The Grasshopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Just a small amount of asbestos, nothing to worry about...

Good one. :cheers: The insulation sounds like it would be a big deal with the 45% number, but also seems like it would make the mouthpiece hotter and change how quickly the herb cooks. It sounds seems like a design change for something that is already in the can (or did it happen a while ago?)... which is fine but leaves me puzzled exactly WHERE in the production process things are...

Last edited:

Krazzykid

I'm still shooting for production is going full force, they have a bunch to ship out but are waiting for technical things to clear or w.e and gunna be able to ship everything out at once leaving minimal setback for peeps
I really hope that production is currently going full swing and they are going to ship thousands of units out at once.

Hopefully they ship soon too, or at least give us a very thorough explanation on why they still aren't shipping.

Last edited:

axel10

@Vape Dr. Thanks for the kind words, although I feel like I owe Grasshopper for giving me the opportunity to have and review one early :)
@BuzzDanklin Hey do you know if the grasshopper would work with old school hash? I can get it cheap here so I'm wondering if I could just get hash instead of flowers when the grasshopper, finally, arrives. Thanks!

axel10,

Just Justin

@Just Justin what is the new insulation made of? Is it in the vapor path?

I am not sure what the material is exactly but I think it's proprietary, Hopper Labs own formula and I thought I read somewhere it was a glass like material or contained glass. You can see where it is if you look at the end of the Grasshopper chamber....Its the stuff in between the inside heating chamber wall and the outside of the Grasshopper body. Its kind of tan-ish color. This material is not really part of the vapor path. The insulation will make the mouthpiece a lot cooler, I am assuming and is probably a reason why they increased the amount and I will check about the chamber and see if that means it may be a little narrower but I didn't get the feeling like it would be narrower, some how....See the photo below, I am going to re-do this shot so it doesn't look so compressed. The chamber is actually longer and narrower than it appears in the photo.
chamber.jpg

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
I am not sure what the material is exactly but I think it's proprietary, Hopper Labs own formula and I thought I read somewhere it was a glass like material or contained glass. You can see where it is if you look at the end of the Grasshopper chamber....Its the stuff in between the inside heating chamber wall and the outside of the Grasshopper body. Its kind of tan-ish color. This material is not really part of the vapor path. The insulation will make the mouthpiece a lot cooler, I am assuming and is probably a reason why they increased the amount and I will check about the chamber and see if that means it may be a little narrower but I didn't get the feeling like it would be narrower, some how....See the photo below, I am going to re-do this shot so it doesn't look so compressed. The chamber is actually longer and narrower than it appears in the photo.
chamber.jpg

Thanks, appreciated. It looks like there's a tube of SS or something sandwiched between the insulation and the vapor path? I still am unclear as to the purpose of the insulation. If it is to make the heater work less, then it would be absorbing and holding heat? But if it makes the mouthpiece cooler, wouldn't it be needing to dissipate heat instead of insulating? As you can see I'm no Bill Nye..:science:

syrupy,
Reactions: btka

Just Justin

The heating chamber is stainless steel. The insulation is sandwiched between the stainless steel tube of the chamber and the stainless or titanium "outside" tube that makes up the Grasshoppers body. There is only a small "ring" of insulation exposed at the very end of the chamber but it runs along the entire chamber.
The insulation at the very least, slows the transfer of heat from the hot air passing through the chamber to the outside of the Grasshopper body and eventually to the mouthpiece, keeping the mouthpiece and the Grasshopper body cooler for handling and inhaling. It may also help the heater work less and distribute the heat a little more so you material is heated evenly. I'm sorry if I am not explaining this well but I hope that makes sense.......

Tek

That's a great description of it, Justin. The insulation is repelling the heat instead of absorbing it.

Tek,
Reactions: OF

OF

That's a great description of it, Justin. The insulation is repelling the heat instead of absorbing it.

Not really. There's no such thing as "repelling the heat" in conduction. Insulation SLOWS the heat transfer, same as putting on a coat can't keep you from freezing to death in a snow emergency but can delay it. Heat will still stubbornly flow from hot to cold like Thermodynamics (First Law) requires. That's what conduction is all about, heat moving from hot to cold atom by atom.

Radiation, OTOH, does offer the chance of reflection (since it's basically light). When you look into a thermos bottle you see silver? That's a reflective layer of Aluminum. Even though radiation losses are small with the modest temperature of hot coffee, reflecting as many photons back as possible slows the cooling down.

In this case insulation is a two edged sword. It would slow the warming of the exterior (protecting your very own 'ruby reds' longer) but that also means cooling after the session will also be slower. Life is a compromise sometimes, you might have less hair to comb, but now also have more forehead to wash.

OF

delloy

No update as yet, which must mean they are frantically packing GH into boxes ready for shipping......yay!

Mmmmm....on the other hand maybe not :huh:

So looking forward to when that day does finally arrive.

delloy,

vapebuddy13

Your resident Super Hero
As Krazzy said, it will be today, just at the very end of the day their time, which I'll be long asleep by then #est

vapebuddy13,
Reactions: snamuh

hippogriff

Oh yeah, forgot about Monday - well, this gives them a whole business day to ship a batch before the update, yay!

Oh wait, weren't folks supposed to get emails prior to shipping? Please please please GH team, real details on why we're waiting (and it's resolution) this time!

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Not really. There's no such thing as "repelling the heat" in conduction. Insulation SLOWS the heat transfer, same as putting on a coat can't keep you from freezing to death in a snow emergency but can delay it. Heat will still stubbornly flow from hot to cold like Thermodynamics (First Law) requires. That's what conduction is all about, heat moving from hot to cold atom by atom.

Radiation, OTOH, does offer the chance of reflection (since it's basically light). When you look into a thermos bottle you see silver? That's a reflective layer of Aluminum. Even though radiation losses are small with the modest temperature of hot coffee, reflecting as many photons back as possible slows the cooling down.

In this case insulation is a two edged sword. It would slow the warming of the exterior (protecting your very own 'ruby reds' longer) but that also means cooling after the session will also be slower. Life is a compromise sometimes, you might have less hair to comb, but now also have more forehead to wash.

OF
This is a convection vape, and the experiment @BuzzDanklin demonstrated there is almost no conduction happening at all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GrassHopperVape/comments/37cs7j/grasshopper_convection_test/

Last edited:
slcbdco,
Reactions: OF
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom