The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArthurJ

I have them both and I haven't used my FF1 since I got the FF2. I kind of prefer the heft and feel of the 1, I liked that it seemed real solid and sturdy. But the two is just easier to use.
It's fun to be able to adjust the temp between hits, I like that feature a lot.
I was happy enough with the 1 that I wasn't even initially going to get the 2, but I must vaped, started reading the board and well, I think we all know how that usually ends.
If you didn't have any issues with 1 I can't see how one wouldn't like the two.

fogbank

Again, without discussing the merits of Firefly's required "technique," is the FF2 a significant improvement over the FF1.

For me the FF2 is a modest improvement over the FF1 when it comes to getting a single large hit on the first draw (which is my desired usage). It achieves that goal more often than my FF1s, but it is still very technique driven. Also it creates more "hot spots" with charring/blackening of the material in a small region of the bowl. This drives the need for even more stirring than the FF1 required. I don't mind blackening/charring, however I despise combustion. Until recently my FF2 had never combusted. That changed about a week ago when I experienced my first combustion episode (temp was set to "high" with 11% boost). A few days later I experienced my second episode. I have since lowered the boost to 5%.

That brings me to another point - since the two combustion episodes it seems like I am not getting as much heat out of my unit. I have to re-activate the heater after the 30 second timeout just to get that one big hit. I realize that I dropped the temp boost from 11% to 5%, but it still seems a little weaker that it was before.

Has anyone noticed degraded performance with the FF2 after a combustion episode?

fogbank,

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Has anyone noticed degraded performance with the FF2 after a combustion episode?

Yes.

I had to do a thorough cleaning with an iso pad in the bowl before it hit well again. I have yet to iso the mouth screen after over a week of daily usage. I have had to sweep out the crumbs though lol.

I keep mine on 109% at high, and have not combusted since. With a fine grind I have come surprisingly close to pax sized clouds.

Cl4ud3

Hi guys - this is my first post, motivated by the reports of how well the ceramic screen from VapeBros works. That link is the only place to buy them (at a reasonable price) that I could find - $11.49 for 5 screens. I'm in the UK/Ireland part of the world so there's an additional $13.50 shipping charge - i.e. they'll work out at $5 each in the end.

I only want one of the screens, so I'm wondering if there are up to 4 other people in the UK/Ireland/EU area wanting to take the other 4?
Just throwing this out there, the screens even stick to the lid magnet when you want to remove them and they're hot.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D08LCUQ

edit:- currently unavailable from there but easy to find

Cl4ud3,
Reactions: OcocO
For those of you happy with the FF2, if you could have only one vaporizer other than the FF2, which would it be? I'm asking in order to help consider other choices before making a decision. I'm not a multiple device kind of guy--sort of a minimalist that way. I realize no vape is perfect for all purposes, however, I'd like to find the single best overall choice for my purposes. The FF1 has been good to me for the most part. Although I've mastered technique, it's still a bit less mindless, if you will, to operate. I wouldn't mind, if possible, to have a vape that's truly idiot proof. While it's fairly easy to clean, I wouldn't mind something even easier. Overall, my priority is the least fuss vaporizing experience. Is the FF2 the best choice or something else.

Thanks, as always, for sharing!

Legal in Washington State,

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
I assume you mean for portables? If not, then I would say the Evo is your best bet. Easy to clean, and a true powerhouse of potency, flavor, and efficiency.

It's the only other vape I have, and I feel the combination of the two means I'll never go without amazing flavor and mild vapor.

Mr. Me2

For those of you happy with the FF2, if you could have only one vaporizer other than the FF2, which would it be? I'm asking in order to help consider other choices before making a decision. I'm not a multiple device kind of guy--sort of a minimalist that way. I realize no vape is perfect for all purposes, however, I'd like to find the single best overall choice for my purposes. The FF1 has been good to me for the most part. Although I've mastered technique, it's still a bit less mindless, if you will, to operate. I wouldn't mind, if possible, to have a vape that's truly idiot proof. While it's fairly easy to clean, I wouldn't mind something even easier. Overall, my priority is the least fuss vaporizing experience. Is the FF2 the best choice or something else.

Thanks, as always, for sharing!
I'm still on my grasshopper honeymoon

Mr. Me2,

ArthurJ

For portability I like my Firewood.
I like that you can swifly swap out capsules while out and about, but that capsule system may not be for everyone so I can't say it's easier than the firefly.

For at home I like my e-nano. It's my first desktop and I've had no reason to look for another.

Those get more use from me than my FF2, which I do like very much but it just has a more limited role for me.

ArthurJ,

Baron23

For one and one only portable, I would go with Boundless CFX or Mighty at this time.

For one and one only desktop: EVO or Enano. Both are very versatile and efficient.

Baron23,

twigs

Pay no mind to those voices in my head
Like you, I also have been a (mostly satisfied) FF1 user for a couple of years and have been on the fence regarding purchasing the version two Firefly. The black Friday deal offered by Vapeworld was enough to push me over the edge and I took the plunge. Delivered on Wednesday, I will be able to use it for the first time tonight. My intent is to use it mostly for concentrates while continuing to use my FF1 with flower. I will report back my first impressions after a couple of sessions.

Ok, so after two sessions I am happy to report that Firefly 2 is everything I expected it to be. Most importantly, it lives up to the hype about improved heating and improved battery performance. There is zero learning curve for someone used to the FF1, it may in fact be easier to use. My only complaint so far is with the lid. It is more difficult for me to tell when the lid is properly seated.

fogbank

Yes.

I had to do a thorough cleaning with an iso pad in the bowl before it hit well again. I have yet to iso the mouth screen after over a week of daily usage. I have had to sweep out the crumbs though lol.

I keep mine on 109% at high, and have not combusted since. With a fine grind I have come surprisingly close to pax sized clouds.

Thanks for your comment.

I have attempted a thorough cleaning of the bowl. I soaked a cotton ball with ISO, laid it on a hard surface, and placed the FF2 bowl over it, face down (to avoid getting too much ISO in the chamber below the bowl). I applied light downward pressure on the bottom of the FF2 to push the cotton ball into the bowl, and let it sit for a few minutes. I repeated this a few times before blowing and sucking air into/through the bowl in order to (hopefully) clear the holes in the metal plate. It seems to have helped a little, but I'm not sure how much yet. One thing I haven't been able to do is to poke anything through the holes in the metal plate. I don't seem to have anything with that fine of a point on it.

My FF2 still seems to be working OK, but it's not producing quite as much vapor as before. Maybe I've started drawing too slowly, or maybe the ambient air has gotten cooler and the FF2 has to work harder. Who knows... :hmm:

fogbank,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
My only complaint so far is with the lid. It is more difficult for me to tell when the lid is properly seated.
It has a little groove, and the lid should kind of snap into place. You'll get used to it as you play with it more. (I actually find it a little easier than the FF1 lid....different strokes.:p)

mitchgo61,

Dudeman

So I almost made it through Black Friday unscathed until I received an email from Firefly about the "buy a ff2 and get a free lid and zipper case with it" sale. At that point I lost all control and went for it.

Before I break-in this beautiful device I have a question I'm sure you guys can help with. I believe this may have been discussed at some point but I couldn't find it going back through posts or Search.

I just need confirmation that the small gap between the bottom of the glass bowl and the metal screen plate is by design and should be there.
I studied the dismantle photos and I would guess there is an O ring down in there, but I'm not sure.
I did gently place a piece of very small wire in the gap to make sure it wasn't an illusion.

If this is by design, it seems odd to me since small debris would most certainly get packed in there over time. Or at least that's what my inexperienced brain tells me.
Anyway, could you guys confirm this for me?
Thanks much, I appreciate it.
cXlr9Hp.jpg

EWAkzAy.jpg

W3u3MgS.jpg

Last edited:
Dudeman,

david8613

For one and one only portable, I would go with Boundless CFX or Mighty at this time.

For one and one only desktop: EVO or Enano. Both are very versatile and efficient.

I'm still new and learning but shouldn't the boundless cfv be included? It's also 100% convection like the firefly 2.

david8613,

toked23

I keep track of several things with the ff2. Mostly just days between charges, length of pulls and how many, when battery dies as well. I'm noticing I get about 20pulls of about 25-30 seconds over 10 days on avg and my battery dies. Seems a little short life wise to me? What do you guys think? I still have the second battery but have never done anything with it. This battery is approx 6 months old with this avg almost the whole time.

So I almost made it through Black Friday unscathed until I received an email from Firefly about the "buy a ff2 and get a free lid and zipper case with it" sale. At that point I lost all control and went for it.

Before I break-in this beautiful device I have a question I'm sure you guys can help with. I believe this may have been discussed at some point but I couldn't find it going back through posts or Search.

I just need confirmation that the small gap between the bottom of the glass bowl and the metal screen plate is by design and should be there.
I studied the dismantle photos and I would guess there is an O ring down in there, but I'm not sure.
I did gently place a piece of very small wire in the gap to make sure it wasn't an illusion.

If this is by design, it seems odd to me since small debris would most certainly get packed in there over time. Or at least that's what my inexperienced brain tells me.
Anyway, could you guys confirm this for me?
Thanks much, I appreciate it.
cXlr9Hp.jpg

EWAkzAy.jpg

W3u3MgS.jpg

I have the same gap. Doesn't affect anything with my usage. I'm not 100% sure how much seeps in but as far as smell
Goes, Ff2 does have a vape smell, nothing like conduction but still is there. Won't stink up a room like my pax2 though. I leave it out almost all the time and no notice of it even with material in it always. I'm assuming since I leave the meds in it all the time I would imagine it doesn't help with the smell of the ff2.

Mods: my apologies, just realized I posted back to back. Stupid ff2 works every time, hahaha

Modnote: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
toked23,

Vigor

I keep track of several things with the ff2. Mostly just days between charges, length of pulls and how many, when battery dies as well. I'm noticing I get about 20pulls of about 25-30 seconds over 10 days on avg and my battery dies. Seems a little short life wise to me? What do you guys think? I still have the second battery but have never done anything with it. This battery is approx 6 months old with this avg almost the whole time.

Just wondering if you are using a fast 2A charger or a 500mA - 1A charger?

My batteries no longer get a full charge. I can get a partial charge via computer USB port. I've been alternating both batteries for the last 3 months and at this point I am down to 15 30-second activations. I wonder if fast charging is what wears them down.

Vigor,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I've used two production FF2s, and while, yes, there may be the tiniest of gaps between the restrictor plate and the bottom edge of the glass bowl, it's almost imperceptible. There is no way I could slide wire, or even a piece of paper, under the bowl's edge. Certainly not enough of a gap to cause debris to be trapped and build up.

The gap in yours, particularly image one, looks rather striking and a little odd to me. I suspect in assembly it somehow escaped whatever QA ensures the proper specs and tolerances are met.

I would consider calling FF and requesting a replacement. Whatever your eyes may perceive, there shouldn't be a functional gap at the bottom of the bowl's edge. Probably won't cause you any issues, but it also doesn't look right to me, and for >300 bucks, it should be perfect. :2c:

toked23

Just wondering if you are using a fast 2A charger or a 500mA - 1A charger?

My batteries no longer get a full charge. I can get a partial charge via computer USB port. I've been alternating both batteries for the last 3 months and at this point I am down to 15 30-second activations. I wonder if fast charging is what wears them down.

I'm using a 1.0a charger. Actually from a garmin golf gps.

toked23,

Dudeman

I've used two production FF2s, and while, yes, there may be the tiniest of gaps between the restrictor plate and the bottom edge of the glass bowl, it's almost imperceptible. There is no way I could slide wire, or even a piece of paper, under the bowl's edge. Certainly not enough of a gap to cause debris to be trapped and build up.

The gap in yours, particularly image one, looks rather striking and a little odd to me. I suspect in assembly it somehow escaped whatever QA ensures the proper specs and tolerances are met.

I would consider calling FF and requesting a replacement. Whatever your eyes may perceive, there shouldn't be a functional gap at the bottom of the bowl's edge. Probably won't cause you any issues, but it also doesn't look right to me, and for >300 bucks, it should be perfect. :2c:
Q
Thanks michgo61, ya I was kinda of afraid of that. I'll give em a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom