The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim-bob

This is what I'm thinking too. Unless I become convinced that the plain old vape experience is far superior with the FF2. So far, reading through much of this thread, I'm not so convinced.
For me the FF1 was a deeply frustrating vaporizer. When all the elements lined up properly it was a great experience, but there were so many little things that could get in the way. I went through two warranty units and my ff1 is currently NFG, but the idea of an ff1 with the kinks worked out was appealing enough to me to preorder on day 0.

The FF2 still suffers from my absolute least favorite firefly issue - its 'battery meter' is exactly as functional as the battery meter that the FF1 didn't even have. The experience of having a full charge reported, going in for your first hit, and watching it blink a few times until it gets up to temp and then just blinks red at you is one of the most aggravating vaporizer-related things I put up with. The ff2 includes a second battery, but Firefly Inc continues to troll their users by making them purchase the external charger and its associated power supply separately, when they choose to make them available.

Sorry if I sound bitter about the battery issues. I am. I absolutely hate it and I don't understand why in 2016 they are having so much trouble determining whether a battery is charged or not.

However, even in light of how much I hate the battery issues (have i mentioned the battery issue? I hate it.) I still bring the ff2 with me for extended stays out of town as my sole vaporizer, so it's really doing a lot of things right. I was absolutely OK with the money I spent on it at release, and this firmware/app update has made it significantly better.

I'm going to contact them tomorrow and see what they can do about my FF1. But in all honesty, if I was offered a chance to upgrade from a brand new rock solid FF1 to an FF2 for a hundred bucks, I'd do it without blinking.

jim-bob,
I have it at 111% but I dont use it at high.
Medium or medium high generally speaking. I have used it at high to see what its like but I am wary of combustion so I dont generally leave it at high.

So this is what I don't understand. If you use 111% on medium or medium high, why wouldn't you just go to medium high or high instead? It seems as though it's accomplishing roughly the same thing give or take a few degrees.

doomsdalicious,
@doomsdalicious Bcause of the heating algorithm.

But isn't it just this as others have pointed out? Maybe I'm just too dumb to understand...

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

11% 377 400 422 444 466
10% 374 396 418 440 462
9% 371 392 414 436 458
8% 367 389 410 432 454
7% 364 385 407 428 449
6% 360 382 403 424 445
5% 357 378 399 420 441
4% 354 374 395 416 437
3% 350 371 391 412 433
2% 347 367 388 408 428
1% 343 364 384 404 424
0% 340 360 380 400 420
-1% 337 356 376 396 416
-2% 333 353 372 392 412
-3% 330 349 369 388 407
-4% 326 346 365 384 403
-5% 323 342 361 380 399
-6% 320 338 357 376 395
-7% 316 335 353 372 391
-8% 313 331 350 368 386
-9% 309 328 346 364 382
-10% 306 324 342 360 378
-11% 303 320 338 356 374

The above options in order:

doomsdalicious,

blue80217

blue80217
I have the ff2 and I was useing some dry pot and I got a hole lot of vaper and then the pot cought fire,has anyone had this promblem with thirst and can this be dangerous,Thanks for all your input ,I have learned a lot on this sight

blue80217,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I have the ff2 and I was useing some dry pot and I got a hole lot of vaper and then the pot cought fire,has anyone had this promblem with thirst and can this be dangerous,Thanks for all your input ,I have learned a lot on this sight

If you pack tight, and use the High temp setting, yes, you can cause combustion with extended draws. Try shorter hits at that heat level.

Dangerous? Not at all, but you risk inhaling smoke rather than vapor.

mitchgo61,

chaosst33l

Hey guys,
Can someone explain this "learning curve" to me?

Just received my firefly 2 in the mail a couple days ago. I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed. I've heard AMAZING things about this vape. So much I bought one, even though I have an arizer air(which worked every way I expected it to). The main problem about the firefly is the "learning curve". As soon as I got it, I gave my girlfriend it, (I had to drive so I wanted her to use it to see how much it smelled). Nothing came out. Figured it was user error and I tried it. Got a decent sized cloud. Not vapejuice big, but still decent for a flower vape. So I gave it back to her, still nothing. Then I tried again. Nothing.
This goes on for a while and every now and then we get some decent vapor, the other times we just get absolutely nothing.

Now I'm pretty much convinced that I got a dud, but looking at some videos this SEEMS to be normal? I see people taking long draws (10+ seconds) to get visible vapor. If I draw for 10+ seconds, and create an almost air tight seal with my mouth around the mouthpiece(avoiding pulling any outside air), then yes, I can get some alright clouds, probably the same amount I would from pulling on the arizer air for 5 seconds.

So can someone explain the "learning curve" and if any of this is normal? I'm unsure if I got a dud, or if I'm really just getting adjusted to the "learning curve". If I didn't know about the "learning curve" I would probably send it in as defective, and my girlfriend when using it just said, I like the other one better(the arizer air).

I do like how discreet it is and how little smell it produces. I do feel like this is something I could carry around and do in public without anyone noticing. Hell, I can sit in my house and nobody else can tell that I'm vaping flower.
I just want to make sure that this is normal, and that I did not receive a defective unit. I've been hearning bad things about Firefly's customer service and how slow and unresponsive it is, and I dont want to go through the hassle if my unit is fine, or even worse, I receive back an ACTUAL defective unit.

chaosst33l,
Reactions: blue80217

mitchgo61

Hey guys,

Just received my firefly 2 in the mail a couple days ago. I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed. I've heard AMAZING things about this vape. So much I bought one, even though I have an arizer air(which worked every way I expected it to). The main problem about the firefly is the "learning curve". As soon as I got it, I gave my girlfriend it, (I had to drive so I wanted her to use it to see how much it smelled). Nothing came out. Figured it was user error and I tried it. Got a decent sized cloud. Not vapejuice big, but still decent for a flower vape. So I gave it back to her, still nothing. Then I tried again. Nothing.
This goes on for a while and every now and then we get some decent vapor, the other times we just get absolutely nothing.

Now I'm pretty much convinced that I got a dud, but looking at some videos this SEEMS to be normal? I see people taking long draws (10+ seconds) to get visible vapor. If I draw for 10+ seconds, and create an almost air tight seal with my mouth around the mouthpiece(avoiding pulling any outside air), then yes, I can get some alright clouds, probably the same amount I would from pulling on the arizer air for 5 seconds.

Your FF sounds fine to me.

1. Set the temp on High via the app.
2. Pack the bowl densely, all the way to the rim.
3. Make sure the lid is on correctly. The draw should feel a bit restricted.
4. Make sure the mouthpiece is on correctly....push against it with your thumb to ensure it's snug.
5. Draw for at least 15 seconds, if not longer. Pull just to the point where you feel resistance.
6. Stir the load and re-pack it, densely again, every four hits.
7. If you still want thicker vapor, crank Power Tuning to 111...be careful not to combust.

You bet your ass you have to draw longer than an Air or Solo or Mighty. Just the way it works. Me, I draw till I feel vapor. And I don't stop until I'm feeling vapor or the timer shuts off the heater at 30.

The FF is a slow-long draw convection vape. Again, just how it works. You'll get the hang of it fast. There's a learning curve, but it's short and quick.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

blue80217

blue80217
Hey guys,

So can someone explain the "learning curve" and if any of this is normal? I'm unsure if I got a dud, or if I'm really just getting adjusted to the "learning curve". If I didn't know about the "learning curve" I would probably send it in as defective, and my girlfriend when using it just said, I like the other one better(the arizer air).

I do like how discreet it is and how little smell it produces. I do feel like this is something I could carry around and do in public without anyone noticing. Hell, I can sit in my house and nobody else can tell that I'm vaping flower.
I just want to make sure that this is normal, and that I did not receive a defective unit. I've been hearning bad things about Firefly's customer service and how slow and unresponsive it is, and I dont want to go through the hassle if my unit is fine, or even worse, I receive back an ACTUAL defective unit.

No its not you because I have the same promblem with my FF2,I really think the promlem is in the mouth peace,I hope that they find the problem.Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:

chaosst33l

Your FF sounds fine to me.

