The Grasshopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
It takes forever for a new type of battery to come out. Like others have said or got close to saying. If GH invented an amazing battery then why would they be selling a vaporizer? I think they removed the battery life info from their website now. I don't care if people are calling this normal advertising practices it's unethical and enraging.
Most vaporizer companies overstate what the battery can do that doesn't surprise me at all.

Every single portable that I've bought over the last 2 yrs the companies have told me way more usage than I could get on a single charge.

I probably would be more upset if I had shelled money out and felt it was under false pretenses. I just started watching this thread a few weeks ago. I'm just getting caught up to speed.

Last edited:

OF

They've done a pretty good overhaul on their website and now I can't find any previous information or blog posts anymore and their Twitter looks like they've deleted some posts.

Wasn't that Winston Smith's job in "1894"? Correcting the errors in history?

"He who controls the past, controls the future". Huxley seems to have called it clean. Scary.

Then again, from what I was reading, the Global Warming guys are busy at just that right now.......

I plan to take it for what comes out of the box. Or try to. After this much tweaking it could be useful even if in a narrow area? Even it it doesn't hit all the gates, it can still finish the race with a reasonable showing....maybe.

Every single portable that I've bought over the last 2 yrs the companies have told me way way usage than I could get on a single charge.

I probably would be more upset if I had shelled money out and felt it was under false pretenses. I just started watching this thread a few weeks ago. I'm just getting caught up to speed.

Agreed, many ride the line. The Suits insist, numbers sell. IIRC I got Nathan's Ascent to meet the time spec at a realistic level, but had to not hit it (straight standby). But none of them misses by a lot. Do you have any that fell short by over half (predicted two hours, delivered one)? This guy is over a dozen times that much off, potentially. Even discounting from four plus to 3. That's 180 minutes in a game we'll most likely fall short of 12. That's a mighty big windy?

This oversight, if that's what it is, should have been radially apparent the first time the prototype was tested, they surely knew there was a problem here before we started speculating????

OF

Chill Dude

t should therefore go (750/1200)10 minutes, or about 6 minutes 15 seconds? That assumes GH has about the same power efficiency, which I doubt given it's load is a less advantageous shape and size (more mass, and much deeper?). Based on that I'm estimating 4 to 10 minutes run time. More likely 4 than 10.

On a bet (or to prove a point) I suspect you might get 3 or 4 sessions of say two minutes each? Maybe. That cold be a dozen highly disciplined hits each. But, I believe, that sort of performance is nothing close to what folks were/are expecting? For most of us a session is something like 12 minutes on the Solo to cash a stem of similar volume (1.5cc or so). I expect to be useful for many at more modest levels, but it's not, I think, a viable session vape. And it's a poor choice for sharing, unless you have a pocket full of batteries.

Based on what's you've said, a reasonably conservative estimate would be around 6.5 minutes of actual run time per fully charged battery. That equates to about 4 sessions with each session providing 10 draws of 10 seconds each. Right? that said, even if each session has only a little over 1.5 minutes of actual run time; you can still have a 12 minute session like you do with the Solo. In other words, taking one hit every minute or so because it's obviously not running consistently throughout your session. Is that correct or am I missing something?

If the above is correct, then why wouldn't the Hopper be considered a decent session vape? I'd be extremely happy to get four sessions per charge from such a stealthy pen vape.

Last edited:

CarolKing

I'm not saying that they misinformed the folks investing in their product. But when they got the correct info they didn't let anyone know possibly?

It's a gamble when shelling out money for an unknown product. Things may turn out fine with this unit. We won't know until it comes out. It's too bad the company won't send out a few beta vaporizers.

EDIT
There will be extra batteries that you can buy so you can tailor this to your vaping needs.

Last edited:

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I'm not saying that they misinformed the folks investing in their product. But when they got the correct info they didn't let anyone know possibly?

It's a gamble when shelling out money for an unknown product. Things may turn out fine with this unit. We won't know until it comes out. It's too bad the company won't send out a few beta vapes
Sending out beta's are waste of time for this project, they didn't get all the actual parts until recently and even still have a few issues, the first trickle units will have to serve as the beta vapes; I'm happy I chose colored Ti models because it will probably take a while for them to actually start making those hopefully bugs are ironed and noted by then.

If they did send out a beta I'm guessing if this wasn't the expected performer they wouldn't have had a good chance to exploit and take all that delicious and unnecessary pre-order money.

blankexpression

This treads a little heavily on our 'Be Nice' rule.
Seriously, this is getting stupid now, youre all just pulling figures for battery performance out of your arse. Cant you lot sit on your hands or something :D

blankexpression,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
They made a lot of money on the preorders over $366,000.00 as of yesterday according to their website.

Those were backers/investors, the pre orders were later.

And I for one am glad I did, since I missed the initial campaign. Happy to save money and get one sooner, I dono about unnecessary or not, but I sure as hell appreciated it!

lwien

Seriously, this is getting stupid now, youre all just pulling figures out of your arse. Cant you lot sit on your hands or something :D

I think the GH team pulled more figures out of THEIR ass when they initially asked for funding for this vape than most of the figures being presented here in this thread.

Be that as it may, I don't think it's stupid at all to speculate and to question prior to release and then to question the hell out of it after it's release. It's kinda what FC is all about, eh?

OF

If the above is correct, then why wouldn't the Hopper be considered a decent session vape? I'd be extremely happy to get four sessions per charge from such a stealthy pen vape.

In a word, "experience". While modest performance might be fine with some in some/many cases, or collective experience with vapes used for sessions says this is not likely to meet others expectations. Notice the responses.

IMO it's unlikely to be very popular for loading up and enjoying with the game or passing around with the guys. It's more likely to be a very personal vape needing attenuation between hits. More like a MFLB than a Solo?

Seriously, this is getting stupid now, youre all just pulling figures out of your arse. Cant you lot sit on your hands or something :D

Actually my original estimates were based on a similar vape you'll notice? No relation to anything coming out that place I can assure you. And we seem to have prompted a purge of 'evidence' of earlier wild predictions/features.

I'm sure we'd rather be talking about actual experience with the unit.......I would at least.

OF

CarolKing

I think @OF has plenty of experience. I don't doubt his word. This is the job of FC members. What else can you do on a thread candidate post other than speculate if there aren't any beta units out? That's what these threads are for to speculate. That makes people want to buy the product.

@blankexpression This thread won't exist anymore once the product is out in the online stores.

OF

I think @OF has plenty of experience. I don't doubt his word. This is the job of FC members. What else can you do on a thread candidate post other than speculate if there aren't any beta units out.

Yer makin' me blush, Lady. Thanks for the kind words.

I agree, part of the job here is to question and discuss. Speculate if you will. Much better to be testing and analyzing but that's running a bit late right now......

With eyes and mind closed? Not for me. Feel free to yourself if you wish, but please don't expect me to follow blindly behind?

OF

zymos

Someday (hopefully soon) people are going to laugh at all the time they spent speculating. I too would rather talk about actualities than hypotheticals, but I guess people need something to do during the long wait...

zymos,
Reactions: Gregori

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Based on what's you've said, a reasonably conservative estimate would be around 6.5 minutes of actual run time per fully charged battery. That equates to about 4 sessions with each session providing 10 draws of 10 seconds each. Right? that said, even if each session has only a little over 1.5 minutes of actual run time; you can still have a 12 minute session like you do with the Solo. In other words, taking one hit every minute or so because it's obviously not running consistently throughout your session. Is that correct or am I missing something?

Agreed, it seems 4 sessions is the threshold assuming you have a decent load chamber. If the battery is a fast swap and you have another battery that will charge inside of the time the one in the unit decays wouldn't that make the battery life less of and issue? You can't have both battery life and small size in a power hog convection vaporizer even with Lithium batteries.

Last edited:

OF

re: charging the spare battery ... it would take a multi-amp charger, say 5A, to meet the recharge time requirement. that may be hard to do with an induction charger.

Yep. That too. Don't go rewriting the laws of physics right away, it seems like some of the claims were kind of optimistic?

Investor bait?

OF

OF,
Reactions: Spinuch

killick

But I like it!
I'm just gonna wait and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. 3 hour run time does sound a bit aggresive, but I'll be happy with less than that, cause it's not that difficult to find a charger these days. I just ordered a screaming hot battery pack that will charge an Ipad 13 times before running out of juice, and it can charge 2 devices at once, so that should give a lot of runtime. Now all the GH hasta do is be effective at delivery and we'll get along fine. The form factor is a huge plus. If I needed a hardcover book form factor with lots of hours of runtime I'd get a Crafty. I'm more into the stealth angle...

Edit - I fibbed - 2 devices at once - sorry! It's a Juiced 24k External Battery Charger. It's on Massdrop right now for around $50, but is limited to a max buy of 80 units, and not many left. It might be cheaper elsewhere...

Or this one for cheaper

Last edited:

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
I have to jump in to correct some things.

First of all 30 watt heater doesn't exactly mean your going to be constantly pulling 30 watts from the battery. It's been proven that you can Vape about 1.2 grams of herbs using 750 mah batteries.

Some heaters work differently. Comparing this to the FF and the Elevape ( with both having wire heaters ) is like comparing a F16 to a 737. They are made for two different goals. Remember guys GH heater isn't made from a thin wire that ecigs use or even any wire like the Elevape and FF as far as we know. If I'm not mistaken it is brass. What this means is you might be actually pulling 15 amps when full power is reached. If this is true then pulling 30 watts to heat up and only using 15 watts to maintain the desired temperature you could in theory look at 10-12 min of use time.

Now moving on. To measure how fast it heats up you have to take into consideration on how fast the heater is up to operating temp plus how soon you get vapor. This is the true measurement we think people should look for.

just my .02 cents from experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom