1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by RobDaBomb, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Lozo

Lozo Member

I've just checked the firmware this morning and my FF2 downloaded a new update. I had checked a couple of days ago so it's either new as of the last few days or I just messed up checking it out correctly before.

vapen00b and JCat like this.
  2. petey

petey Active Member

I've been leaving mine on the charger routinely because that's what FF recommends in their instructions. Is it proven that your method is significantly better? Is FF just trying to get us to wear out our batteries?

3. Boden

Boden Aspie polymath

Li cells are the least stressed at 3.7V. Leaving them fully charged or discharged will wear them out faster than half charged.

That’s why you don’t leave laptops plugged in, or keep cell phones on the charger.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    AJS likes this.
  4. Reggie Watts

Reggie Watts Well-Known Member

Yeah there was an update recently, I think just for bug fixes

5. Boden

Boden Aspie polymath

Mine updated Thursday

6. Polarbearboy

Polarbearboy Tokin' Away Since 1967

My FF2 arrived back this afternoon after the $30 clogged screen service. I was impressed with how quickly they turned it around. On the other hand, I am experiencing absolutely no decrease in draw resistance. If anything, it may be slightly worse. The hard lungs to diaphragm pulling to get some air and vapor is rather unpleasant to me as an ex-smoker. That was one of its former advantages, that it cooled the smoke so well that it was as easy on the chest as a double bong. Since I've had mine for 18 months and used it as my daily(or nightly) driver for much of that time, I can't remember if was always this hard to draw when it was new and I don't know anyone with a new one for me to compare. Yes, it heated up in less than 5 seconds!. Yes, I got wrecked and the taste is superb. But it's just not enjoyable. I'd rather wait two minutes for my Crafty to heat up...and know I'm going to get a good big effortless hit that is only marginally less tasty. It was worth it to see if the screen service made it better.

I formerly enjoyed my FF2 quite a bit. But it doesn't suck anymore so it sucks. Its going out beyond the spare parts area, out back into the "emergency use only" section of the big draw.(no pun intended!)

PS: I've already partially disassembled the thing. My 70-year old hands will not poke a fine needle in those little holes which I can barely see with my glasses on.

7. Boden

Boden Aspie polymath

Have you removed the mouthpiece screen? Found that opened it a noticeable amount.

8. Polarbearboy

Polarbearboy Tokin' Away Since 1967

I bought two new ones, though the original was cleaned regularly and wasn't clogged.

I would not recommend the FF2 to daily users, unless they really only take a toke or two(not bowl or two!) per day. For the weekend and occasional user, its a real jewel of a toy.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    kcmochris likes this.
  9. Modicum

Modicum Well-Known Member

hey mitchgo61, could you please tell me the most current firmware that you have downloaded from the new app. and if you will the # of the fw it replaced. You are truly the "Lord of the FireFlies"

10. Reggie Watts

Reggie Watts Well-Known Member

When I use my FF2, I always vape the whole bowl in a single session! Gets me pretty blasted. Daily user here.

It isn't my primary vape, though, if that's what you mean.

mixchu69 and Brewervapesalot like this.
  11. Brewervapesalot

Brewervapesalot Active Member

I agree; it's a great vape but not the only vaporizer I want to use.

It lets occasional, or new, users titrate flower vapor and find that nice high without over doing it. It's awesome for that and to show off flavor.

Light or occasional user can save what isn't spent for later because it's convection and cools quick. (I dont do this, just like Reggie; rather i enjoy what I want and pack fresh later)

It also lets daily drivers get as well-medicated as any other vape. It will just take a couple-three bowls.

But Reggie is right; it's not the best daily driver for heavy users. Can be. But a good plug in like an Evo is better suited for that. But I don't always want the Evo either.

Really, and I think Vapecritic said this, the firefly 2 is the vaporizing equivalent to smoking out of a nice (glass) bowl. IMO, maybe more like a nice glass bubbler because it's pretty cool vapor and great flavor.

Problem is, just like smoking, no one wants the same old same old all the time. So if you want a vaporizing glass bowl/bubbler--that's a firefly 2. You'll still want to take a bong hit, every once in a while, and you'll still want to smoke a joint socially too. The later in the vaporizing world would be like a pax 2 (wasteful of flower, pretty hot, but on the go easy and still wonderful). The bong hit of vaporizing is an Evo.

All of them have their time and place :)

Pimpslapper, mitchgo61, Boden and 2 others like this.
  12. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

Looks like the new one is 1.32. The app version is 1.3.3(3). I don’t remember the previous version.

Modicum likes this.
  13. Boden

Boden Aspie polymath

Mine says firmware 3.27 / app 3.1

14. Pimpslapper

Pimpslapper Well-Known Member

Mine updated today but no indication of the changes.. .

15. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

I just updated it, again. My app version didn’t change. Firmware says 1.33 now.

So....hmm. Whatever.

16. petey

petey Active Member

I was on the fence about the FF2, knowing how finicky the FF1 could be, but after I got used to it I'm glad I got it. In fact, I find myself enjoying it almost daily now. But you're right, I do sometimes get the urge to use one of my other vapes instead.

Brewervapesalot, mixchu69 and JCat like this.
  17. lazylathe

lazylathe Almost there...

This thread is reeeeeeeaaaaalllllllly quiet!
    Does anyone still use and love their FF2??
    Heard the new firmware update makes quite a difference to how it works.

I still break out my FF1 for some nostalgia every now and then!

IIRC i can use the FF1 batteries for the FF2?
    If so that would give me 2 FF2, 1 high capacity FF1 and 1 regular FF1, should be good for batteries!

I have a blue unit on the way to me!
    Guess i should start reading the thread! LOL!

vapen00b, Poostuff, mixchu69 and 3 others like this.
  18. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

In the niche of distillate between two pads, I love it. For flower or other concentrate use, not so much.

But, since I pretty much run it on high all the time when I use it, the update did not seem to change much for me.

19. Pimpslapper

Pimpslapper Well-Known Member

I still use mine regularly and love it!

JCat, Poostuff, lazylathe and 2 others like this.
  20. cheeseholidays

cheeseholidays Member

Anybody notice anything different with the new firmware?

21. Boden

Boden Aspie polymath

Use it every day

JCat and lazylathe like this.
  22. lazylathe

lazylathe Almost there...

I am pretty much 100% flower, so we will see how it goes!

JCat and OldNewbie like this.
  23. Boden

Boden Aspie polymath

I think it works best in sets of two.

Two long draws, maybe three if it was higher in water. Then a stir. Set it down or go again.

I start the evening with it. Good for having a slow moment.

JCat likes this.
  24. Poostuff

Poostuff Well-Known Member

I use mine. It’s a bit fiddly to use & I find it needs a wipe down after every use with flower. The base of the bowl at the edge is almost impossible to clean but it’s unique & fun to use at home if you have the time.
    The updated app basically only offers calibration which I think is a fine temp adjustment.
    The batteries seem to be the same shape as the original & they do fit & work in my knock off OG model so you won’t have a problem there.

lazylathe likes this.
  25. Lozo

Lozo Member

The FF2 was/is my first vape coming from combustion which I'm happy to report I've left behind. Just hard changing habits but I'm feeling good about it. I do enjoy the FF2 but for me regardless of how much I've experimented with it I just find the draws too restrictive for me to enjoy the Firefly all times.

So as many have done I'm increasing the hole size but i'm getting a few disks laser cut with slightly bigger holes and different holes patterns. I'm going to see what works best for me and I'll report back on here if I can get a nice balance between draw and effect. I should have the new disks here next week. It's super easy to take the FF2 apart.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors