The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

VisiblyVaped

I'm going to buy an eq primarily because its supposed to be good for a versatile option with easy to use water adapters.

VisiblyVaped,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
My EQ evolution:

Homemade setup, showing how to performance mod the EQ:
Bubbler setup - tuff bowl with screen replaced to domed screen shaped to fit in that small hole:

Seek,

avitas

I just ordered my EQ. Someone in GrassCity Forms mentioned using timer to auto start the unit. it would begin inflating a bag and be ready for him to hit when he got home.

I was under the impression that the included timer would only turn off the unit as a sort of sleep timer. Is it capable of functioning both ways? (ex: start up and begin heating/filling a bag at a desired time)

If not, could the user have implemented an external timer? Perhaps like the ones used to control grow lighting schedules.

anybody own one? is autostart with the EQ a possibility?

avitas,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I don't think so. At least my EQ can't do it. It has shut-off timer. Auto-start timer is Zephyr Ion's feature. And I don't think it is really necessary. It heats up in minute something at nicely heats in 5 or more minutes. And I wouldn't let it blow bags on auto-start timer. They could burst if you're late.

Seek,

quillquip

sedulus discipulus
is autostart with the EQ a possibility?
I don't think an external timer will work, because I believe the vaporizer will always revert to the OFF state when the the timer cuts the power. When the timer lets the power flow to the vaporizer again, the vaporizer will still be in the OFF state, patiently waiting for a touch to the front panel or remote to turn it on.

All hope is not lost, though; if you're really set on achieving the auto-on functionality, you can purchase a USB infrared transmitter and have the computer send the power signal at a predetermined time. I have done this, and can help with the details. The USB transmitter I am using is a Tira ($49) and the software I use to control it is EventGhost (open source, free).

I wouldn't let it blow bags on auto-start timer. They could burst if you're late.
Agreed! If you have the vaporizer automatically turn on, only do it to warm up the cyclone bowl. The fan can always be turned on manually and will fill the bag in about 2-3 minutes.

quillquip,

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
I agree with Seek. Not a good idea in the first place, unless there is a pressure auto-off; the exact time to blow a bag can't be pre-determined. Also that vapor that's been waiting until the user gets home, is going to be stale. While that's a personal pref kinda thing, I suspect most would much rather prefer a fresh bag.

If there is an "auto-start" feature, it must be one of the "27 improvements" that Arizer has been marketing with the recent Q update - the improvements no one can seem to find the details about. Maybe this new feature is just for turning the heater on, for pre-heat - that does save 5-10 minutes or so.

oldiebutgoodie,

avitas

The real time saver would definitely be a 10 minute head start on warming up; the internal element will temp to the users choice well within 3 or 4 minutes i imagine. But the heat needs to spread uniformly throughout all of the herb chamber to really release that thick mist on every pull. 10 minutes would be well enough to do this with a unit of this size.

say i know someone is coming over within 20 minutes that i plan to demonstrate my new kick ass piece of vapor equipment (this situation assumes the person is on time etc.)

load the bowl hook up the bag etc. leave it all ready to go:

Power on and begin heating in 15 minutes

set the fan speed to (1) at 20 minutes

set the fan to speed (3) at say 22 or 23 minutes

this would buy the user 2 or 3 minutes on bag fill time plus the time it spends filling will be with a milky thick vapor, then switch to speed 3 even it out with a slightly thinner vapor at the end of filling. i would rather walk in on a bag that wasn't full, but rather pre heated and slightly full.

all of these actions can be completed with the use of the remote, so the individual signals emitted by the remote can be captured by the transmitter and put into a sequence of scripts (which seems to be what this event ghost program does).

It all sounds so complicated and to be honest i almost gave up on typing this reply because it sounded so pointlessly in depth.

but ideally you would only endure the confusion once to compile all of the actions into your script, every time after all you would have to do is run the script that you already created.

would be as simple as pack, click, walk and return to a hot vape pumping your bag.

if you tried to adjust around your daily schedule when you are not home (ex: have a bag inflated when you get home from work) a bag will bust sooner or later yes. I would configure a pre heat script for this option, but i would not implement use of a fan. 5 minutes to inflate a bag is bearable it is the pre heat phase that i seek to automate.

anybody with input or experience in this feel free to add something. if there are flaws in my theory then respectfully poke holes to shed light on it for me. I don't own one of these, everything i said here is hypothetical based on what knowledge i have from reading.

It will be about a week before mine finally arrives and with the help of the community i want my mind to be full of crazy ass possibilities by the time it gets here

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
Just stop thinking about timer on filling the bag, you don't want it to burst. These 2 minutes are not worth it. Startup to heat? If it is achievable, then ok. But fan can be risky for the bag when you're not there to keep watch. If the timer can run even when the unit is off and can be programmed to also turn on then there could be possibility to make the autoshutoff also autostart. Another limitation is that the timer can be set only to 0, 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, ..., 4 hours, for shutoff, it's enough, but startup timer should be wider to be usable. People don't work/school only 4 hours.