1. Set the temp on High via the app.
2. Pack the bowl densely, all the way to the rim.
3. Make sure the lid is on correctly. The draw should feel a bit restricted.
4. Make sure the mouthpiece is on correctly....push against it with your thumb to ensure it's snug.
5. Draw for at least 15 seconds, if not longer. Pull just to the point where you feel resistance.
6. Stir the load and re-pack it, densely again, every four hits.
7. If you still want thicker vapor, crank Power Tuning to 111...be careful not to combust.

You bet your ass you have to draw longer than an Air or Solo or Mighty. Just the way it works. Me, I draw till I feel vapor. And I don't stop until I'm feeling vapor or the timer shuts off the heater at 30.

The FF is a slow-long draw convection vape. Again, just how it works. You'll get the hang of it fast. There's a learning curve, but it's short and quick.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely try this and let you guys know.

another question also, Is it normal for the green light to shut off during a long pull? I doubt I've reached 30 seconds, but I have had the green light shut off during a long pull.

chaosst33l,

mitchgo61

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely try this and let you guys know.

another question also, Is it normal for the green light to shut off during a long pull? I doubt I've reached 30 seconds, but I have had the green light shut off during a long pull.

Yes, but it should be around 30...it's not exact though. I notice sometimes one of my fingers slips off the contact ever-so-slightly mid-hit causing the light to go out. Stupid, obvious point, but hey, we're stoners....make sure your fingers are on the buttons! :p:lol:

kcmochris

^ Was just writing a similar response. Yeah, it's usually 30 secs.
Whenever the light goes off sooner--or longer--than expected, it's simply my fingertips slipping off the contacts. Best of luck @chaosst33l!

But isn't it just this as others have pointed out? Maybe I'm just too dumb to understand...

No, no--I think most of us found the PT update confusing. Read below what Mitch wrote on this topic a couple of pages back.

OK I finally have a definitive answer on the Power Tuning feature, with regard to how it affects the heating algorithm:

"The power tuning feature only changes the applied power. The algorithm stays the same but all power output is bumped up or down based on the power tuning setting. So the algorithm is still adaptive and still functions the same way but the overall temp curve is bumped up or down since the power at every point is adjusted (with the PT feature)."

So basically, the email was a little misleading...the adaptive heating algorithm has always been in use in the FF2, only now you have nearly infinite possibilities for heat ranges thanks to all the gradient overlap with the PT feature.

Hope that was clear. :p:lol:

Last edited:
kcmochris,
Reactions: mitchgo61

petey

Thanks jim-bob. Could you clarify whether you're now satisfied with all the battery issues? :)
I'm going to contact them tomorrow and see what they can do about my FF1. But in all honesty, if I was offered a chance to upgrade from a brand new rock solid FF1 to an FF2 for a hundred bucks, I'd do it without blinking.
Is this because you think you'd be more likely to get a reliable, long-functioning FF2 than a FF1? Or is the vaping quality itself superior?

Not to minimize your frustrations, but the battery indicator wouldn't be a big factor for me. (I know there have been a lot of opinions about battery maintenance, but I've had no problems with simply keeping my (770) plugged in when not in use.)

petey,

This happened to me once. For some reason the FF kept climbing temp (blue light kept blinking) and combusted. I think I had let go of the buttons and repressed to reset the auto shutoff from what I remember. No issues since the update.

doomsdalicious,

Vaporcussion

Has anyone figured out where the two "air intake" holes in the front are routed to? The bowl or the mouthpiece?

Vaporcussion,

KLo

No Ember
Of course, you can use it without the app, it will still be on the last setting.

Not mine. Bane of my vaping trial with this unit. Probably Android related as someone pointed out. Could be a dud, but that would prove too many duds out there and that can't go down !?

After updating firmware, the bowl seems to crisp up nicer and goes a tad longer before timeout. But how good is it if the app inconsistently syncs? Might have to send this one in.

On the plus, overall device is top notch when working.

Please please please, TheFF, tighten up the app and we're solid. Flavor wise. Maintenance wise. Quality wise. You're nearly there.

KLo,

jay87

I've settled on 109% as my sweet spot for the concentrate setting. Lower than that and I feel like I miss out on some vapor, higher and the vapor starts to get too harsh and toasted.

Right at 109% though, it's a perfect ride from 1st hit to last.

Starts with visible light vapor, the second hit is a flavor explosion, the third hit signals lift off, the fourth hits you like the heavy hitter, the fifth hit is the finisher, exhaling a thick hot vapor cloud you know you got just what you asked for. A perfect ride. :love:

jay87,

BabaRobDass

I don't believe the percent power tune is necessarily related to the temp. It is a percent "power" bump. doesn't translate exactly to percent top temp increase in degrees. That's why you can tune it up but it is not the same as going up to the next heat level. Make sense? Who cares. I'm so high. :leaf::rofl::rofl::leaf:

Apexisto

I've heard that vapor quality is even better than in Mighty. Does somebody has any experiences regarding Mighty and Firefly 2? Which one better suits your needs?

Apexisto,
Reactions: ronads

ElPic

Take my money
I got my Firefly for a week now. Real good device! I already love the first Firefly so this one IMO is just a better version of the first unit... Better batterie Life, lighter and smaller, Heat up a bit faster, and a app to control your max temp...
Not a game changer over the first unit, but it perform a bit better and got better extraction. The batterie Life is the best update vs the first FF.
I have play with with the app and the power tuning thing but I really don't see the difference between med/high with some power tuning or simply High setting.... More testing needed..
I always use it on high setting and I control my hit like on the first unit with No problem!
It required a lot of stiring like the first FF, maybe more because of the higher heat i supposed, I stir every 3 hit, and got approximately 12 good it from 0.12g of coarse grind White Widow. The stiring needed make this unit a less portable unit than a Crafty IMO... But im not surprise.
If you can't get cloud with that unit, your doing something wrong for sure, I easily got crafty looking cloud at every draw with the Firefly 2. Regular speed, steady draw and well pack bowl is the key of success for me. I only reach the cutoff on my first draw.
It clearly the unit I will use home as daily driver now, the taste of this unit is clearly above everything I know to this world!
Can't wait to try my Dj Short Blueberry within +/- 65 days in that unit :drool:
The stiring thing don't bother me at home, it's more like a ritual for me... But on the road, I think the crafty is a better unit.
This unit is clealy not for everybody, technique and practice is needed...
The biggest downside of the unit is clearly is price IMO
I sell my Volcano to buy that Firefly, and I don't regret it at all... This unit better suit my need but the price tag is over the top...

Last edited:

zerodays

technical vape enthusiast
Hello my FF2/vapor enthusiasts,

Been a few weeks and finally had time to catch up on the latest post! Sounds like everyone's enjoying the new app/FW update (man, did i drive home fast from work that day, so stokedddd).

I have noticed less (or sometimes no) 'wake up' needed with the new firmware. before the 'double tap to wake' before actually starting the session was required, now it seems I can pick it up and just go for it. Kinda nice...
I did a fresh charge on the new FW and was watchful of the battery level accuracy, did not see much change in accuracy. It eventually died right after showing 2 blinks / 50% full in app...though better as before it was just 4 blinks or dead, only.
I've been power tuning down in Medium actually, to get around 375F-ish. (not a cloud chaser but cool light easy-on-the-lungs vaper) but a nice feature if you want to focus on a specific temp for certain cannabinoids/terps.

Overall had the unit for about 2months now and I LOVE IT. Expensive? sure. but I haven't even touched my convection desktop vapes at ALL...and I'm picky...it's making me smoke more than I used to, just cause I want to use the device and see that damn glow :). Even my GF likes it and was not a huge vape fan before.

Question for you guys-

I don't see a way to post on the Classifieds ("(You have insufficient privileges to post here.)"), can anyone advise?

Modnote: Edited to comply with forum rules

Last edited by a moderator:
zerodays,

jdot23

Hey so I was just cleaning my unit and I noticed after a little crack occurred in the glass near the mouthpiece. I attached a pic below. Do you guys think it is necessary to send it in for repair? How long does the repair usually take? Thanks for your help

https://goo.gl/photos/XFf2D9V8kQukmbRf9

jdot23,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom