1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by RobDaBomb, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Polarbearboy

Polarbearboy Tokin' Away Since 1967

Last Wed., I sent my FF2 in for the pre-paid $30. screen unclogging service. Its a year-and-a-half old and experienced daily use for much of that time. According to tracking, it got there on Sat. Both phone and emails with FF had said that the turn around for service is about two weeks. I just got an email from FF CustServ that my "replacement" has just been sent to FedEx to me. So either they opened the package this morning and immediately did the service or they looked at it and decided that it should be replaced. Either way, I'm impressed that they acted so quickly. As noted above, if $30 brings this $329 device back up to standard, I would consider that a great bargain. If they replaced the core unit, I will sing FF's praises to the heavens! I will let you know what happens.

vapen00b, mixchu69, Mr. Me2 and 3 others like this.
  2. Boden

Boden Aspie polymath

I’ve added two layers of SS screen to the bottom of the bowl to aid in heat diffusion. Works a treat.

I took a 1” screen and folded it in half then using the concentrate pad as a template cut the screen with the fold slightly inside the diameter so I can get a pick under it for removing.

Don’t need to stir nearly as often.

kcmochris, Reggie Watts and vapen00b like this.
  3. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member Accessory Maker

It's really easy to disassemble as well, and thoroughly clean yourself. Took me about half an hour from start to finish the first time I did it. There's a good youtube video that talks through most of it ... I posted about it earlier in the thread too.

If you guys are really interested, I'm sure I could take it apart and take pics/document the whole process and post ... I did it right after I bought it, since I bought used, and was very pleasantly surprised at how straight forward/easy it was which is great because that way I don't have to overly-worry about potentially clogging it, as I know I can quickly remedy the situation if needed.

4. Polarbearboy

Polarbearboy Tokin' Away Since 1967

I watched the video and then got the right torx screwdriver and partially disassembled it. The problem for me was poking the holes, all of which still showed light when turned on in the dark. The smallest needle in my sewing kit was too big, but the bigger problem for me was just seeing the holes and then holding the needle steady. I used to be a skilled detail worker--but those days are gone. Again, as I said above, $30 is cheap for the service as not only did I pay $329 for my FF2, but I have the case, extra batteries and charger, mouthpieces, other color cover, etc. I'm in this for close to $500. I'm invested. $30 is easy. Otherwise it and its associated stuff were just getting consigned to the back of the drawer. Which would be too bad, as its a stunningly well designed and produced item, on par with high-end camera gear. We are in a rapidly evolving time in vapeing technology and user convenience--I'm sure the FF3 will resolve the core problem issues--those that didn't get solved by software fixes--of the 2 as the 2 did for the original FF. Isn't it fun!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  5. JCat

I agree that $30 is a great deal. My issue would more be the time involved with shipping and all ... I would be looking at ~$25-$35 shipping for 4-6 business days to the USA from here in Northern Canada, then it would be there for 2 weeks, then it would take 2-3 weeks to get back to me (or 1-2 weeks if they are willing to spend $30 USD to send it to me ... ie. at a loss, so likely 2-3 weeks).

So actual cost for me would likely be in excess of $70 CAD and it would likely be a 5-6 week turn-around :doh:

6. Brewervapesalot

Brewervapesalot Active Member

Was your unit not one of the first sold? The reason I ask is that I still believe my first unit had smaller holes than my second purchased months later.... could explain the new unit you got...

Amazon has small needles for a couple bucks that will clean the holes or if tapped with a tack hammer make the holes bigger.

I'll mod my second firefly 2 and record doing it for you. Just don't make fun of my wife's small purple tack hammer... lol..

Some pics and video below.... 5 minute mod... I use on high heat with 111% "calibration"... and it makes great vapor with a much easier draw.

I haven't used it on lower temp settings, though, and not sure if it makes good vapor on those settings...

I just was at a point of don't use or make an easier draw....

TAP VERY LIGHTLY.

I also think that the divots help the holes stay clean longer...

Edit: I tried low and medium heat settings. It's great... Same vaporizer just easier to pull from. Then again, I've kinda forgotten what it use to vape like 'cause I hadn't used the un-modded one for so long... it works wonderfully, anyhow...

https://dropfile.to/0XcpqzD

https://dropfile.to/sUqzsSs

https://dropfile.to/1cb2FUN

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    JCat and vapen00b like this.
  7. buckhakeesah

buckhakeesah Well-Known Member

You know I called and talk to tech support/customer service at FF about the holes being bigger in newer updated models. I wanted to upgrade and get the restrictor plate with larger holes. They told me nothing has changed from when they launched this device. So something is off and I'd like some clarity if some people are aware of this difference in restrictor plate screen holes.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    JCat likes this.
  8. Brewervapesalot

My observation was that the holes were bigger. It was pretty plain to me visually and in terms of draw resistance.

That said, I have nothing else to base this statement on. I took pictures a while back, I think still on this forum.

Now both my units i have increased the hole size with a small needle and light taps with a tack hammer to each hole. Just works better with easier draw restistance.

buckhakeesah and JCat like this.
  9. JCat

I never used a tack hammer ... I just removed the screen, cleaned with 99% ISO, and then used a small needle (from a cheap Walmart misc sewing needle dial) to poke the holes clear before cleaning a 2nd time with 99% ISO. (I was just trying to get it to stock clean/air-flow ... wasn't trying for bigger holes as such)

Bamafan86 and vapen00b like this.
  10. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

Received my FF2 and must say that my first experience with it has been extremely underwhelming. Not sure what exactly i'm doing wrong, but i'm not getting even CLOSE to the concentrate experience that i've seen in videos, etc. I am running the latest firmware/app.

Battery is charged, temp 500f and calibration set to max. Can't get anymore heat than that right? I loaded 0.05g of rosin, and smeared it all on top of the pad and then stuck another on top. Seated it properly down.

I heated for a few seconds before I started to draw, and I did a combo of cigar pulls and slow long draw until I saw some vapour. Then I went for the money shot! I was rewarded with a light, tasty hit.... and that's how they all went from then on.

I have good lungs, I took long slow hits....didn't even find the draw restriction too bad, until my neck muscles started to tense and hurt!

I want to love this vape, I really do....I love the form factor, quality, vapour path etc, but I need to get some quality vapour out of my rosin instead of waste another .1g of it which would have sent me to the moon and back (a few times!) with the e-nano.

@JCat please help! ;)

JCat likes this.
  11. Goita

Goita Member

I only do dry herb but have found the power tuning makes a big difference too cloud size - not sure if the same applies to rosin but might be worth a go.

JCat and biohacker like this.
  12. Boden

Boden Aspie polymath

Try just using one pad :)

vapen00b, JCat and biohacker like this.
  13. mixchu69

mixchu69 Well-Known Member

like @Boden stated, i would try one pad to see if there is any difference....or maybe try using a lil more rosin...i had similar experiences with the hercules, which uses a titanium mesh pad heated by the ceramic rod (u prob already know this @biohacker) and they always suggested that the coil be saturated and then add more on top... just a few ideas that might help

14. JCat

Very strange man ... very strange indeed ... I honestly don't get it. I get huge clouds! (2 x 20 second draws and I finish off my .05g rosin (estimate) with 2 really nice clouds ... first one huge, 2nd one nice but thinner and not as tasty ... since the 1st one was so big!)

I wonder if you somehow got one that's defective? It's getting a good seal with the lid and the mouthpiece? Maybe the mouthpiece isn't fully snapped in or something? Did you try blocking the back intake holes and inhaling and seeing if there are leaks?

I'd come over to test, but obviously the 1,000km each way is a bit long of a drive! I'll be down South in April though if you haven't resolved by then.

Just doesn't sound right though man ... should give massive clouds ....

vapen00b, mixchu69 and biohacker like this.
  15. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

I really like the two-pad idea that I learned from this thread. It keeps the waste (and, cleanup) down so much I can't see going back.

But, it does take a bit to get things going. No longer will be the cigar puff a few times to melt and then the money pull in the next cycle. It takes a bit more work to get the chamber heated up enough. I don't usually get a great hit for a few cycles. It's almost like using a DT v1 for flower. You've got to get the heat going before you're going to get good extraction.

16. JCat

I usually do a ~5 second pull first, before my 2 hits per session. (that first ~5 sec gets things heated/melted and ready to go ... I don't have to do that because I can still get a huge cloud without, as I'll draw for the whole length until it times out on both hits, but I usually do anyways ...)

17. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

WOW! It's NOT defective! :rofl:

Thanks so much for the prompt responses fellas! :rockon:

I think all it took was to SLOW my draw down and not FIGHT it! :lol: Not used to such a restricted draw, but when you don't pull too hard and fight it, it's really not that bad.

@JCat I tried blocking the air intake holes....made no difference? :shrug: Still could get could get air, not as much obviously, but not stopped. Hard to tell with such a restricted draw lol

I have more testing to do, but this dab style hit was with one pad, but I find it very messy to deal with, and hard to handle. I still can't get the pad to "stick" on the bottom like they say. I think maybe once I was able to. Does it matter if it's on an angle? So i'll try the double pads as you suggest, seems way easier to manage and load! I can see myself buying a lot of these! Especially if they keep things clean!

I think I may have to dial DOWN the calibration now, as that hit was like off an enail.... serious stab to my lungs, but now i'm feeling enail EFFECTS! lol WOW!

I think i'm going to need the external charger and a lot of batteries and pads!! :brow:

EDIT

@JCat what temps are you using? Not sure my lungs can take it without water, so time to dial down that calibration.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    kcmochris, vapen00b, JCat and 6 others like this.
  18. Boden

Boden Aspie polymath

:D

It’s one of those vapes that gives you that ‘Oh there it is’ feeling when you find the sweet spot.

19. JCat

I'm using full 111% when outside, but when in warmer temps, 105% (both at 500F)

Edit: I have 16 pads! :clap:

Edit edit: I just tried to block the air intake to test ... that obviously doesn't work as I can't get a seal so air gets in elsewhere ... but anyways ... lid and mouthpiece seal are super important

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    vapen00b and biohacker like this.
  20. ReifierReefer

ReifierReefer Well-Known Member

Question(s). What is your ritual of using the FF2 like? Must you focus on your session while using it or can you sip casually while watching TV, crafting trinkets, etc once you get the draw down. I'm thinking about picking up something that can be used in this casual fashion. Currently I use the solo for this purpose and I'd prefer a vape that I don't have to constantly hit to avoid wasting precious goodies, on the flipside the solo is great for this purpose because I don't have to consciously think about how I'm hitting it. I really like the idea of the FF2 based on what I've read, but would like to hear your style of use with this vape. I'm looking for great vapor quality with minimum effort and maximum efficiency.

21. buckhakeesah

buckhakeesah Well-Known Member

Perfect for the couch sessions once you get your draw down. Pick it back up when you want some more. Tap, tap the side of the bowl to stir without removing your lid. Keep going...enjoy!

22. Boden

Boden Aspie polymath

My nightly is about an hour before I sit down I put the FF2 on the charger next to my recliner.

Once I’m done for the day I plop my butt down and load up The FF2. May take a puff or two then set it down. Then whenever I feel like a puff I take one. When it gets toasty reload. Then at the end of the night clean it out and let it set on the table. It’s generally at about half charge at this point and since Li-ion cells like sitting at around 3.7V I leave it that way until the next night.

That’s about it.

Oh yeah, the first 10 second pull on a cold bowl is a preheat puff.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    OldNewbie likes this.
  23. Brewervapesalot

I really enjoy the firefly 2. But for the money, it doesnt sound like to me that it's what you are looking for.

Sure, you can get into a rhythm with a firefly 2. But it's not a "no brain operation" device. It's an appreciate the flavor of your weed device.

My routine (1) took a while to get down, and (2) is like this:

Clean it with an alcohol wipe. One will do. Takes a minute at most. Use pretty loosely ground weed. Dry works best for vapor. Fill loose just over the brim (aside: or if you widen the holes of the chamber with a needle, which i recommend if you don't mind killing the warranty, then overfill a little bit more), clean any material off the edges where the seal is, put the cover on, set for high at 111%.

Make sure the lid is on tight. Then hold on for about 5 seconds. Pull long and slow. Stir. Repeat until cashed. Second or third bowl, put on low heat and enjoy the flavor. Low works best if warmed up on a higher setting.

This is a pretty fool proof way to use it. Great hits. Almost brainless.... but.....

For the cost of a firefly 2, since you're sitting on the couch, get a vapexhale cloud evo and spend just a little more money. Assuming you have a coffee table, you can use that table for all kinds of fun glass pieces and such. Also the vapor is way, way, way, bigger, and at low settings, it's one of the only vapes that competes with the taste produced by a firefly 2. The evo also can handle material of any grind, or no grind, and any moisture content, even fresh material (if you want to, hell I tried it, lol)

Hands down better vape for a couch is the Evo. If "easy" is what you want, the draw resistance on the Evo is multiple times easier.

But, if you want a portable unit for say taking from one couch to another couch, house to cabin, or house to buddy's house--then firefly 2 is a great choice. Get a decent case and the external charger with an extra battery or two.

The firefly 2 is not an "on the go" vape though. Too much thought and care has to be taken when reloading. And it will not survive a drop on a hard surface. It's glass and fragile.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    JCat, buckhakeesah, OldNewbie and 2 others like this.
  24. Boden

Boden Aspie polymath

I’ll agree with that. My Vapor Tower, which I’ve had since 04’ will easily outperform any battery vape and the majority of new plugins.

Apples to oranges though.

JCat and Brewervapesalot like this.
  25. scouse

scouse Member

I don't know if I can help you but I have COPD bad lungs so I can only take one big blast then put it down for a HR or even a day and don't waste nothing this is for wax this is why I bought mine being on demand a mighty or volcano would waste all my product so it's great for this but it's expensive

JCat likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors