Discontinued The Grasshopper

jabba

Got my new backend dial a few days ago - it seems a lot more solid than the original and turns much more smoothly.

Still loving my SS GH...just awesome. My back end + and - and temp markers are not black but rather unfilled SS which makes them VERY VERY hard for my old eyes to see them. My eyes aren't that bad...but I do need my readers to change the temperature setting. I notice most GH's that I see appear to have blackened material filled within the +/- and 5 temp markers on the back end. Mine are not filled with this blackened material which would make it MUCH easier for me to read.

I know many use bubblers and all that jazz...I do not. Used natively...It is unbelievable how economical this device can be....a little goes a long long way.

TheWhisper

Still loving my SS GH...just awesome. My back end + and - and temp markers are not black but rather unfilled SS which makes them VERY VERY hard for my old eyes to see them. My eyes aren't that bad...but I do need my readers to change the temperature setting. I notice most GH's that I see appear to have blackened material filled within the +/- and 5 temp markers on the back end. Mine are not filled with this blackened material which would make it MUCH easier for me to read.

I know many use bubblers and all that jazz...I do not. Used natively...It is unbelievable how economical this device can be....a little goes a long long way.

My new backend only has the engraving partially filled. I'm tempted to take the finest point sharpie to color it in.

Here's a comparison shot of the oldstyle backend (left) and the new one (right):
d50cQx2.jpg

The threading seems different between the two. It doesn't seem to extend as far up on the oldstyle.

Baron23

My new backend only has the engraving partially filled. I'm tempted to take the finest point sharpie to color it in.

Here's a comparison shot of the oldstyle backend (left) and the new one (right):
d50cQx2.jpg

The threading seems different between the two. It doesn't seem to extend as far up on the oldstyle.

Thanks for those pics...I was wondering about my back end and yes, its the new style. Cheers

YaFreekin Right

Hi Molten - wow, I may have been completely wrong about something I have been complaining about. If I understand you and another poster who commented on my misapprehension, do I understand correctly that the "charger board" is actually in the charger connector itself and not the vape? I would have thought that charge control and protection circuitry would have to be built into the vape, but it seems I may be well wrong.

Any comments or ideas on this?

Already answered this for you here.

edit: Sorry didn't see you sort of mentioned me. But yes, all charging circuitry is external to the device. The magnetic part is just for a physical connection to the device.

Last edited:

Churrucaman

I know someone else experienced this exact same problem. I've been searching this thread for the posts but can't find them for the life of me. Their Grasshopper was definitely broken and I'm pretty sure yours is too. If I recall they said temp 5 actually seemed lower than temp 1 so it might be worth switching to that in the meantime until you get a reply.

Found this, looks like I'm not the first:

Obviously the battery charger - or what ever it might be - doesn't help the QC... Heard from a fellow member who just got his unit along with 3 extra batteries. 2 of em are not working properly... :uhoh:
Unit itself has a backend issue also - the heat dial or connection to the heater are not ok or not having been adjusted. Level 1 heats up really high, even higher than level 5. Can't say more, but I'm sure he will report here when he's got time.

Seems it may be the same issue (mine also seems to be a bit cooler on temp 5), will keep my fingers crossed for a swift warranty procedure.

Thanks for the help folks

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Anyone having temp selection issues? Since getting a new back end I'm having trouble temp stepping, 1 seems to hit as hard as 5. Doing barely-scientific ABV tests I can cache bowls the same on 1 or 5, a little darker on 3. Have a warranty request in - happily using hopper as is, just feels like I have a non-working or mis-aligned temp dial.

this sounds like the first hopper body and backend i got, i don't know what was the problem because also the backend fell apart, but when it worked (for two days), after 8-10 uses, it got as hot on step one as on step five, even hotter, it started to burn the herb, when i recieved the new backend, it continued to burn the herb, so they sent me a replacement body and now it works, temperaturewise, as it should,,,,,i guess it is an issue with the hopper body.

@Churrucaman

I found these two, I'm pretty sure @artist was the one I was thinking of.

MoltenTiger

@Churrucaman it does sound like you have a warranty case unfortunately. It took them a few days to respond to mine, so I would expect similar service.
It sounds like your heat sensor is faulty, which seems to be the more popular fault atm. You can continue to use it, but it won't be as good a vaping experience. Hopefully they just send you a replacement body.

@Baron23 There is indeed processing done in the charger, but there is some circuitry in the hopper too, as bridging the charging connection on the GH or using a faulty charger has differing effects on the LED, plus the power being sent to the battery. So I agree, they should have just gone with external charging with a plug-in USB cradle. That's what I use, and with a USB powerbank it becomes a space-negligible add-on for portable use with the hopper, and as it does require frequent charging that's just part of the kit IMO.
It is nice having on-board charging for between hits, or in car use though.
If they can sort it out (which should be possible in the short-term) it is a feature worth keeping.

@TheWhisper I think the threading is the same, but on the busted end, the metal under the redesigned ring has expanded down.

jabba

Already written to both my retailer and HL, haven't received reply yet. I can consistently get the load almost black at level 1 and I'm getting a smokey taste even at this temp. Would say there's a minor difference between the levels but it's far from starting at 130ºC that's for sure (like 60º off at least)... at this point I'd say is working more in the 195-220º range rather than the advertised 130-210º and is far from the 180-190 experience I'm used to but this is being said without any reliable measuring tools at hand.

In case I may be using it improperly and as an easy reference I've never got the ABV as black in the Mighty at 210º as I got this at level 1, tried various grinds and fillings (may post a pic or two when I get home). :\

Guess many others are in my same situation but very frustrated thinking about a return less than 24h after unboxing the "expensive" model and while still awaiting a replacement batteries order... At least my Crafty worked for a few months before requiring service. :rant:

The device looks promising and very willing to change my opinion but so far can't say it's been a good start.

Been sweeping the topic and I'm almost sure I'm not the only one with this issue and that many others are confusing the excessive heat with efficient extraction and joint like hit but they don't have many other vapes to compare it to. Unless I didn't learn shit in the years I've been vaporizing I'm sure no visible vapor should be seen under 160ºC in normal circumstances so if your device is pulling out vapor under lvl 2.5 you should start thinking about a possibly faulty or at least imprecise device.

Hope not many others may find the same problem but for those thinking in getting a Ti version for increased reliability, think again.:2c:

P.D. Will keep investigating and eat my words in case I find out I'm wrong.

So do you have the newer back end without the two seams in the center...or the new seamless back end?

jabba,

Churrucaman

@MoltenTiger, @Vapor_Eyes, @Baron23, @jabba and @freebigga thank you very much for the help.

Tried to register my hopper at GH.com but they ask for an "ID code". Since I got my device from VapoShop I never got this... Does anybody know how should I fill this field? Anyways I've already sent a message to GH support so guess I'll have an answer soon.

Now time to cope with the frustration
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Churrucaman,

Bdubbdiblets

@MoltenTiger, @Vapor_Eyes, @Baron23, @jabba and @freebigga thank you very much for the help.

Tried to register my hopper at GH.com but they ask for an "ID code". Since I got my device from VapoShop I never got this... Does anybody know how should I fill this field? Anyways I've already sent a message to GH support so guess I'll have an answer soon.

Now time to cope with the frustration
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

One number is on the box and the other number is on the GH itself..near clicker:)

NimbusVapor

Just got my hopper yesterday and want to add my 2 cents.

The performance when paired with a glass piece far exceeds any expectations I had. I actually spent some time staring at it , wondering what kind of alien technology might be inside this thing.

Vapor production and efficiency of extraction are beyond exceptional. I have a hard time coming up with words to describe how excellent the performance is.
In my opinion , the grasshopper is to flower what the enail is to concentrate.

Thank you Hopper Labs

Last edited:

Grepper

Truth to prevail
Just received my replacement body for my 9th warranty claim. The body does not match the mouthpiece yet AGAIN....Additionally, they expect me to pay for returning the broken hopper. I'm going to assume they simply forgot to include a return label because expecting me to pay for shipping at this point would be very insulting. I can confidently say now, with 10 warranty claims behind me, that HopperLabs has proven to be completely incompetent and incapable. I would recommend anyone who is considering this product to STAY FAR AWAY, regardless of performance while it does work. No product is worth this hassle.

Churrucaman

One number is on the box and the other number is on the GH itself..near clicker:)

Wow there's a sticker on the other side of the box :rofl:

Oh wow, memory lane, I think that was warranty #2 for me. Officially a miscallibrated dial, fixed w new backend, in a working hopper the different temps are clearly different.

Guess the dice didn't go well for me then, hope I don't have to return it since I feel like I'm already falling in love.

In my opinion , the grasshopper is to flower what the enail is to concentrate.

Even with my present experience I would order another one right away if I could :freak:

Now knowing the issue and only having tested the max setting I still can say this thing is a powerhouse, like something brought from the future, the heater is really unbelievable.

Churrucaman,
Reactions: slcbdco

kingfisher

Just received my replacement body for my 9th warranty claim. The body does not match the mouthpiece yet AGAIN....Additionally, they expect me to pay for returning the broken hopper. I'm going to assume they simply forgot to include a return label because expecting me to pay for shipping at this point would be very insulting. I can confidently say now, with 10 warranty claims behind me, that HopperLabs has proven to be completely incompetent and incapable. I would recommend anyone who is considering this product to STAY FAR AWAY, regardless of performance while it does work. No product is worth this hassle.

Damn dude, rough experience. I would definitely email them about it. Especially if you ever had to return the unit because they screwed up the repair. I mean your talking $50-100 just to send it back to them at this point.

radiant34

atleast they honor their warranty, try going with storz and bickel and you'll really see what a bad warranty service is.

jivebuggered

At the risk of sounding a bit sophomoric and cheesy...I do believe about 4.20 is my optimal Hopper hitting level...native ;)

On a different note: If any Australian is thinking of ordering from Vaposhop or other European shops don`t bother! Me being Mr impatient,thought I would order Hopper from Vaposhop save waiting for a Australian shop to be getting there batch around end of June/early July. Mine has been sitting around Europe for six days and only just got on a plane to Aust. WTF!! Will probably be another week before getting to my door now. I will most likely get mine just when Aussie gets theirs what a waste of extra $160.

jivebuggered,

xlr8

So far my (short) experience with the grasshopper, ordered from vaposhop:

- received last tuesday, working very good, maybe better than my herbalaire with a glasspiece; a bit disapointed about battery life but at least they are cheap and i have an usb battery pack to carry around.

- died this monday morning, blue/red blinking after only 6 days of use...

At least vaposhop was very reactive and i got a return ticket (at their charge) to send it back to their french depot within 2 hours (i'm in France btw); it was delivered to the french office on the next day (yesterday).

By the time they replied they were sending me another one as soon as they get the return to their warehouse (in holland i guess), so i guess it will be a week long wait maximum if you are in EU to get back a working unit from them.

So far i'm glad not to have to send it back to the us and wait 3 week thanks to vaposhop, if that happens 10 times maybe not...

Top Bottom