But for you, I'm going to do this experiment - set the timer to 30 min, turn it off still plugged. And wait. If nothing happens after 30 minutes I'll turn it on back again and check the timer if it did anything.

EDIT: Nothing happened and the timer is still set on 30 mins after I turned it on. The timer is sleeping when it's off. So auto-startup seems to be impossible.

Seek,

avitas

An easier test would have been to unplug and plug back in the device and if it turns on without need for button pushing then it would be electric timer capable.

The only way this would have been possible is if the EQ had a hard power switch that could be left on and would turn on and off simply by being plugged and unplugged (like a vacuum cleaner that was left switched on; it starts as soon as its plugged in without hitting the power)f

Once again the bag idea is really not sound possibility, just a thought. If i step into the world of USB Infa Red Technology (the only feasible option) then I may give it a whirl,when im upstairs and the EQ is pre cooking downstairs in the smokers lounge. But full fire-and-forget automation is not a possibility (that doesn't carry high risk) at this time.

-Quill: I was browsing and found your other posts with talk of using dictate and EG for voice command, nice work. You should send me a PM let me know if there's anything else you've tried. If there are any feasible ideas left for me to try ill run them by you and see what you think

avitas,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
The EQ only reacts to remote on/off and button on/off when plugged in and off. I has memory of everything (even the timer) so even if I set the timer, turn it off, unplug and plug again a turn it on, the timer will be still set on the time when it was turned off. But not running while off.

And really, the autostart is not necessary. I just turn it on first, then prepare herbs nd everything and when it's done, it's also heated up.

Seek,

BCVapo

Hi, new here and I hope someone may have some advice?

I have had the EQ for a year or so and very satisfied.

When i brought the EQ home, I set it up on my counter and it has basically stayed there since. In other words, I haven't dropped, bumped, or traumatized my EQ in any way.

The other night I finished a session and turned off the unit per usual. Later I turned it on to warm up per usual and filled an elbow. When i tried the fan though it didn't turn on. The LCD has the speed 3 fan icon spinning, the unit is functioning properly in every other way, except the fan has stopped physically spinning.

I took the base plate off and had a look around. i see no disconnections, or anything else improper you might expect.

The fan itself is simply a small version of computer fans by the look of it.

I've been in contact with Arizer, but understandably they want a copy of my receipt. I'm not a person who throws out receipts, but after tearing every cupboard apart today I've had no luck. I have receipts for the smallest things back to 2004-5 even, but no damn EQ receipt! Driving me nuts!

Anyway, has anyone ever had this issue, if so, any idea on how to fix?

Thanks.

BCVapo,

oldiebutgoodie

@BCVapo -

Welcome to FC . . . sorry to hear that you're have a Q problem, though.

Does the fan switch work? You indicate the Fan 3 icon is spinning; can you switch the speed to 2 or 1 or off using the panel (i.e., not the remote)?

Re the receipt, any chance the vendor you purchased from would have a record of the transaction?

oldiebutgoodie,

BCVapo

I have considered contacting the store to see if they have a transaction, but i don't know if the store is very competent TBH, it's a head shop and not exactly fully computerized I imagine.

I can turn the fan on via the remote or the LCD on speeds 1-3 with the same result. The icon spins indicating the fan is on/speed.

My guess is that some material has fallen in and jammed the fan, or something is physically keeping it from spinning. I'll have to carefully disassemble I guess. I was hoping to avoid that, but without the fan, the EQ loses 50% of it's use.

BCVapo,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I haven't used the fan for a loong time by now :) You can try to disassemble - easy - and try if it's blocked or if wire is somewhere wrong.

Seek,

BCVapo

I'm going to eat some food then carefully take it apart and find the issue (I hope). I'll update if i have any success, after a nice heavy vape for testing purposes of course.

BCVapo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Hi, new here and I hope someone may have some advice?

I have had the EQ for a year or so and very satisfied.

When i brought the EQ home, I set it up on my counter and it has basically stayed there since. In other words, I haven't dropped, bumped, or traumatized my EQ in any way.

The other night I finished a session and turned off the unit per usual. Later I turned it on to warm up per usual and filled an elbow. When i tried the fan though it didn't turn on. The LCD has the speed 3 fan icon spinning, the unit is functioning properly in every other way, except the fan has stopped physically spinning.

I took the base plate off and had a look around. i see no disconnections, or anything else improper you might expect.

The fan itself is simply a small version of computer fans by the look of it.

I've been in contact with Arizer, but understandably they want a copy of my receipt. I'm not a person who throws out receipts, but after tearing every cupboard apart today I've had no luck. I have receipts for the smallest things back to 2004-5 even, but no damn EQ receipt! Driving me nuts!

Anyway, has anyone ever had this issue, if so, any idea on how to fix?

Thanks.

The good news is that it is indeed a fairly common computer fan. The part number you need is right on the fan, if I recall correctly. If the warranty didn't apply then I would replace it myself, but I realize many people wouldn't be comfortable doing that.

The fan on my Extreme failed before the warranty expired. In my case it seemed to be a wiring fault, but I don't know that for certain. Arizer simply replaced it with a refurbished model, and it's worked ever since (two years) but keep in mind I almost never use the fan.

Even if you can't find the receipt, Arizer will repair it for a reasonable sum, but the down side is that you're without the unit while it's being serviced. This is how I came to acquire the MFLB, because you should never be without backup.

Incidentally, although I live only an hour's drive from Arizer, they arranged for me to do the swap at a local dealer. This meant I didn't have to deal with a postal or delivery service, a big plus. It's an avenue to explore.

pakalolo,

madeon

hmm how much are you supposed to pack in the elbow screen? and how many hits before cashing out? so far i've tried this twice, both times i gently push it with my finger in the end. But there's really not a lot , like 0.1g? first two hits are pretty thick, and then it becomes mild and seems to last only about 4-5. mild high.

compared to packing 0.2 in the cyclone bowl, i do 4 hits before stirring and i stir twice, maybe 3 times if its dank and i crank up the temp a bit in the end. I am puffing consistent fumes on every hit, and it gets me stoned silly.

madeon,

BCVapo

As an update to my problem, I took disassembled the unit and cleaned inside and such. There really was nothing to "fix" so i just did my best to clean inside while it was apart then re-assemble.

The first time I turned the fan on there was a small clicking or snapping kind of sound like something coming loose for a second then it ran fine. I turned it off and turned and shook the unit, but nothing is moving around inside now. Quite odd that.

In any case, it is functioning correctly now, so it must have been some material happened to fall in and lodge in the fan somehow? Dunno. My second bag is about ready, gotta go.

Edit: Bah! Spoke too soon, there is a grindy / clicky kind of noise, sounds bad so I better keep it off for now.

BCVapo,

dannkk

I haven't used the fan for a loong time by now :) You can try to disassemble - easy - and try if it's blocked or if wire is somewhere wrong.

Fan is awesome. I use it every session. Let the EQ get to your vaping temp, then turn the fan on 3 for about a minute. Turn off the fan and load it, and you're gtg. Glass is all hot. lol

dannkk,

dannkk

hmm how much are you supposed to pack in the elbow screen? and how many hits before cashing out? so far i've tried this twice, both times i gently push it with my finger in the end. But there's really not a lot , like 0.1g? first two hits are pretty thick, and then it becomes mild and seems to last only about 4-5. mild high.

compared to packing 0.2 in the cyclone bowl, i do 4 hits before stirring and i stir twice, maybe 3 times if its dank and i crank up the temp a bit in the end. I am puffing consistent fumes on every hit, and it gets me stoned silly.

If the vaped herb is the same color either way, you're not losing anything. On the elbow pack, you can try using a bit more. Also, when the vapor slows down, dump the herb into your hand and crush it with your fingers and pack it back in. Turn up the vape and hit it. Won't taste to pretty, but you'll get 1 or 2 more big hits.

dannkk,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
dankk: I know, when I used to preheat fan was helpful, but now I hit it more like VXC (posted a vid here recently). Preheating the glass is good if you want it blasted and vape it all at once. But I do hits and between them (or if I split the session) if the glass is hot it will evaporate slowly herb sitting and waiting in there. Also the bowl modification I do doesn't need glass preheat much (and if preheat, doesn't need fan and it still vapes all it in one hit, sometimes I want this hit and then turn it off, this is the only case I can use the fan now).

Seek,

oldiebutgoodie

@BCVapo,

If you heard a noise from the fan and there is not something hitting the blades, it is most likely the bearing. The fan is a Delta, good quality. You shouldn't have difficulty finding a replacement. IIRC the fan uses a standard 2-pin connector to the board, so very easy job to do. Until you replace it, be careful not to turn the fan on; power to the motor which is frozen up will cause over-heating - that obviously won't hurt the already dead fan but it could be risky for nearby internals.

@madeon,

IIRC users have reported getting ~.25g into an elbow pack. That will vary with your herb and grind. The elbow can be filled to the lip. Tamp the load down firmly but not too much, just enough to hold it in place. Some users do a little stir/repack because there is a tendency to get a hot spot in the center.

oldiebutgoodie,
Reactions: JCat

JCat

Accessory Maker
@BCVapo,

If you heard a noise from the fan and there is not something hitting the blades, it is most likely the bearing. The fan is a Delta, good quality. You shouldn't have difficulty finding a replacement. IIRC the fan uses a standard 2-pin connector to the board, so very easy job to do. Until you replace it, be careful not to turn the fan on; power to the motor which is frozen up will cause over-heating - that obviously won't hurt the already dead fan but it could be risky for nearby internals.

@madeon,

IIRC users have reported getting ~.25g into an elbow pack. That will vary with your herb and grind. The elbow can be filled to the lip. Tamp the load down firmly but not too much, just enough to hold it in place. Some users do a little stir/repack because there is a tendency to get a hot spot in the center.

I find with the elbow pack method I get a hotspot in the centre ... but that being said, the rest of it is vaporized pretty well (mixing/re-packing doesn't yield very much extra decent vapor IMHO).

JCat,
Top Bottom