Discontinued The Grasshopper

MoltenTiger

Hey All,

I am still using the 1st generation batteries from GH, what improvements have you noticed with the 2nd gen batteries?

Thnx

Tiny88
I haven't noticed any major differences, however new batteries will perform markedly better than batteries 6 month old or beyond.
I hope you get your GH and stop having issues with it. It's really great to have a working one. I am also getting an M soon we might receive it at the same time. It's suppose to ship out today.
Thank you :)
I have high hopes, it would be nice, but I think realistically, under the usage I was giving it, the GH would always eventually give in. Without the ability to properly clean the heater it's just inevitable. Now that I have a better at-home vape, I'll probably get better life from my hoppers, and use them more as they're intended. It is really great having a working one, and it'll be nice to receive it as we welcome Spring to the southern hemsiphere, I'll be sure to take it to some scenic spots. Having a backup dynavap with lighter is perfect too, but you can't beat GH tech when it wants to bring the goods.
It'll be interesting to see how we take to the 'M'

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I took my new hopper to the beach for a few days. I'm having some problems with the back end. Sometimes when I try to turn it on it shows red and then turns off. I took the battery out and I cleaned the end where the end attaches magnetically and screws on. Im thinking maybe there's something wrong with the clicker? It will work then I start having problems turning it on. I wonder too if it's when the battery gets a little low?

Last edited:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I took my new hopper to the beach for a few days. I'm having some problems with the back end. Sometimes when I try to turn it on it show red and then turns off. I took the battery out and I cleaned the end where the end attaches magnetically and screws on. Im thinking maybe there's something wrong with the clicker? It will work then I start having problems turning it on. I wonder too if it's when the battery gets a little low?

Sorry to hear you are having issues, that's a little disappointing. Had high hopes (or should I say hopes of being high) that the new releases were more robust. Not that one occurrence is evidence of otherwise but it's not a great sign.

Just to confirm, when you say you are cleaning the magnetic end, are you cleaning the contact? Have you cleaned the other contact inside the body using a long q-tip with a tiny amount of ISO (make sure it's not dripping off the q-tip)? Sometimes a thin layer of grease or gunk can build up on them and reduce the current and thus performance.

CarolKing

I'm hanging in there @GreenHopper with all your help and everyone else that have added to this thread maybe I can get it figured out. I could have some older batteries that aren't up to par as well. I did clean the air intake valve area where the battery fits down into. I had cleaned that area with a dry qtip while I was at the beach but didn't use ISO with it until today. It's working ok now but yesterday I thought everything was solved and it started doing the same thing again. Maybe the added ISO will be the trick.

Edit
Glad I brought another portable and a log vape as well on the trip. Always go on vacation prepared.:)

Last edited:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I hanging in there @GreenHopper with all your help maybe I can get it figured out. I could have some older batteries that aren't up to par as well. I did clean the air intake valve area where the battery fit s down into. I had clean that area with a dry qtip while I was at the beach but didn't use ISO with it until today

It could be the batteries, what are they like when you use the hopper with then fully charged, grease off the cable?

@AJS made an interesting post that may be relevant:
After cleaning my backend, I pressed down on the temp dial and spun it back and forth quite a few times. I forced the gap between the temp dial and steel that wraps just below it to close off. No flickering lights. Cool backend. Faster heatup. Damn. Screwed backend on as tight as humanly possible too.

GH works best she ever has. For now. She always worked great, but for this bowl ... it's a 100% perfectly running unit.

2RgL9P3.jpg

See. Forced that gap closed.

How's the gap on yours looking?

I suspect it's more battery/power related than dirty temp sensor. I believe the sensor issue causes a straight to blue error where as you said yours is a straight to red.

However here are @Vapetrees related posts:
My GH is still working after being brought back from the dead. If anyone is having the straight to blue hopper and has had it for a while, try looking under the screen in the heater since mine was gunked up after over a year of use and caused it to not heat up anymore. However, I'm about to go take some rips. Hope everyone else enjoys their GH. :peace:

@AJS I have tried that before with my newer GH's and it pops back to place.

Hit the GH earlier today before working out and put it away. Came back to it a few minutes ago and it went straight to blue :\. So, once again I take out the screen by the heater and find particles. I cleaned it put it back together and it's working again. I hope this doesn't start to happen more often because it would get really annoying taking out the screen constantly to get it to work.

Hope you get it working.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
I haven't noticed any major differences, however new batteries will perform markedly better than batteries 6 month old or beyond.

Thank you :)
I have high hopes, it would be nice, but I think realistically, under the usage I was giving it, the GH would always eventually give in. Without the ability to properly clean the heater it's just inevitable. Now that I have a better at-home vape, I'll probably get better life from my hoppers, and use them more as they're intended. It is really great having a working one, and it'll be nice to receive it as we welcome Spring to the southern hemsiphere, I'll be sure to take it to some scenic spots. Having a backup dynavap with lighter is perfect too, but you can't beat GH tech when it wants to bring the goods.
It'll be interesting to see how we take to the 'M'
Can't wait to get it. Most likely Monday or Tuesday. I just hope there's no combustion I've been looking at videos so hopefully I get it right.
It could be the batteries, what are they like when you use the hopper with then fully charged, grease off the cable?

@AJS made an interesting post that may be relevant:

How's the gap on yours looking?

I suspect it's more battery/power related than dirty temp sensor. I believe the sensor issue causes a straight to blue error where as you said yours is a straight to red.

However here are @Vapetrees related posts:

Hope you get it working.
It's working, I've been using it ever since. I took my dog to the dog park and had a few drags once we were out of there and went for a walk. I was feeling really good walking in the shade, ripping on the GH, walking my dog, and listening to the Black Keys lol. Out of nowhere some guy shows up and starts telling me my pup would be a good guard dog and starts training her lol. Good vibes :peace:

@CarolKing It sounds as if the power being cut off and that's why it turns off. Then issue mine had was straight to blue, but it would cut off I could keep inhaling even though there was no hot air and it wouldn't turn off. I hope you get it fixed.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Carol, for clarification. You have a brand new RMAed hopper and use it with older batts?

When I changed mine 3 weeks ago my older batts didn't perform as well. Shorter performance and one older batt which worked with the old hopper a few days ago changed pretty fast early immediately to red. I can't work with it anymore.
I guess the new ones need more power older batts can't deliver so good.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Hey @CarolKing,

Sounds to me like your back end is on the way out (that sounds like the start to me); always how it starts for me. My Ti has been hanging on for weeks (months?) in this state though ... I just try not to touch the dial or change the batteries once it's working right, and when it stops working, clean, rotate a bunch, fiddle with clicker (on/off, rotate while up and down, rotate w/ dial while pushing both in etc.); for the last month(s) I've been doing this with my Ti and it usually takes me a session or two after it starts messing up to get it dialed in to have to stop fiddling, but then it stays working for days often, then repeat!

I'm just waiting for my SS to be in my hands and working before I send my Ti one in. (I've been waiting since Feb ... 4 RMA's + received a replacement back-end from HL to try ... so sort of 5 RMA's ... and total <2 weeks functional for my SS in a period of 6 months) ... so ... my SS has an uptime of maybe 7% being optimistic. It's been down for 93+% of the time since I've owned it!!!! Ouch! It should be back from RMA end of next week or maybe early the week after ... I'm hopeful and optimistic (not sure why as experience dictates it still won't work when I get it back ...)

AJS

Calm Consistency
The thing that makes me feel good about my 'current' hopper is the fact that all the heat goes to the front of the device this time around. I'm thinking that a cool back end is the key to grasshopper longevity.

:spliff:
I've had a hot backend for a year now :) Still runs like the day I got her. Except when I manage to get the backend to stick together, then it's cool.

Mr.Sifter

And i think thats not a good thing for me.
It is addicting to get a vapor shot at once whenever you want it.
Feels like a junkie

Mr.Sifter,
Reactions: CarolKing

CarolKing

@Mr.Sifter you have to do what feels right for you.

Checking in again the GH has been hopping along since I throughly cleaned the inside where the battery sits. I made sure the qtip wasn't too wet and I turned the unit right side up so no ISO would dribble down inside. I may continue to have more problems but so far so good. My brother used it for a while then I used it. I wanted to give it a good testing. I've been using it today. So still testing......

Will check in again regarding this issue. Some folks may just send their units in verses trying to find a simple fix. Its trial and error sometimes. This is a very useful thread for folks. Of course often there's no simple fix as we have read in here.

Edit
I just loaded up some AK-47. What a good strain, a sweet and woodsy taste. It's suppose to make me creative and social.:lol::leaf:

I'm also marking my batteries that aren't performing up to par. I'm going through all six that I have. I am using my silicone mouthpiece when not using a water tool out of necessity.:o

Has anyone noticed that your hopper occasionally makes a ticking noise?

Last edited:

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
@Mr.Sifter you have to do what feels right for you.

Checking in again the GH has been hopping along since I throughly cleaned the inside where the battery sits. I made sure the qtip wasn't too wet and I turned the unit right side up so no ISO would dribble down inside. I may continue to have more problems but so far so good. My brother used it for a while then I used it. I wanted to give it a good testing. I've been using it today. So still testing......

Will check in again regarding this issue. Some folks may just send their units in verses trying to find a simple fix. Its trial and error sometimes. This is a very useful thread for folks. Of course often there's no simple fix as we have read in here.

Edit
I just loaded up some AK-47. What a good strain, a sweet and woodsy taste. It's suppose to make me creative and social.:lol::leaf:

I'm also marking my batteries that aren't performing up to par. I'm going through all six that I have. I am using my silicone mouthpiece when not using a water tool out of necessity.:o

Has anyone noticed that your hopper occasionally makes a ticking noise?
Yes, I believe it makes that noise when the heater is engaged. When you click it on and it's still on red waiting to go to blue, it will make a clicking noise and even after it goes blue the noise remains until your turn off the unit.

MoltenTiger

Thanks for the heads up I'll keep my eye on their website. I need some batteries too. Mine are over a year old and only last me around a session. I have 5 of them though, so I've been just cycling them.
Yeah, they told me that as they received their stock of plain metal PFEs (I was adding one to my RMA), so I guess the anodisation process is underway now. I ended up buying my mate a plain Ti instead of bronze to speed up shipment, I think the plain metal is worth considering as it doesn't look bad with an anodised body and is easy to clean (with PBW, alcohol won't make a difference). The tapered joint is going to get scuffed too, so at least with plain metal that's not very noticeable.
I was interested to see an anodised PFE though

Baron23

Well my hoppers dont seem to be sticking with the "newer ones are more reliable" phrase. I've now had 3 Ti returns in the past 3 months! Had each one back 2 weeks at most before it fails. 4 days for the first one they sent! :bang:
After the amount of time they have been in development and production, they should be embarrassed by this performance. Sad, really. If they keep this up, they will kill the company.

Imagine how many GHs would have been sold if we all felt we could recommend it without any reservations regarding reliability and durability.

If they won't, or can't, fix this....it will be their end eventually, IMO.

Top Bottom