The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

justvapin

Enthusiastic Cannabis Consumer
While the manual does recommend leaving in the dock when not in use, that is generally not the preferred storage method with Lithium batteries. I have a god bit of experience with these type batteries due to previous hobbies, and would not suggest doing that. I think there may even be contradictory information from the folks at FF themselves on this issue, and there have been several posts in this thread about it.

Generally, you do not want to charge to 100%, or deplete fully. Hard to know with these particular batteries and charger as there is no real way to monitor the charge level. However, once it is charged, I would recommend removing from the dock and not allowing it to sit there for long periods of time. This is not good for the long term health of the battery, and may result in diminished life expectancy. As always, YMMV.

baxter84

I have had my FF2 for one month now. I have had a Pax 2 with the aftermarket mods for 9 months and Love it. The first couple weeks I was not loving the FF2. After a week of reading and trying, the only way I could get a cloud was to hold down on the bowl with my other hand and use a high setting and even then it was mehh. I was about to sell it and then the firmware update came out. I immediately did like everybody was saying they did and put it to 111%, and on high doing so I got combustion, was gross, lol. So I turned it down to 105% and have been a happy camper since. It now works like its supposed to. I don't need a second hand to push down on the bowl and I can get clouds at all temp settings, even the lowest one. I use it most days and it compliments my Pax perfectly. I usually use my pax to get me nice and medicated and then use the FF whenever I want another rip. But it works on its own damn well as well and it does have excellent flavor like everybody says. I do think its overpriced at $330, I got mine for $175 on craigslist and thats the most i would want to pay for it, but thats just me. If I had to choose only one then my pax with vented lid and pusher would win, no contest, for several different reasons but I do enjoy having it now.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Ok, I have had the power supply directly to the wall. Is it not ok to leave docked for days?
I think the manual suggests you always leave it docked when not in use.

The manual does say this, but @justvapin is correct that there's evidence that this is bad for battery life. I usually disconnect the charger once I see a solid blue (not like super punctual about it, but I don't leave it charging for hours either).

I haven't done any serious testing to determine if constant charging damages the battery, but I've read enough from users smarter than I am on the subject to make me wary of it.

kcmochris

Regarding battery health and longevity, I 100% agree with @justvapin. From USB power banks, to GoPros, to iPhone batteries, etc., Li-Ion and Li-Po(lymer) batteries, follow what he wrote up above. Those notes are almost identical to findings from my own research, as well what the customer rep from Anker (reputable "mobile power" company) and I discussed....Never fully charge NOR fully de-charge (to 0%) any new Li-Ion or Li-Po battery upon first charge/de-charge. Honestly, take heed to this advice! Once you've gone through a few cycles, it's good practice to fully discharge and fully charge. BUT! Only once every few months. There's a ton of info out there for those looking for more info.

I think the beauty of having the spare battery is to charge while away/not-in-use. So, like @turk, I feel....Meh....I love coming home or away for a moment to that solid blue light on the charger...Let's me know I'm good for a few session, plus whatever the brick currently in the device has left.

And, just to touch on the manual saying "leave on charger"--which, @stickstones, it 100% does say so....if you're a company (read: business), then the best advice will be for the user (read: consumer) to leave on the charger.
-1) if the bricks' perfomances decrease within reason, then that leads to new purchases ($$$)
-2) the customer should have a fully charged brick upon returning. No sense in scaring their (already worrisome) customers that they need to clock and stay on top of charge cycles! Imagine...haha...we already have to do this with our cell phones...

kcmochris,
Reactions: justvapin

ElPic

Take my money
If i don't use my spare batteries, what is the best way to keep that batteries healty over time??
I plan to only use it when my first one is going to die, i don't need it now!

ElPic,
Reactions: Cl4ud3
If i don't use my spare batteries, what is the best way to keep that batteries healty over time??
I plan to only use it when my first one is going to die, i don't need it now!
Li-on batteries will deteriorate even when not used i believe they only can survive about 3 years unless stored (40 % charge and cool temp.
see http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries

So best probably just alternate batteries and dont discharge them to 0.

jim-bob

Thanks jim-bob. Could you clarify whether you're now satisfied with all the battery issues? :)

Is this because you think you'd be more likely to get a reliable, long-functioning FF2 than a FF1? Or is the vaping quality itself superior?

Not to minimize your frustrations, but the battery indicator wouldn't be a big factor for me. (I know there have been a lot of opinions about battery maintenance, but I've had no problems with simply keeping my (770) plugged in when not in use.)
I fear I may be too late, but..

I consider the ff2 a major improvement over the ff1 in all elements but aesthetics (which people can probably argue) and "perceived build quality" (the ff2 is probably a more reliable unit, but it feels a little cheesy after the reassuring heft of the ff1).

I'm a big fan of having the different settings and power levels available to me, and let me tell you how much I don't miss cleaning FF1 screens or that goddamn insta-filthy porthole window on the lid.

If you get a chance to demo an ff2 before making the call, i recommend it. I think you'll like it.

Cl4ud3

If you get a chance to demo an ff2 before making the call, i recommend it. I think you'll like it.
This 100%
If it was possible to do this I'm sure there wouldn't be half the complaints because a lot of people would not have bought it :(

Cl4ud3,

jim-bob

This 100%
If it was possible to do this I'm sure there wouldn't be half the complaints because a lot of people would not have bought it :(
Yeah, it's definitely a polarizing vape. It's a bit rorschachian in that using it will probably confirm whichever bias you started out with.

For instance - it absolutely demands some stirring. I've gotten pretty into it, i like to poke my finger in there and mix it up and push it back into the bowl, i feel like it gives me a good idea of what i've been doing.. BUT - if I came at it in a different frame of mind it would be very easy to complain about the stupid damn firefly making me stir all the time when my other vape doesn't and c'mon what's up with that?

It's stuff like that, all the way down. I like the FF2 very much but I'm not about to judge anyone for disliking it.

ElPic

Take my money
Li-on batteries will deteriorate even when not used i believe they only can survive about 3 years unless stored (40 % charge and cool temp.
see http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries

So best probably just alternate batteries and dont discharge them to 0.
Im pretty sure that my first batteries will not last 3 years (last me 6 to 8 month max in the first FF), so it will probably be ok...
The spare batteries is still in the original package so, probably at 40% already I supposed?!

Does anyone else get that nice golden honey trail on their ff2 lid after a bowl? I've been wondering if it's worth it to collect the goo and how it should be collected. We could use a razor blade to scrape it off onto parchment paper, but then the little bits of plant material along side it would also be collected, any thoughts?

KLo

No Ember
Yeah, it's definitely a polarizing vape. It's a bit rorschachian in that using it will probably confirm whichever bias you started out with.

For instance - it absolutely demands some stirring. I've gotten pretty into it, i like to poke my finger in there and mix it up and push it back into the bowl, i feel like it gives me a good idea of what i've been doing.. BUT - if I came at it in a different frame of mind it would be very easy to complain about the stupid damn firefly making me stir all the time when my other vape doesn't and c'mon what's up with that?

It's stuff like that, all the way down. I like the FF2 very much but I'm not about to judge anyone for disliking it.

Yeah, get up in that shit. Poke about with a premordial stick
Stirring like we tokers do
Stoke the toke

KLo,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
The manual does say this, but @justvapin is correct that there's evidence that this is bad for battery life. I usually disconnect the charger once I see a solid blue (not like super punctual about it, but I don't leave it charging for hours either).

I haven't done any serious testing to determine if constant charging damages the battery, but I've read enough from users smarter than I am on the subject to make me wary of it.
Most children under 8 years old know to not overcharge {game boys, cell phones, vaporizers}
When the battery is charged take it off the charger. (over charging kills)

There are devices to create a automatic shut off for around $20.
Most manufactures don't provide this feature?

kcmochris

Does anyone else get that nice golden honey trail on their ff2 lid after a bowl? I've been wondering if it's worth it to collect the goo and how it should be collected. We could use a razor blade to scrape it off onto parchment paper, but then the little bits of plant material along side it would also be collected, any thoughts?

I've wondered it myself. It smells delicious and honey "trail" is exactly what remains....guys around here (and the interwebs) call it (honey oil) "reclaim." Do some forum searching, googling and some patience for someone here with some 1st hand experience reaping the golden benefits of the FF2. I'd love to know more, too, and have found some interesting stuff. For me, I'm worried about scratching the bottom and/or top glass surface if I were to use a razor blade. I know some people collect their reclaim in (water) pipes with Hemp Fiber. I'm a total rookie to vaping and am constantly learning new ways to achieve more extraction from our medicine. I'm gonna attempt to make a tincture with all this ABV I have stored!

Anyways, let's make sure to keep this FF2 related--I hate coming to a forum days later, only to read about ANOTHER vape or whatever. :)

kcmochris,

BabaRobDass

Nay on the stirring. "shaken" or tapped, not stirred- always. and when I'm finished with a bowl it is proper ABV. Try not stirring, it works!

BabaRobDass,

Reggie Watts

The power tuning has basically added more steps to my "temp stepping" ladder. Now I do this:

Medium 100
Medium 103
Med High 103
Med High 106
High 106
High 109
High 111 (Every time I think, "This one goes to 11!" in a British accent. Every fucking time. =D )

Is this what you guys do? Does my way seem efficient?

Last edited:

The Natty Leprechaun

I scrap the honey oil/reclaim off with a couple single edge blades VERY carefully and when it's still warm helps a lot i try to limit the tiny pieces that get stuck in the oil and scrap from one blade to the other and get a nice amount for a concentrate pad and O do the clouds start a flowing

kcmochris

ZCCvZRF.png

^^^
http://imgur.com/ZCCvZRF

@Reggie Watts This is what I'm doing. I highlighted the temps I like, slapped it on the wall and put a digital copy on the phone. It works for me. Once again, thanks to @PureVapor for the matrix! See quote below for reference.

11% 377 400 422 444 466
10% 374 396 418 440 462
9% 371 392 414 436 458
8% 367 389 410 432 454
7% 364 385 407 428 449
6% 360 382 403 424 445
5% 357 378 399 420 441
4% 354 374 395 416 437
3% 350 371 391 412 433
2% 347 367 388 408 428
1% 343 364 384 404 424
0% 340 360 380 400 420