Discontinued The Grasshopper

YaFreekin Right

have you used it, does it work well with the hopper?

I've used it just not with the GH. There is a picture somewhere in this thread(I believe) where someone hooked up the same bubbler to their GH.

this is really the only bubbler in my budget right now, is this spill proof.

im looking for cheap bubblers like this, perferably spill proof so i can take on the go.

but one that will work with the GH is fine with me. as long as its cheap lol.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/2806300

i dont understand though this doesnt really say anything about it being a bubbler

It will be by far the cheapest option, many places resell the same product for much more money. The only issue with it is it's sensitive to water levels & has moderate draw restriction.

YaFreekin Right,
Reactions: freebigga

freebigga

I've used it just not with the GH. There is a picture somewhere in this thread(I believe) where someone hooked up the same bubbler to their GH.

It will be by far the cheapest option, many places resell the same product for much more money. The only issue with it is it's sensitive to water levels & has moderate draw restriction.

thanks for your response. i am seeing that this is the cheapest option. because i do not find anything cheaper lol.

do you know if this unit is spill proof and good for on the go?

freebigga,

Vapor Loop

thanks for your response. i am seeing that this is the cheapest option. because i do not find anything cheaper lol.

do you know if this unit is spill proof and good for on the go?

Yes those are spill proof and are pretty much as good as your gonna get in portability. I got a couple with the intention to use with my Hopper, But found they work great on my Air as well with a little silicone adapter. I will most certainly be adding to the 510 bubbler collection for my Hopper and Air.

jabba

I use regular cotton balls though I'm sure organic is better. You make a small dab and wrap it in a small piece of cotton, put together it should be small and fill less than half the chamber. Don't push it down let it rest on top and you can even have a little cotton poking out of the top to use as a handle to take it out when you're done. While I prefer flower in either the GH or FF2, I do like concentrate in both and even though the GH isn't designed to be used this way it's still less of a hassle than concentrate pads and melting it correctly first etc. With the cotton method in the GH just wrap it, drop it in and vape, barely more effort than flower.

What temp (on GH) is required to vaporize concentrates? Would it work on setting 1, 2, 3, 4, 5? Thx

jabba,

Baron23

are there any issues with using the gh charger? i do not have another charging unit, unless i can use the mflb battery chargers.
Yes, I just recently used the on-board charging system and magnetic charging cable. No problem, worked as advertised, lights appeared as per manual.

I still, however, question the wisdom of adding this feature in a very small mechanical form factor that already has a space to put things challenge coupled with a lot of heat. This is a owner replaceable battery vape, I just think they would have been better served by not including on-board charging with its attendant added complexity and failure rate. Just get extra batteries and a good, off-board, charging system.

What temp (on GH) is required to vaporize concentrates? Would it work on setting 1, 2, 3, 4, 5? Thx

Personally, I would go with 5. Temp setting 4 is 373 F (supposedly) and is about minimum for concentrates, IMO. Others may disagree.

YaFreekin Right

Yes, I just recently used the on-board charging system and magnetic charging cable. No problem, worked as advertised, lights appeared as per manual.

I still, however, question the wisdom of adding this feature in a very small mechanical form factor that already has a space to put things challenge coupled with a lot of heat. This is a owner replaceable battery vape, I just think they would have been better served by not including on-board charging with its attendant added complexity and failure rate. Just get extra batteries and a good, off-board, charging system.

I don't think the included charger is that big a deal, the GH doesn't have on board charging. The charging circuitry is in that small black plastic enclosure on the charging cord. The GH itself only needs to make a physical connection with the magnetic charger rings.

Last edited:

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Has anyone used the charger without incident??

I use my charger all the time to charge it and I use the device on the charger in the car all the time. The connection is sometime wonky but it works fine.

I use temp 5, I'm sure you can use slightly lower temps but I get straight to 5

Churrucaman

My new shiny Ti grasshopper just arrived today. This thing sure hits hard but not sure if the temperature dial is working right.

Doesn't seem to combust but I'm getting big clouds and very toasty flavor after a few hits even at level 1. Read most of the post but don't recall anyone mentioning a similar behavior...

I don't think I should be getting any visible vapor at level 1 (is it 130ºC?) and the load should last far longer at low levels am I right?.

I've tried a few loads and after 3 medium hits it doesn't seem to be much difference between the low and max setting looking at the ABV, looks almost the same color. I'm giving it some time before doing anything about it but looks like the temp is going for the max no matter where I set the dial, is anyone else having the same problem?

BTW, this testing was mostly done with a water pipe

Churrucaman,
Reactions: catbird

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
My new shiny Ti grasshopper just arrived today. This thing sure hits hard but not sure if the temperature dial is working right.

Doesn't seem to combust but I'm getting big clouds and very toasty flavor after a few hits even at level 1. Read most of the post but don't recall anyone mentioning a similar behavior...

I don't think I should be getting any visible vapor at level 1 (is it 130ºC?) and the load should last far longer at low levels am I right?.

I've tried a few loads and after 3 medium hits it doesn't seem to be much difference between the low and max setting looking at the ABV, looks almost the same color. I'm giving it some time before doing anything about it but looks like the temp is going for the max no matter where I set the dial, is anyone else having the same problem?

I seem to recall someone else having this problem a while back.

moondog,

midgetsanchez

Hello all! Had to get my heater/body on my SS hopper replaced since it had suddenly stopped working (lights would flash red and then off with no heat). They were very quick to respond to my warranty request and send me a replacement. I noticed that the finish has changed slightly! The best way I would describe it is that it has more of a matte texture to it - it definitely feels different to the touch in a good way. When I first got it I actually weighed it to make sure they didn't send me a titanium body by mistake :lol:

Only thing is the new body doesn't perfectly match the old mouthpiece anymore - again, just a minor cosmetic inconvenience. Perhaps I'll reach out to them to see if I can buy a new mouthpiece since mine got a bit scuffed from using on glass (without the silicone).

I must mention the new finish seems like it may be more scratch-resistant too. It's apparent that the manufacturing quality on the grasshopper has definitely been improving over time (between this and the seamless backend collar etc.)

q0ET3x3.jpg

Side note, if the Ti mouthpiece offers better thermal properties I wonder if it's possible to use my SS with a Ti tip, or if the incongruence would be annoying...

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
Hello all! Had to get my heater/body on my SS hopper replaced since it had suddenly stopped working (lights would flash red and then off with no heat). They were very quick to respond to my warranty request and send me a replacement. I noticed that the finish has changed slightly! The best way I would describe it is that it has more of a matte texture to it - it definitely feels different to the touch in a good way. When I first got it I actually weighed it to make sure they didn't send me a titanium body by mistake :lol:

Only thing is the new body doesn't perfectly match the old mouthpiece anymore - again, just a minor cosmetic inconvenience. Perhaps I'll reach out to them to see if I can buy a new mouthpiece since mine got a bit scuffed from using on glass (without the silicone).

I must mention the new finish seems like it may be more scratch-resistant too. It's apparent that the manufacturing quality on the grasshopper has definitely been improving over time (between this and the seamless backend collar etc.)

q0ET3x3.jpg

Side note, if the Ti mouthpiece offers better thermal properties I wonder if it's possible to use my SS with a Ti tip, or if the incongruence would be annoying...
He lives! Alot of us have wondered where the heck you've been!?

Mr Mellish

q0ET3x3.jpg

Holy crap! The return of Lazarus err, @midgetsanchez ! Welcome back, beloved instigator.

jabba

I don't doubt that you may have a problem with your GH....but my instinct is to experiment with your GH a bit longer before you jump to any conclusions. Regardless of the reported temperature increment per click and our preconceived interpretation of what that temp setting feels likewhen using a different device.....THIS device imo is a bit different. The lowest temp setting (1) on the GH is not a useless setting and is quite capable of vaporization....and provides great (relatively) cooler hits but without much cloud...particularly on a fresh load. Setting 1 may not work as well after a few draws and you can step up the temp setting accordingly. Have no doubt though...temp setting one if drawn for a few puffs gets HOT too! Stepping up to temp 5 for the same amount of puffs gets REALLY HOT and FASTER for sure....assuming that you don't have a repair issue.

All I'm saying is....the heater is very very close to your mouth....and this short vape is made of near solid metal. Even low temp draws are pronouncedly hot compared to some cooler (and less portable) vape styles. I don't think that you can accurately gauge whether the GH temp setting is behaving correctly using a bubbler. Go native and use the device as intended...lips on the end with silicon tip or without....and dabble with the temp settings.....you should be able to notice a difference.

My GH is most def precise in its temp adjustment methinks...even a 1/2 click seems to make some difference.

Yes...I know that the GH doesn't really "click" into its 5 heat settings...but wouldn't that have been nice!

Last edited:

freebigga

saw your post about the dial. check this video out man.

freebigga,
Reactions: moondog

virtualpurple

My ti grasshopper arrived but doesn't appear to be functioning as intended (i.e. Won't heat up)

Honestly I have a hard time getting it to power in at all. Fully threaded the hopper doesn't always respond when clicked.

When it does turn on it usually changes from red to blue instantly, and shuts itself off after around 15 seconds.

Not even a wisp of vapor regardless of where the heat is set.

I'm going to start reading backwards again through the thread, but if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears!

virtualpurple,

Churrucaman

I don't doubt that you may have a problem with your GH....but my instinct is to experiment with your GH a bit longer before you jump to any conclusions. Regardless of the reported temperature increment per click and our preconceived interpretation of what that temp setting feels likewhen using a different device.....THIS device imo is a bit different. The lowest temp setting (1) on the GH is not a useless setting and is quite capable of vaporization....and provides great (relatively) cooler hits but without much cloud...particularly on a fresh load. Setting 1 may not work as well after a few draws and you can step up the temp setting accordingly. Have no doubt though...temp setting one if drawn for a few puffs gets HOT too! Stepping up to temp 5 for the same amount of puffs gets REALLY HOT and FASTER for sure....assuming that you don't have a repair issue.

All I'm saying is....the heater is very very close to your mouth....and this short vape is made of near solid metal. Even low temp draws are pronouncedly hot compared to some cooler (and less portable) vape styles. I don't think that you can accurately gauge whether the GH temp setting is behaving correctly using a bubbler. Go native and use the device as intended...lips on the end with silicon tip or without....and dabble with the temp settings.....you should be able to notice a difference.

My GH is most def precise in its temp adjustment methinks...even a 1/2 click seems to make some difference.

Yes...I know that the GH doesn't really "click" into its 5 heat settings...but wouldn't that have been nice!

Been using the Mighty and Volcano for too long, guess it'll take some time getting used to.

Seen some commenting the Ti version may be hotter than the SS and that level 3 for SS is like 1 for TI. I get visible clouds no matter what temp I set the device and don't think should be that way at least at 130ºC. Don't take me wrong I love the extraction power this thingy has but seen others praise the temperature control of this device I was hoping for more.

Tried both native and using water, with coarse and fine grind, will keep tinkering since this thing is awesome anyway.

saw your post about the dial. check this video out man.

Seems pressing the cap just eases a spring so twist motion is softer but doesn't make a difference on operation or so I recall reading when saw the vid, good to know about the feature anyways :)

Churrucaman,

Rush520

My ti grasshopper arrived but doesn't appear to be functioning as intended (i.e. Won't heat up)

Honestly I have a hard time getting it to power in at all. Fully threaded the hopper doesn't always respond when clicked.

May I ask when you placed your order? So others can gauge their shipment?

Rush520,
Reactions: Thcgos

midgetsanchez

@midgetsanchez Is that your 1st warranty repair? Care to give an update on how much usage your GH has gotten?

Apologies - I don't post here often but my GH has been getting plenty of use - it is my daily driver and I will say it is my favorite vape to date after having it for more than a year now.

I have gone through a handful of repairs since getting my unit - however the majority of those were last year. I had two backends fall apart, but this seemed to be fixed once they introduced the newer back ends (where the collar/clip that holds the backend together appears seamless). My previous unit lasted about 6 months before the heater stopped working and the body had to be replaced. With each iteration it seems as though the quality and reliability have improved noticeably.

Purely speculating here, but my suspicion is that the first wave of hoppers had high failure rates - in which case I'm glad they were able to trickle out units into the "wild" while they ironed those issues out and made design improvements before mass production.

With any other product I would be very frustrated with the repairs, however it is a small price to pay for such an amazing device. The warranty team has always been very responsive and communicative from my experience. I'm confident the failure rate has dropped since last year and the incremental improvements are a clear indicator that they are headed in the right direction as a company. I just hope that they can continue to scale up production and catch up to preorders, and perhaps provide more detailed numbers as they do so rather than vague updates.

I noticed currently on the website it says to expect shipping in August 2016 if one were to order a unit today (June 14th, 2016). I'm skeptical that an order placed now will be on track for August, unless GH Labs is pulling some next-shit scaling up - investments in as much automation of the assembly line as possible and whatnot. While it is possible, but I would be *very* impressed if they manage to pull that off.

All in all, given the size of the company and most importantly the quality and performance of the product, I'm willing to forgive their shortcomings. For the past year my Grasshopper has been used extensively as a daily driver and I still love the damn thing.

MoltenTiger

I guess I should qualify my question:

Based on what I have read I am nervous to use the charger...has anyone used the charger without incident?:)

Currently only using nitecore external..

The charger is fine to use, but less convenient than external charging IMO.
If you have had a GH charger since mid May, it has an older inferior board in it, which may stop working at some point. The new one has a more powerful micro-controller and a simpler overall design which should improve reliability.
I killed my older style by plugging it into what must have been a non-UL listed USB adapter (a car adapter I found without packaging, so quite likely). It made some crazy techno noises and then it stopped working, but after some time it worked sporadically. When it worked, it was fine.
The one HL replaced it with (same older board design I think) didn't work at all, and would cause solid red LEDs when twisted to a certain position.
HL were confused by this, and incidentally (heat sensor issues) have my hopper and charger now, so hopefully they can learn about this other problem.

I just received a message back regarding priority postage, but my hopper has been with their warranty department for nearly a week now (longer than others with just a sensor issue) - so hopefully they can send it back soon :)

@Churrucaman if the hopper is working properly, it should be giving different ABV results per temp level, as per their official ABV video.
When mine had a broken heat sensor, it was giving fluctuating performance.
If the performance is consistent, it could be material or the environment, or a calibration issue.
Keep using it for a while, test with different types of bud and if it continues to perform as is or inconsistently, write HL.

FWIW I had more luck getting darker ABV with direct draw over water pipe usage, so maybe test that out too. (waterpipes cause more airflow, which is fine for convection heating but no good for internal conduction of material as it doesn't get time to heat soak. Something along those lines is my guess anyway. Either way, after you've had a couple of hits at 5 through a bong, hit it again direct and observe the difference vs the third hit through a bong)

Churrucaman

@Churrucaman if the hopper is working properly, it should be giving different ABV results per temp level, as per their official ABV video.
If the performance is consistent, it could be material or the environment, or a calibration issue.
Keep using it for a while, test with different types of bud and if it continues to perform as is or inconsistently, write HL.

Already written to both my retailer and HL, haven't received reply yet. I can consistently get the load almost black at level 1 and I'm getting a smokey taste even at this temp. Would say there's a minor difference between the levels but it's far from starting at 130ºC that's for sure (like 60º off at least)... at this point I'd say is working more in the 195-220º range rather than the advertised 130-210º and is far from the 180-190 experience I'm used to but this is being said without any reliable measuring tools at hand.

In case I may be using it improperly and as an easy reference I've never got the ABV as black in the Mighty at 210º as I got this at level 1, tried various grinds and fillings (may post a pic or two when I get home). :\

Guess many others are in my same situation but very frustrated thinking about a return less than 24h after unboxing the "expensive" model and while still awaiting a replacement batteries order... At least my Crafty worked for a few months before requiring service. :rant:

The device looks promising and very willing to change my opinion but so far can't say it's been a good start.

Been sweeping the topic and I'm almost sure I'm not the only one with this issue and that many others are confusing the excessive heat with efficient extraction and joint like hit but they don't have many other vapes to compare it to. Unless I didn't learn shit in the years I've been vaporizing I'm sure no visible vapor should be seen under 160ºC in normal circumstances so if your device is pulling out vapor under lvl 2.5 you should start thinking about a possibly faulty or at least imprecise device.

Hope not many others may find the same problem but for those thinking in getting a Ti version for increased reliability, think again.:2c:

P.D. Will keep investigating and eat my words in case I find out I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Already written to both my retailer and HL, haven't received reply yet. I can consistently get the load almost black at level 1 and I'm getting a smokey taste even at this temp. Would say there's a minor difference between the levels but it's far from starting at 130ºC that's for sure (like 60º off at least)... at this point I'd say is working more in the 195-220º range rather than the advertised 130-210º and is far from the 180-190 experience I'm used to but this is being said without any reliable measuring tools at hand.

In case I may be using it improperly and as an easy reference I've never got the ABV as black in the Mighty at 210º as I got this at level 1, tried various grinds and fillings (may post a pic or two when I get home). :\

Guess many others are in my same situation but very frustrated thinking about a return less than 24h after unboxing the "expensive" model and while still awaiting a replacement batteries order... At least my Crafty worked for a few months before requiring service. :rant:

The device looks promising and very willing to change my opinion but so far can't say it's been a good start.

Been sweeping the topic and I'm almost sure I'm not the only one with this issue and that many others are confusing the excessive heat with efficient extraction and joint like hit but they don't have many other vapes to compare it to. Unless I didn't learn shit in the years I've been vaporizing I'm sure no visible vapor should be seen under 160ºC in normal circumstances so if your device is pulling out vapor under lvl 2.5 you should start thinking about a possibly faulty or at least imprecise device.

Hope not many others may find the same problem but for those thinking in getting a Ti version for increased reliability, think again.:2c:

I know someone else experienced this exact same problem. I've been searching this thread for the posts but can't find them for the life of me. Their Grasshopper was definitely broken and I'm pretty sure yours is too. If I recall they said temp 5 actually seemed lower than temp 1 so it might be worth switching to that in the meantime until you get a reply.

Baron23

The charger is fine to use, but less convenient than external charging IMO.
If you have had a GH charger since mid May, it has an older inferior board in it, which may stop working at some point. The new one has a more powerful micro-controller and a simpler overall design which should improve reliability.
I killed my older style by plugging it into what must have been a non-UL listed USB adapter (a car adapter I found without packaging, so quite likely). It made some crazy techno noises and then it stopped working, but after some time it worked sporadically. When it worked, it was fine.
The one HL replaced it with (same older board design I think) didn't work at all, and would cause solid red LEDs when twisted to a certain position.
HL were confused by this, and incidentally (heat sensor issues) have my hopper and charger now, so hopefully they can learn about this other problem.

I just received a message back regarding priority postage, but my hopper has been with their warranty department for nearly a week now (longer than others with just a sensor issue) - so hopefully they can send it back soon :)

FWIW I had more luck getting darker ABV with direct draw over water pipe usage, so maybe test that out too. (waterpipes cause more airflow, which is fine for convection heating but no good for internal conduction of material as it doesn't get time to heat soak. Something along those lines is my guess anyway. Either way, after you've had a couple of hits at 5 through a bong, hit it again direct and observe the difference vs the third hit through a bong)
Hi Molten - wow, I may have been completely wrong about something I have been complaining about. If I understand you and another poster who commented on my misapprehension, do I understand correctly that the "charger board" is actually in the charger connector itself and not the vape? I would have thought that charge control and protection circuitry would have to be built into the vape, but it seems I may be well wrong.

Any comments or ideas on this?

I have only had mine for a short period of time but I have found clear and unambiguously detectable differences across the temp spectrum. With mine, L1 ain't it and about 3.5 is where I like to start. Much over 4 - 4.3 and I start getting a bit of popcorn taste.

Since you are an experienced vaper, I think you are completely right...if it seems broke to you, it most likely is indeed malfunctioning.

Cheers

Last edited:
Baron23,
Reactions: Thcgos
Top Bottom