Discontinued The Grasshopper

ZC

These batteries,
in this device, are basically subjected to battery hell every time the thing is turned on; the demand for fast/high temp is not easy to supply.

Yeah, I dunno. I have a feeling the hopper is pushing them past their limits, they shouldn't degrade this much this quickly. In comparison, all of my 18650 batteries have gotten at least 20x more use pulling 10A+ and they all still work well and I can get several bowls out of them. I cannot stress enough how little I use my hopper, and yet all 3 batteries are useless.

There's no battery as small as the hopper's that can provide the 10-15A the hopper needs. I know HL gets these custom made but if there aren't any on the market that meet these specs, there's a reason for it. And with the poor performance I just find it hard to believe that the Hopper isn't pushing these things past where they should be at the expense of battery longevity.

I probably will order more batteries but I see myself using the hopper even less than I do because I don't want to be buying these every few months when no other vape I own requires that.

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Yeah, I dunno. I have a feeling the hopper is pushing them past their limits, they shouldn't degrade this much this quickly. In comparison, all of my 18650 batteries have gotten at least 20x more use pulling 10A+ and they all still work well and I can get several bowls out of them. I cannot stress enough how little I use my hopper, and yet all 3 batteries are useless.

There's no battery as small as the hopper's that can provide the 10-15A the hopper needs. I know HL gets these custom made but if there aren't any on the market that meet these specs, there's a reason for it. And with the poor performance I just find it hard to believe that the Hopper isn't pushing these things past where they should be at the expense of battery longevity.

I probably will order more batteries but I see myself using the hopper even less than I do because I don't want to be buying these every few months when no other vape I own requires that.

Are you using the GHB2? They are much stronger in my experience so far. I now go days without having to change a battery (under my normal usage which includes throwing it on the charger when in the car etc.). With the old batteries I always needed to swap out once if not twice a day. Of course my old batteries may have also been degraded but the 2 seems a lot better.

biohacker

With very light use over the last 6 months, all 3 of my GH batteries are useless. Can't get through a single bowl, even with 2 batteries!

Not sure if I want to even bother buying new ones if they're going to degrade so much with so little use.

I'm frustrated with this thing. I like it enough to not want to get rid of it but the battery problems make it hard to enjoy.

The GH1 batteries do seem to be shit but I haven't bothered to order the 2 yet.

I cannot stress enough how little I use my hopper, and yet all 3 batteries are useless.

I use the shit out of both of my hoppers, with 8 batteries between the two (all GHB1 except for 1 GHB2), and they have been used by two previous owners.

I notice zero battery performance decrease (yet).... and notice no difference between the GHB1 and GHB2.

I wonder if some people just use their devices differently, or I just haven't used my batteries with enough cycles (even though it's been ALOT). Reminds me of the Mighty thread where people were complaining about the plastic pieces breaking and casings coming apart. Never ever had an issue with that either.

I really thought i'd bitch about the batteries.....but I actually love them!

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Having my Hopper for three weeks now and I noticed a decrease of performance. Using Blu-Tack for cleaning the threads now it creates vapor like hell again! BT seems to be a reasonable investment.

Not lucky about performance of the batteries (GHB2). Only have one bat!! Batteries for replacement were (and still are) out of stock at my vape shop.
Its so frustrating vaping one and a half bowl until bat isn't working anymore :ugh:
Having no replacement bats sucks! No-Go!!

guyonthecouch

With very light use over the last 6 months, all 3 of my GH batteries are useless. Can't get through a single bowl, even with 2 batteries!

Not sure if I want to even bother buying new ones if they're going to degrade so much with so little use.

I'm frustrated with this thing. I like it enough to not want to get rid of it but the battery problems make it hard to enjoy.
I use the shit out of both of my hoppers, with 8 batteries between the two (all GHB1 except for 1 GHB2), and they have been used by two previous owners.

I notice zero battery performance decrease (yet).... and notice no difference between the GHB1 and GHB2.

I wonder if some people just use their devices differently, or I just haven't used my batteries with enough cycles (even though it's been ALOT). Reminds me of the Mighty thread where people were complaining about the plastic pieces breaking and casings coming apart. Never ever had an issue with that either.

I really thought i'd bitch about the batteries.....but I actually love them!

This is giving me the impression that GH batts like to be used and charged as often as possible(pretty sure standard for all li-ion batts). I'm guessing they don't like to sit around for too long either, so if you're not using your Hopper on a consistent basis and want to keep your batts on max juice capabilities you should consider dry cycling(use/charge) them every so often.

Last edited:

Pablo13

for anyone with the um20 nitecore, what percentage does it usually say when you throw your discharged batteries on it?

I get around 65-75% when swapping after two bowls. If I drain them all the way then around 60%. I usually wait till there cooled until I stick them on charge, but the other day I stuck a hot one in while the other side was charging. It read 56% but went back up to 59% as it cooled down and before the other battery had finished charging. GHB2 for ref.

biohacker

Haven't seen this on the HL website before:

https://www.grasshoppervape.com/store/product/glass-cleaning-vial/

Is 24 hours really even necessary? Maybe I live on the edge or something, but I soak for 5 minutes, then a hot water rinse, paper towel dry, some quick blows of air through it and done.

HL should also change the estimated delivery of Dec 2016 for the leather sleeves!

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Honey moon is over, cops lights and hopper is dead.

ISO cleaned, thread cleaned with tack and iso but still cop lights and I been using it dry the last week, even very little this weekend, then I used it hunch today and night until I was heading for bed and wanted first bong in days it stopped working

E-Nano is up and ready again :)

Warranty time

ChooChooCharlie

I made a simple docking station for my hopper:

http://imgur.com/a/hqj0b

All you need is a hopper charger v2, a piece of wood, a 6mm/14mm drill and a sharp knife. The charger ring should stand out a bit, so the hopper can be tilted forwards. I stuck the docking station to my desk with some Blu Tack, so it won't wobble when docking the hopper. A bigger one that I also made doesn't need to be stuck on the desk, but I prefer the smaller one.

I used an external charger before but I was really annoyed of switching batteries all the time. Now I just dock my hopper after each bowl, so it's always fully charged and ready for take-off. It feels really awesome how the hopper connects to the station.

@Ratchett Maybe you can make a nice docking station based on this.

Btw, I absolutely love my hopper. It hits so damn hard...

WBkiWhE.jpg

For people like me who like using the stock charger.

As the hopper owner base increases, I sense a demand.

Nice weighty milled aluminum would be cool. Too expensive, maybe.
Maybe weights encased in a sandwiched, resin printed form.

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Ah man, so sorry to hear that! My heart sank reading your post as if it was my own baby (GH)! Hopefully it's just a straight forward RMA for you.... are cop lights a bad body or back end?

Thanks! Only sad actually about it only being month but I had a feeling from the start mine was weirdly hot in places randomly but no idea what part of the hopper is to blame

But I am just glad the enano is still kicking my ass after hopper dream boat month

biohacker

The E-Nano is a good desktop compliment to the GH.... very effective thick milky hits on such little material, just like the GH! And the other thing I loved about the E-Nano, I think it was one of my only other vapes that I could hear the flowers "snap! crackle! pop!" as they melted. Hmmmm, I think I need to buy a nano again!

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Honey moon is over, cops lights and hopper is dead.

ISO cleaned, thread cleaned with tack and iso but still cop lights and I been using it dry the last week, even very little this weekend, then I used it hunch today and night until I was heading for bed and wanted first bong in days it stopped working

E-Nano is up and ready again :)

Warranty time
Wow this sucks! We know you were so anxious to get one.
But for many of us, this is simply phase two of the relationship.
Curious, had you recently cleaned inside chamber with any iso?

JoeMama

Well, I got my grey Ti back, "nothing wrong with it", apparently. I still feel it lacks the punch it used to have, and now I've just sent back the raw Ti and hope they'll give it a new backend. Se la vie. I may just splurge and get a Firewood 4. I've been in the house all day, and at one point I remember looking at my Hopper sitting on the table and thinking how much I don't like that it occupies my mental space with concern for how it literally affects my mood depending on how its working.
... or is this just a symptom of VAS?

This blue-tack stuff.... is this it?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/elmer-s-tac-n-stik-1424135p.html

And where can one find the deoxit pen?

For people like me who like using the stock charger.

As the hopper owner base increases, I sense a demand.

Nice weighty milled aluminum would be cool. Too expensive, maybe.
Maybe weights encased in a sandwiched, resin printed form.

This is Blue Tac, here... I think I remember someone posting a long time ago that they tried something "similar" but reported that later that it wasn't as good as Blue.
https://www.amazon.com/Blu-Tack-060968-Reusable-Adhesive-75g/dp/B001FGLX72

And here is Detoxit
https://www.amazon.com/DeoxIT-Pen-N...TF8&qid=1484448332&sr=1-1&keywords=deoxit+pen

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Wow this sucks! We know you were so anxious to get one.
But for many of us, this is simply phase two of the relationship.
Curious, had you recently cleaned inside chamber with any iso?

Never cleaned the bowl chamber insides, just threads with iso and dropped mouthpiece into it but made sure to dry everything out completely, had no problems expect hot back end but thought that was normal but had like crazy heat spikes 2-3 right after turning on but last days it been super well behaved

Sucks that it happened day before a day hike ... Reason I bought the hopper :\

Last edited:

Bass Vaper

Does anyone have a picture of what these special tweezers that are needed to fix the gap between the body and mouthpiece look like? And where can you find them?

Thx

biohacker

They are precision needle nose tweezers. If you just search "tweezers" in this thread you will find everything you are looking for. The gap is caused by the loose front end screen. If you have a needle or a sharp pokey tool (LSV tool works great), it can spun down carefully. All talked about recently.

This is why I made the post about HL including tweezers in the kits if screens are going to get loose, especially brand new out of the box in my case.

Bass Vaper

Thx bio.

Agreed on including ANY additional tools that are needed for regular maintenance. It's pretty bunk to buy something new, and out of the box you need to buy additional things to make the new thing you just bought seem like new. Going to a company with an issue (before the device is even used) & to be told "oh sorry, our negligence, just go buy this extra thing and fix it yourself" is Grade A Weak. Typical Hopper Labs behavior.

Regardless of how cheap the tweezers are and how little the fix is.

guyonthecouch

Thx bio.

Agreed on including ANY additional tools that are needed for regular maintenance. It's pretty bunk to buy something new, and out of the box you need to buy additional things to make the new thing you just bought seem like new. Going to a company with an issue (before the device is even used) & to be told "oh sorry, our negligence, just go buy this extra thing and fix it yourself" is Grade A Weak. Typical Hopper Labs behavior.

Regardless of how cheap the tweezers are and how little the fix is.
Did you email hopper and ask them to include a pair of tweezers and this is the answer you got? ..typical Hopper Labs behaviour? Their warranty system is the best out of any vape manufacturer i've encountered. I noticed you've had a tough run in with faulty parts but now you're just fabricating stories/info. The screen is threaded so you just need to turn it with something. Two safety pins should do the trick.

Last edited:
guyonthecouch,
Reactions: Vapor_Eyes
Top Bottom