The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somthing tells me that a small adjustment to the ceramic part that is holding the heating coil could be re designed or modified to " swirl" the hot air around the inside BELOW the "screen/bowl". Getting hot air to come up through those tiny holes is the key to solving the issue of the hot spot.
clearly the heated air is being concentrated prior to comming up into the herbs. it needs to be spread out.
Enlarging the screen holes is a balsey move. Ultimatly I think there is a better way. attack from below.

True, but the air inside the ceramic part bounces on the screen and spreads out a bit anyway.

As long as the air restriction is narrow enough air will still get spread over all the holes pretty evenly.

An affect which afaik will only subside if the holes get too big, like the SS mesh screen it basically just hits the center point and goes right though it because there pretty much nothing to bounce back on.

Its all about air pressure. Dont think theres any notable effect in the current state of (my) screen.

Unless you specifically ment the hotspot temperature of the screen itself, then i guess i agree its all but even heat spread.

But i think the heat conducts asuper fast and the screen is so thin its probably equalized between each draw.

Marctraider,
Did anyone ever use a (IR?) temperature meter to measure in front of the glass when vaping?

Perhaps interesting to see the actual bowl temp when inhaling and make a reference chart on what settings actually relate to real life temps?

DankUser

DankUser,
Reactions: Cl4ud3

MinnBobber

Did anyone ever use a (IR?) temperature meter to measure in front of the glass when vaping?

Perhaps interesting to see the actual bowl temp when inhaling and make a reference chart on what settings actually relate to real life temps?
Just remember that these IR thermometers have their "wheelhouse"----where they are very accurate, on flat surfaces that are flat black basically and of a known substance.
The more curved and more shiny a surface, the more inaccurate they are.
For most of our beloved vapes, they are very very inaccurate :(

They have huge "correction tables" to adjust to different metals AND to different surfaces on the same metals. For example, for "STEEL", there are about 30 different correction factors for all the different types of steel. For measuring vape temps, they are extremely inaccurate :(

MinnBobber,
Mhh, but.... despite these devices being inaccurate, if you can measure the lowest and highest temp settings on the FF, and since we know the FF temps, we can 'calibrate' our meters based on that?

At least we have a rough indication i guess :p

Marctraider,

justvapin

Enthusiastic Cannabis Consumer
I have 2 IR temp guns, and would agree they are very inaccurate for measuring the actual temp of our vapes. However, they may be able to provide an accurate guideline to measure things like fluctuations in temperature etc....just know that the temperature they are providing could be wildly inaccurate. I didn't find mine of much use when I tried, but really wasn't doing anything more than being curious.

Last edited:
justvapin,
Too bad. FF2 really should have temp probe :o

I think the ceramic piece right under bowl could house a mini sensor :D

Marctraider,

KLo

No Ember
Do you draw slowly? Have you tried lower temps? This works for me. Stock screen had hotspot too, just offcentered towards to mouthpiece. My new hotspot :) is not bigger now.
EDIT: I also thought to place smth below the screen, covering the hole, to dissect the flow. Like glass bead or nail-head :) I yet to find SS nail.

Same hot smear near the mp. Par for the vape, i reckon

I guess I've always looked at the hot spot, which mine has, was more of a convection thing. I simply stir and move on along...

Had same staining in the DVAscent (conduction), but yeah, kept things moving. Not off-taste, no burning

Hey y'all,

So my brother has had my FF1 for the past several months now (it was a brand new warranty replacement) and after it broke and repair parts are delayed, Firefly let us upgrade to the 2 for a very reasonable fee.

Was wondering if anyone could give me a brief rundown on any tips for the FF2, coming from FF1, or will they be all good on their own out of the box with same technique etc? I know the app will be its own thing, but basic use all the same if they enjoyed FF1 and got good results?

They typical hand break herbs, stir every few hits by flipping the load (with a flat metal collar stay that magnetized to the lid, presume that will still work with FF2 bc it was awesome having a stirrer attached) and they can get a little lazy about cleaning honestly...

Any thoughts much appreciated, thanks in advance :tup: (can't wait to try it for myself finally over Thanksgiving)

Cool techniques, esp collar stay. Nice and thin mag material is genius.

I have the same experience after breaking up the bud I have to play around with it a bit to get it to heat up now. I try to pack it down hard to restrict the airflow. I use the pinch a ff2 method to get optimum seal.

@KLo It seems that the firmware does not change. When I downloaded the new android app it said the firmware was up to date. Not sure what has changed in the app. Can anyone see what is new.

Fine grind, loose packs work well with a slower draw on med high. Power Tune +- as needed to extract. Stirring along the way :2c:

As for firmware, guessing it's bringing Android users up to speed ?

Mustang_52

iOS has an app update that says for firmware upgrade but nothing happens so I'm not sure what's new.

Mustang_52,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Cool techniques, esp collar stay. Nice and thin mag material is genius.

Thanks yeah it may have been the best stir set up I've ever had for a convection on demand vape (all of which need one). This is it from the FF thread, I'll try to get a shot with the 2 if I can:

XWQ0jmC.jpg

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: KLo
I'm a bit surprised they cant get the battery level right. Isn't that, in it's most basic form, just read out battery voltages?

How hard it for the device firmware to learn when your device is empty/full (low / high voltage)

???

After the firmware update my FF2 combusted for the first time on High setting, coarse grind, and not overfilled. Had been using it for months earlier with no problems. Now after that first combustion it combusts 1 in every 5 sessions. My rose-tinted glasses are off, I was in denial about this Vape but it is definitely not worth the money. There's nothing special about it, it's the Beats by DrDre of vapes. I've given up on using it, and with their policy on returns there's nothing I can do about it.

If you are considering buying this vape, you should save your money.

After the firmware update my FF2 combusted for the first time on High setting, coarse grind, and not overfilled. Had been using it for months earlier with no problems. Now after that first combustion it combusts 1 in every 5 sessions. My rose-tinted glasses are off, I was in denial about this Vape but it is definitely not worth the money. There's nothing special about it, it's the Beats by DrDre of vapes. I've given up on using it, and with their policy on returns there's nothing I can do about it.

If you are considering buying this vape, you should save your money.

My old FF1 used to combust every few weeks or so, sporadically. But the FF2 has been good to me. Sad to see you are having problems regarding the device.

Its quite simply comes to this though;

Caused by faulty device, or user simply has too high expectations when it comes to 'cloud' production. People being used to Pax's and near or half combusting vaporizers.

Marctraider,

baxter84

My FF2 has only combusted at 110% on high. That happened right after the firmware update, I've left it on 105% percent and have not had combistion since. My real only use for the FF2 anymore is for concentrates though.
My Pax 2 has never combusted and I used it multiple times everyday for 11 months.

baxter84,
Reactions: Cl4ud3

Vapinmofo

I really want to LOVE the Firefly. But I am not quite there.
My FF2 also has a Hotspot. this hotspot is in the center offset towards the mouth peice.

Just so you know. I grind medium. Fill using a small container lightly spilling the ground herbs into the bowl light light light... I over fill the bowl by about 25 %.
I do not pack it I just set the lid on it so there is an even pressure. The lid "Packs" the herbs. I do one long pull then another before a stir.Sometimes I pull till the light goes out and I lift my finger off then back onto the button ancd keep pulling so it like a 2x hit... pull too long and the herbs get harsh and maybe get a bit toasty... . I might take a another but by this time the taste is pretty much been pulled out.

Look, I really think that Firefly needs to study the Movement of air underneath the screen. the Hot air moving around under the screen MUST be vortexing under the hotspot concentrating the heat and air into a smaller area OVERHEATING that area forcing the herbs above to express vapor sooner.

Remember way back when every car had a carburetor? There was a gizmo that would sit in the airflow and spin it into a vortex with the idea being this spinning air would mix the air/gas up better.

Well there may be a vortex under our screens and it is NOT a good thing.

FLIR makes an iphone camera which is great for looking at heat sources. the issue here is the FireFly is tiny and the surface area of the screen needs a high tech infrared imaging while air is being pulled. this can not be done through the glass lid.
I get the idea that it sort of a tricky thing to set up properly.

Im sure there is a great Lab out there that could sTudy this for us...
Anyway FireFly should embark on high level research and development to redesign the ceramic part that holds the heating element and or the heating element.
this redesign could add small surfaces that move the air under the screen differently more evenly.
we would get MUCH better results from our fireFly2's if the temp of the air was the same as it comes through the screen. our problem is that we have a area where that temperature is too high and the rest of the screen or the air coming through it is too cool.

think about it. the firefly is actually a cool pretty good vaporizer for flowers.
put an aerodynamicist of the job and I reckon the FireFly 3 is a totally rocking machine.

Not to compare or anything...
My Crafty pulls the hot air through the heating element. the "BOWL" is designed to evenly distribute the heated air under than through the herbs. there is NEVER any stirring required with the crafty.
Don't get me wrong the crafty is not perfect but hotspots and uneven vaporization are not amongst its problems.

When I think about the problem a little I become drawn to the idea that the real problem is the RED HOT COIL sitting under the screen. YES its FAST.
Is Fast that important?

What if heating took a little more time but the result was a MORE evenly vaporized herbs, no stirring, and no hotspot?

Despite the great effort of those at FIREFLY they have work to do to improve on these very crucial features.
NO STIRRING. NO HOTSPOT!! EVEN VAPORIZATION!!

In todays high tech world If fireFly doesn't fix the problem somebody else will.

BTW I put in a service request on the FireFly Website.

At one point I received an email which represented itself as being sent by a HUMAN BEING.

It was immediately clear to me that it was not. there was no reference to my issue in their email.
I replied and made mention of the fact that their email did not actually refer to my problem.
You if you are still reading might wonder what was the issue?

My lid which I treat with great care has (had) two areas which had lost their adhesion between the silicone gasket and the glass.

Well unlike S and B Firefly really could care less about this (design fault) because it creates a revenue stream by selling the tops...

Well I will tell you what I found the FIX hell they should use this stuff in the OEM environment..
I added literally a PINHEAD sized drop of
"THE BEST GLUE EVER". This stuff doesn't dry it just gets stickier and stickier. Easily solving the problem of the silicone lifting from the glass.
It has been a couple weeks now and there is no sign of the problem reoccurring.

My wife gets credit as scrapbook artist she knows adhesives.

wow sorry to go on so long!!

Vapinmofo

KLo

No Ember
@Marctraider Updating the firmware (11/7 release) may correct the battery level issue. It worked for me (android) as well as the rest of the app which had been the bane of my existence since getting the FF2. Until updating, most of the features including PT and battery were non-functional. Yeah, the batt level seems most important, besides heating options. Drove me nuts. Now, fingers crossed, app is humming along

@Vapinmofo I feel your woes. Pretty much gave up on FF2 CS. They're in the trenches for sure with all the issues. They've set up a chat/text option 11a-8p EST for support. Should be helpful

Last edited:
KLo,
New version of android software available today. 1.2.8. no new firmware. That was quick i guess the last one was not right. This shows updated nov 10. this weeks previous version was 1.1.102

Last edited:
MonsterWithoutBorders,
Im not sure why, but my bowl cooks evenly. Only got hotspot with mesh screen, not with original. Not sure if its because Increased hole size.

Also get good clouds on first draw O.o

No black parts spotted!

Marctraider,

Baron23

Caused by faulty device, or user simply has too high expectations when it comes to 'cloud' production. People being used to Pax's and near or half combusting vaporizers.

@Marctraider - so I'm not looking to bash this vape, my opinions on it are established and it isn't for me.

But I'm wondering, what would constitute 'too high expectations when it comes to 'cloud' production' for a fairly highly touted $330 vape. What do you think are proper expectations for function for potential buyers of this device?

Seriously?:hmm:

Last edited:

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
@Marctraider - so I'm not looking to bash this vape, my opinions on it are established and it isn't for me.

But I'm wondering, what would constitute 'too high expectations when it comes to 'cloud' product' for a fairly highly touted $330 vape. What do you think are proper expectations for function for potential buyers of this device?

I just wanted to blow clouds like the CEO.

Hahahahaha :rofl:

Most expensive video i have ever seen.

:2c:

Last edited:
oddjobold,

But I'm wondering, what would constitute 'too high expectations when it comes to 'cloud' production' for a fairly highly touted $330 vape. What do you think are proper expectations for function for potential buyers of this device?

Well, I grew up with the FF1, I knew what to expect, and surprisingly the FF2 did better for me than expected.

Honestly what to expect of vapor cloud production? Not like E-cigs or cigarettes or even the Pax etc. But this IS mainly convection, and for me it feels very efficient. The pax heats up the oven, not to mention conduct its heat onto the herbs and half of it is probably near combustion temp.

Look up the best FF2 Youtube vid with best clouds, thats how my FF2 performs, on the first hit ffs!

So yeah, what is the problem? Perhaps your device simply isnt working right? Believe me when i first got the FF1 i thought i threw away money, now i know the ins and outs of how to get my first satisfying, yes big cloud without combusting, hit.

And with the FF2 there is no effort what so ever on achieving godly sessions.

I feel for all the guys that are disappointed, i still say 10% is faulty and 90% simply cant get it right / impatience.

Did you try putting a concentrate pad on top op of the bowl? Or anything that keeps the material down.

Edit: Guess im on the Firefly CEO level as well, because I guess i found his secret first-hit hax ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom