The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pears

@Pears hey, I'm thinking of getting the firefly 2 as an upgrade to my MFLB. However, before I knew of this device, I was 100% getting the mighty. Do you think the mighty still reigns supreme?

I like the look of the firefly 2, instant convection sounds interesting. Using it with bluetooth and all the rest sounds like an interesting idea. It also just looks awesome IMO, better than the mighty in the hand.

But I use my extreme Q daily and enjoy the power of a desktop. I also like being able to fuck about with temperatures. Decisions...
Mighty is king for me because it's fill and go with no fuss. I'm lazy when it comes to stirring sometimes so that's why I tend to stick to the Mighty so much, it needs none. The mighty is a little big so if extreme portability is something you need it may not be for you. That said I think the mighty is great portable because I tend to have a few friends around and it can easily work for us, since I don't feel like teaching them the FF.

jay87

@ronads FF2 is king for me by far. It's not even close:

• On-demand beats being forced to vape an entire huge load and having to wait for heat-up
  • Concentrates or dry herb effectively, no other portable can handle both as well as the FF2
  • So much easier to clean, I've seen a Mighty deep cleaning video and I cannot imagine going through that again after having the FF2.
  • Vapor quality, efficiency, taste, the FF2 wins all of those for me.
  • Looks: The FF2 is a sexy beast, the Mighty is function over fashion incarnate. FF2 looks much better.

If you're coming from an MFLB though, both the FF2 and the Mighty will be like going from black and white film to HD virtual reality for you :lol:

Also I wanna throw this out here, by far the best option is to get both of these vaporizers ;)

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
@ronads Also I wanna throw this out here, by far the best option is to get both of these vaporizers ;)

Agree completely, and have said this many times. They are, for me, perhaps the most perfect portable vape pairing...entirely complementary, working in different ways, suitable for different applications. I often find myself needing one over the other, almost equally.

The Mighty is certainly easier to use, though, and a lot easier to hand someone in a social setting. As long as they aren't scared by its looks. :lol:

b0

Cloudy...
Not only can the Grasshopper handle them both as well, it handles concentrates even better.

I'm sorry but I disagree. Maybe in flowers (but the vapor is a lot harsher and that's why I sold my GH) but with concentrates I think the FF2 is much better, probably the best portable apart from vaporizers only for concentrates.

Then how come everyone I've seen in the grasshopper thread has to use cotton or herb with their concentrates?

Exactly

ronads

@Pears thanks, the mighty is a reliable powerhouse which is good, and it being easy to use would be good to show my friends. @jay87 I think I'll get the FF2, I am using the extreme Q with DDAVE mod which has been my daily driver for a while. Been looking for an upgrade on the MFLB for portability its the only one I have that is portable and it's rubbish compared to the Q haha.

The FF2 looks like just the new vape I am after then. Want to cut down my use from puffing away all the time to taking more quality hits that are more efficient for during the week.

As a previous tobacco and joint smoker, moving to only vaporising since March has allowed me to play around with different ways of vaping. The idea of using it as a pipe, as an occasional puff type thing sounds extremely appealing.

@mitchgo61 if only I had the money I would buy both in a second haha. Or a grasshopper. I did want the grasshopper but then saw that the ff2 was convection too... 8)

jay87

So if you're like me you may sometimes get a little overzealous and accidentally put too much concentrate into your FF2. This will also probably lead to having clogged holes in the bottom of the heating chamber. :doh:

Firefly recommends using canned air to clean the holes but I would actually recommend avoiding canned air because of the bitterants that are likely added to it.

Instead what I did was clean my FF2 like normal with iso, then later begin taking numerous draws with the FF2 empty and set to concentrate 111%. I continue taking hard draws and use either a squeezable air pump or my trusty lungs to blow air into the clogged heating chamber holes. In this way the FF2 is kind of self cleaning.

I've had success doing this to clear the clogged holes in my FF2 so far, but the best thing to avoid this is prevention. Don't overfill, a little dab'll do ya. :lol:

Bdubbdiblets

Hello FF2 FC'ers!! I'm new to this thread but have been reading up...I come from grasshopper land where the grass is not necessarily always greener...hence me being here.:wave:

My main needs in a vape in order to help me continue to fuck combustion are quick, powerful and portable..which the hopper does just fine (when working of course). Buuuut...lately I have been reading about users' exploding batteries and possible inhalation of battery fumes...no bueno. Id prefer it if my need for medicinal Mary would not cause further issues like a melting face from an exploded hopper battery!:doh:

Soooo..it seems the ff2 suits all that I am looking for (although a touch expensive)...On demand, strong hits and portable.

Can anyone speak to it giving as good of or better hits than the hopper? Not necessarily flavor but potency?

People say it has a learning curve but I am used to long draws from a joint or bong so it seems like it would be perfect for me..?

Also I have an annoyingly high tolerance and the hopper can get me medicated in a few hits unlike other vapes I've used which tend to require a full session..can one with a high tolerance get medicated in a few hits?

Also I'm a flower guy...rarely use concentrates. Is the ff2 worth it if my main course is herb?

️️Thx peeps! Vape forth:rockon:

Hello FF2 FC'ers!! I'm new to this thread but have been reading up...I come from grasshopper land where the grass is not necessarily always greener...hence me being here.:wave:

My main needs in a vape in order to help me continue to fuck combustion are quick, powerful and portable..which the hopper does just fine (when working of course). Buuuut...lately I have been reading about users' exploding batteries and possible inhalation of battery fumes...no bueno. Id prefer it if my need for medicinal Mary would not cause further issues like a melting face from an exploded hopper battery!:doh:

Soooo..it seems the ff2 suits all that I am looking for (although a touch expensive)...On demand, strong hits and portable.

Can anyone speak to it giving as good of or better hits than the hopper? Not necessarily flavor but potency?

People say it has a learning curve but I am used to long draws from a joint or bong so it seems like it would be perfect for me..?

Also I have an annoyingly high tolerance and the hopper can get me medicated in a few hits unlike other vapes I've used which tend to require a full session..can one with a high tolerance get medicated in a few hits?

Also I'm a flower guy...rarely use concentrates. Is the ff2 worth it if my main course is herb?

️️Thx peeps! Vape forth:rockon:

I use it only for flowers and it beats every other vape i have for flavor and cool draw. It has taken me awhile to figure out and it needs stirring almost always to complete the extraction which makes it less portable. It medicates amazingly well.

flipjoe

Can i use the firefly 2 without the app? I guess i can use it on med setting only right?
Nevermind, i figured it out. Sorry, please delete.

Last edited:
flipjoe,

jay87

So here's some of the issues I've been having with my Firefly 2 that I'd hope Firefly pays attention to and tries to fix in their future designs.

• Sun > FF2

When I've got my FF2 and I'm outside on a beautiful day and the sun is shining, when I use my FF2 It is impossible for me to tell if the green light is on or not. So I pretty much just use my mental clock of when to reset the heater just in case but it's quite an annoyance.

Here's a crazy story for you: I'm relatively sure the sun made me accidentally combust when using my FF2 outside. :hmm:

I noticed after I had been leaving the FF2 sitting still in the sun not thinking about it, I took a draw and it tasted odd but the cloud was quite large. I took a draw without even engaging the FF2 heater and still got a odd tasting thick large cloud.

I have a hunch combustion might've occurred from the sun shining through the glass and significantly increasing the temperature in the FF2. :shrug:

• What's up with the window?

No really, what's up with the window? When I'm using the device it's impossible for me to see through the window which defeats the purpose of being able to watch your hit. I guess I can show off for other people, but unless they get uncomfortably close they can't actually see anything in the chamber. :rolleyes:

I feel that a lot could be done in terms of Firefly 2 lids with removed windows or different functionality inserted in the windows place.

Imagine a lid with no window but has a heating chamber reducer instead. :nod:

What I really want is alternative mouthpiece options. If they sold glass mouthpieces or water attachments then you could really show off how good your vaporizer is by giving everyone a preview of the cloud as it moves through some nice glass. :drool:

• Let's use the app to its fullest.

So I see that the Firefly 2 app is still really in its infancy but I think it has a huge amount of room to grow. Specifically I don't see why they can't implement a temperature changing feature based on the buttons that currently exist on the device.

With all of the firmware altering features that the app currently is capable of I really can't see a reason why they couldn't implement:

"hold left button to decrease temp, hold right button to increase temp" :brow:

There's so many features and so much potential for software development for the Firefly 2 and future vaporizers that this shouldn't be ignored.

The future of vaporizers will undoubtedly be led by "Smart-Vaporizers" and to get a lead on that now would pay off absolutely huge for any vaporizer company down the road. :science:

Last edited:

flipjoe

Specifically I don't see why they can't implement a temperature changing feature based on the buttons that currently exist on the device.
Yeah man, when i bought a crafty some years ago i realized i need a new phone to use all functions of this expensive vape.
Now the same thing happened to me when i ordered the ff2 some hours ago and then found out that my phone doesn't support android 5. I know it has been said a lot of times but damn! It really sucks that i have to own a (new) phone to vape some sweet plant.
What would you do? Buy a new phone? Root the phone and load a new version on it and void the warranty or even brick it? Find a friend who has a newer phone and sit around at his place trying to find out which temp setting is the best and then next day realizing it's not? :)

Last edited:
flipjoe,

malsanti

I don't think temperature control is present, because the temperature depends on how long your draws are, and how much time you take between draws. That's why it's more accurate the way it is.

On medium, you can get that bowl super hot, especially if you got the grind right, and its coarse, it will heat up quite nicely, and quickly, even more so without the screen.

Well, I've finally tried a mighty and GH. Convinced the gf to the get the mighty. And I have an xhale, and also tried the flowermate. Personally, I don't think any of them are even close to as pleasurable to use as the FF2. The flavor, and long lasting flavor in the mouth, only Firefly 2, out of those, does that part so damn well. Sure the Xhale will get you high, but the taste is not close, and the taste doesn't linger.

The only thing is the potential learning curve. You can luck out and figure out the technique early. I think taking out the screen from the mouth piece actually changes the technique, and allows for much greater potential, as without the screen you get far more air flow, but the bowl needs more restriction to compensate for that.

Without the mouthpiece seems like the very coarse grind that ppl do, works AMAZINGLY well now. It just hits so well and efficient now. Only issue previously was, sometimes the grind would just not be right, but now I got it down.

malsanti,
Reactions: blue80217

blue80217

blue80217
Mighty is king for me because it's fill and go with no fuss. I'm lazy when it comes to stirring sometimes so that's why I tend to stick to the Mighty so much, it needs none. The mighty is a little big so if extreme portability is something you need it may not be for you. That said I think the mighty is great portable because I tend to have a few friends around and it can easily work for us, since I don't feel like teaching them the FF.

If it was me and I no now what I would do ,get the Mighty

Last edited by a moderator:
blue80217,
Reactions: ronads

C4PO

Yeah man, when i bought a crafty some years ago i realized i need a new phone to use all functions of this expensive vape.
Now the same thing happened to me when i ordered the ff2 some hours ago and then found out that my phone doesn't support android 5. I know it has been said a lot of times but damn! It really sucks that i have to own a (new) phone to vape some sweet plant.
What would you do? Buy a new phone? Root the phone and load a new version on it and void the warranty or even brick it? Find a friend who has a newer phone and sit around at his place trying to find out which temp setting is the best and then next day realizing it's not? :)

I'm on the opposite end where it's been recommended here that I downgrade my phone from Android 7 to 6. While I'm aware of how to do this, I shouldn't need to do this just for one app to work properly. While extensive testing was touted here for this update I have a hard time believing it when there are problems on a stock Nexus 5X and 6P, the current reference devices for Android. If there is one phone that shouldn't have issues after proper testing, it's mine.

Customer support leaves a lot to be desired as well as I sent them logs 12 days ago and haven't had any response. :shrug:

C4PO,
Reactions: flipjoe

Reggie Watts

@Pears hey, I'm thinking of getting the firefly 2 as an upgrade to my MFLB. However, before I knew of this device, I was 100% getting the mighty. Do you think the mighty still reigns supreme?
I'm in the "Mighty is still king" camp. Well, I'm really in the "buy both for different situations" camp, but if forced to choose, I'd go Mighty.

Things commonly cited in favor of FF2 are on-demand, ease of cleaning, flavor, and aesthetic appeal. Taking those in turn: I prefer session vaping, but I always end up doing a "session" with the FF2 anyway. Even when I used to smoke bowls, I would do them in a session (hitting the bowl repeatedly until it was cashed). So that's really a moot point for me. The FF2 is easier to clean indeed, but you have to wipe it down after every 1 or 2 bowls. The Mighty is a bit more involved to clean, but only once a week is sufficient. Flavor is one factor, but longevity is more important to me. The first few hits on a Mighty taste great, but then it keeps delivering dense vapor for 10 minutes after that (on a fully-loaded bowl). As far as the aesthetic appeal, that's cool and all, but I care more about functionality for sure. And the FF1 > FF2 in aesthetics IMO. Like @Pears, I appreciate the convenience of the Mighty. I wouldn't even say you're "lazy" for not wanting to stir a bowl every 2 minutes. It's not that stirring is hard, but when you are multi-tasking (which I pretty much always am), you're not gonna want to stop and stir.

So, as others have said, it comes down to your personal vaping style and subjective preferences. If you're a session vaper with high tolerance and a preference for convenience, get the Mighty. But really, get both so you can be ready for any vaping situation.

ronads

@Reggie Watts I appreciate your reply, and your reasoning is exactly why I wanted the mighty vape. However! I have recently jumped over to the microdosing thread, and I have discovered that use of less materials is much more effective for me. My arizer EQ is great for sitting taking a session, I love it dearly.

I'm looking for a device where I can take a puff before work, or after, not to get ripped, and just put it away. I have a cough, and I believe puffing away on the EQ all day every day is NOT helping. So I think the firefly 2 which is 100% convection, about small dosages and flavour, sounds excellent for a light use device. I have anxiety and I'm trying to use my weed durng the week like a medicine more. Breaking down one bowl into several mini sessions while being portable sounds like what I need!

I think for winter in the UK the firefly will do me, as I will be inside most of the time, near my house (aka near my desktop). I think I'll get the firefly2 now, and save for the mighty for summer. (For camping and other shit!)

I think I'll go Firefly 2, Mighty, then upgrade my EQ to the cloud EVO. Then file for bankruptcy!
:D

EDIT- Does anyone know if the FF2 can do solid hash? Can the mighty? I know they can do concentrates. Would I just crumble some on a pad ?

flipjoe

So i'm thinking about getting a cheap new phone to use the app. Can you say which android version works more reliable with the app, 5 or 6?

flipjoe,

HighGuy

Hi All - first time poster, long time lurker. Am considering a FF2 purchase after having followed this thread for the past 2 months. My question might be off-topic, but I'd like the community's help here... why is the general viewpoint of this vape AMAZING on this site yet on VapeLife, all they do is poo on it? It's become very confusing trying to synthesize the consensus opinion and hoping some of you can shed light on it.

HighGuy,
Reactions: ronads

Cl4ud3

Go back through the thread you will find many many people who didn't like it before the software update.
The consensus here seems to be stick it on high and boost and its good.

The VapeLife forum is smaller and so you are getting more people posting problems there as they bought the device off his review.

If asked for my opinion I will state for concentrates it is amazing, but for flower its hit and miss and to try the device if you can before buying it.

My opinion on the device hasn't changed, its still overpriced to me, still not fit for purpose if its so far out of tolerance I need to boost it to get it to work properly. I want to know what temp I'm vaping at.

I don't see the point in posting my negative opinions over and over so I don't normally post much about it.

Cl4ud3,

sixstringsmash

So I just figured I would share with you all about this invaluable little packing and tamping tool I have been using with my firefly lately. It cost five bucks on amazon and has made my firefly packing and stirring experience much better.
611RkgEVYdL._SL1500_.jpg

If you just search tobacco tamping tool on Amazon it should be the first result. This thing is just so much more convenient than that little plastic pick FF gives you. I use the shovel to load my bowl, the pick to stir it and the tamper to tamp it down. Really has made the FF2 experience much easier and more convenient in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom