The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermitt

OMG, I pre-ordered in Europe. Oktober, can this be true? I do not like waiting for so long :-)
NamasteVapes Germany wrote me today, they hope the FF2 comes in June, but noone can say this for sure.

Kermitt,

Dringus

OMG, I pre-ordered in Europe. Oktober, can this be true? I do not like waiting for so long :-)
NamasteVapes Germany wrote me today, they hope the FF2 comes in June, but noone can say this for sure.

I was told by someone at Namaste UK that we will have a definitive answer regarding the fate of FF2 shipments to the UK and Europe by next Friday (June 3). There is still a possibility that those of us who preordered from them will still receive our preorders in June even though everyone who hasn't preordered will almost definitely have to wait until October at the earliest.

I'm wondering if it would be better to have a FF2 sent to one of my friends in the USA (from a USA retailer) and then have him send it to me here in the UK. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I would absolutely be willing to pay extra for duty tax or whatever charges might incur. Also, is it safe to do this (should I be worried about customs)?

As always, any input in this matter would be very appreciated. I'm still combusting and have patiently been waiting for FF2's arrival so you can imagine my feelings when I heard the news of a likely delay until October here in the UK.

Dringus,

vape4fun

Thanks for sharing Mitch....it's a shame that it's not so simple to use. If someone never vaped before was given this and said pack it push buttons and go at it, it wouldn't end well. Either they will pack it wrong suck it wrong or mostly not do a long long long slow slow slow draw!

Once you figure out this thing it's amazing but it comes with a pretty steep curve for vaporists. Obviously this thread is mostly filled with passionate users but I'd love to find out how your average joe given this vape would be doing with it.

darbarikanada

from the article: "The Pax 2 takes about 40 seconds longer than the Firefly2 to reach temperature, and uses conduction heating, which means it burns the material directly. By comparison, the Firefly2 uses convention material, passing hot air over it. Some pot bloggers suggest this technology gives a better high, as you're not scorching certain compounds in the weed."

kinda surprised that writing conduction 'burns' (and scorches) made it past editing. whoever wrote the piece clearly isn't familiar with vaping technology.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Once you figure out this thing it's amazing but it comes with a pretty steep curve for vaporists. Obviously this thread is mostly filled with passionate users but I'd love to find out how your average joe given this vape would be doing with it.

Obviously the success of a product like this relies on a more mainstream buying public than just us FC obsessives. :p I assume FF thought pretty hard about making the device usable to even new vapers. It'd be interesting to know how your average vape buyer, who may not hand-wring over every feature like we do, is getting on with the FF2. I really wouldn't describe it as a steep learning curve but you do need a few basic directions (like "draw longer"!) if you've never used this kind of vape before. The post on the previous page with the "instructions" from FF is probably something that should be included in the documentation with each device.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-2-vaporizer.20281/page-92#post-974784

This is pretty great advice from FF themselves on usage, and worth repeating, so, here it is again...:p

The Firefly 2 does NOT hit at all like the PAX, Crafty/Mighty, Davinci, etc) Those all heat up the material for some time before you ever draw, so when you draw with those devices, they usually will get vapor from a short 2-3 second inhalation.

The Firefly 2 works differently, the material is only heated as you draw hot air through it, so the actual extraction of vapor only happens then and over the course of an inhalation lasting about 5-15 seconds, with 10 seconds being a typically average length.

A concise explanation of this is that those other vaporizers go slow to go fast, while we go fast to go slow. In other words, they make you wait a while so you can take fast hits thereafter, while we heat up almost instantly so you can enjoy a longer, slower, more ultimately more satisfying draws with the Firefly 2.

Start by filling the bowl completely with hand torn ground material, tamp down lightly, make sure the lid is sealed, and to take a long, slow inhalation! At least 12-15 seconds!

I would also suggest looking at our Firefly 2 user manual specifically the Tips and Tricks section.

https://www.thefirefly.com/media/Firefly2-UserManual-v2-lowres.pdf

mitchgo61,
Reactions: pushpaw

jay87

@vape4fun I think it's acceptable to expect the owner of an expensive medicinal product to understand how it works at least at a very basic level. It's a convection vape where your draw heats the material, if anyone is able to understand that then they should be able to get good results.

