The HI

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Hey. Did someone call for Alan?

u bwade wunner - The DG is working well with the HI. Very open. There is hardly any drag with the HI anyhow. Have your friend send me an email and I will get him on the list. Very funny video.

BDV - I consider it just a rooster. It has no leg spurs like a fighting cock. I have a question about getting the load closer to the heating element. Since the HI center tube has no stops, it can push all the way down to the screen (actually a good way to install a screen) and make a very small chamber. Do you get more heat to the load with the screen pushed up because there is less silicone to remove heat from the center tube? I like the extra space in the bowl to stir the load which I usually do between hits. Very nice perc vids. Just give me a chance to be a glass man. I'm looking forward to making some more glass tubes.

vorrange - I agree than a variable voltage is a nice option to have. I equate them to an automatic transmission for a car. It is easy for most people to learn to drive a car with an automatic transmission. Not too many race cars are going to have one. I think it is important to have a repeatable / consistent voltage. A regulated power supply should always be used. 12 volts is nice because the other available voltages can be converted down to it, plus 12 volts can be provided from a car or with batteries.
I was thinking that there should be a word for the technique of moving the HI while roasting to control the temperature. It is sort of like singing or playing music when you hold a note with vibrato. Maybe holding the correct vaporizing temperature with that bouncing technique should be called " Vaprato".

Alan,

treecityrnd

Alan, no 110/120V (or whatever country people live in, 220V) in the future of log vapes or your vape future? You make some good points points...batteries? Are you working on a portable wooden revolution and not a "desktop/heavy hitter" 110V wooden game changer? I would like to put my name at the top of the list for a portable HI.

And I agree that "bouncing" (up & down movement, or distance from load) is important. Varying draw speed alone has usually gotten me the desired heat at the point of vaporization. Angle also plays a role in the Turbo Tubes, as when you angle the port it creates a better seal and thus more heat reaching the load. There are so many fun variables to play with...

Interesting analogy with the automatic car. I believe the ability to drive a manual car extremely important. My father forced me to learn on a manual so "when I went to Germany I could rent a car." That was the 80s.

CNN.com: "In the earliest days of the automobile industry, cars came with only one type of transmission: the manual.

After General Motors released the first automatic transmission -- the 1940 Oldsmobile Hydra-Matic -- automobile manufacturers swiftly moved away from manuals. By 1957, 82.7% of American-made cars were equipped with automatic transmissions, according to "Ward's 1958 Automotive Yearbook."

Though manuals have accounted for about 4% of American car sales in recent years, experts were surprised to see the percentage jump almost 3% in the first quarter of 2012, according to a report by Edmunds.com."

V - I own both. I've opened both up. I don't believe the vape you listed above comes close to the versatility (or load size) of the LSV. It just has a ceramic cartridge like the LSV. Maybe its larger counterpart, but that's not a discussion for this thread IMO. Respect the HI.

treecityrnd,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
BDV - I have a question about getting the load closer to the heating element. Since the HI center tube has no stops, it can push all the way down to the screen (actually a good way to install a screen) and make a very small chamber. Do you get more heat to the load with the screen pushed up because there is less silicone to remove heat from the center tube? I like the extra space in the bowl to stir the load which I usually do between hits. Very nice perc vids. Just give me a chance to be a glass man. I'm looking forward to making some more glass tubes.

Actually, I'm not moving the load any closer to the heating element, I'm just keeping it at the same distance...

Pardon the condition of the herb. It was the last 2 pulls off it. Though, still good milky hits.

So this is after I have pulled/cleared. Its packed about 1/4" from top of the silicone.
20130219_225514_zpsa6156565.jpg

I remove the TT, pull pack the tube a bit (giving it some distance/airflow underneath the screen), I place my index finger on top, roll/squeeze with my middle and ring fingers to loosen it up a bit... then blow in the other end to pack it up, against my index finger. Now give it some gentle rolling to fluff it up a bit... it comes out like this...

20130219_225559_zpsd0dd1abd.jpg

You can see its stirred up a bit, little bit more light and vapeable bud there. But, because of moisture, actives and the natural load packing... its got more space/volume between the element and the herb.

So I just push the silicone down/glass up (whichever) closing that space, back to about 1/8" from the top of the tube.

20130219_225658_zps9c325108.jpg

Should have done it with a fresh load. Leave it to the medicated guy to use a spent load.

20130219_225658_zps9c325108.jpg

u bwade wunner

Going 110V is not an improvement IMO.

I agree.There are few things in my life nowadays i dont need a service contract for.The Hi i can fix myself with a few easily available parts.

judging from the milk videos on here, i dont think we have too much too worry about, performance wise from our humble Hi either:cool:

Alans design is very effective.lately Ive been looking for full flavour in my meds starting at 10.8V moving to 11.2V and 12V on close.

vorrange

Vapor.wise
V - I own both. I've opened both up. I don't believe the vape you listed above comes close to the versatility (or load size) of the LSV. It just has a ceramic cartridge like the LSV. Maybe its larger counterpart, but that's not a discussion for this thread IMO. Respect the HI.

Yeah, you're right, i was thinking of the EV2, although that one has no temperature knob but you can still change temperatures.

I'm not disrespecting the HI, just voicing my opinion. I could argue that the one who is disrespecting is you, i like the HI as it is.

Ask Andy if he's thinking of an EV-2 with a temperature knob, it will be easier to achieve than a HI with 110V.

EDIT:
Alan, no 110/120V (or whatever country people live in, 220V) in the future of log vapes or your vape future?

Just something i missed about your post. I find this distasteful, and in fact a bit ignorant on your part.

Check this image (http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity.htm) to see "whatever country people live in, 220V", you will find out it is the vast majority.
The only ones who have 110V, 60Hz are all in America (North and South), which makes sense since the main industrial developments in the american continent started in the US and then expanded, and in a power network logic it is an advantage to have an unifom grid.

vorrange - I agree than a variable voltage is a nice option to have. I equate them to an automatic transmission for a car. It is easy for most people to learn to drive a car with an automatic transmission. Not too many race cars are going to have one. I think it is important to have a repeatable / consistent voltage. A regulated power supply should always be used. 12 volts is nice because the other available voltages can be converted down to it, plus 12 volts can be provided from a car or with batteries.
I was thinking that there should be a word for the technique of moving the HI while roasting to control the temperature. It is sort of like singing or playing music when you hold a note with vibrato. Maybe holding the correct vaporizing temperature with that bouncing technique should be called " Vaprato".
I like Vaprato. I'm going to practice my vaprato right now. :D

I agree.There are few things in my life nowadays i dont need a service contract for.The Hi i can fix myself with a few easily available parts.

judging from the milk videos on here, i dont think we have too much too worry about, performance wise from our humble Hi either:cool:

Alans design is very effective.lately Ive been looking for full flavour in my meds starting at 10.8V moving to 11.2V and 12V on close.
Not to mention that with 12V it is much more easy to feed, first because it's 12V and second because its DC.

vorrange,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
slowandsteady - I need to get busy taking some tube photos for my website. Will be much easier than trying to explain each one.

treecityrnd - I like to use analogies. Another one is that 12v vaporizers are like motorcycles and 110v vaporizers are like sports cars. They both can get you to where you want to go way faster than you need to go and are both a lot of fun, but one just has more power and weight. The outside coverings just make them look nicer but does not really improve performance. The selection is more of a user preference.
I haven't ruled out making a 110 / 220 unit, but lets see what the future brings. Hopefully battery technology will improve where a portable HI is a reality. There are so many other designs out there that use way less energy to operate than the HI. I do have another idea for a portable but haven't spent much time on it.
Have been trying a new roasting technique where no grinding or stirring is required. I place a small bouquet of flowers into the roasting tube and then lightly smash it down until it completely fills the inside area of the tube. Air cannot get around the bouquet so it must pass though it. Only the top of the bouquet is completely filling the tube which still allows air to move around it to a relatively open screen.
You don't get lung busting hits, but you also have almost no chance of combustion since the air flow never drops off (due to stirring). Interesting how many different ways there are to roast.

u bwade wunner - Having the ability to repair / maintain a HI yourself was factored into the design. The simpler the better. Just low drag hot air.

BDV - Thanks for posting the photos. That is some dark roast. Looking good.

nickb - Welcome to the list future JedHI.

treecityrnd

Hopefully battery technology will improve where a portable HI is a reality. There are so many other designs out there that use way less energy to operate than the HI. I do have another idea for a portable but haven't spent much time on it.
Where's the "Like Beyond Words" button?

jambandphan03

in flavor country
bonehead move of the day, there is a down side to having an inch of SS sticking up out of the wong... blindly grabbing at it to remove after use, and grabbing the hot ss instead of the wood... no good, I don't recommend doing it. :doh: OUCH! that was my clicking finger!! Hopefully won't do that again any time soon...:lol:

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Vapinghole

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Glad the SS tip WonG tube arrived safely Jam. Looks like you are putting it to good use. Thanks for posting the video. Sorry to hear about your clicking finger. I used to install a short sleeve of 5/16" silicone (standard whip tubing size) over the SS leaving just the roasting tip section exposed. It doesn't eliminate the possibility of accidental burns but it does reduce them. The SS tips will even fit into the end of a length of high temperature silicone tubing to turn the HI / TT into a mini hands free device. A short length of 10mm glass tubing makes a nice mouthpiece tube for the other end of the tubing.
My wood roasting tubes don't get as hot as the SS, glass, or silicone tubes. There is no risk of burns from the wood. Here are some of my latest wooden roasting tubes.

wongtubes.jpg

The one on the left is a Maple Burl 18mm female WonG tube. It is the new roaster for my DG mini. It works so well. The middle one is a shortened version of my 14mm WonG tube. 2.25" of Osage Orange.
The one on the right is a 18mm male Cocobolo WonG. My plan is to make all of these tube configurations available in glass as well.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I will try the high temp silicone idea, thanks! I have a bit of the 1/4" that works. It's the good stuff from http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/121/=gv71bs (Soft)

Those all wood wongs look great. I will be adding more to my collection at some point. I wouldn't mind a burl 18mm to compliment the HI. No rush though, been buying too much stuff again lately.

The good news is, I can still hold a guitar pick :D and cannabis oil extract does wonders for burns...btw that bit of silicone on the SS tube did the trick!

jambandphan03,

u bwade wunner

Alan they look great!

could the wongs be made a little longer too Alan for a finger pinch clear on the body of the wong.
pulling the wong out by the bowl might get a little hot!
what is the view from other wong users that are using them?

Thanks Jamb awesome Vid.Video angle and the view of vapor entering the can was clear and whoosh!
Enjoyed the CB working with the Hi too:tup:

atleast it wasn't my nose
or your e lips...twice now here:p

toros23

could the wongs be made a little longer too Alan for a finger pinch clear on the body of the wong.
pulling the wong out by the bowl might get a little hot!
what is the view from other wong users that are using them?

I have been playing with Alan's new tubes today (mine are cherry) and not having any issues with heat. Can definitely confirm what Alan said, the wood doesn't get as hot as glass, silicone or SS.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I am just loving the 18mm ssWong!! Adding the tubing around the base (put a piece folded over on itself so it's double thick) has given me just the right amount of buffer so I don't touch the hot SS when removing it. I have grazed it a few times prior to grabbing. That should keep things nice and safe.

The wood grain on this one is very nice, kind of has a tiger stripe effect.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: TV

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I like that bub, it's got the design of the stemless but with the action of a regular style perc, meaning it doesn't look like you have the same "gulp" of water to move before you get the vapor moving through the perc. (guessing anyway) nice piece, and very nice HI! I like the dark wood. :tup:

jambandphan03,

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
Jam, it's my Worm oilcan. I switch off sometimes between it and my Ion. With less diffusion, it gives me full flavor. It's also a breeze to clean. I find it interesting that the performance of a perk can change even after only a couple of vapes. I'm becoming accustomed to the slight variances that occur during a vape seeion.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
mvapes - You are getting closer, but you are not warm yet.

Thanks ubw. I can make them about any length you like. Some woods are more challenging than others. The wood really does stay fairly cool to the touch.

jam - Glad the silicone tubing worked for you. It is amazing stuff. So many uses. Your WonG is made from a wood called Ipe. It came from a burl the size of a VW bus. It is one of the hardest woods in the world. It has a class A fire rating which is the same rating they give steel. I spent about as much time sharpening my tools as I did turning.

toros23 - Glad the tubes arrived safely. Thanks for confirming about the wood temperature. I am really digging roasting in wood. Hope you had a chance to try all the tube combination/variations.

Jeppy - Nice glass can man. There are some wonderful glass artist out there.

Edward Hyde

alan i sent u an email about but u havent answered yet if possible get back on me...HI looks really nice might be my next choice...keep the good work up.

Edward Hyde,
Top Bottom