The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

Persona Non Grata

turn on, tune in, hulk out
it really depends on the weed, how many hits you'll get out of an elbow pack. and what your definition of a good hit is. and if you put hash in there, then the hits seem to never stop.

generally from an elbow of average weed. at around 195C with the Q, I would expect 1 really nice, extremely tasty hit. then maybe 3 more decent hits, depending on the weed of course. then maybe 3 more wispy hits, and if you raise the temp or stir, I would expect more.

I just dump it when the taste gets bland/thin vapor. I tell myself that this is less weed than I used to rip in a single bong hit, so I dont care about 'wasting' a tiny bit Im high as fuck anyway after 1 or 3 (or 5 :ko:) elbows.

also on the topic of stirring an elbow pack, which I found was a hassle when I did it. instead of stirring at the end of a elbow, lightly blow into the whip, the weed will fall down into the cyclone bowl, then you can rip it a few more times to get a couple hits.

Persona Non Grata,
Reactions: TomC1315

hereatlast

I definitely found that stirring the elbow helped, people I would vape with would continually question the need to stir the elbow but I always did, my proof lied in the fact that after several hits off of the elbow the darkening of the matter wasn't uniform; in other words I came to expect a fairly dark spot in the middle of the elbow-pack and a much lighter beige throughout the rest.

I've since gotten rid of the elbow and went for something like this (thanks FEAR :p); a wand like this really increases surface area (+) which has meant more efficiency for me; it also means that you can pack the same amount that you'd put in the elbow or as much as a gram for example. Also, the tubing that comes w/ this set is wider than the stock E tubing, while there might be a little more air in the mix (I haven't noticed that there is) I've found that I milk my bong quicker and thicker (+). Also, this wand-set sits much closer to the heating element. Overall a great way to fairly cheaply upgrade your E.
wand_4.png

hereatlast,

the electrician

a larger surface area isnt really what youre after with an air stream so narrow, id suggest a much narrower bowl to match

the electrician,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
That piece sounds like it would work great, HereAtLast, and would likely help one avoid having to wait for the cyclone to heat up for optimal performance.

Nice call, Fear420.

Progress,

vape4life

Banned for life
Great idea! Thanks!

Persona Non Grata said:
it really depends on the weed, how many hits you'll get out of an elbow pack. and what your definition of a good hit is. and if you put hash in there, then the hits seem to never stop.

generally from an elbow of average weed. at around 195C with the Q, I would expect 1 really nice, extremely tasty hit. then maybe 3 more decent hits, depending on the weed of course. then maybe 3 more wispy hits, and if you raise the temp or stir, I would expect more.

I just dump it when the taste gets bland/thin vapor. I tell myself that this is less weed than I used to rip in a single bong hit, so I dont care about 'wasting' a tiny bit Im high as fuck anyway after 1 or 3 (or 5 :ko:) elbows.

also on the topic of stirring an elbow pack, which I found was a hassle when I did it. instead of stirring at the end of a elbow, lightly blow into the whip, the weed will fall down into the cyclone bowl, then you can rip it a few more times to get a couple hits.

vape4life,

ForbesDotCom

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for everyone putting so much info on this thread... definitely helped me make my choice.

First off, I'd have to say many of you are far more picky about certain aspects of vaporizers and the way you use them than me. I don't worry so much about getting super thick vapor or even maybe wasting a little bit of stuff by not doing the perfect techniques. I am more picky about finding the most healthy alternative to smoking... all glass, no toxins, etc...

With that being said, i just got an Extreme Q from eBay for $195... from an authorized retailer with full warranty! And i love it, been using it for a few days now. This is my second vapo... it's replacing my Vaporite Solo i got for a beginner system.

It's waaaaay quieter than the older versions of the Extreme. My buddy has had an Extreme for a few years and it's been great, but this Q is much quieter comparatively. And the unit heats up quicker and blows up bags just as fast as the Volcano with no difference in taste from my comparison with my other friend's Volcano classic.

I like the elbow pack that you guys have suggested... and after i feel the elbow needs a stir, i also just dump it in the cyclone bowl. Sometimes i will even add another elbow pack at the same time. And i've been using the system on 210-220 and i get plenty of vapor! I also upgraded the tubing to some medical grade silicone tubing with a little water bubbler attachment from vaporstore... check out my set up

P1000328.jpg

hereatlast

the electrician said:
a larger surface area isnt really what youre after with an air stream so narrow, id suggest a much narrower bowl to match
Seems like you've had great luck with your set-up which pushes hot air over a very small volume of space, sounds like efficiency is the greatest advantage.

That said, I think the increased surface area that this piece offers also really helps the efficiency, especially with a fine grind. There's very little layering effect, since the screen is larger all the herb sits evenly and gets hit by the same stream of air at once; the bud is always uniformly cooked. I'm not sure of the specific combination of factors that are giving me better performance/efficiency, but as far as I can tell and only IME:

closer to the element, greater surface area, wider tubing = more efficiency, higher density vapor (or higher vapor:air ratio?)

The fact that it sits closer to the heating element means that I stay at a lower temp. than when using the elbow (its gotta be at least .5inches closer to the element than an elbow-pack); also, I don't change temps. with this piece. Finally, because it sits closer to the element itself its hot very quickly, so yeah Prog you're right, pretty much nonexistant preheat.

hereatlast,

wallstreet

I bought my first vape last week and ordered the Extreme Q on ebay. I read various reviews of other units and decided to go with this one. Shared with two friends two nights ago and they both promptly ordered one. I tried a volcano once or twice and felt I should finally get a vaporizer. I don't think it will totally replace my bong, but when I want to get really messed up, the Q is the way to go.

I have some stupid questions for a beginning vapehead. Mind you, I have been bonging for over 30 years , so I am not new, just new to this technology.

Stupid question #1: I seem to get the sweet spot around 200-210. I then back it down after the second hit to about 190-200. Is it ok to leave your stuff in the cyclone bowl while the unit is "resting"? Sometimes after a couple of nice hits, I decide to take a break and go to another area of my house to hang out. Is it ok to leave the Q on at 190 and just let it sit "idle". There is still good stuff in the Cyclone bowl....does that get affected in anyway?

If I come back in hour later, is this acceptable? Or am I wasting bud ?

I still have not tried the elbow hit, thats for tonight :) I also have not ventured to the balloon either. I have been having too much fun with the wip.

Thanks in advance

wallstreet,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
@ wallstreet
Leaving the bud cooking for a few minutes is okay, but an hour is stretching it a bit and I find I lose some potency if I do that. Don't even waste your time with the cyclone bowl, save bud and time and just go straight to the elbow. K.O.

DeepFried,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
DeepFried said:
@ wallstreet
Leaving the bud cooking for a few minutes is okay, but an hour is stretching it a bit and I find I lose some potency if I do that. Don't even waste your time with the cyclone bowl, save bud and time and just go straight to the elbow. K.O.
I was under the (mistaken?) impression that unless you were hitting it, which draws the heated air through the bud, then it was ok to just leave the bud in the cyclone bowl or elbow. Have I been wasting bud (again)?

Stu,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Test it for yourself. Pack an elbow and let it sit percolating for an hour vs. hitting it within 3-5 minutes. I believe the science behind it is that the heat changes the THC into an acid and you lose it's effects. The bud still gets very hot from simple conduction from just sitting there, you don't need convection in play to heat it. LOL and yes if you are using the cyclone bowl you are wasting bud again.

DeepFried,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I agree that using the cyclone bowl is a waste of bud. I have found a use for it, though. When I'm done hitting my elbow pack at 190 - 200, I just blow in the wand and it dumps the abv into the cyclone. I leave it there and pack another elbow. At the end of the night I crank it up to 230, take a monster rip, and I have just enough time to brush my teeth and lay down before the sandman comes.

I'm a little disappointed that you say the (relatively low levels of) heat alters the THC after a few minutes. I liked the idea of leaving it for a half hour or hour and taking a puff whenever I feel like it. I'll have to be sure to remove the whip from now on whenever I leave my unit on.

Stu,

B.

War Criminal
Wallstreet, Forbes...do you guys know each other in real life? Or is the extreme thread attracting captains of industry?

B.,

ForbesDotCom

Raf007 said:
Nice water filter Forbesdotcom !
Thanks.. it's not amazing, but does the job of cooling down the heat from the whip.

Wallstreet, Forbes...do you guys know each other in real life? Or is the extreme thread attracting captains of industry?
Haha, no, i don't know Wallstreet... but that's a weird coincidence. Mine is from a Jay-Z verse.

ForbesDotCom,

wallstreet

I will just say that my screen name is related to something work related.

So, I shouldn't even use the cyclone bowl? This is like learning to smoke pot the right way when I was a much younger.

So what is the "proper" technique of using just the elbow? Do you still use the cyclone on top of the heater?

This "toy" is a very cool contraption......but I do feel that I am going through weed just a bit too quickly. But boy am I fucked up :)

wallstreet,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
wallstreet said:
I will just say that my screen name is related to something work related.

So, I shouldn't even use the cyclone bowl? This is like learning to smoke pot the right way when I was a much younger.

So what is the "proper" technique of using just the elbow? Do you still use the cyclone on top of the heater?

This "toy" is a very cool contraption......but I do feel that I am going through weed just a bit too quickly. But boy am I fucked up :)
Just pack a bowl directly into the elbow, and using the blunt end of the glass stir stick, lightly compress the herb. Then you just put the elbow as you normally would on top of the cyclone bowl (don't worry, even though it's upside down, almost all of the herb will defy gravity and stay in the elbow).

The easiest way to get a good bowl in the elbow is to suck on the mouthpiece while placing the elbow over your stash so that it acts like a vacuum cleaner and loads a nice bowl with no spillage of bud all over the place. After that just lightly pack it with your pinky or the blunt end of the glass stirrer.

Viola!

Stu,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
wallstreet said:
yep...did that...it worked.........really well :o I see how that conserve's the bud.
I'm brand new to this, too, and I have been going through a LOT of bud the last few days. I assume that once my "experimentation" stage is over, my consumption will return no normal levels. Has anyonoe else experienced this? Vaping a lot in the beginning because it's like playing with a new toy? One of my goals in buying this Q was to save money by buying less weed..... so far it hasn't turned out that way.

Oh well.... Let's go see what this chronic tastes like at 220!!! :p

Stu,

greystr0ke

Stu said:
wallstreet said:
yep...did that...it worked.........really well :o I see how that conserve's the bud.
I'm brand new to this, too, and I have been going through a LOT of bud the last few days. I assume that once my "experimentation" stage is over, my consumption will return no normal levels. Has anyonoe else experienced this? Vaping a lot in the beginning because it's like playing with a new toy? One of my goals in buying this Q was to save money by buying less weed..... so far it hasn't turned out that way.

Oh well.... Let's go see what this chronic tastes like at 220!!! :p
I'm new to vaping too and I just bought an iolite (absolutely love it) thinking it would save me a ton of herb and I have been going through so much more lately it's ridiculous. The learning curve on that was more than I expected and now I'm very interested in an Extreme Q.

Looks like I have a ton of reading to do in this thread before making my purchase as the entire iolite thread literally saved me from returning the unit.

greystr0ke,

wallstreet

What I can say is this. By using the elbow, I can see how you can save more bud. At first , just like anything else, its been a new toy, and I have been "playing" with it considerably.

Thanks for all the advice. I might give the balloon a whirl soon.

wallstreet,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
wallstreet said:
What I can say is this. By using the elbow, I can see how you can save more bud. At first , just like anything else, its been a new toy, and I have been "playing" with it considerably.

I haven't tried the bag yet, either. To be honest, I liked the way that they came packed all nice and neat and I didn't want to ruin them. But I will break them in soon. How long does a bag typically last? Do you need to order replacement bags often? Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm very new to this.

Cheers!

Stu,

vape4life

Banned for life
How long they last depends on your use and temperatures. All I know is that I thought I was smart trying to reuse a bag by flipping it inside out... the smell of the inside of the bag is just not tolerable! lol Sticky and gross... i'm starting to reeeeallly wonder what my lungs look like!

Stu said:
wallstreet said:

I haven't tried the bag yet, either. To be honest, I liked the way that they came packed all nice and neat and I didn't want to ruin them. But I will break them in soon. How long does a bag typically last? Do you need to order replacement bags often? Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm very new to this.

Cheers!

vape4life,

vape4life

Banned for life
I still don't understand the "efficiency" of elbow packs and how much more weed it saves compared to the bowl, etc.? Whether I use the elbow or the bowl, my vaped remains are nicely browned and fully utilized so how is the bowl wasted herb? Both provide ample amounts of thick vapour at the right temps, only the elbow helps gage usage a little more and requires no preheat time.

wallstreet said:

vape4life,
Top Bottom