To say the FF2 is difficult to use simply because you can't take a draw off it the same way you'd try to suck a golf ball through a hose is a bit misleading in my opinion. :lol:

On a related note, to anyone using concentrates with the FF2, if you pack it while it's still warm you can pre-melt your concentrate on to the pad and enjoy the full effect of having an "on-demand" portable vaporizer :brow:

Papagiorgio

Alright, Hi everyone! Just a warning, this is going to be a long post from an inexperienced vaper who absolutely loves his FF2.

I've followed this thread ever since I toyed with the thought of purchasing my first vape (so probably since about page 30 or so). I've always lurked and never posted on any message boards about one of my favorite hobbies. But I just had to register and give everyone a hearty "Thank You!" to all of those who posted their impressions and added to all of the great discussion in this thread.

I'm a daily (3-5 bong bowls daily) smoker for the past 6-7 years. My experience with vaping has been limited to a buddy's desktop vape I used a handful of times in college (5 years ago, I can't remember which one it was). I was always left with the feeling of just wanting to take a bong hit instead, what with the waiting for it to heat up, etc. I've exclusively used bongs for about 2 years, they're my favorite. Never been a fan of joints, but I love blunts. Spoon pipes do the job. But you know what I'm getting at; my limited experience with vaporizers left me a bit wary. (EDIT: I forgot to mention that I also tried the PAX 1 2 years ago or so. A buddy of mine was trying to sell me his and I just wasn't impressed...and it smelled).

So, when I hear about devices like the FF2 and Grasshopper, I started to get pretty interested. I can definitely feel the toll combustion has taken on my lungs over the past 6 years or so. I've got more disposable income now, so I took the plunge on April 23rd and ordered a FF2. I received it on May 20 (Black color).

I've wasted enough of your time, so I'll say that this is an amazing device to enjoy herb. There is absolutely a period of getting used to the device (as many readers of this thread know by now). But the results (level of medication) it provides are top notch, and I love how it's a different effect than combustion and bong hits. I don't know if being an inexperienced vaper (combined with all of the great tips in this thread) helpd me speed up the learning process, but I already feel like I've got it down. I go with medium temp during the day (lunch break), medium to medium high when i'm getting off work, and high before I go to bed or if I feel like getting awesome clouds and quick and heavy medication. I love having the ability to decide what kind of effect I want in one device, and it fits in my pocket!

I will say, it takes around 20-30 seconds to get a good hit (usually until the green light shuts off, whether that's due to the end of its heating cycle or overheating, idk). I always know it's going to be a great draw if I start to feel it in my throat a bit. I probably have to stir half as much on medium as I do when on medium-high to high. I usually stir every 2 hits on higher temps, which kind of takes away from the odorless aspect of the device (which I love).

I feel the battery life is acceptable for a consumer device that's this price, and the the fact they included 2 really makes up for any downsides. When I take it to my girlfriend's place overnight, I make sure to bring the charger though. (They really should have included a wall adapter though, bit salty about that).

I'm almost ready to make this my #1 device for herbs and hide the bong away in my closet. This odorless, simple experience with great results continues to win me over more day by day.

I'm feeling pretty great from this device right now (and trust me, I don't have access to quality stuff. No medicinal or dispensary stuff, I'm just lucky to know a guy! :p). I'm dying to know what this thing is like with concentrates now, especially because I only ever tried dabs once and I thought it was a huge pain in the ass. A Summer trip to Colorado is looking pretty good right now!

I know that's a lot but I'm still sorry if I forgot to mention or go over anything. This was definitely a stream of consciousness post with a touch of editing.

Thanks again, everyone!

Last edited:

pushpaw

Thanks for sharing Mitch....it's a shame that it's not so simple to use. If someone never vaped before was given this and said pack it push buttons and go at it, it wouldn't end well. Either they will pack it wrong suck it wrong or mostly not do a long long long slow slow slow draw!

I don't agree with you on the steep curve thing. Admittedly I have used a number of vapes before I got my FF2, including the FF1, but I had zero issues figuring it out. To me it was totally straightforward and worked exactly as I expected. Dead simple. Nothing at all like the MFLB which was an annoying and very finicky device that didn't feel at all simple to use, and that confused everyone I let try mine when I had one. FF2 on the other hand just works, with the sole caveat being that I tell friends that are going to use it for the first time that slower draws are better (which is true of many convection vapes, even the powerful little Grasshopper benefits from a slower draw unless you are taking a bunch of hits back to back, at which point it kicks like a mule, but I digress.)

I would expect that most new users would do the following: hand crumble some bud into the bowl (as the instructions tell you to), put the lid on, wait until the light stops blinking and take a couple hits. I would also expect that most of them will be pleased with the results. There will probably be some that are maybe used to taking massive bong hits or whatever, or who have only ever used conduction vapes (although some of those have their own way of ensuring a long slow draw, like the Arizer Solo which I always warned people is like an avocado smoothie; it's a great vape but I do not miss that restricted draw at all), who will have to adjust their approach if they are going to enjoy the FF2, but I think most will just get it.

Another note about the MFLB since there has been some chatter about long slow draws with the FF2: compared to the MFLB you can really hit the FF2. I have never understood why some people really loved that ugly little box thing. I mean, yeah, it worked and would fairly efficiently vape your weed so long as you ground it to a near powder and were willing to fuss around with it for ages, 'sipping' vapor off it ever so slowly and shaking it around and whatnot. The FF2 is nowhere near this level of slow draw. It doesn't feel unnaturally slow to me at all. Not all that different from hitting a properly loaded pipe (some of my friends love to overpack pipes, I don't know why...) except that with a pipe you start getting smoke immediately, and with the FF2 it takes a moment before the vapor is flowing.

pushpaw,
Reactions: Dudeman

vape4fun

Hey Jay
As almost everyone else has said there's a learning curve to the FF2 which is my point. I wouldn't call this simple. Perhaps me saying steep learning curve was too far I'd call picking up a bong and lighter simple.

I'd call the FF2 the most amazing device ever made if you're willing to learn how to use it

Last edited:
vape4fun,

mtngirl

Meh. Can't say I'm loving the FF2 so far.

I basically went from years with the MFLB to the Crafty and now FF2. In the time between lending out my Crafty and receiving my FF2, I went back to my MFLB. The flavor was better than either of my more costly vapes and the vapor was full and clean. I may sell FF2 and return to the tried and true launch box. I think I got swept up in the hype. Neither Crafty nor FF2 are $200 better than MFLB. IN fact, I'm not sure they're better at all. The worst thing about the MFLB is having to use rechargeable AA's when on the go.

My Vape history:
Vaportech (4 years)
Vapor Genie (less than 1 year)
Magic Flight Launch Box (MFLB) (4 years)
Puffco Pro pen (less than 1 year)
Crafty (6 months)
Firefly 2 (1 week)

Comparing the Crafty to the FF2...

What I like about FF2:
Fast start (the 3 min wait on Crafty was inconvenient for stealth use)
Better pocket-ability than Crafty
Don't have to finish load
Waste less material than Crafty

What I don't like:
That you have to stir.
That you really can't tap it to stir. You have to remove lid.
Flowers stick to glass.
Easy to unintentionally touch button - turn on.
Stubby mouthpiece - unrefined experience - inhale is cramped.
Too much draw resistance.
I expected flavor to be remarkable - not as good as MFLB.

My most important factors are:
-flavor
-quick start
-one hit and return later

For that, the MFLB wins.

If you're set on spending over $300 for a vape then I'd prolly go with the Crafty despite the slow start-up. It's a better overall experience than the FF2.

mtngirl,

pushpaw

I expected flavor to be remarkable - not as good as MFLB.
Hahahaha, pull the other one it has bells on. You have got to be freaking kidding.

Use what you want, but if you think the MFLB tastes better than the FF2 (or the FF1, or just about any other vape) then you must get some really good stuff because that is crazy talk, in my opinion. It isn't even a fair competition.

