Discontinued The Grasshopper

Radiocitysuicide

that's what i was guessing by the price. The ones priced to move are $150ish... wouldn't be surprised if you don't have offers in your inbox already though.

Yea I know the market can change quickly but I paid like 230 dollars a few months ago so if it doesn't sell and I hold onto it no biggie.

Radiocitysuicide,

WoodyWeedPecker

Sounds like it may be up your alley then, for me it tasted incredible but it produced the most anemic clouds i've ever experienced
I'm usually not a cloud chaser. Even if from time to time, I go for large hits. I usually prefer multiple dense hits instead. I'm still with the mflb mentality that vapor exhaled is vapor wasted. But even when you prefer smaller draws, it's much better to have a vaporizer producing thick dense vapor. It gives you more control over your vaping session. You simply vary your draw time (longer draws for thicker hits). That's what I like with the GH and desktop like E-Nano, LSV, etc. It's on demand, full temp spectrum and the vapor is dense, giving you the perfect control over your vaping sessions. Mixing smaller and larger hits depending on the effect you're looking for.

WoodyWeedPecker,
Reactions: biohacker

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
The fact that basically all your vapes have failed is odd. Not sure if you abuse them or are just unlucky but I don't consider it the norm.

You don't throw all your vapes against the wall? I thought you're supposed to do that but ya know i'm just an idiot ...

All kidding aside, my whole point which perhaps was missed in the concern for the welfare of my vapes is that many vapes have QC issues, including products from more established companies. If folks don't like a vape send it back, if you want something that will never brake, roll a joint, otherwise, folks on this thread, and the firefly 2, IQ, Crafty, etc could stand a little perspective and I also suspect separating actually just not liking a product from condemning a product because it's not to YOUR liking.

Also if you check the IQ thread, you'll see the cracked bowl is very common, I actually noticed mine after checking seeing so many reports of it, I bet when i ran over it in my car had nothing to do with it, now excuse me, I need to get my grasshopper out of the microwave so I can flip it, hopefully my pax is done in the washing machine by now ....

Baron23

If folks don't like a vape send it back, if you want something that will never brake, roll a joint, otherwise, folks on this thread, and the firefly 2, IQ, Crafty, etc could stand a little perspective

Sorry, but I think you are just making excuses for companies with poor reliability engineering and QA (to include subcontractor management) because they are vape companies. I suspect many, if not including you, would not tolerate the failure rate seen by some vapes in any other household appliance.

Nobody ever said "will never break". You set up your own straw-man just to knock it down.

But, for example, the GH's continuing quality issues should not, IMO, be excused or tolerated. I own a GH. I love my GH. I don't at all like the continuing product issues we are seeing...in many cases as DOA or infant mortality very soon after shipment. Hopper says that they have their failure rate down to 5% or less. Anybody who knows anything at all about reliability engineering would know this is a completely meaningless metric. If they want to give us mean time between failures, that means something. If they want to give us the failures in some set period like FIT (failures in time) rate, that's meaningful. But these guys were (they say) aerospace engineers and they absolutely know that any reliability figure needs at least a time period. Now, I can't see them having access to population's usage hours to calculate MTBF or FIT. But the figure they came out with is pure marketing spin.

Well, I guess we just see this differently....but no, I don't think my perspective on this issue needs any adjusting. Cheers

Last edited:

JoeMama

Sorry, but I think you are just making excuses for companies with poor reliability engineering and QA (to include subcontractor management) because they are vape companies. I suspect many, if not including you, would not tolerate the failure rate seen by some vapes in any other household appliance.

Nobody ever said "will never break". You set up your own straw-man just to knock it down.

But, for example, the GH's continuing quality issues should not, IMO, be excused or tolerated. I own a GH. I love my GH. I don't at all like the continuing product issues we are seeing...in many cases as DOA or infant mortality very soon after shipment. Hopper says that they have their failure rate down to 5% or less. Anybody who knows anything at all about reliability engineering would know this is a completely meaningless metric. If they want to give us mean time between failures, that means something. If they want to give us the failures in some set period like FIT (failures in time) rate, that's meaningful. But these guys were (they say) aerospace engineers and they absolutely know that any reliability figure needs at least a time period. Now, I can't see them having access to population's usage hours to calculate MTBF or FIT. But the figure they came out with is pure marketing spin.

Well, I guess we just see this differently....but no, I don't think my perspective on this issue needs any adjusting. Cheers

Well said, Baron. I dislike the sense that GHL speaks about their engineering marvel to be beyond the comprehension of us dope-heads by providing meaningless info about themselves and not the product itself.

If that sounds a bit like I'm talking about a certain someone who's been in the news for the past year (and will be forfuckingever), apologies; I'm fed up with useless information.

biohacker

That must be some good herb I don't think I can get clouds like that one after another. Quite insane!

I would say mid-grade or less. It was a fairly medium to fine grind, and I think i've got the technique down now.

Thanks for the comment....sometimes things get a little nuts in threads and a nice milk vid always puts things in perspective!

Radiocitysuicide

You don't throw all your vapes against the wall? I thought you're supposed to do that but ya know i'm just an idiot ...

All kidding aside, my whole point which perhaps was missed in the concern for the welfare of my vapes is that many vapes have QC issues, including products from more established companies. If folks don't like a vape send it back, if you want something that will never brake, roll a joint, otherwise, folks on this thread, and the firefly 2, IQ, Crafty, etc could stand a little perspective and I also suspect separating actually just not liking a product from condemning a product because it's not to YOUR liking.

Also if you check the IQ thread, you'll see the cracked bowl is very common, I actually noticed mine after checking seeing so many reports of it, I bet when i ran over it in my car had nothing to do with it, now excuse me, I need to get my grasshopper out of the microwave so I can flip it, hopefully my pax is done in the washing machine by now ....

I think you are the one missing the point. Nobody is saying that other vapes never fail or never have quality control issues. The point is that the rate at which Grasshoppers currently fail should not be considered acceptable for any product. I'm not saying I want a product that has no chance of failing. I'm saying that a product that is almost guaranteed to fail and continue to do so should not be considered acceptable. The Grasshopper isn't a brand new product anymore, it's been shipping for a while. We aren't talking about a bad batch or something like that. You keep comparing the Grasshopper to other vapes but if you can't see that the rate at which it's failing is unique then I don't know what to tell you.

slcbdco

I think you are the one missing the point. Nobody is saying that other vapes never fail or never have quality control issues. The point is that the rate at which Grasshoppers currently fail should not be considered acceptable for any product. I'm not saying I want a product that has no chance of failing. I'm saying that a product that is almost guaranteed to fail and continue to do so should not be considered acceptable. The Grasshopper isn't a brand new product anymore, it's been shipping for a while. We aren't talking about a bad batch or something like that. You keep comparing the Grasshopper to other vapes but if you can't see that the rate at which it's failing is unique then I don't know what to tell you.

Would it make you feel better if said GHL are a bunch of jerks? Fine I said it, it's not true, and it still remains that they have created a device that in MY opinion is superior in performance to IQ, pax2, Firefly2 all of which I own, enjoy and use though not nearly as much as a grasshopper, my grasshopper has been AS reliable as the other VC backed vapes which is to say all have had an RMA worthy issue, the IQ on day 2 btw.

So i'll send it back and get a new one, doesn't mean Davinci is a bunch of jerks, it means something happened with a NEW product, such is life on the cutting edge.

If you can't see that building a product that is in my opinion the best but, objectively competitive on a shoe string budget, growing orgnically, competing against VC backed companies on their second or third unit release isn't impressive, then I don't know what to tell you!

Now let me go get that crafty out of the stove :horse:

slcbdco,
Reactions: sag

Radiocitysuicide

Why would it make me feel better if you said GHL are a bunch of jerks? I haven't been bashing hopper labs as a company and I don't have any personal vendetta against them. I've been talking about issues with their product. Don't make childish accusations like that.
If anything I praised them for allowing me to transfer my warranty. Something I do find sketchy however is how they continue to straight up lie about shipping times, but I'm sure you think that's great too.

The difference between your Grasshopper and your other devices is that your Grasshopper will continue to fail with no end in sight. You seem perfectly happy to keep sending it in for repairs but I don't think most people will find that acceptable...and it's a good thing too because if that's the type of quality control we expected from companies then it would happen a lot more often.

The Grasshopper has a lot of redeeming qualities and has potential but that doesn't mean you can't acknowledge the issues with it. I'm not sure why you refuse to do so and it seems like you are being purposely dense.

And yea you are definitely beating a dead horse with those jokes about your vapes...it was kinda funny the first time.

biohacker

Yep, I think maybe .1g and the ABV was all a glorious medium dark brown! I need to take a huge breathe in order to get the air out for a hit that huge. I swear my lung capacity is so massive not only from athletics, but also from vaporizing! I think from now on i'll start splitting those hits into a few, although whenever I "shotgun" like in the vid, I get super medicated!

chris 71

ok so mine just got here a while ago . seems to be something messed up right outta the box . cant tell if its the usb charger cable or what . the blinking was steady every three seconds for a bit , but after i picked it up turned it on and played with it a bit the blinking is now sporadic , and even not at all . unless i move it around and play with cable and pen am i missing something here ?

biohacker

Dude, you're missing a bunch of posts in the last several pages. Your Toronto Hemp Company GH sounds like the two I sent back and am dealing with. These have v2 chargers and GHB2 batteries and are fresh stock I think. Lots of talk about blue light flickering lately....try some of the techniques, otherwise if it bothers you RMA. However I have a strong feeling you will have the same issue after you get it back. Apparently it's normal?

slcbdco

:horse::horse::horse:
The difference between your Grasshopper and your other devices is that your Grasshopper will continue to fail with no end in sight. You seem perfectly happy to keep sending it in for repairs but I don't think most people will find that acceptable...and it's a good thing too because if that's the type of quality control we expected from companies then it would happen a lot more often.

:horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:

No the difference is I've only sent it in for repairs AS MUCH as my other vapes. I didn't say the were perfect I didn't say the didn't break, I said they break as much as other vapes in my experience and when it's not broken which for the grasshopper AND other vapes (when i'm not cooking them in my stew) is Almost all the time.

I am aware other people have worse experiences than I have with the grasshopper and other vapes, for example folks are always talking about being on the 8th crafty or whatever. And like the crafty, pax2, firefly OG (so far the Firefly 2 is the only vape that has never broke, of course since I don't use it much, it's sorta like who cares), folks that like a vape return and get it fixed, those that don't stop. Grasshopper is not more failure prone in my experience, in fact less compared to say the OG firefly, and still my favorite vape, by a significant margin.

Can we just leave at I'm a fanboy for grasshopper like everyone knows and I'm always going to point out that btw still best vape, still crowd sourced, still a startup and still crushing the competition when not merely coming in as a tie against better capitalized, and more estabaliahed company.

The key being they have the best vape! Not like i haven't been trying others and buying them and enjoying them, Grasshopper is just simply better so grab your hopper if you have one and :smug:.

unless of course it's broken, in which case get your arizer out of the microwave, it's probably ready now anyway

chris 71

Dude, you're missing a bunch of posts in the last several pages. Your Toronto Hemp Company GH sounds like the two I sent back and am dealing with. These have v2 chargers and GHB2 batteries and are fresh stock I think. Lots of talk about blue light flickering lately....try some of the techniques, otherwise if it bothers you RMA. However I have a strong feeling you will have the same issue after you get it back. Apparently it's normal?

ok but is it charging if there are no flashing lights at all ?

chris 71,

Radiocitysuicide

Not nearly the same thing vapviking but nice try.

:horse::horse::horse:

:horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:

No the difference is I've only sent it in for repairs AS MUCH as my other vapes. I didn't say the were perfect I didn't say the didn't break, I said they break as much as other vapes in my experience and when it's not broken which for the grasshopper AND other vapes (when i'm not cooking them in my stew) is Almost all the time.

I am aware other people have worse experiences than I have with the grasshopper and other vapes, for example folks are always talking about being on the 8th crafty or whatever. And like the crafty, pax2, firefly OG (so far the Firefly 2 is the only vape that has never broke, of course since I don't use it much, it's sorta like who cares), folks that like a vape return and get it fixed, those that don't stop. Grasshopper is not more failure prone in my experience, in fact less compared to say the OG firefly, and still my favorite vape, by a significant margin.

Can we just leave at I'm a fanboy for grasshopper like everyone knows and I'm always going to point out that btw still best vape, still crowd sourced, still a startup and still crushing the competition when not merely coming in as a tie against better capitalized, and more estabaliahed company.

The key being they have the best vape! Not like i haven't been trying others and buying them and enjoying them, Grasshopper is just simply better so grab your hopper if you have one and :smug:.

unless of course it's broken, in which case get your arizer out of the microwave, it's probably ready now anyway

At least you recognize you are a fanboy, I'll never understand that mentality.

And you really should take better care of your vapes. /s

Radiocitysuicide,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I don't know if I'm a fanboy, but I have a considerable investment in the hoppers. I own 2 of them and a large amount of accessories and infrastructure specifically for them. I'm not blind to their shortcomings. One of them is on its way back from a non-productive warranty claim check-up at Hopper Labs as we speak. (Intermittent failures they could not replicate.)

I look at it this way [WARNING!! DANGER!!! Automotive analogy imminent!!!! Don protective gear and prepare to engage emergency protocols!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't say you weren't warned]:

There are cars designed to reliably get you where you want to go with a minimum of fuss. Like a Toyota, say. Then there are vehicles designed and built for those who love high performance driving and tinkering with their vehicles to maximize that performance. As I understand it, there is a certain pleasure in the routines of maintenance and tinkering to get those high performance vehicles running at their peak. That's a different relationship than Toyota drivers have with their cars and that's how I am with my hoppers.

My Vapor Brothers desktop is my Toyota pickup. My Focus Pro is my Camry. No muss, no fuss. They get me where I want to go - birdland - without having to pay any particular attention to them.

My hoppers are my McLaren F1 supercars. When they are working at peak performance there is nothing like them on the road. But they require "a lot " of attention (relative to my other vapes) in terms of care. And they spend more time in the shop. Just like a British sports car. (Having said that, I had to get through two defective Focus vapes before I got my reliable one.)

At this point in my life I am fortunate enough to be able to spend time and money on these vaping supercars. And because my physical condition leaves me unable to do much else, I have some fun maintaining and babying my supercars, which I enjoy doing. I've got 2 (like I said, I'm very lucky), so if one is in the shop (like now), I carry on with the other. If both end up in the shop, I'll be fine tooling around in my Toyotas.

Rich guys with supercars can also afford the on-call engineers to keep them running. I've got you "guys" (not assuming genders) and the Hopper labs' lifetime warranty.

As for the "hoppers should be as reliable as other appliances" notion: We're now at the point where appliance salespeople push their warranty plans because the appliances are now so complicated and made with so much focus on the bottom line that they are almost guaranteed to break. Yes, I want the hoppers to be more reliable and I want HL to live long and prosper. I hope they do so by eventually being more reliable than other appliances; not aiming for the same low bar.

Well, that was exhausting. I gotta go rest.

Top Bottom