Discontinued The Grasshopper

vapviking

Old & In the Way
They didn't have any of these glass tools on Grasshopper's website. They must be sold out.
If by chance you're referring to the glass adapter (the peformance front end), HL mentioned in recent update that they were nearly out of stock.

Below is an option for a glass mouthpiece. Sorry to quote myself, it's just for the photo.

Fingers crossed for my first photo on FC!
Arizer glass mp in Hopper's silicone mp.
It's a very tight fit but works fine.

YFnHHP4.jpg

Well just got home from work, swapped a fresh battery and to my surprise all is well again with my Hopper!
This is great and a real treat. Sorry I was a little down about your chances.
I still believe what you now have is an intermittent problem at best; planning for it's absence might help that time go smoother.

As I've mentioned recently, I think a lot has to do with managing expectations of reliability.

I see @Baron23 's disappointment rooted in his deep background in, well, perfecting things. All well and good, but in my case ignorance of a lot that is my bliss. Sure, I know what quality is and what dependability is (I am a designer and a maker of things), I just don't apply the highest standards known to man to my Hopper.
It's not that I roll over worried and defenseless in face of failed Hopper, I just acknowledge and move on, so far through 10 rma's with sparse drama. This has afforded me now 7 months of great Hopping, and my experience of it seems to keep getting better!

JCat

Accessory Maker
If by chance you're referring to the glass adapter (the peformance front end), HL mentioned in recent update that they were nearly out of stock.

Below is an option for a glass mouthpiece. Sorry to quote myself, it's just for the photo.

This is great and a real treat. Sorry I was a little down about your chances.
I still believe what you now have is an intermittent problem at best; planning for it's absence might help that time go smoother.

As I've mentioned recently, I think a lot has to do with managing expectations of reliability.

I see @Baron23 's disappointment rooted in his deep background in, well, perfecting things. All well and good, but in my case ignorance of a lot that is my bliss. Sure, I know what quality is and what dependability is (I am a designer and a maker of things), I just don't apply the highest standards known to man to my Hopper.
It's not that I roll over worried and defenseless in face of failed Hopper, I just acknowledge and move on, so far through 10 rma's with sparse drama. This has afforded me now 7 months of great Hopping, and my experience of it seems to keep getting better!
I'm imagining you don't pay what we do then ... @ $25 per trip back to HL and a 3 week downtime, it can get steep. For example, for 1.5 weeks of use of my SS (some not working at 100%), I'm out $50 CAD. So I've spent about 20% on top of my purchase cost on RMA (after you account for currency exchange). Pretty steep repair costs for 1.5 weeks of use ... and it'll have been out of my hands in RMA land for 6 weeks (~75% of my total time of ownership) ... so although I do expect to have to RMA, and I do accept the nature of the reliability of the GH ... this severely sucks! I, as well, have not applied the highest standards, but I do expect to get more than 25% of the time of ownership where it can actually be used and be in my hands ... if you reverse those numbers at 75/25 then it's not so bad :lol: (still not great though!)

They didn't have any of these glass tools on Grasshopper's website. They must be sold out.
These bubblers were sold by RockZap. (that's the log vape you see pictured ... a Rockzap CRZ) I picked it up from a member on FC quite a few years ago ... on a side note, I had it repaired by PlanetVape a few years ago after breaking it while cleaning ... thanks @PlanetVape !

Edit: Whoops! Sorry for double-posting!

Last edited by a moderator:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I'm imagining you don't pay what we do then ... @ $25 per trip back to HL and a 3 week downtime, it can get steep. For example, for 1.5 weeks of use of my SS (some not working at 100%), I'm out $50 CAD. So I've spent about 20% on top of my purchase cost on RMA (after you account for currency exchange). Pretty steep repair costs for 1.5 weeks of use ... and it'll have been out of my hands in RMA land for 6 weeks (~75% of my total time of ownership) ... so although I do expect to have to RMA, and I do accept the nature of the reliability of the GH ... this severely sucks! I, as well, have not applied the highest standards, but I do expect to get more than 25% of the time of ownership where it can actually be used and be in my hands ... if you reverse those numbers at 75/25 then it's not so bad :lol: (still not great though!)
Yes, your math confirms the definite suckiness of the situation. I used to joke that if it all got unbearable I would just put the units in a drawer for a year or two then pull them out and warranty exchange for much improved Hoppers. The Time Capsule approach.

There have also been some humorous attempts here to come up with one's Hopper Dependability Ratio (rma's per month/per hopper owned and such...). You, unfortunately, would have an impressive score whatever the metric!
You're doing well to not freak too much! so, vent on!
We can hope for some new international plan for more service options to emerge 'cause it sure seems to be needed.

I guess I was generalizing on the 'lowered expectations of reliabilty' observation. And it's easier for me all around, as I'm one of the lucky guys it costs less than 3 bucks and two weeks' per. Only once in 7 months' time have both Hoppers been down! at the same time, so having 2 has worked out well in my case, which is pretty heavy use (2 people).

To all this I add yet again that we really, really like this vape!

JCat

Accessory Maker
Yes, your math confirms the definite suckiness of the situation. I used to joke that if it all got unbearable I would just put the units in a drawer for a year or two then pull them out and warranty exchange for much improved Hoppers. The Time Capsule approach.

There have also been some humorous attempts here to come up with one's Hopper Dependability Ratio (rma's per month/per hopper owned and such...). You, unfortunately, would have an impressive score whatever the metric!
You're doing well to not freak too much! so, vent on!
We can hope for some new international plan for more service options to emerge 'cause it sure seems to be needed.

I guess I was generalizing on the 'lowered expectations of reliabilty' observation. And it's easier for me all around, as I'm one of the lucky guys it costs less than 3 bucks and two weeks' per. Only once in 7 months' time have both Hoppers been down! at the same time, so having 2 has worked out well in my case, which is pretty heavy use (2 people).

To all this I add yet again that we really, really like this vape!
I really, really like this vape as well (which is why I own 2). My Ti one has about 1.5 weeks of mostly flawless usage, and has been hobbling along since (lots and lots of fiddling). Still haven't returned it though as it is hobbling along and I'm waiting to have my SS one back working before returning this one! (or for it to get to unacceptable levels of performance or fiddling required)

I'm trying not to sweat it too much ... I'm just hopeful HL does good by me on the shipping return (priority) this time and that when it comes back it works at 100% for a while! I have lots of other vapes that are reliable ... but this one does offer things the others do not ... it is unique in a few ways! Trying to look at it as being along for the ride ... the RMA shipping costs are part of the cost for that ride ... I am quite frustrated with the 3 week round-trip though, but I understand how that can't be avoided for the most part. It's unfortunate there are only reasonable shipping options from Canada to US and not the other way around (I am shipping there in 2-5 business days, 5 guaranteed, tracking the full way ... $25 CAD ... for this level of service in the opposite direction it's greater than twice the cost no matter how you do it!)

Also, I ordered an additional Ti front end, and it was defective on arrival. So I've sent that back with my RMA and they are going to send me a new one with my RMA return. This alone is saving them one shipping expense. So applying both shipping expenses to the one package gets me the $45 priority shipping (approximately). (seems reasonable to me anyways ... I'll make the request once my hopper gets there ... I think I also should order some extra batteries to be 100% sure my 5 GHB2's aren't defective ....)

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I really, really like this vape as well (which is why I own 2). My Ti one has about 1.5 weeks of mostly flawless usage, and has been hobbling along since (lots and lots of fiddling). Still haven't returned it though as it is hobbling along and I'm waiting to have my SS one back working before returning this one! (or for it to get to unacceptable levels of performance or fiddling required)

I'm trying not to sweat it too much ... I'm just hopeful HL does good by me on the shipping return (priority) this time and that when it comes back it works at 100% for a while! I have lots of other vapes that are reliable ... but this one does offer things the others do not ... it is unique in a few ways! Trying to look at it as being along for the ride ... the RMA shipping costs are part of the cost for that ride ... I am quite frustrated with the 3 week round-trip though, but I understand how that can't be avoided for the most part. It's unfortunate there are only reasonable shipping options from Canada to US and not the other way around (I am shipping there in 2-5 business days, 5 guaranteed, tracking the full way ... $25 CAD ... for this level of service in the opposite direction it's greater than twice the cost no matter how you do it!)

Also, I ordered an additional Ti front end, and it was defective on arrival. So I've sent that back with my RMA and they are going to send me a new one with my RMA return. This alone is saving them one shipping expense. So applying both shipping expenses to the one package gets me the $45 priority shipping (approximately). (seems reasonable to me anyways ... I'll make the request once my hopper gets there ... I think I also should order some extra batteries to be 100% sure my 5 GHB2's aren't defective ....)
Do you have a PFE? You might consider, rather than that second Ti front end being simply exchanged, upgrade it to a PFE; SS or Ti I don't think performance will be much different between the two (once they even release a Ti version). Apologies if I've missed you commenting on PFE before.

When I got a set of 5 GHB2's back in Nov./Dec. they outshined all of the B1's I had on hand, which were about 4-5 months old. But I still have 2 B1's in the rotation, with only 3 B2's (other two new ones I've never unpackaged, guess I should at least get them on a charger now & again). I do leave on charger a lot, usually between almost every bowl if at home. see below!

The first (or second :hmm: or third :hmm:) time a battery fails to make it through one chamber I toss it. I guess this is my wildest display of impatience with the Hopper!

While they have acted to save me $ in the past by combining shipping of accessories with rma, I don't see them flipping you the $25 'savings' into a shipping upgrade, it seems a stretch. But there's one thing I did learn in all my years in business, "It doesn't hurt to ask!"

Unrelated;
This is my multi-hopper inverted charging dock.

Still Life With Hoppers
MuwK8zP.jpg

I meant to add that this is an iron stand. The Chargers and Hoppers (when connected) stick themselves to it (magnetically) it at random and it doesn't seem to affect their charge cycles.

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
Do you have a PFE? You might consider, rather than that second Ti front end being simply exchanged, upgrade it to a PFE; SS or Ti I don't think performance will be much different between the two (once they even release a Ti version). Apologies if I've missed you commenting on PFE before.

When I got a set of 5 GHB2's back in Nov./Dec. they outshined all of the B1's I had on hand, which were about 4-5 months old. But I still have 2 B1's in the rotation, with only 3 B2's (other two new ones I've never unpackaged, guess I should at least get them on a charger now & again). I do leave on charger a lot, usually between almost every bowl if at home. see below!

The first (or second :hmm: or third :hmm:) time a battery fails to make it through one chamber I toss it. I guess this is my wildest display of impatience with the Hopper!

While they have acted to save me $ in the past by combining shipping of accessories with rma, I don't see them flipping you the $25 'savings' into a shipping upgrade, it seems a stretch. But there's one thing I did learn in all my years in business, "It doesn't hurt to ask!"

Unrelated;
This is my multi-hopper inverted charging dock.

Still Life With Hoppers
MuwK8zP.jpg

The reason I think it's warranted is the combined fact that my RMA is saving them $25 in shipping and the fact that my GH was pretty much DOA on return from first RMA ... and only 1.5 weeks of usage total ... so I think when you put all that together, I think it does warrant the priority shipping. It would go a long way to making me ok with the situation as opposed to being upset. It would be a gesture of good faith considering the DOA RMA ... I'm supporting them (2 Hoppers), they can at least show they care ... and this I would imagine would be extenuating circumstances, such a poor record as my SS hopper has had ...

Baron23

I was referring to @Baron23 ! I almost fell off of my chair with both of his quotes/comments; such a character! :D

hehehe.....yeah, I have a lot of character; all of it low down. LOL

Reminds me of the story of the drunk who justified his drinking by saying it enhanced his personality and was asked "But what if your personality stunk"? haha

This post pretty much instantly sold me on the pfe ... as I have the @DDave cooling wand and it should plug right in.
Only thing holding me back is I have a Titanium GH and not sure I want the SS on there or if I should wait for Ti pfe. Any pics of SS on Ti or comments?

Here is a pic of my Ti Bronze with the SS PFE. Personally, I don't get bent out about looks too much. To me, vapes are principally a tool, a device, not a fashion statement although if you spend any time over at the VapCap thread you may think otherwise!! ;):brow::lol::rofl:

Ti%20GH%20w%20PFE.jpeg

in my case ignorance of a lot that is my bliss

Amen, brother. Amen. :D

Last edited:

btka

I can not recommend the ups innovation mail.... it took them 1 week to transfer my package from boulder to california and now will give my package to usps to send it to europe...

in the past without ups innovation... usps shipped my package from boulder to europe in 2 to 4 days and ws not much more expensive then the new ups innovation shipping HL uses now...

also the tracking from usps was faster and more accurate then ups innovations... so normally in the past I got my packag in 4 to 12 days delivered ... I fear ups will need at less one month... do not know why HL switched to ups...

also I do not get what should be the reason to give ups a package which ups anyways gives usps to send abroad... why not send the package with usps only... what ismthe advantage of ups innovations... can somebody tell me?

MonkeyTime

I can not recommend the ups innovation mail.... it took them 1 week to transfer my package from boulder to california and now will give my package to usps to send it to europe...

in the past without ups innovation... usps shipped my package from boulder to europe in 2 to 4 days and ws not much more expensive then the new ups innovation shipping HL uses now...

also the tracking from usps was faster and more accurate then ups innovations... so normally in the past I got my packag in 4 to 12 days delivered ... I fear ups will need at less one month... do not know why HL switched to ups...

also I do not get what should be the reason to give ups a package which ups anyways gives usps to send abroad... why not send the package with usps only... what ismthe advantage of ups innovations... can somebody tell me?

? Money? Usually the decision maker....

So while using iso on a qtip to clean my pfe, it slipped and fell about 18" to my counter, and at the time i didn't think anything of it. After drying, i go to put it back on the body, and while it fits, it's very tight now and the threading isn't smooth anymore.

I just can't believe it's own weight was enough to take it out of round! I'll check it with a micrometer tonight to verify.

Anyone else experience something like this?

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
? Money? Usually the decision maker....

So while using iso on a qtip to clean my pfe, it slipped and fell about 18" to my counter, and at the time i didn't think anything of it. After drying, i go to put it back on the body, and while it fits, it's very tight now and the threading isn't smooth anymore.

I just can't believe it's own weight was enough to take it out of round! I'll check it with a micrometer tonight to verify.

Anyone else experience smithing like this?
I haven't experienced this with pfe, but yes with standard mp's. And I really think that when they mail a repaired Hopper to you that the mp should be protected better than essentially loose in a bubble envelope. At least screw it on to Hopper, wouldn't this reinforce the mp against 'bruising'?

To your issue, I think that in the pfe, down where the threads are, is very strong, especially being near the thick walled part of pfe, getting support. So, I think the threads are probably okay, and you're getting friction from the long thinner part being a little out of round and rubbing on the shaft.

Fwiw, my standard mp's have always seemed to find a way back to round, sometimes with help from me. When I slide mp on I look at the gap, put fingers there, on opposing sides at the points gap is widest, then take mp off and apply a little squeeze to it. Little by little.

But I'm sure you'll want to mic it!

MonkeyTime

I haven't experienced this with pfe, but yes with standard mp's. And I really think that when they mail a repaired Hopper to you that the mp should be protected better than essentially loose in a bubble envelope. At least screw it on to Hopper, wouldn't this reinforce the mp against 'bruising'?

To your issue, I think that in the pfe, down where the threads are, is very strong, especially being near the thick walled part of pfe, getting support. So, I think the threads are probably okay, and you're getting friction from the long thinner part being a little out of round and rubbing on the shaft.

Fwiw, my standard mp's have always seemed to find a way back to round, sometimes with help from me. When I slide mp on I look at the gap, put fingers there, on opposing sides at the points gap is widest, then take mp off and apply a little squeeze to it. Little by little.

But I'm sure you'll want to mic it!
Yeah, I'm not doubting it's the non-mouth end, I'm just surprised that such little force changed it. SS is pretty rigid, I've had to cut and drill it often and you have to pay attention or your cutting tool dulls up faster than a chainsaw touching the ground!

I was really surprised by the shipping too, I could see that warping it before a small fall!

Icon13

Serial Vapist
:rofl:

hahaha yeah i should've hire a proofreader before i post. it's not uncommon though for me to sound like an idiot when i talk so don't be surprised if you see it happen again.

and thanks for taking an interest in trying to figure out why some Hoppers are working better than others. i've been wondering this for quite some time too. some of the questions in my mind are: is the assembler of the unit at fault? are some more experienced at putting together the Hoppers? did they change manufacturers of some of the parts at some point? did they change the design or any other operational pieces on some of the devices and not on others? it could be in some cases, that it's just user error and not proper cleaning maintenance of the device. or maybe it is just being used in a way that it was not made to be used, like not letting it cool down and overworking the heater.

what i wonder most is, who at Hopper Labs has the longest running Hopper and who's had what problems with theirs.

Hopper Labs personally told me there have been various revisions to the product before replacing my unit, that never really lasted more than 3 weeks at a time, with a new revised version. I don't think this is surprising news considering many people have noted differences between the old ones and the new ones.

Baron23

Yeah, I'm not doubting it's the non-mouth end, I'm just surprised that such little force changed it. SS is pretty rigid, I've had to cut and drill it often and you have to pay attention or your cutting tool dulls up faster than a chainsaw touching the ground!

I was really surprised by the shipping too, I could see that warping it before a small fall!
I'm surprised also as my SS PFE feels like a real solid chunk of steel.

I do have one, have been using it with WP and mostly a 14mm J-hook.

I believe that Hopper touted the PFE as remaining cooler:
and eliminates mouthpiece heating during long sessions.

But I have no idea what they are talking about. I was up in pain at 4 am, got out of bed for a session, ran .1 - .12 g through the GH with PFE and J-hook. At that end of that short session, the PFE was hotter than hell and I DEFINITELY would not have wanted to put it in my mouth.

Its way more metal in the PFE and I found this surprising but undeniable. I believe Ti and SS have overlapping thermal conductivity numbers (depending on the type of SS) but all I can say is that after what....7-8 draws max the PFE was too hot to touch much less put in my mouth.

I do see the PFE as being very valuable accessory for WPs and such, but it doesn't solve the MP heat issue IMO.

c76man

In search of the best terps and smoothest vapor
For heat control, I prefer the standard mouthpiece to the PFE for dry hits. For me, I found it more comfortable to put the standard mouthpiece a little further in my mouth which keeps the hottest parts at the tip away from my lips. The PFE seems to heat up more uniformly, so this trick isn't working with the PFE as well.

Baron23

Just ran the GH with my Pinnacle Micro Shower water tube and it was exceptional - golden. This is the way to go with this unit. I loved it!!
So glad you are liking your GH, @CarolKing :tup::rockon:

I know you love log vapes (as do I) and to me, the GH delivers that kind of pure convection, ease of use with pretty dang small loads, and effects but just not tethered to a wall.

I do not leave my Enano on all night....just worry about fire hazard. So, when up in the middle of the night in pain, I most often pull the GH as its a very fast way to vape .1 grams and go back to sleep (or try at least LOL).

Mine has been solid as a brick for over nine months now. However, I do NOT use it as daily driver or vape it multiple times daily. We all know that there are rock solid ones out there and ones that definitely are not. Not sure how my reliable GH would hold up to hard daily use, may just keep on trucking just like it has been!

I am very glad to have a working GH in my cabinet.

Cheers

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Grasshopper on anything over 3 for more then couple of puffs is not a "lip lover" :brow:

Ur45smF.jpge

But with this on the tip I can hit it on 5 through couple of batteries :clap:

Unmodified hopper is stealthy but accessoriesed one is king

That glass is a off a broken bubbler pipe that I sanded clean and added some silicon tube so hopper holds on snuggle

Think I went through couple of DIY stems before I settled on this and also use it with my Enano ... ssoooo much better then the enano straight tube :drool:

Accessories your hopper :nod: this thing is never going to get much cooler with a new tip unless it's X size to deal with all the heat required to do what it do do

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I didn't use my GH with anything when I paired it with my water tube. It was naked!The silicone tip made it so it didn't fit as well, so I left it off. I worried about the surface of the GH getting scratched taking it off and on. It could be an issue.

JoeMama

Hopper Labs personally told me there have been various revisions to the product before replacing my unit, that never really lasted more than 3 weeks at a time, with a new revised version. I don't think this is surprising news considering many people have noted differences between the old ones and the new ones.

After reading several pages trying to "catch up" with Hopper fanfare and raspberries, this one caught my eye...
I haven't had any life-death Hopper issues since oh, 8 weeks ago (woo-hoo!). I'd thought of submitting a claim regarding sub-stellar Grey Ti performance when compared to my other Ti. I mean, it works, but seems like the Temps need to be a notch higher compared to the other to get similar results.

But after reading your post, @Icon13 , I'm thinking I'll just stay put.

While it's not surprising considering the commentaries on differences, it IS surprising that such frequent and short-lived design iterations are or have taken place. That to me is a sign of panicked engineering.

Top Bottom