My most important factors are:
-flavor
-quick start
-one hit and return later

So again, use what you want but I think you are crazy. Flavor, MFLB... does it even have any? Really? Quick start... nope, first you have to over grind (you can't just break up a bud with your fingers into the MFLB if it is going to do anything), then you have to fumble with a battery and hold it just right, then 'sip' veeeerrry sloooowly if you want it to work at all. One hit and return later... sure, it can do that but only because it does such a terrible job of heating up to begin with (it is a conduction vape after all).

Firefly 2 (or 1) wins for me on all those counts. I also have a Grasshopper which also wins on every count there. I used to have a MFLB. I paid full retail for it some time ago. I gave it away. I am happy it is gone. i am fairly sure that the friend I gave it to has also given it away now. I also used to have a Solo, and it was waaaaay better than the MFLB in every respect and you can get those or the Arizer Air for about the same price as a MFLB anyway. I just don't get it with the whole MFLB thing. But whatever, man. Use whatever thing you want, still beats combusting.

Editing to add a couple things, since I re-read my post and felt I was coming across harsh and that is not my intent.

I hear you on the stirring thing, but stirring is pretty common with convection vapes. I would rather stir than have to grind my stuff to powder (for the MFLB) or waste a ton of material (what the Crafty would do since I am a take a hit here and there guy, and only session out when with friends). I use the FF2 as an around the house vape, and so stirring doesn't bother me. I use the Grasshopper for out and about, and it currently unbeatable for that purpose hands down. There is nothing even close. I also just recently tried concentrates in my FF2 and wow, it really is amazing. Neither the Crafty or the MFLB can do that at all.

Flowers stick to glass: a mixed blessing. One, it is super easy to clean and Two, the bits that stick there gather some honey oil on them. I use a plain wood toothpick to stir with, and I also use it to scrape some of the herb and oil from the lid there, and stir it back into the bowl. Is lovely. I've thought about saving the little scrapings until I could load a bowl of just that, but am lazy so I don't.

Easy to unintentionally turn on: Maybe. I only notice when I am cleaning it. Doesn't really bother me, but I would guess that if enough people are annoyed they will address it with a firmware update later. I am not opposed to an e-cig style multi tap to turn on and off, or at least the option.

Stubby mouthpiece: It is removable and there will likely be 3rd party water tool adapters or other mouthpieces over time. I still greatly prefer it to the wacky little acrylic tube that came with my MFLB, and that amazingly I never lost.

Too much draw resistance: Compared to a conduction vape like the Crafty, I get it, but it is worth it. Compared to a conduction vape like the Solo, not so much, or at all (so much more resistance on the Solo). Compared to the insane thing you have to do with how you inhale to make the MFLB work at all, hahaha no. Just no.

Last edited:

mtngirl

Hello people, new here but have been reading the FC posts for a while. I got my FF 2 about 3 weeks ago but couldn't try it until just 10 days ago due to catching the flu.

Any way I am pretty new to vaping and purchased the Pax 2 while I was waiting for the FF 2 order to be fulfilled. That being said I had some issue with the FF 2 technique. I got it down now, and I am loving it.

However I wrote to FF and asked them for help since I was getting little or no vapor production. They replied back to me with an email with some good tips. I would like to share it here in case another noob might be having issues too, like I had. the you tube videos were especially helpful as they are cued at the right time so you don't have to watch the whole thing.

Here is an excerpt from FF 2 support:

The Firefly 2 does NOT hit at all like the PAX, Crafty/Mighty, Davinci, etc) Those all heat up the material for some time before you ever draw, so when you draw with those devices, they usually will get vapor from a short 2-3 second inhalation.

The Firefly 2 works differently, the material is only heated as you draw hot air through it, so the actual extraction of vapor only happens then and over the course of an inhalation lasting about 5-15 seconds, with 10 seconds being a typically average length.

A concise explanation of this is that those other vaporizers go slow to go fast, while we go fast to go slow. In other words, they make you wait a while so you can take fast hits thereafter, while we heat up almost instantly so you can enjoy a longer, slower, more ultimately more satisfying draws with the Firefly 2.

Start by filling the bowl completely with hand torn ground material, tamp down lightly, make sure the lid is sealed, and to take a long, slow inhalation! At least 12-15 seconds!

I would also suggest looking at our Firefly 2 user manual specifically the Tips and Tricks section.

https://www.thefirefly.com/media/Firefly2-UserManual-v2-lowres.pdf

And here are a couple YouTube videos from critics that describe how they use their Firefly (just watch through the times I have put below):

- Minute 2:30 - 5:50:

- Minute 21:22 - 34:44 (pay particular attention to 23:55):

- Minute 6:28 - 8:30:

I sincerely hope his helps.

Warm Regards, Firefly Support

TheFirefly.com

On another note, I am looking for a good desktop vape to compliment the FF2 and the Pax 2. Any suggestions? I would like it to be $250 or under. I saw the previous post today about the e-nano. that looks promising. You guys mentioned a FC discount code? Anyone know what it is, and if it is still valid?

Thank you for all the help and this great forum. :)

I'm curious what there is to gain from a desktop vape that these higher end portables don't provide (unless you are entertaining a group)?

Hahahaha, pull the other one it has bells on. You have got to be freaking kidding.

I find it strange as well that shortly after I posted in this very thread talking about how I don't understand the dedication that some people have for the MFLB and generally being critical of it you show up and post that. Uncanny. A new user as well...

Use what you want, but if you think the MFLB tastes better than the FF2 (or the FF1, or just about any other vape) then you must get some really good stuff because that is crazy talk, in my opinion. It isn't even a fair competition.

So again, use what you want but I think you are crazy. Flavor, MFLB... does it even have any? Really? Quick start... nope, first you have to over grind (you can't just break up a bud with your fingers into the MFLB if it is going to do anything), then you have to fumble with a battery and hold it just right, then 'sip' veeeerrry sloooowly if you want it to work at all. One hit and return later... sure, it can do that but only because it does such a terrible job of heating up to begin with (it is a conduction vape after all).

Firefly 2 (or 1) wins for me on all those counts. I also have a Grasshopper which also wins on every count there. I used to have a MFLB. I paid full retail for it some time ago. I gave it away. I am happy it is gone. i am fairly sure that the friend I gave it to has also given it away now. I also used to have a Solo, and it was waaaaay better than the MFLB in every respect and you can get those or the Arizer Air for about the same price as a MFLB anyway. I just don't get it with the whole MFLB thing. But whatever, man. Use whatever thing you want, still beats combusting.

Wow dude. Thanks for being so welcoming. No I don't come here much. Usually I'm asking for help. Today I thought I'd offer my 2 cents with what I thought was a community.

Last edited by a moderator:

pushpaw

Wow dude. Thanks for being so welcoming. No I don't come here much. Usually I'm asking for help. Today I thought I'd offer my 2 cents with what I thought was a community.
Sorry, I was just editing my post (before you replied) as I am pretty high and realized too late that I was being an ass. My most humble apologies. I disagree with some of your points, but I did not mean to be unfriendly.

pushpaw,
Reactions: snamuh

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I'm curious what there is to gain from a desktop vape that these higher end portables don't provide (unless you are entertaining a group)?

It can be nice to have the versatility of AC power. I can get hits from a desktop that I cannot get from portables (even those I love dearly). If you like glass and water tools a desktop can be an invaluable engine for those.

Welcome to FC, and, back on topic, you aren't the first person to have a less-than-positive view of the 2. Just speaking for myself, I appreciate anyone taking the time to review a vape I'm interested in, even if I don't agree. I do think comparing it to the Crafty is very apples and oranges....one is manual and convection, which will always require more intervention...and one is automatic and specifically designed to avoid intervention even at the cost of conductive cooking.

Full circle back to the desktop question....these are essentially different classes of vapes for different uses and different experiences.

Kermitt

I'm wondering if it would be better to have a FF2 sent to one of my friends in the USA (from a USA retailer) and then have him send it to me here in the UK. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I would absolutely be willing to pay extra for duty tax or whatever charges might incur. Also, is it safe to do this (should I be worried about customs)?

Good question

Kermitt,

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

Editing to add a couple things, since I re-read my post and felt I was coming across harsh and that is not my intent.

I hear you on the stirring thing, but stirring is pretty common with convection vapes. I would rather stir than have to grind my stuff to powder (for the MFLB) or waste a ton of material (what the Crafty would do since I am a take a hit here and there guy, and only session out when with friends). I use the FF2 as an around the house vape, and so stirring doesn't bother me. I use the Grasshopper for out and about, and it currently unbeatable for that purpose hands down. There is nothing even close. I also just recently tried concentrates in my FF2 and wow, it really is amazing. Neither the Crafty or the MFLB can do that at all.

Flowers stick to glass: a mixed blessing. One, it is super easy to clean and Two, the bits that stick there gather some honey oil on them. I use a plain wood toothpick to stir with, and I also use it to scrape some of the herb and oil from the lid there, and stir it back into the bowl. Is lovely. I've thought about saving the little scrapings until I could load a bowl of just that, but am lazy so I don't.

Easy to unintentionally turn on: Maybe. I only notice when I am cleaning it. Doesn't really bother me, but I would guess that if enough people are annoyed they will address it with a firmware update later. I am not opposed to an e-cig style multi tap to turn on and off, or at least the option.

Stubby mouthpiece: It is removable and there will likely be 3rd party water tool adapters or other mouthpieces over time. I still greatly prefer it to the wacky little acrylic tube that came with my MFLB, and that amazingly I never lost.

Too much draw resistance: Compared to a conduction vape like the Crafty, I get it, but it is worth it. Compared to a conduction vape like the Solo, not so much, or at all (so much more resistance on the Solo). Compared to the insane thing you have to do with how you inhale to make the MFLB work at all, hahaha no. Just no.

I'm expecting I'll be doing the same with regards to firefly2 around the house and Grasshopper for out and about, although if my OG FF experience informs anything my GH will get pletny of around the house use. The OG FF has amazing and probably "better" flavor than the GH, but the GH has excellent flavor and can't be beat for easy to use. My FF2 gets here Friday so looking forward to taking flight to flavor country!

slcbdco,
Reactions: murf2010

C4PO

Anyone used kief in the FF2? I've been letting it collect in my grinder for some time now and it's about time to put it to use. I wonder if it would be better to just sprinkle it loose on some bud or put it in a press first.

PeteSeattle

Anyone used kief in the FF2? I've been letting it collect in my grinder for some time now and it's about time to put it to use. I wonder if it would be better to just sprinkle it loose on some bud or put it in a press first.
Had the same thought. In order to keep kief from all rushing to the mouth piece try sandwiching the kief between two concentrate pads.

Now, don't take my word for it as it's an idea that popped into my head while medicating.

DarkSm0ke

@mtngirl I am pretty new to vaping, and so far I only own or have used portable vapes. I know some people that have desktops that love them. I would like to experience what some other vapes have to offer without having to be constrained to being portable. Also I concur with @mitchgo61, in regards to having it run on AC. It is kind of a drag to be in the middle of a session and have to replace the batteries, or recharge :doh:.

For me, I love my FF2. I had a learning curve, but that was basically because I am an inexperienced vaporist. I hope you try some different techniques, and or different bud or concentrates before you give up on it. I have been using herb for over 42 years on and off, and believe me, I have seen just about everything cannabis related. The FF2 really improves on the flavor and smell of your herb experience, and I love the clean buzz!

Modnote: Edited to remove reply from quote tags

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeG7265

Hi all, been reading this thread and have found a lot of great tips. I've finally got my method of use for my FF2. Thanks for all the tips btw.

I have a question about concentrates. I've never used any at all, but picked up a small amount to try with my FF2. My question is about how much should I start off with being a first timer?
I usually use .1-.12 for flowers, but I'm assuming that's too much concentrate. And tips would be greatly appreciated. :tup:

MikeG7265,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom