Discontinued The Grasshopper

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Vape Dr. post: 1106193 said:
@CarolKing I was worried about scratching my mouthpiece and WPA/PFE as well so I came up with a super quick fix.

I got some heat shrink tubing and put a 1/2" piece on the end of each. I used a hair dryer to shrink it, but I also very carefully used a creme brulee torch to get it nice and tight and form fitted.

The heat shrink tubing can be left on or taken off very easily. When I'm out and about I leave the heat shrink tubing on my Ti hopper and it works great keeping the tip cooler.

Here are a few pics.

:science:
That is so awesome.@Vape Dr. using the shrink wrap. I love it. You would think HL would come up with a simple solution. I've been using my GH tonight. Need to be discreet. Family over. Love my Pinnacle Micro Shower Water Tool with this portable an incredible set up. Getting ready for SNL with Louis CK.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Just got the front end. Fat clouds but harsh dry due to the wider mouthpiece and more air hitting the throat. Will test thru water tonight. Looks promising no doubt.
9W7tyEz.jpg

akwardsauce

gold all in my chains...dont believe me just watch
just writing off the top of my head...sorry if its all jumbled thoughts...just a hastily written update from me with TLDR at the bottom:

so i have been kinda inactive lately cuz i been busy with life and stuff also cuz i havent had any real issues to notify you guys about so its almost 4/20 and i figured id just update you guys about my gh. so remember how we used to always joke about VAS and finding that holy grail vape? i guess i found mine in the GH and itfeelsgoodman.png too cuz i can bow out of the vape market as a consumer.

this basically does everything i ever needed a vape to do so i havent been shopping around or keeping updated in the industry. still curious to know what GH is going to do next i guess but my needs are filled for now and the foreseeable future...i wouldnt say im a fan boy tho cuz i remember what it was like to be on the waiting list and deal with a broken gh, which ive had to do before. but to be honest, i gotta give GH respect for at least delivering the device i thought i paid and waited for (are we still waiting on those leather cases they promised us, tho? or are we letting that one go? im good either way btw).

so i got my Ti at the end of july 2016 and no real issues, im still on my original 4 batteries i got with the vapes. if im at home, i usually change the batteries after each session (only fill enough to give about 1-3 medium pulls before dumping - so really small doses) or if im out, i take an extra battery and get about 2 sessions per battery on average. i kill everything on one session and dont really use 1 fill during a long gap of time. if i get an herb that is really dry, i wont grind it and wiill just pop a piece of nug into the chamber cuz if i grind it it will get too dusty. but if i have something that doesnt powder up, ill grind it quickly and loosely before use. i havent been paying attention to how i load the battery, but i think i basically drop it in upside down (i quickly glanced at someone saying thats bad)...i use only the nitecore to charge it i havent even touched the magnetic charging wire. i dont use the silicone mouthpiece and if its too hot i just wait a bit or man up. i keep my setting on max all the time and never change it...i use it anywhere from 0-2 times a day...what else...i never use water pipe anymore just hit it natively...i basically click it on and take all the puffs i can and letting it autoshutoff or click it off if im done...basically i let it heat up once and try to kill as much as i can during that time.

this vape, an extra battery, a small abv container, and my jyarz with some fresh flower is all i take with me when i go out to use it...no carry case or funnel or even battery case or anything like that. when i store it at home i put it in a smell proof zip bag but i havent noticed a strong odor from it when out in public...every once in a while i think ill catch a whiff of that abv smell but it could just be some phantom nose phenomena...nobody has ever questioned the "pen" unless they actually see me use it in public or something...a professor actually asked me what was in my hand once time at night in my building but was like "oh its just a pen, i thought it was an e-cig" lol (it was really late and i was kinda drunk and me and some students were playing ping pong in the games room of my school being all loud cuz we thought the building was mostly empty)...that was my closest call...

um no performance deterioration, no battery issues, i have cleaned the tip by soaking it in alcohol about 3 times ever so far...i use an alcohol wipe to clean the insides about 3 times total so far...sometimes brush it but rarely...i dont baby it, ive dropped it a few times, no real dings or dents (i wrapped it in gaffers tape to protect from scratches tho). never had to send in my Ti GHs to get repaired (i did it multiple times with an SS that i got off ebay and later sold to someone, but the ones GH sold to me after that have been perfect).

so you can probably tell why i havent been active on FC lately cuz i really dont have much to bitch about anymore.

TLDR: i dont take any special type of care of my gh and it works well enough to be the only vape i need for the foreseeable future since august 2016 - april 2017 so far.

hope you guys like this video...i made it to put my thoughts out there then decided to learn a bit more about video editing and this is what i came up with...

use this guide to skip around:

AM I BORING? TRY WATCHING THIS VIDEO IN DOUBLE SPEED!!! (click on gear icon at lower-right corner of video window and select 2x speed)...but i tried some different editing things in this video for the 1st time...im just having fun with it and learning how to edit videos so hopefully they will be better in the future...

gh manual: http://imgur.com/a/PyekC

1. gh address & is shipping discrete? 0:12
2. brown box opening: 0:45
3. where is warranty code? 1:30
4. opening GH boxes: 1:53
5. inside chamber: 2:37
6. "dial gap": 2:57
7. how to avoid scratches from clip: 3:48
8. first click ON: 4:16
9. how hot did it get from 1st burnoff? 4:56
10. other accessories in box: 6:15
11. how to put batteries in? 7:50
12. 3rd party cheap accessories (ebay & ecig stores): 10:10
13. how to use with glass: 12:45
14. how to fill up gh: 13:15
15. battery specs: 14:15
16. how i load it up: 14:45
17. 3.5 first try 15:45
18. 1st heat check: 17:15
19. 5 second try: 18:00
20. 2nd heat check 19:00
21. ABV check 19:30
22. b-roll footage 21:00

WoodyWeedPecker

I've had the other issue with the straight to blue light and I decided to ISO bath, until airholes level and it did work.. I'm still having an operating 2-months old unit with an open RMA waiting :p
Unless I missed it, I think you're the first confirmed "iso bath" repair.

I will definitely try the iso bath as a last resort before sending my gh in. I would basically have nothing to lose. You just have to be extra careful about the electronics and waiting for the hopper to completely dry up before using it again.

I received new GHB2. They are a major upgrade over my GHB1. I still had one unused GHB1 left so I could compare both new ghb2 and ghb1. I think I can do 2 bowls with the new ones while the older ones could barely get me through one bowl (just above one bowl). This vape is perfect as a stealthy portable. I'm still marveled with the 5sec heating time and the on-demand convection.

voodoo_vape

Vapour RebeL
Unless I missed it, I think you're the first confirmed "iso bath" repair.

I will definitely try the iso bath as a last resort before sending my gh in. I would basically have nothing to lose. You just have to be extra careful about the electronics and waiting for the hopper to completely dry up before using it again.

I received new GHB2. They are a major upgrade over my GHB1. I still had one unused GHB1 left so I could compare both new ghb2 and ghb1. I think I can do 2 bowls with the new ones while the older ones could barely get me through one bowl (just above one bowl). This vape is perfect as a stealthy portable. I'm still marveled with the 5sec heating time and the on-demand convection.

I think you're correct. At least I've posted a photo as well of it bathing :evil:
Bare in mind though to insert it quite vertical and up to the holes, no more!!

*** And the most important of all, LEAVE IT FOR AT LEAST 24 HRS TO DRY!! ***

biohacker

Let me try to understand. The GH is so great you need to buy 2, and ideally 3 so you will have one to use when you have to send the others in for their monthly or bi-monthly RMA. They get so hot you need a silicone condom to save your lips from being vaped or a glass bubbler while using the GH as the heat source. So for around $200.00 you get an undependable vaporizer that looks like a thick ballpoint pen, gets hot when vaping, has sketchy operation, constant need to be repaired, and unreliable availablity. And this is great why?

Sorry to create such static. I just wanted to know why people were so high, pardon the pun, on this vaporizer. I was very interested when first hearing about the vaporizer, and I am grateful for this thread because it saved me money and aggravation. Why are we marijuana consumers so passive in demanding the products we use be affordable and reliable. What other group of consumers would rave about products that are so expensive and unreliable? Until we get our shit together as consumers, this industry will continue to treat us like we "don't know shit from shinola". Sorry if this is broment killer.

I am not a hater, but sure cannot figure out how this can be a portable to recommend or even suggest to a vapor enthusiast. Every page of this thread has multiple entries of unit failures and other problems. Imagine a first time vapor user buying this for their first vaporizer. What kind of impression would this unit make? Even more important, what kind of impression would reading this thread have on one? If it were me, I would trash the GH - well sell it - and just go back to combustion.

I love to call out GH and complain as well, for just reason, however my thanks and praise have been heard loud and clear as well, so i'm not sure what your mission is here, especially since you have no direct personal experience with the GH, yet still want to be quite vocal (all your posts in this thread).

I retract what I said about completely agreeing with you, and now realize why you suggested that combustion would be the better choice, especially based on your complaints in other threads. Now, back to the Solo 2 thread so I can address your complaints about discussing a new vape in the "up and coming" section. :doh:

On a lighter note, does anyone think that HL will offer a 4/20 SALE? :lol:

Last edited:

almost there

My hopper came home with a new(not really bc mine was new) backend and I am happy to announce it's working:D. This may sound twisted but it's such a relief when I finally get that lip scorching heat everyone talks about. Anyway that VAS that's building has been soothed, no new purchases for me this month. Just have to hide my credit cards and not go on this forum till April is over:wave:. Just in case I better skip the first 2 weeks of May too, everyone will be posting their new 4/20 purchases, lol

Last edited:

voodoo_vape

Vapour RebeL
Yesterday I experienced a very hard-to-get clouds situation where I had totally overstuffed the hopper's chamber since I didn't have anywhere else to put the remaining :p
I did get some pretty thick clouds at some point, but for the amount put inside the session did not last as long as someone would expect. My typical load is around .1-.13 tops.. this is where the chamber is fully lose loaded!

biohacker

xGUcyUDhl1noTS8muDoG9RL5xTyYCW65r9gtwvKNXE6kwfLWckx71jP2ILw8sz1AMS8EMZx0jgUs3HQeJQ0CrB9EwMJzINCFPYXLxM74azrOPrzHPcjUEBz3XbBo8vKsGRbKzPE=s0-d-e1-ft

Grasshopper Grasshopper Mail
Hopper Labs - Video Tip

Hopper Lab's new YouTube channel showcases the Hopper, tips and tricks, how it's made and more. Our latest short video is a quick tip on loading the Hopper without a grinder. Subscribe to our channel to see all our latest videos. Enjoy!

Let us know what you want to see next in the video comments!

Hopper Labs will be hosting a Reddit AMA on Saturday, April 15th. More info click here!

kato1234

My SS hopper seems to be doing pretty well. I think the PFE will get me very close to the levels shown in the GH Labs video.

Some minor issues i've been having:
· At times I'll click my hopper to take a hit and only get a single red flash. A quick reset usually fixes it (off -> back on)

· Police lights (red/blue) only once when I posted earlier in the week. Battery swap proved to fix and both GHB2 are working well.

· My back end seems to get warm any where above 3. Nothing like a hot Arizer stem, even on 5.

Overall I'd say it's working 95% of the time :nod:
Same for me. Sometimes I get the straight to red. Hit the switch again and it's fine. As a long time e-cig user I think the problem is the battery to power ratio. Too much power needed/too small battery. Never had a hot backend yet but only new to using. I think the switch should be electronic not mechanical and we would have less problems.

Yesterday I experienced a very hard-to-get clouds situation where I had totally overstuffed the hopper's chamber since I didn't have anywhere else to put the remaining :p
I did get some pretty thick clouds at some point, but for the amount put inside the session did not last as long as someone would expect. My typical load is around .1-.13 tops.. this is where the chamber is fully lose loaded!
My hopper must be weird. I see a lot of people say theirs works better with a small loose amount, but honestly mine is the opposite. The vapor production is much weaker with a small loose amount. When I fill it to the brim and even press a little bit more down on top of that, I get rips that feel like huge dabs where I get all hot and sweaty and the cloud is just massive. Anyone else like to fill theirs up?

Edit: Not only do I fill mine to the brim, I tap the side of my hopper with my finger to settle the herb down in the chamber. I think I read someone say not to do this but it works great and my hopper oven looks clean as a whistle.

JoeMama

xGUcyUDhl1noTS8muDoG9RL5xTyYCW65r9gtwvKNXE6kwfLWckx71jP2ILw8sz1AMS8EMZx0jgUs3HQeJQ0CrB9EwMJzINCFPYXLxM74azrOPrzHPcjUEBz3XbBo8vKsGRbKzPE=s0-d-e1-ft

Grasshopper Grasshopper Mail
Hopper Labs - Video Tip

Hopper Lab's new YouTube channel showcases the Hopper, tips and tricks, how it's made and more. Our latest short video is a quick tip on loading the Hopper without a grinder. Subscribe to our channel to see all our latest videos. Enjoy!

Let us know what you want to see next in the video comments!

Hopper Labs will be hosting a Reddit AMA on Saturday, April 15th. More info click here!

So I watched, and of corse I felt like I was warching an ad fir the ad's sake... so I commented and asked about maintenance videos, etc...

The responded that there will be an Ask Me Anythng (AMA) thing on Reddit this Saturday:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/64rrq6/hopper_labs_ama_on_saturday_april_15th_1pm_mdt/

If I can make it, I guess I'd have some questions..

On one hopper my backend is hotter then in the past. I assume there are electronic components in the backend that heat would be hard on. Is that true and what are they if anyone knows.

MonsterWithoutBorders,

CE24

Easy solution for hot PFE use w/o pipe
I received the PFE about a week ago thinking it would work well without a bubbler. Was I ever wrong, so had been using the PFE and the old style condom but wanted a tighter fit. My solution was to use an old condom and cut it with a very very sharp knife with a sawing motion about 1/4 inch in front of the little ridge where it starts to taper. It is a tight fit to get back on and the front will actually have a reverse taper. May not be pretty but no more hot lips. Hope this helps someone and not a repost
Stainless ser# GS0001xx

CE24,
Reactions: Hogni

spoofy415

What's your guys average charge time? I read its suppose to be something like 90 minutes but I'm on my third hour of it being charged in my usb port. Seems to take just as long when plugged into a brick and in the wall. Anyone have any tips or tricks to make it charge faster or did they ship my a shitty charger/batteries?

spoofy415,

Bass Vaper

[USER=17350]@Bass Vaper
How you been with yours?[/USER]

Hey, thanks for asking, man. Very cool to do so.

I gave two away, I have two left (one SS one Ti). They've been operating fine as of late. It took warranty request #20, but they finally just fixed them. All 9 batteries are pretty much dead, only 3 of them make it thru a full load. Which seems odd to go through that many in just over a year of owning them, but oh well. No biggie. I can limp thru a load between the extra and the charger.

But....they don't get used much now either. I've purchased a Puffco + and Dr. Dabber Aurora (with glass globe) for concentrates. Holy shit are they really nice. I'm also using my Speak Easy pen for oils. Or I'm just back to smoking doobs or bowls for flower.

I love the Hoppers, I don't love their company. I don't lose sleep over it though, who gives a fuck?

But, I'll share an example of exceptional cx svc that maybe the Lab may take interest in:
I purchased my Aurora from eBay ($71) from an online retailer a couple weeks ago. When I got it I emailed Dr Dabber to see if they could verify it as authentic. They asked for a pic of the UPC code, I sent it, they replied & verified it as legit. In that same email they offered general tips on cleaning the atomizers (it comes with 3 different types), one tip was by soaking them in ISO. After a couple days of heavy use, I decided to soak them. After letting them dry for hrs, I reused them, all, for a few loads, they all tasted really bad. Like, unbearable. I emailed them back asking what to do to get rid of the taste, that I was going to just buy new ones (they are cheap). Chase (cx svc rep) emails back apologizing for any inconvenience and says if I buy a new one ($16) for me to send him the order number and he'd throw in extra "goodies". He sent me 2 new atomizers and the glass globe, free. No shipping.

Does anyone think the Lab would do that? I don't.

Highly recommend the Puffco +.

Last edited by a moderator:

biohacker

It took warranty request #20, but they finally just fixed them.

:o You sir, are a trooper indeed. Patience of a saint would be putting it lightly!

Does anyone think the Lab would do that? I don't.

haha, they don't give a flying fuck.. did they do anything extra for you for your 20 RMA's?

With respect to the Dr Dabber, apparently those atomizers can never really be cleaned properly? And they don't last very long before breaking down and needing replacement. Glad you have a stealthy option though, probably even more effective than a GH.

Thanks for your contribution bro, I have always empathized with your RMA woes...and respect your patience.
:peace:

Top Bottom