1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. slcbdco

slcbdco Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

I have and like both. Very different experiences though. I definitely prefer the grasshoppper and use it a lot more often. Sometimes I enjoy a "session" usually with tobaco and mixed herbs.

For cannabis only, and for travel or most applications really I prefer the grasshopper but the IQ definitely has a spot in my rotation also

2. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

Interesting! $30 at GHL and $15 at DV for laser engravings...

3. btka

btka Well-Known Member

it seems like my ti gh is performing weaker then when I got it back from my last rma (10th february)...
    I also got new batteries with my rma... my other ss gh which was not as good performing as my ti is now performing better in my opinion then my ti gh... maybe it is subjective it is hard to tell... but in my opinion my ti worked better in the past...
    so what should I do... could it be the batteries (I bought 3 new 3 or 4 months ago) should I therefore buy new batteries...

or should I rma my ti gh altough it is working (but not as good as I received it after rma in feb.).. I do not want to send it in and then get told it is working and they did not do anything... also what should I tell gh why I want to rma,? should I tell them the performance is not as good as when I received it back from my last rma or that they should bump up the temps...?

did someone send their working gh to hopperlabs because of weaker performance and what did gh do... did they anything at all or did they send it back without doing anything... any experience...

maybe it is subjective as I stated before... it is really hard to tell but I think I got bigger clouds in the past

Hogni and MoltenTiger like this.
  4. freshly baked

freshly baked Well-Known Member

Just realized I no longer have a shut off timer. Timed it and gave up after 2 1/2 minutes. Hopefully its a new update and not just me. Haven't read anything about it that I can remember.

Vapor_Eyes and MoltenTiger like this.
  5. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

Re: the engraving
    If you can submit your own graphic design, why should font matter? Couldn't their scan just reproduce what you send, whether it be a design of a tree or the letter 'T'? I understand emojis and some other things may be protected images, but...

In the pre-digital '60's my dad had a Zippo lighter with his signature engraved on it; a promotional item that also had a company logo in bas relief on the reverse. Why could I not have my own signature on my Hopper? I don't sign papers with Arial font! Maybe I just don't understand the distinction.

MoltenTiger likes this.
  6. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

I'm in a similar position currently. I never managed to post my GH away (plain Ti has red then dead), so I'll do it on Monday - but, in the mean time my blue unit has started to show signs of imminent failure.

It's taking ages to heat up, it's super annoying. 13 seconds at T4.6 as I just timed it, and the hits it's giving are abnormal.
    It begins to produce the classic GH vapour (super dense) but almost as immediately as it comes, it begins to rapidly taper away. This results with a super tasty but whispier than expected cloud. Gees it tastes good, and with my current tolerance, it is doing great things and I'm super baked.

But, I'm a little dismayed as to what to do with it myself.

When I was working last week, I had to pick some stuff up from our lead engineers property, and whilst I was there he gave me an over my head run down on this new product he's developing, basically a controlling device for a 'smart' hot water cylinder.
    Now, this tech is actually pretty similar to what the GH is, a regulated circuit pumping energy at a controlled rate. Our board is doing heaps more as well, but at the heart of this motherboard was a glimpse at the intricacies that similarly lie within my favourite pen as well as this big A5 size control box.

I'm adequately sure that when the pen is fucked, it needs to go back to the labs.
    Mine are both fucked again, so they're going to need a tuning.

The board Chris was making has a whole section with another processor unit that is basically a backup to the main micro-controller - if that thing drops out of sequence, then the backup overrides the residual command sequence and then it re-calibrates and operates normally.
    The GH is possibly just reliant on being at a particular sequence that could be disrupted, and when that happens, it's basically game over until it's 'reset'. Without the hardware to do this, it'll need to be sent away to the hardware.

The issue with dropping performance, which I've experienced a few different times, usually is linked with longer heat up times. And damn does 13 seconds seem like a long time to wait to hit the bong lol
    I'm guessing that after a while of this the device is disrupted and normally I'd get a cop light response or a red then dead.
    Instant blue has been identified by HL as fixable by blasting compressed air into the device.
    I'm curious if IPA soaking, a GH with a long heat up, to the gills would cause it to heat up in a normal time frame... I'll probably try this but I'm not overly hopeful.

I know HL have said that long heat up times are a sure sign of a problem - so I think they should be capable of fixing this better than I could anyway.

I'm also curious, both our units spawned from a time before a revision to the front end was outlaid that was claimed to solve residue build up.

I'll probably send both mine back together, and make use of a bit of engraving for the hell of it.

I think I just bought a sublimator for 30AUD... so if that's the case, the exuberant expense of custom engraving is a little easier to swallow

This happened to me before my last RMA.
    I got into my high mind, rather correctly though, that pre-heating chambers was a mint idea.
    I clocked it at 10+ minutes (lol) and damn the cloud I got.

However, I ended up getting a straight to blue error.
    This is actually not problematic - it just needs cleaning (air compressor to the front end).

I sent it away, and it came back (with new front-end parts), worked perfectly for a few weeks and now it has a red then dead failure and is filed to be returned, and probably soon tattooed.

I would recommend avoiding leaving it on at any point. Click it on, wait for it to go blue, hit it, turn it off and keep toking.
    If you don't leave it on whilst it's not in use, it should be golden. That was a good device iteration, lasted me ages of heavy use (actually the longest hopper span I've had with a single unit)

Yeah, it's just how it's currently set up.
    If you read the reddit thread introducing it, it seems pretty whimsical.

A black and white jpeg with 600x200 real estate can house an amazing amount of detail.
    I actually tried to prep a signature pic earlier today, I found using a mouse pretty below par, but I can do a fairly convincing signature on a touchscreen, say a phone. Rasterizing that image digitally and rendering it within the pixel space to be engraved is simple enough, but complex enough that a default option of simple text in a simple font is necessary given the computers controlling the engraver, which won't read emojis or pay royalties to the Germans.

A jpeg can be anything, and is easily the better choice, or as I like to look at it; the only choice.
    And as I said before, I'm happy to help anyone pimp out their hopper, because if there's something I know about rasterizing, it's how to do it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  7. fcmember

fcmember Well-Known Member

It's those 'proprietary' GH batterys that also make me wish I'd never bought a GH and waited a whole year to get it. Have an order in now for the M with Dynavap and if I like it better I'll put my GH up for sale (which has never quite played nicely with me).

MoltenTiger likes this.
  8. Hogni

Today I went to "Verdampftnochmal" with my blue/red flickering hopper. They just took a look and changed it to a new model one immediately. There are only my old frontend and batt. Recommandation!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  9. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

Now that is how it's done!

Vapor_Eyes and MoltenTiger like this.
  10. Hogni

;) will review about performance. Currentely I'm testing first my new Herborizer Ti I've bought while changing the hopper. So delicious and cloudy!

grokit, Vapor_Eyes, Kermitt and 4 others like this.
  11. Kermitt

Kermitt Well-Known Member

@Hogni
    I bought the PFE TI yesterday at the same shop. The PFE arrived today. I use the Hopper only sometimes when I'm out. But the PFE is a nice upgrade, i couldn't not resist ;-)
    After my first impressions, the purchase was worth it. Now the GH may not look quite as smart, but it is more comfortable to use.
    The PFE is unfortunately also a bit more shiny than the TI body of my GH.

12. Icon13

Icon13 Serial Vapist

Yeah, it must be an update... LOL. :rolleyes:

It's probably not going to make any difference at all. That one is going to break down on you just like the last one. Hopper Labs gave me a brand new, revised unit at one point and it stopped working in 3 weeks just like the rest of them. Best of luck to you. I feel your pain.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  13. huk_huk

huk_huk Well-Known Member

I bought a drip tip (ecig mouthpiece) made of stainless steel and glass. It fits perfectly in the PFE and it solves the hot lip problem completly for me. Can cash a bowl in one run on max temp not necessary to let it cool down. Now it's easily my favorite vape to session with

grokit, Hogni, MoltenTiger and 2 others like this.
  14. freshly baked

freshly baked Well-Known Member

You got me thinking...

[​IMG]

Herbalizer mouth piece..

Thanks a lot! @huk_huk

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  15. huk_huk

huk_huk Well-Known Member

nice, some pics of mine:
    [​IMG]

dispatched and in a bubbler:
    http://imgur.com/a/e9v9M

It fits with the drip tip in my 14mm piece and the airflow seems to be the same.
    Unfortunately it doesn't fit in my 18mm->14mm adaptor but it's really easy to remove the drip tip

and I really like it dry at the moment :)

there are also drip tips without the red rubber on the glass side available. might look better. I also saw one with a heatsink but for my usage it's really hard to get my current drip tip hot

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Hjalmark, GreenHopper, grokit and 5 others like this.
  16. splitz

splitz Well-Known Member

2nd RMA for me but this time I didn't drop it in the bathtub!

Same issue as 4 months ago...sensor error / cop lights.

17. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes unfiltered

I sent my Ti back a month after receiving it due to declining performance. I had a perfectly functional SS to compare it to so it was easy to see the difference in performance. At first temp 5 extracted like temp 4 in the SS and it declined even further after that.

They sent it back and it was better but it still feels as if it never returned to its previous performance. I suspect they may have made some unannounced changes to the temp curve last fall. We know they did the same this spring and we only found out after a few combustion incidents. I think there was a "cooler" version of the firmware for a while and then it was later bumped up to be even warmer than the original firmware.

This is purely speculation but lowering the max temp may have been an attempt to increase reliability, and when this didn't make a difference it was changed again. Either way I'd like to try out this newly tuned firmware. Perhaps it is finally time to send in my SS with the temp dial that keeps getting stuck. It has recently started to show signs of inconsistent/decreasing performance.

One key thing I've noticed is that during the weak hits the mouthpiece doesn't get hot at all, and that's pretty much a signature characteristic of the Grasshopper. Also, it takes forever to extract, a fully functioning hopper can kill a bowl in one or two hits at temp 5, whereas an underperforming one will take six hits or more and the resulting ABV won't be as dark.

I've got relatively new batteries, the GHB2s with the thicker wrapping, and it doesn't seem related at all to the specific battery being used or charge level.

Hogni, grokit, GreenHopper and 4 others like this.
  18. fcmember

It's those weak 'proprietary' batteries that make me want to sell my GH. If/when the business goes belly-up, so do all GH's.

19. duff

duff Well worn

Same boat for me. I'm just living with it.

20. CEOnnor

CEOnnor Well-Known Member

Just wanted to share my experience so far.

I ordered a gray Ti in August of 2016 and received it around February of this year (Model GT0081XX). It blew my mind when I first got it, but performance slowly waned until the lights started instantly turning blue with no heat production at the end of June of this year. Made the warranty request and from the time I sent it, it took about 3 weeks to get back.

I'm really impressed with the replacement unit. At first the performance actually wasn't great, but I think the issue is the battery that I sent in with the unit. The other two batteries that I own have the it hitting like it was on day 1. I also noticed a couple differences with the unit.

The temperature dial has a different feel to it. It's a little more smooth but still very firm. I also can see the new screen upgrades to prevent material from passing into the unit. Below the screen there is a white material that looks somewhat cottony. The new backend I received is GT0115XX. It's pretty cool to see your device get upgrades after sending in.

I also purchased a Gray Ti PFE that I received back with unit. It rips and I haven't even been able to use it with a water pipe yet. I plan on it tonight, though.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  21. grokit

grokit well-worn member

I dunno there's knockoff batteries being made for pretty much everything these days. Imo the only reason we haven't already seen them for the hopper, is because hl has been selling them at a minimal markup.

:sherlock:

MoltenTiger and GreenHopper like this.
  22. fcmember

Yeah, I just wonder what we'd do if we couldn't buy a new battery?

23. Bomb33

Bomb33 Well-Known Member

I'm new to all this but so far with my gh experience it's Coming down to these sketchey batteries....... one works one doesn't charge wtf......other than that I'm having a good time with the gh. You mean to tell me no one has taken a look inside the battery or try to make a knock off yet.??

24. grokit

grokit well-worn member

If hl was selling them for $20 a pop then there would be knockoffs.

But they're selling them for $7 so there's no profit incentive to knock them off.

:tup:

btka, GreenHopper and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  25. Bomb33

Bomb33 Well-Known Member

What about reliable and longer lasting????? That should make it a target to knock em off and make profit by selling better batteries.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors