1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Hotelone

Hotelone New Member

My Ti is GT0093XX and bought in April of this year so if they're running sequentially they've sold quite a few in the last year.

GreenHopper and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  2. slcbdco

slcbdco Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

They're not sequential by design. They have sold quite a few though

JCat, Hjalmark and btka like this.
  3. Hoey420

Hoey420 Well-Known Member

The other day i decided to use my vapvap M at break at work that i keep as back up in my locker along with a can of butane anyway the fuken lighter shat itself, i need an indestructible lighter then.the hopper saved me that day :)

Vapor_Eyes, JCat, GreenHopper and 5 others like this.
  4. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

So, after slow but continuous performance decline my GH is now showing fast red-blue flickering after some secs of red lightened upheating.
    Seems to be a sensor damage?
    Absolutely dead or a chance for reanimation?
    Gave it a careful rescue iso wash before. Stand straight, iso just below the air intakes/leds.
    Let it dry for around 18 h before starting again.
    Could it be that solved reclaim dried at the sensor?

Damage history (around 10 bowls a week):

Bought end of dec '16
    After 2-time-use GH charger was down
    After 2 months damaged thread of the mp
    After 6 months notable performance decline
    After 6-7 months hopper is down

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  5. grokit

grokit well-worn member

@Hogni so you think your sensor is somehow soiled or blocked with reclaim?

Hjalmark likes this.
  6. Hogni

That's my apprehension. But the blue/red flickering started first directely after the iso wash (really careful) so I guess it could caused by the iso wash or solved of softened reclaim which dried at the sensor after cleaning. Or it's just coincidence.
    Any advice?

Hjalmark, Vapor_Eyes and JCat like this.
  7. disGRUNTled

disGRUNTled Well-Known Member

Purple Elephant in the Hopper & GMC......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Click to play YouTube Video

Click to play YouTube Video

btka, Hjalmark, Vapor_Eyes and 4 others like this.
  8. Mr. Gweilo 420

Mr. Gweilo 420 Dude

Well my piece of shit Ti Grasshopper went to the next level last night. Combustion city. Geez I hate this thing and Hopper Labs. Ive had one international RMA which cost me over $60. Current issues include loose front end (my fault apparently but fixed with a PFE at my cost), rarely charges, rarely turns on and now combusts. Rock and roll.

9. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

Damn man, that sucks. Sorry to hear you are having mode troubles.

You get a 'Like' for solidarity.

I'd put the GH in a draw and wait to RMA it when their QA improves.

10. david8613

david8613 Active Member

Currently running davinci iq a conduction vape, want a convection, I want to get a grasshopper but these problems scare me. I'm from new Jersey usa, what's the turn around time for warranty repair if something happens?

Hjalmark likes this.
  11. grokit

grokit well-worn member

Sorry I'm just trying to learn a bit myself, I'm not even aware of the temperature sensor's location.
    But from your earlier post I'm supposing it's near the air intake, which seems weird to me.

:shrug:

Hogni and Hjalmark like this.
  12. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

First class mail to return it is under $3.00, plus cost of a 5X7 bubble envelope. Travel time is 2 to 4 days each way. Each of my RMA's have been less than 2 weeks out & back.
    If you have a backup vape and patience, it's do-able!

13. snaffle

snaffle Member

It could be the iso, maybe, if it wasn't fully evaporated when you turned it on. 18 hours sounds like plenty to me, but maybe the heater's geometry makes it hard for iso to exit? Just guessing... As you say, it could be coincidence.

Cool, I always enjoy your posts her disGRUNTled, nice to see happy hopper use :)

So sorry to hear that dude. I can't believe your RMA cost so much, that sucks. I disagree with @GreenHopper about waiting 'til their QA improves; if it's combusting it's seriously fucked and you should get it replaced. Because a working hopper is a great thing.

I'm pretty sure the sensor is by the heater, which is next to the air intake, yes, just below the chamber you load.

I'll be getting a few vapcaps soon, it'll be interesting to see how they compare to my hopper. As I understand it there is some conduction as well as convection with them, so maybe it'll be different. I am very happy with my hopper as my primary vape at the moment, I wonder how it'll compare. I partly got the vapcaps because of concerns about hopper reliability (though mine has been solid since I got it), and partly so I can give everyone who visits their own (cheaper!) vape to use, as @slcbdco suggested.

grokit, MoltenTiger, slcbdco and 4 others like this.
  14. Hogni

VC are perfect backups for GH! Fool proofed but need a little experience to handle the high draw resistance. The only drawback of the VC in function - if you should have a Pipe's Induction heater.
    ATM I'm very happy to have some...

15. GreenHopper

Yes a working GrassHopper is a great thing but at $60 per shipment the risk of having to do multiple RMA's is too high. Like @Hogni I have several other vapes like the VapCap so as great as the Hopper can be it's not the be all and end all for me either. I suspect
    @Mr. Gweilo 420 has a few other vapes in the collection :shrug:

If it costs $60 to send in for RMA then you don't want to be having to ship any more than you have to. The last thing you want is to receive a DOA after the RMA or a unit that's still partially defective. But that's exactly what certain users have been experiencing, some folk are in the double digits for RMA's, several of which have been back to back returns. Not great but considerably worse if you are international and incur crazy shipping costs on top!

I'd stash in a draw until HL can sort out their RMA quality, alternatively you can have another spin on the 'RMA Wheel Of Misfortune'.

I also wouldn't send in my Hopper for RMA without taking pictures of it from all angles as HL's have been scaring up a load of users Hoppers whilst carrying out the RMA process and not taking responsibility for it. That's not acceptable in my view.

P.S. @Hogni I just received my Portside 10 mins ago, batteries loaded and charging as we speak :D

16. DrHermman

DrHermman Well-Known Member

Hi guys!

It's been a couple months since my last post here... and obviously, a couple of weeks after writing this...
    It happened... My GH just stayed red whenever I clicked it on... (call that Murphy's law, Hopper's law, Karma or whatever you like :rofl:)

So I opened immediately another RMA (my third in a year) and I got to say that it was the fastest one yet:
    One week to get to CO from Spain, another week there getting fixed, and one week back home!
    The shipping was 9€, they changed the body, and I asked them to send 3 new GHB2s.
    In the meanwhile I used my VCs, so I didn't really missed the hopper.
    Overall I am really happy with the process.

The Hopper with the new batts kicks ass, and I might have noticed a small temp rise, as other users have already informed (it doesn't really bother me).

So my personal suggestions to any GH owner are:

- Do NOT wait to RMA, if you feel like it is not performing, just send it back! I delayed my first RMA for more than a month (i am a fucking procrastinator) and I ended up regreting it when it came back functioning like new.

- Go and get some new batteries! NOW!

- and last but not least... ALWAYS have a trusty backup!!

(I know some other people have had issues with their RMAs... And I feel very sorry for you guys, I really hope that these type of problems are getting tackled. Please take my advices as part of my personal experiences, nothing more.)

Sadly the last couple of weeks I haven't been able to use it as much as I'd like due to personal and professional issues, but it still works like a champ.
    I hope I could use it more often, but if things keep like this maybe I'll be thinking of sending it to another home were it sees more use... But that's another story for another post ;)

Hope you all well!
    Peace!

17. GreenHopper

Just to be clear my advice is specific to @Mr. Gweilo 420 as his shipping costs are so high at $60.

Ordinarily I'd recommend getting the RMA done.

18. fcmember

fcmember Well-Known Member

Just the opposite may be true...the GH being a backup for the VC...since the VC has the better reputation.

And if I had to pay $60 just to send a GH in for another repair, I'd be asking for a full refund.

Squiby, Hogni and GreenHopper like this.
  19. Hogni

@GreenHopper

Bats already charged? Enjoy your PS - you'll love it or already loving it?
    Tomorrow I'll go with my hopper to Verdampftnochmal. Dont think they can do something for me at once but using the opportunity finally to buy my Herborizer Ti :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  20. GreenHopper

Yes the batts are :)

But not tried it yet though as I should really go for a run first...I mean I guess I could skip this run :\....no, no I gotta keep with the programme.

I hear great things about the Herb-Ti.

Enjoy my friend.

To everyone else, I used my Hopper over the weekend again when staying at a hotel in London. It was great and performed admirably. The only time it nearly all went wrong was when I felt the need to throw the GH at the dickhead bouncing a basketball down the street at 2am.

I didn't though, turns out I value my GH more than my sleep....now that should tell you how much I like my GH.

21. Mr Mellish

Mr Mellish Well-Known Member

I have a VC M but haven’t had time to slog through their thread. So far, I can’t get anything useful out of it, so GH wins. Never failed.

ooo, Hogni, slcbdco and 2 others like this.
  22. snaffle

snaffle Member

There is a best of thread for the vapcap, might be worth giving that a read. But yeah, I do like how idiotproof the GH is ;)

slcbdco, Mr Mellish and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  23. david8613

david8613 Active Member

Anyone have the grasshopper and the davinci iq? Can you tell me your thoughts on the 2 units? I currently own an iq and its great, smooth, cool, flavorful vapor. Im thinking about picking up a grasshopper for the convection.

24. GreenHopper

grokit, Vapor_Eyes and MoltenTiger like this.
  25. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

Hey that's pretty cool. I'm half tempted by this. Seems there's decent resolution to play with for a design too; 600x200 .jpg's

Arial is the poor mans helvetica though..

If anyone here is interested in going the custom design route, I'd be happy to produce an image file to a design spec. I might have a play around with some ideas of my own. I'm thinking plain text is lame, a central logo or a themed text to a user name or something is much more appealing. Then there's the option of abstract patterns. It'd look best in a vertical format too

here's a quick one, just the logo
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Kermitt, Baron23, Mr. Me2 and 7 others like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors