buffer (saw a metal tube I'm guessing is the 'bowl'?) but seems like if these started claiming up with nothing inside would be a right b*tch to get cleaned.

That said, beautiful wood:luv:.

that herb guy,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks so much Vapinghole. Glad your WonG arrived safely. Durban is my favorite. Just pure and simple.

BDV - Nature will always rule.

TheHerbalReview - Thanks. Glad you like them.

wonderfox - The HI-train is temporarily HI-jacked. The move is still holding me up.

that herb guy - Thanks. Lining the wood with something that can be easily cleaned is a great idea in theory. The problem is that the hole down the lining tube really restricts the air flow. I am able to have an 8mm hole down the center of my tubes. Some WonGs can have a 9mm hole (almost 3/8"). The more open screen area, the better. I have found that the roasting tube makes up half of the vaporizer system so its design is very important. Air flow is the key. The wood is a easier to clean than combustion in wooden pipes since no nasty resins are created. An alcohol soaked cotton swab works well for cleaning the tubes and the oil can be reclaimed by roasting the oily cotton. They will never be as clean as a glass tube but then they will never shatter if dropped on concrete. Every tube has some advantages and disadvantages. The 10mm bowl of the wooden roasting tubes will accept the glass nipples so that the roasting can be done in glass with the vapor path being wood. The glass nipples have an 8.5mm ID.

that herb guy

that herb guy - Thanks. Lining the wood with something that can be easily cleaned is a great idea in theory. The problem is that the hole down the lining tube really restricts the air flow. I am able to have an 8mm hole down the center of my tubes. Some WonGs can have a 9mm hole (almost 3/8"). The more open screen area, the better. I have found that the roasting tube makes up half of the vaporizer system so its design is very important. Air flow is the key. The wood is a easier to clean than combustion in wooden pipes since no nasty resins are created. An alcohol soaked cotton swab works well for cleaning the tubes and the oil can be reclaimed by roasting the oily cotton. They will never be as clean as a glass tube but then they will never shatter if dropped on concrete. Every tube has some advantages and disadvantages. The 10mm bowl of the wooden roasting tubes will accept the glass nipples so that the roasting can be done in glass with the vapor path being wood. The glass nipples have an 8.5mm ID.

That's interesting actually. I hadn't thought of some layers of that leftover resin/oil building up like in a wood tobacco pipe. That could have some (potentially) awesome flavor effects down the line of use.

No argument on the airflow. The more I play with this stuff the more importance I'm placing on it. Which is also weird because amount of airflow needed vs. product used varies so much.

Do you guys treat the wood as a normal vape - oil/wax finishes, etc? I understand the HI-train has stopped (which is unfortunate, I know there's a pre-order list but I assume that's miles long with a product like this, I'm waiting on it to seriously look at placing an order, no offense meant but I'm just unlucky and things like this catch me at the wrong times to actually have funds available lol) but are you guys cranking out the stems now? I've got a UD that I'd be interested in at least trying to mate with a wood stem for shits and giggles :).

that herb guy,
Reactions: OhTheAgony

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
LOL! You don't want to know how I treat mine. Kind of like my MFLB (I'm on my 3rd one) and some of my old glass (CRASH!).

Alan said, he wanted me to do a durability test on Sumac... that's what I'm doing. Still cranking out the vapor like she was BRAND NEW!

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: OhTheAgony

that herb guy

LOL! You don't want to know how I treat mine. Kind of like my MFLB (I'm on my 3rd one) and some of my old glass (CRASH!).

Alan said, he wanted me to do a durability test on Sumac... that's what I'm doing. Still cranking out the vapor like she was BRAND NEW!

LOL I meant like pre-shipping finish if any. Just while I was thinking about any taste buildup I was wondering if any of the wax/oil might impart some while it was heated? IDK, but since I didn't know figured I would ask the pros.

that herb guy,

Vapinghole

Had my HI since June with zero taste buildup. There is no pre-shipping finish, at least not with mine.

Cheers!!

Vapinghole,

that herb guy

Ah, I meant more the wood stems (roasting tubes?) themselves. When breaking in a tobacco pipe over time the resin builds up and changes the taste of the draw. Just wondering if something similar may happen with vapor through the stem, and if any finishes on the wood might mess with it. The more that I think about it probably not though, because the resin/oils would just collect over the finish placed on it and stop airflow anyway. I tend to think aloud sometimes. :)

That said, still curious about picking up one of these bad boys if possible.:brow:

that herb guy,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE CLASSIFIEDS!

I've seen 2 go on there, in the last month and a half. Maybe less?

One could show. up. any. day. ;)

(cold day in Hell before it will be mine! I'm just saying...)

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: Vapinghole

Vapinghole

Ah, I meant more the wood stems (roasting tubes?) themselves. When breaking in a tobacco pipe over time the resin builds up and changes the taste of the draw. Just wondering if something similar may happen with vapor through the stem, and if any finishes on the wood might mess with it. The more that I think about it probably not though, because the resin/oils would just collect over the finish placed on it and stop airflow anyway. I tend to think aloud sometimes. :)

That said, still curious about picking up one of these bad boys if possible.:brow:

Ah, got it. No - my WonG didn't have a finish. And yes, I bet the taste changes over time, but I'll let someone who has had a wood roasting tube for a while answer that. This is my first one. All my tubes up to now have been glass.

Get in line for a HI, my friend. Don't cost nothin' and if you don't have funds when your name is called, then no big deal, Alan will move to the next one.

Vapinghole,
Top Bottom