Discontinued The Grasshopper

grokit

well-worn member
Imagine how many hoppers would've been sold if current owners waiting for more reliability had been able to purchase one, just to have something to vape with while their og hopper's in the repair shop.

w-cutelittlepiggy-11615-1425554386.jpg

I agree that their lifetime warranty will either save their bacon precious piglet, or sink their ship (edited).

:sherlock:

Last edited:

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Imagine how many hoppers would've been sold if current owners waiting for more reliability had been able to purchase one, just to have something to vape with while their og hopper's in the repair shop.

I agree that their lifetime warranty will either save their bacon, or sink their ship.

I agree too, but leave the animals alone please. :peace:

@MoltenTiger I just got an idea . When you told me to just leave the screen in the heater off the grasshopper. Do you think it would be a good idea to put a steel screen in there like a basket? So that less material will go under the screen in the oven?

Last edited:

guyonthecouch

Well my hoppers dont seem to be sticking with the "newer ones are more reliable" phrase. I've now had 3 Ti returns in the past 3 months! Had each one back 2 weeks at most before it fails. 4 days for the first one they sent! :bang:
sorry to hear about your troubles.. do you mind sharing the issue(s)/problems you're running into? just wondering if they're the same old or new ones.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out

w-cutelittlepiggy-11615-1425554386.jpg

I agree that their lifetime warranty will either save their bacon precious piglet, or sink their ship (edited).

I love the edit bro, and to keep it relevant to this thread my GH is still hitting hard. I'm loving starting at temp 3 and getting four good draws, and saving the rest for higher temperatures at night.

MoltenTiger

I love the edit bro, and to keep it relevant to this thread my GH is still hitting hard. I'm loving starting at temp 3 and getting four good draws, and saving the rest for higher temperatures at night.
I got my M.
It's an orange, that is to say the GH is an apple.
A hopper and an M though, such a great pair. They complement each other quite nicely for the old multi vape session. Still climbing the learning curve though, but I love the Dynavap M equally to the Grasshopper. Both are absolutely brilliant examples of design.
But they really do very different things.

I wish my GH was hitting hard, I gave it a go tonight and it just doesn't have the guts to do what I know and love it to be. Still, I got some tasty clouds, but I want my one hitter back.. hopefully I get my RMA soon, probably a week from now it will arrive and I can do some direct comparisons.. I'm curious how it performs in a Sublimator base station.
I agree too, but leave the animals alone please. :peace:

@MoltenTiger I just got an idea . When you told me to just leave the screen in the heater off the grasshopper. Do you think it would be a good idea to put a steel screen in there like a basket? So that less material will go under the screen in the oven?
I think you could do this and it would be no problem, but I don't know if it would be a good long term. It's probably worth a try, but I'd imagine it to would need to be removed and cleaned just like the other screen. I think it's fair to assume that a screen there is probably best, but it's not really going to do a lot, so if you're careful already it's possibly redundant.
I should take mine out and see if gunk is causing my hopper's weakness..

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
I got my M.
It's an orange, that is to say the GH is an apple.
A hopper and an M though, such a great pair. They complement each other quite nicely for the old multi vape session. Still climbing the learning curve though, but I love the Dynavap M equally to the Grasshopper. Both are absolutely brilliant examples of design.
But they really do very different things.

I wish my GH was hitting hard, I gave it a go tonight and it just doesn't have the guts to do what I know and love it to be. Still, I got some tasty clouds, but I want my one hitter back.. hopefully I get my RMA soon, probably a week from now it will arrive and I can do some direct comparisons.. I'm curious how it performs in a Sublimator base station.

I think you could do this and it would be no problem, but I don't know if it would be a good long term. It's probably worth a try, but I'd imagine it to would need to be removed and cleaned just like the other screen. I think it's fair to assume that a screen there is probably best, but it's not really going to do a lot, so if you're careful already it's possibly redundant.
I should take mine out and see if gunk is causing my hopper's weakness..
I got mine a few minutes ago as well. I haven't tried it but I'm headed to my local smoke shop to get a jet lighter. Hopefully they're not too expensive.

MoltenTiger

I got mine a few minutes ago as well. I haven't tried it but I'm headed to my local smoke shop to get a jet lighter. Hopefully they're not too expensive.
I've been using the quad jet from the dynavap site (which got more attention from my smoking friends than the vape lol), I'd imagine nearly any flame would be sufficient though so I wouldn't be too fussy picking.
I was reading a Bic lighter takes about 15 seconds, but leaves charcoal. I think a candle would be perfect, but need to try it.

The draw resistance seems to be awful though, beyond thickshake.

I like the M native and the GH on glass.
The M is not great with glass and the GH is not great native.

I think I'll stand by my thoughts on gas vs batteries. The VapCap caused me to refill from a 'heavy' session.
I might amend my previous thoughts about equal love for the M/GH.
If the GH were to work reliably - it's vastly superior in most every way. But the M keeps it simple. It makes the perfect hopper back up; cheap, reliable, takes the edge off waiting for RMAs, quality and fun

ktmstick

How about a really fine screen on top of the stock screen. That would keep particles out and be easily removable for cleaning. I have a replacement body being shipped to me so I may add one as an extra layer of protection. Mine currently goes red then straight to blue, heater still clicks but not enough for vapour. I did manage to fix it with iso bath then compressor blow out but only lasted another few days. Have done it again twice since and only got 1 hit before back to straight to blue.

I'm sure it's from debris on heater or temp sensor.

I have also ordered a 3d printed sealed case for it.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I wanted to put this out there:
I noticed the only time mine makes the clicking sound is when it stays on blue and doesn't shut off. It will eventually get extremely hot. I will manually have to shut it off. I would imagine this would deplete the battery pretty fast.

Also:
The end of the GH area seems ultra sensitive at times (not always) when touched while sitting on the table. It will randomly turn on without being turned on. I suggest taking your battery out when not in use. I'm sure this is a flaw but not ready to have to send mine in yet. I'm waiting to see what else happens. More testing in the name of science.

I've written on my batteries that are underperforming with a sharpie so I can keep track. Eventually I will buy some of the newer ones and figure out in the meantime whatever else I might need. It's better to buy everything all at once and save shipping costs.

Edit
I usually don't like a vaporizer that requires buying parts all the time, unless you want to. Theres all these new pieces through Hopper Labs. Not sure what really is necessary or should be covered under the warranty? I just bought mine am I suppose to be adding parts because something new and improved has come out? This can nickel and dime us all to death. Kinda like Comcast.:lol:

Last edited:

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
I've been using the quad jet from the dynavap site (which got more attention from my smoking friends than the vape lol), I'd imagine nearly any flame would be sufficient though so I wouldn't be too fussy picking.
I was reading a Bic lighter takes about 15 seconds, but leaves charcoal. I think a candle would be perfect, but need to try it.

The draw resistance seems to be awful though, beyond thickshake.

I like the M native and the GH on glass.
The M is not great with glass and the GH is not great native.

I think I'll stand by my thoughts on gas vs batteries. The VapCap caused me to refill from a 'heavy' session.
I might amend my previous thoughts about equal love for the M/GH.
If the GH were to work reliably - it's vastly superior in most every way. But the M keeps it simple. It makes the perfect hopper back up; cheap, reliable, takes the edge off waiting for RMAs, quality and fun
Tried it once and I think I combusted just a bit. I didn't pack it that much though. Just a bit of leftover stuff from what I usually throw in the GH from a doobtube. I went back to the GH, I'm at the park and it's super windy so the GH is just so easy to use. I don't see this M taking over the GH daily duties. It's my go to and I thInk it will be that way until someone makes a vaporizer that can do what the GH does so inconspicuously.

@CarolKing My purple Ti was getting warm from the backend as well and I just cleaned the threads and backend well and it went back to cool.

MoltenTiger

How about a really fine screen on top of the stock screen. That would keep particles out and be easily removable for cleaning. I have a replacement body being shipped to me so I may add one as an extra layer of protection. Mine currently goes red then straight to blue, heater still clicks but not enough for vapour. I did manage to fix it with iso bath then compressor blow out but only lasted another few days. Have done it again twice since and only got 1 hit before back to straight to blue.

I'm sure it's from debris on heater or temp sensor.

I have also ordered a 3d printed sealed case for it.
It might help to have an extra buffer between the herb and the device, to soak up backflowing fluid whilst being removeable and cleanable. Ultimately the chamber should be just that, modular and accessible designs are a necessity with oil extraction devices..
It's actually quite amazing how oily cannabis is compared to similar and other plants, how marvellous.

A pity that you were unable to solve the straight to blue. You could possibly try an iso soak but with heat involved. Either with a water bath or hot plate, or pre heating the alcohol. This will improve its ability to dissolve and transfer the problematic residue. Without any abrasion it'll be pretty hard to remove though.
The inside chamber of my blue weak GH is totally stained from plant oils despite my efforts to keep it clean, so I can only imagine the parts behind, where I haven't been able to access, are similar or worse.
I'll consider some deep cleaning myself as I am starting to miss having a hopper.
After stashing it away for a couple of weeks, bringing it back out I really noticed how damn nice a product it is. Anodised blue with the 14mm plain Ti PFE is a nice bit of kit when I compare it to an SS Sublimator. It's a classy pen the hopper, if only it was somehow industructable.

I wanted to put this out there:
I noticed the only time mine makes the clicking sound is when it stays on blue and doesn't shut off. It will eventually get extremely hot. I will manually have to shut it off. I would imagine this would deplete the battery pretty fast.

Also:
The end of the GH area seems ultra sensitive at times (not always) when touched while sitting on the table. It will randomly turn on without being turned on. I suggest taking your battery out when not in use. I'm sure this is a flaw but not ready to have to send mine in yet. I'm waiting to see what else happens. More testing in the name of science.

I've written on my batteries that are underperforming with a sharpie so I can keep track. Eventually I will buy some of the newer ones and figure out in the meantime whatever else I might need. It's better to buy everything all at once and save shipping costs.

Edit
I usually don't like a vaporizer that requires buying parts all the time, unless you want to. Theres all these new pieces through Hopper Labs. Not sure what really is necessary or should be covered under the warranty? I just bought mine am I suppose to be adding parts because something new and improved has come out? This can nickel and dime us all to death. Kinda like Comcast.:lol:
There's been a couple of accounts of the auto 15s time-out not working, I had it. I don't think it's too much of an issue, but try and prevent the thing from overheating (it might deplete rapidly, but I've left it on for over 10 minutes. It proper sublimated after that heat-soak, you can hear these devices do it. The crackling the chamber makes.) overheating is bad but protection is built in. Despite this, mine ended up just getting straight to blue issues, but only worked a few weeks upon return.

The other thing you've mentioned, the random power ons, I've heard before too, but haven't experienced. It must be one of few faults I haven't yet faced haha.
It sounds a bit sketchy to be honest and perhaps would be worth emailing HL about. But I would also be continuing use regardless :)

And I also agree about the batteries and PFE extras, a tad annoying. I have managed to coincide multiple RMAs with all my restocks though, which has ended up saving me a few dollars in postage.

I wonder when that bloody SS case will drop though, traded my funds (purchased 07/15) for batteries that have since died. Lol.

Tried it once and I think I combusted just a bit. I didn't pack it that much though. Just a bit of leftover stuff from what I usually throw in the GH from a doobtube. I went back to the GH, I'm at the park and it's super windy so the GH is just so easy to use. I don't see this M taking over the GH daily duties. It's my go to and I thInk it will be that way until someone makes a vaporizer that can do what the GH does so inconspicuously.

@CarolKing My purple Ti was getting warm from the backend as well and I just cleaned the threads and backend well and it went back to cool.
Yeah, it's a manual vape and I did the very same. Might be weird to say, but it actually does a very good job of a light combustion (like the GH actually, as either don't breach 300° Celsius, the addition is benzene based pyrolisis byproducts [which begin ~200°C\390°F]), even though the material is charred there is minimal tars generated, so it tastes worse than vaping but it's still better and much more potent than smoking.

There's no question though, the GH is much easier to use than the VapCap, and I'll be using my M for two use cases: as my portable when the GH is down, but mainly to sit back relax and have a few slow lighter tokes. It has a nice signature and is enjoyable to use, but it doesn't fit my favourite usage: load up a single dose, blast it, move on.
The M is a session vape, like a joint style of toking, where some time is necessarily absorbed in the process of using and enjoying it. I like that as an option but I don't want to be restricted to that style.
For a long while that's what I assumed vaping was restricted to and wasn't interested in it.
The EQ allowed me to switch to vaping but wasn't good enough to escape the strong grasps of nicotine addiction, the GH was better and got me very close, perhaps there.
Now I have the Sublimator, I have properly caught up to the clouds I was chasing, but I couldn't quit smoking with it alone. So as a squad of three I've somehow managed a near perfect solution - if only the hoppers would always work!

Last edited:

snaffle

Thanks for all your replies to my musings about selling the Grasshopper. I've decided definitely not to.

I do really enjoy the Vapcaps, the ritual, the reliability, and the flavour, but for out and about the Grasshopper is better for me. In some ways I prefer the Vapcap M, because if I lose it then it's not a big expensive deal, but you're all right about the stealth of the GH. I hadn't fully appreciated that, as I only took my Vapcap out for the first time recently, and yeah, it's nothing like taking the GH out. I have used the GH all over the place, including in train carriages (nearly empty, at night), and it's great for that - fun, fast, silent, stealthy. The Vapcap is quite a different story.

My usage is reasonably light (0-3 times per week, in general), and the GH has held up well for the nearly year I've had it. I will just keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way for many years to come.

@grokit I absolutely agree about the vapcap, I only ever use it in a one-hitter way, with a similar profile to good GH hits. Though the GH chamber is significantly larger than the vapcap's, so for the biggest possible hits in a bong or similar, the GH will always have the edge.

MoltenTiger

You can heat the m low and slow to give you one-hit extraction, you just have to practice at it :tup:
Yeah, I still have much experimenting to do with my M. It's reassuring to know that it's capable, but I've yet to have much success through glass (which I might mention is my favourite way to inhale). It's insanely restrictive compared to my other vapes, people say the GH has 'open airflow' but before now it was the most draw resistive option I had, even with the PFE.

The VapCap is very much like sucking a marble through a straw, with a direct draw I can tolerate it, but when it's attached to a bong it feels like there's a seed stuck in my cone piece and it's no good. Battling bongs isn't something I'm a fan of, it's supposed to be a smooth but powerful experience, not a painful effort for one smallish hit.
Most videos I've seen look like there's heaps more airflow than what I've got, so I'll keep at it, I'm probably doing something wrong or have yet to master the carb.

Natively I prefer slow extraction anyway, to me it's a new option, similar to a joint. I have put joints in bongs before, but rarely, so I think I'll be the same with this vape. Maybe I'll figure it out, but it really does seem like a nice back-up or side option more than it seems like a device I would actually solely use, like I have managed with the GH.

I'll use it when I'm at home watching tv or reading. Have you cleaned your GH under the screen in the heating chamber?
Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking. But in practice the GH is my better choice for those activities, as it doesn't require much thought or attention. Load it, click it, hit it.
Loading the M, manually heating it, manually hitting it and letting it cool is great, but it's going to distract me from what I'm doing.
I like the idea of taking the M out riding, hiking or for some other scenic toking, where killing a bit of time and having something to attentively do is exactly what's wanted. And the effect it gives, I think will lend itself to that situation very nicely. The only thing I think where the GH would do better in those situations is with low temp hits, which for mountain biking at least, is probably the better option. Time will tell.

I haven't done any cleaning in my GH herb chamber beyond dry scraping the walls and brushing it out constantly. The screen/heater is stained, so some cleaning is necessary. How it's best done is beyond me, but I'll give it a go. As it is the GH is barely going to be used

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Best emergency stem turned full time EVE-H!!

1z371br.jpg

always keep an apple at hand or your going to have a bad time
:tup:

Hjalmark,

Baron23

Best emergency stem turned full time EVE-H!!

1z371br.jpg

always keep an apple at hand or your going to have a bad time
:tup:
Try Imgur....Photobucket and others are now refusing to allow 3rd party hosting and this site does not upload pics to its server. Photobucket wants $500/year to upgrade to an account that allows that.

I switched to Imgur and f*ck Photobucket and their $500/year. If it was $50/year, I would consider it for services rendered. All Photobucket ensured with this move is that I will never use them again.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Is it possible the VapCap and Grasshopper are more closely related than expected? I recently started reading about infinite switches. Basically they are bi-metallic switches that regulate the heaters on stoves and kilns.

If this is the same tech that powers the Grasshopper's 3D printed heater than it would explain the clicking sound. It would function like a much faster (and smaller) version of the VapCap's cap, with the bi-metallic switch rapidly turning the heater on and off.

I'm probably completely wrong but it's fun to speculate.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I love the ease of use with the GH. The VC takes too much work IMO. I personally don't like using a lighter. That's just me. The VC has a large fan club with many happy users. I sometimes suggest it as a vaporizer even though I personally don't use one.

My GH continues to randomly turn on while just sitting on the table. At times while I'm using it, the GH stays on and I have to manually turn it off. I mentioned this above.

The cleaning of the battery conductor area seems to have stopped any problems I had with it randomly turning off while trying to vaporize and not being able to turn it back on.

I'm continuing to work around any problems.
My older model Titanium GH didn't have any issues. I wish I hadn't lost it.

Edit
I do use a VapCap M as a mouthpiece with my Woodscents log vape.:D

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I love the ease of use with the GH. The VC takes too much work IMO. I personally don't like using a lighter. That's just me. The VC has a large fan club with many happy users. I sometimes suggest it as a vaporizer even though I personally don't use one.

My GH continues to randomly turn on while just sitting on the table. At times while I'm using it, the GH stays on and I have to manually turn it off. I mentioned this above.

The cleaning of the battery conductor area seems to have stopped any problems I had with it randomly turning off while trying to vaporize and not being able to turn it back on.

I'm continuing to work around any problems.
My older model Titanium GH didn't have any issues. I wish I hadn't lost it.

Edit
I do use a VapCap M as a mouthpiece with my Woodscents log vape.
Not to go too far off topic but the VapCap is definitely more of an occasional vape for me, when I have time for the ritual. The Grasshopper is king of the hill when it comes to ease of use, at least when it's functioning fully.

I'm sincerely sorry to hear about your new problems, it sucks to take a step back in regards to functionality. I've had had two Grasshoppers for a combined ownership of almost two years now and have never seen one of my Grasshoppers randomly turn on.

The question is do you file a RMA now or wait for a possible increase in reliability? I've held off on sending my Grasshoppers in even though they both are behaving inconsistently. For what it's worth the double click technique does seem to help with both but a fully functioning hopper shouldn't require special technique to achieve maximum results in my opinion.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
@CarolKing, give the Pipe's Induction heater a try! With the VC it's a phantastic pairing. I don't like the hassle with the tane torch very much (I know a lot of users like exactely this when using the VC). But using it with the PIH opens an absolutely new experience. Stick it in - wait 4-5 sec. - ready to vape! And it will give you nearly 80 heating runs until the bats have to be loaded again. Power of nearly 10 GHB which are to swap to reach the same performance.
Don't want to miss my PIH anymore....

Did I've say that i'm totally in love again with my new RMAed hopper? But using it nearly exclusively with the DDave VC cooler - it's so nice :love:

Last edited:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
@CarolKing, give the Pipe's Induction heater a try! With the VC it's a phantastic pairing. I don't like the hassle with the tane torch very much (I know a lot of users like exactely this when using the VC). But using it with the PIH opens an absolutely new experience. Stick it in - wait 4-5 sec. - ready to vape! And it will give you nearly 80 heating runs until the bats have to be loaded again. Power of nearly 10 GHB which are to swap to reach the same performance.
Don't want to miss mine PIH anymore....

Have I said that i'm totally in love again with my new RMAed hopper? But using it nearly exclusive with the DDave VC cooler - it's so nice :love:

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I love my GrassHoppers but they cause me more concern than a VC with an Induction Heater.

If the GrassHopper was more reliable and didn't slowly diminish in capability over time, which is what I'm experiencing then it would be king (for me). I have fairly new GHB2 batts but an older GH body so suspect my temp sensor may need cleaning.

Top Bottom