1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. fcmember

fcmember Well-Known Member

Great point! :clap:

2. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Sup guys,

Sometime lurker, first time poster.
    Plz help.

Last night my grasshopper broke apart in my hands!

The back end, right at the notch where you twist to change the temp, split.
    Leaving me with two backend pieces, with a spring and a little rod between the two pieces. I kinda twisted and pushed the pieces back together. But now my GH doesnt work.

When screwing the backend on the body there are red lights that come on,and flash kinda erratically. After a while the lights turn off, clicking the button doesnt seem to affect the lights. No heat.

Has this happened to anyone before/ know a fix?
    I really dont want to send it back in, i just got it back. After getting it back, the back end was real tight and thats why i p much broke it. The ride never ends. :whoa:

Grepper, JCat and freshly baked like this.
  3. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

Sorry to hear that. Your hopper broke apart and your rep didn't work. So you have to send it back to GHL I fear.

I've tested my changed ss hopper. Performance is much better, better than my old one in the first days.
    I had to start at 3.5 with my old hopper, the new one is performing the same at 2.0.
    Now finishing at 3.5 - 4.0. With my old one I was always increasing temp up to 5.0.
    At all settings much more, thicker vapour than the old one.
    At 5.0 no combustion just a darker brown but not black.
    Like the new performance. Thats's the way we are loving our hoppers. Let's see how long!? :\

These experiences resulted by original use not with wt. Will try it with wt too. Maybe it's getting so hot at 5.0 that combustion could happen

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    grokit, JCat, freshly baked and 3 others like this.
  4. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

In some rare cases these days, HL will send out a replacement before you return the old part; this might save you some down time. In the early days they did this pretty regularly, and it seem like you clearly need a new back end. Open a warranty request or send a message within that previous request if they've not yet closed it out.

If you are talking about the Hopper and waiting for a funnel, you can easily mock one up with some glossy card stock (heavy paper) and some tape. Twist it up, tape it and cut the small end at a point so it will just fit inside the Hopper. Might take a couple of tries to get a nice one...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017
    JCat, freshly baked, Mr. Me2 and 5 others like this.
  5. btka

btka Well-Known Member

@Hogni do you have also a new screen upgrade and do you can see under your screen this white cottony Material.. maybe someone can take a picture from this new screen and cotton thing...

so @Hogni @CEOnnor you like the performance of the new hopper (upgrades) and clouds are even bigger then before (the temp update) if it performs now better I will ask gh labs if they could upgrade my temp settings (and if it will cost anything), one of my ghs is now weaker but it works so I do not think they would do anything if I would rma it...

6. Lefty

Lefty New Member

man
    this sucks

how do you test this
    how many hoppers have you had?

is there like a sticky or something up in here

done

JCat likes this.
  7. Icon13

Icon13 Serial Vapist

Seen it. Lol. Mine came apart too at some point. What do you expect? The damn parts are literally glued together.

8. Hogni

@btka, screen looks the same, no cotton or such else visible.

@Lefty, How should I test it? As everytime, load it, set it, power it, hit it.....

3 weeks ago I bought together with a friend a new GH ti for him. Because of this experience I started at 2, not at 3.5 as with my old one, with my new one and it showed the same increase of performance.

Why paying an upgrade? Wait for your next RMA. It will come for sure....

Vapor_Eyes, grokit, JCat and 4 others like this.
  9. MonkeyTime

MonkeyTime Well-Known Member

Because unfortunately they don't always come back improved :|

Hogni, JCat, freshly baked and 2 others like this.
  10. btka

btka Well-Known Member

tried this today... had a drip tip lying around... this works incredibly good no hotness take as much draws after draw... I am now iso bathing my pfe... will try it after iso bathing again.... but i really recommend this... funny that gh labs did not come up with such a solution... In my opinion my drip tip is made out of teflon.... maybe after realising this modifications they will jump on it... but realy this is such a easy modification which really eliminates hot mp/ front ends and it is such simple.... maybe i will use the gh now more often native...

try it if you have a pfe and drip tip..

11. mmenzie

mmenzie My friends call me "Menz"

i have some drip tips but none anywhere near as big as in the pictures. mostly small ones for e-cig tanks. wonder if it would still help even if they are smaller?

***EDIT*** nevermind... all my smaller drip tips are too wide of an opening to fit in the end of the PFE

12. fcmember

fcmember Well-Known Member

Looks like that new front-end created more problems and ruined the asthetics and stealthiness, especially if you have to use a long drip tip.

13. btka

btka Well-Known Member

Vapor_Eyes and GreenHopper like this.
  14. vapviking

I don't see that it has created any problems; I really like the pfe. It makes for a perfect and direct match to 14mm glass and is an improvement over the standard issue mp because there are zero internal parts/places to get hidden gunk, so it stays cleaner. Even the screen placement is improved over that in the original mp.
    No one is saying you have to use a drip tip. I don't even technically know what that is. I like using the pfe native or with water piece. It does get hot, but what wouldn't if it were this small and 400 degrees inside! So I may let it cool for 20 or 30 seconds in between some pretty huge, flavorful rips! This is not a problem, imo.

15. btka

btka Well-Known Member

I also do not find that the pfe created more problems... I like it a lot... and it is an extra accessories... and makes it a lot easier and comfortable to use your gh with a watertool...

if you buy a new gh you will get the og mouthpice front end and if you like you can buy the pfe...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  16. Hogni

Stealthiness of the PFE is much less than that of the OG frontend for sure. But who cares? My PFE is just for use with water tools, collectors etc not for on the go.

Vapor_Eyes likes this.
  17. Bomb33

Bomb33 Well-Known Member

Had me thinking too but none of my tips fit. Going to have to get one. I'm loving this thing more and more. Notice it's really strong as I thought I would try it on the highest setting and I literally was breathing fire. And that was through water. I'm now loving it on 3.5. Notice the white cotton in mine and it certainly has performed. Question is why don't the Pfe fit my 14mm bong? Got to use the condom?

18. vapviking

I have used PFE with 14 mm glass and it fits great. Also put it in an adapter 14 to 18 mm so I can use it with 18mm glass,and it fits the adapter fine. Is It possible your glass is not 14mm, like maybe it's 18mm?
    (HL carries those 14/18 adapters, made of glass)
    *I think also, for your reference, that the outside diameter of the Hopper body itself is 14mm, but don't take that as gospel.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Hogni and JCat like this.
  19. Bomb33

Bomb33 Well-Known Member

No lol I have both but my 14mm is from the UK lol?? Maybe it's smaller by a c hair. Lol I am using the sneaky Petes attachment for the mighty upside down in my 18mm as a reducer lol but need the condom for good fit. Time to go shopping.lol

vapviking and JCat like this.
  20. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

Greetings gang

Been off the boards just rolling along....

Can anyone tell me if the PFE screen is removable and if so how?

Any cautionary tales are welcome.

21. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

No idea as the PFE basically a 14 mm male adapter. Fits all of my 14 mm joints, hand made and scientific.

I believe we saw info earlier that says it is not. Nor does it have all of those fiddly pieces that the standard MP is made up of.

Just drop the whole PFE in ISO and there you are, I believe

22. Shieldsab

Shieldsab Well-Known Member

While I wait for suite inspections to be done so I can use it again, I thought I'd drop back in and say my GH and PFE are still running great. The most I've had to do is scrape the PFE screen with the end of the clip. Anything else generally blows right back through. The restriction is so much less, it makes it even more enjoyable taking hits. I'm still cycling between 2 new B2 and 1 old B2 battery, usually getting through a full cycle most days. Although I'll probably buy another 2 or 3 next month. I'm running it at no lower than 3, usually higher. The back end gets very hot, but this hasn't caused any issues so far so I just ignore it. I've had it for a good 9 months now.

freshly baked, JCat, slcbdco and 3 others like this.
  23. snaffle

snaffle Member

@Hogni, that's great your new GH is working so well, do you think it's just the temperature that's different (maybe the firmware update better regulates it, instead of just increasing the temperature)?

My GH is still going strong. As @Shieldsab, my backend gets hot (hotter than it used to, I think), but it still performs well, so I'm happy.

The vapcap thread almost has as many pages as this one now, which I'm sad about; I liked having a vaporiser with an unreasonably high number of posts about it (even if a lot of them have been trials and tribulations with reliability) ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2017 at 11:35 PM
  24. Hogni

Not only. It's the overall performance which I like much more. Temp seems to stay more stable while drawing. I don't know how they did it.
    Now my start setting is 2.0. After the first draw fat and tasty clouds. Going higher to 4.0 for finishing. Just tried a finish draw at 5.0. Harsher but very equally roasted to a mid to darker brown.
    One thing I noticed. It seems that the batts have to work more. Pretty fast changing to red flickering. Same batts didn't show this behavior with my old GH so fast. But I mean this regards to older batts with already existing decrease of performance.
    I like to use my new hopper much more often now than the old one.

freshly baked, grokit and btka like this.
  25. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

Took my GH on vacation with me and it worked great. Very stealth and I enjoyed it a lot. I used it at an RV park sitting at a picnic table. It must have dropped out of my pocket and I didn't think about using it until the next day. I lost it somewhere between CA and OR. Not sure where? I thought it was somewhere in our RV or in the bottom of my bag but it never showed up again. It was a wonderful trip except for that mishap.

I just ordered me another one just now. I'm going with a stainless steel and just bought an extra battery. They are so small they are easily lost. I hope I don't get a lemon this time around. I was very contented with the one I had.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors