The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
So update now that I've tried the FF2, can't believe how lightweight it is (I guess bc of the metal) and the new case is really nice. The magnetic collar stay stirrer works but not quite as nicely as on the FF1 since I guess the whole lid isn't magnetic this time. Taste and effect is great and much smoother than the 1 imo

Draw restriction is a little much though, gotta go so so so slow. They did put a screen in the bowl though so that could be a factor. Also, the mouthpiece screen could need cleaning, but its in there very secure, any tips for getting out? Dont wanna force it and risk damage...

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Draw restriction is a little much though, gotta go so so so slow. They did put a screen in the bowl though so that could be a factor. Also, the mouthpiece screen could need cleaning, but its in there very secure, any tips for getting out? Dont wanna force it and risk damage...

Mine tends to pop out when I use the brush to clean out the mouthpiece. But if not, tweezers are very helpful. I find it's the only tool that works for re-seating it....my fingers are just too clumsy.

Definitely clean out that screen regularly....helps a lot with draw restriction. :2c:

EDIT....I see our posts are crossing paths. :lol: To get the whole mouthpiece out....hold the body in one hand firmly. In the other grasp the mouthpiece between your thumb and index finger. Try to push one horizontal side towards the FF body while trying to pivot the other side out...i.e., attempt to rock it back and forth, sideways, till one side comes out....then the whole piece pulls out. Good luck!

Shit Snacks

Mine tends to pop out when I use the brush to clean out the mouthpiece. But if not, tweezers are very helpful. I find it's the only tool that works for re-seating it....my fingers are just too clumsy.

Definitely clean out that screen regularly....helps a lot with draw restriction. :2c:

EDIT....I see our posts are crossing paths. :lol: To get the whole mouthpiece out....hold the body in one hand firmly. In the other grasp the mouthpiece between your thumb and index finger. Try to push one horizontal side towards the FF body while trying to pivot the other side out...i.e., attempt to rock it back and forth, sideways, till one side comes out....then the whole piece pulls out. Good luck!

Yeah no the mouthpiece though, do you just pull real hard? Can't get to the screen yet

Shit Snacks,

Shit Snacks

Hahaha yeah thanks man! That's what u was hoping to hear. And thank you @turk for helping me notice his edit! Also now I've got plenty of tips for the screen too if we need them lol

Still hoping to try the low temps but my brothers seem to like to leave it at med-high (400 right?) with tuning at 100%, though we tried 103% last night and didn't notice a difference... Are you guys using a screen in the bowl like they are or nah? Keeps it cleaner?

turk

turk
....honestly I haven't done herbs in mine in sometime....for me the ff2 is used for concentrates...I have other options for flower...glad we were able to help.

mitchgo61

Still hoping to try the low temps but my brothers seem to like to leave it at med-high (400 right?) with tuning at 100%, though we tried 103% last night and didn't notice a difference... Are you guys using a screen in the bowl like they are or nah? Keeps it cleaner?
I don't use any additional screen on top of the restrictor plate. You may have seen recent posts whereby folks have (quite resourcefully) removed the plate and installed a more traditional mesh screen, but the results have been mixed...because the plate is meant to restrict the airflow, the vapor quality suffers when you un-restrict it, if you will. :p But one of the problems these guys were trying to solve was the potential clogging of the small holes in the plate. I personally haven't noticed it, and it seems to stay pretty clean for me with just an iso wipe every few bowls, but it's possible they are more clogged than when brand new and I'm just not noticing it.

One thing's for sure...anything that changes the airflow can have a deleterious effect on the kind of vapor the FF generates. So I'm happy to throw herb directly on the plate, as intended, and just try to keep it as clean as I can.

turk

turk
....have to be conscious of putting too muck concentrate on pad and having some spill over into those small holes...diligent cleaning prevents this....

turk,

KLo

No Ember

Resistence seems by design. Too little restriction may disrupt the mothership :science: Depending on strain, herbal densitiy, etc., draw is nice when slow enough to stay cool on the throat. Goal being never hot nor harsh or dry. Simple qtip swipe cleans flower only bowls

Are you guys using a screen in the bowl like they are or nah? Keeps it cleaner?

Out the box for my needs

KLo

No Ember
Yeah, saw that new update. Any reports ? I'm good with the former version. Is there a need to update ? Unclear. Maybe Firefly can be more app descriptive in future updates. Bug fixes and what?

@Shit Snacks et al, I failed to mention last post .. blowing through the mouthpiece with the unit upside down has cleared my mp screen for 3 mos now. No iso, no brushing, no removal. Easy upkeep with dry herb. Not sure about concentrate buildup.

Last edited:
KLo,
Yeah, saw that new update. Any reports ? I'm good with the former version. Is there a need to update ? Unclear. Maybe Firefly can be more app descriptive in future updates. Bug fixes and what?

The update worked for me. It is usually good to install updates. Any problems in the functions related to the app they are going to want u to move to the latest version. there are reasons to not upgrade but i like to c problems sooner rather than later. it is possible that future firmware will require a new app. i have many backups so i not worry much but others might have reservations. it is also possible that yhe device will work better.

MonsterWithoutBorders,
Reactions: kcmochris

kcmochris

I've noticed improvement(s) with each update via iOS (e.g., battery improvement)....but I think most agree there are circumstantial reasons to not upgrade.

kcmochris,
There seems to some negative hysteria over the FF2. Without rehashing all of the debates, I'm curious to hear from those you who've used the FF2 after success with the FF1. I realize some people never liked the FF1, so it's my guess the FF2 wouldn't be a good fit either. Again, without discussing the merits of Firefly's required "technique," is the FF2 a significant improvement over the FF1. Just to be clear. I've been a light to moderate user of the FF1 for a couple of years. It's my only vape. I've tried the Pax1, Titan/Vuber type generic, and Magic Flight. With the exception of battery degradation (to be expected), it has worked well for me. As a solo user, I appreciate having control over my sessions. I can hit as much or little as I want. The vapor is never harsh. I usually get some clouds, but even when I don't, it seems to working. It's easy to clean and just works for me. With 3 years remaining on my FF1 warranty, I don't know if it's worth adding a FF2. Thoughts?

Legal in Washington State,

mitchgo61

There seems to some negative hysteria over the FF2. Without rehashing all of the debates, I'm curious to hear from those you who've used the FF2 after success with the FF1. I realize some people never liked the FF1, so it's my guess the FF2 wouldn't be a good fit either. Again, without discussing the merits of Firefly's required "technique," is the FF2 a significant improvement over the FF1. Just to be clear. I've been a light to moderate user of the FF1 for a couple of years. It's my only vape. I've tried the Pax1, Titan/Vuber type generic, and Magic Flight. With the exception of battery degradation (to be expected), it has worked well for me. As a solo user, I appreciate having control over my sessions. I can hit as much or little as I want. The vapor is never harsh. I usually get some clouds, but even when I don't, it seems to working. It's easy to clean and just works for me. With 3 years remaining on my FF1 warranty, I don't know if it's worth adding a FF2. Thoughts?

I can't answer the "worth it" question.....that's a personal decision only you can make. But if you like the FF1, and find it works well for you, you will probably really love the 2. It's smaller, lighter, easier to use, and is way more flexible thanks to the app and its ability to dial in very granular temp changes.

The FF2 isn't for everyone, but it is likely to be loved by most everyone who is already a user and a fan of the FF1. :2c:

I can't answer the "worth it" question.....that's a personal decision only you can make. But if you like the FF1, and find it works well for you, you will probably really love the 2. It's smaller, lighter, easier to use, and is way more flexible thanks to the app and its ability to dial in very granular temp changes.

The FF2 isn't for everyone, but it is likely to be loved by most everyone who is already a user and a fan of the FF1. :2c:

Thanks for the thoughtful reply mitchgo61 . Now I'm tempted!

Now to break my rule about rehashing the debate on technique, it seems to me that the struggle with the FF is how slowly one must inhale. I have a friend who uses a Magic Flight. Every time he tries my FF, I tell him to inhale VERY slowly. He never listens and doesn't blow clouds. He's a bit older than me and somewhat out of shape. I wonder if the FF requires a certain amount of respiratory fitness to use optimally? I'm a long time (25+ years) runner with lots of lung capacity. It's no trouble for me to inhale very slowly and for a long duration. When I do this, the FF always works. So, I always do it. Along with hand tearing my cannabis and somewhat tightly packing the bowl just past the rim (as the company recommends), this device is wonderful.

The FF2 is most intriguing based on the simpler design which looks easier to clean. Extra battery life is a bonus, although I rarely use it away from the house so that's not a big deal. I haven't been as interested in the APP due to not wanting to think too much when vaping. However, if it's worth putting in some time to dial in one's own perfect heating profile, then why not?

twigs

Pay no mind to those voices in my head
Like you, I also have been a (mostly satisfied) FF1 user for a couple of years and have been on the fence regarding purchasing the version two Firefly. The black Friday deal offered by Vapeworld was enough to push me over the edge and I took the plunge. Delivered on Wednesday, I will be able to use it for the first time tonight. My intent is to use it mostly for concentrates while continuing to use my FF1 with flower. I will report back my first impressions after a couple of sessions.

Like you, I also have been a (mostly satisfied) FF1 user for a couple of years and have been on the fence regarding purchasing the version two Firefly. The black Friday deal offered by Vapeworld was enough to push me over the edge and I took the plunge. Delivered on Wednesday, I will be able to use it for the first time tonight. My intent is to use it mostly for concentrates while continuing to use my FF1 with flower. I will report back my first impressions after a couple of sessions.

Looking forward to your review.

Legal in Washington State,

OcocO

Hi guys - this is my first post, motivated by the reports of how well the ceramic screen from VapeBros works. That link is the only place to buy them (at a reasonable price) that I could find - $11.49 for 5 screens. I'm in the UK/Ireland part of the world so there's an additional $13.50 shipping charge - i.e. they'll work out at $5 each in the end.

I only want one of the screens, so I'm wondering if there are up to 4 other people in the UK/Ireland/EU area wanting to take the other 4?

OcocO,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom