The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

I was at Ace Hardware today buying some corks and was surprised that they sell very small ones - small enough to fit into the glass piece. I had to laugh, as the question of what to use for a stopper has been asked repeatedly and this solution - or yours - is a simple one. I really liked your pin/twine enhancement. :whip:

Thanks!

1_gr8_underdog

Trapped in the Astral Planes Back from the dead
Hello, new to this site just for this reason... I've had my q tower for a while now ans I love it but I went to turn it on a few weeks back and it turns on for a second then turns off. The light on the power supply also dims. Please help! I love this thing! I was thinking maybe I need to buy a now power cord or something... any suggestions? Thanks!
Welcome, the Q/v-tower has a 3 yr warranty on the electronics and a lifetime warranty on the heating element if I remember correctly. I would contact Arizer directly here http://arizer.com/contacts/
or email them at:SERVICE@ARIZER.COM

1_gr8_underdog,

tinydancer22

hottest of pinks
It
I was at Ace Hardware today buying some corks and was surprised that they sell very small ones - small enough to fit into the glass piece. I had to laugh, as the question of what to use for a stopper has been asked repeatedly and this solution - or yours - is a simple one. I really liked your pin/twine enhancement. :whip:

So not under warranty? Where did you purchase?

It was quite a while ago so I doubt the warranty would still be available. I believe I bought it off amazon so it might have not offered one since it wasn't through the manufacturer. I will check that. But I don't mind paying if its not too steep.what is my next step?

tinydancer22,

tinydancer22

hottest of pinks
Thank you! If I didn't buy through the manufacturer would the warranty be valid? And if not, can I pay to have it repaired?

tinydancer22,

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
Thank you! If I didn't buy through the manufacturer would the warranty be valid? And if not, can I pay to have it repaired?

The warranty is honored when purchased through an authorized distributor or retailer, and IIRC there have been instances where warranty service has been provided even if not done so. I would contact Keith or Steve at Arizer (service@arizer.com) and tell them your problem (and serial number). From your description, the issue might be a faulty power brick; there have been a number of reports on that. If it's something more serious like a circuit board, then it is likely that the unit will have to go to Arizer; AFAIK distributors don't offer this level of repair service.

tinydancer22

hottest of pinks
The warranty is honored when purchased through an authorized distributor or retailer, and IIRC there have been instances where warranty service has been provided even if not done so. I would contact Keith or Steve at Arizer (service@arizer.com) and tell them your problem (and serial number). From your description, the issue might be a faulty power brick; there have been a number of reports on that. If it's something more serious like a circuit board, then it is likely that the unit will have to go to Arizer; AFAIK distributors don't offer this level of repair service.

Thanks so much for your help!

tinydancer22,

1_gr8_underdog

Also what's the general consensus here for using the fan with the whip? I never do but my friend that also has an extreme won't hit the whip unless the fan is on 2. Personally I don't like the feeling that my lungs are being inflated by the air.
I think you answered for me.:nod: I feel it is completely a matter of personal preference. I almost always use the fan with the whip. It makes it much easier for me to draw with the fan assist. If it makes you uncomfortable, skip that technique and stick with what works for you best.:tup:

1_gr8_underdog,
Reactions: cellardoor

oldiebutgoodie

. . . Also what's the general consensus here for using the fan with the whip? I never do but my friend that also has an extreme won't hit the whip unless the fan is on 2. Personally I don't like the feeling that my lungs are being inflated by the air.

My sense is that using the fan with the whip is uncommon; most use a passive draw and IME the fan doesn't really add if taking big hits. But some do use the fan/whip combo. Personally I used the fan/whip for a time, when I needed to baby my lungs; I just let the fan push the vapor thru the whip as if blowing a bag. But then I started to use a water piece and . . .

Learned that it is not good to block the fan's air flow between hits, which means either taking hits somewhat quickly in succession or toggling the fan off between hits. Blocking the whip air flow will, according to Arizer, create back-pressure into the fan which can shorten its life. That is the same whether simply putting one's finger over the mouthpiece, or by leaving the whip attached to the water piece GonG joint (the fan is not powerful enough to push vapor thru water).

Ironically enough, this all resulted in a quest for a different, as drag-free as possible, set up. A different bowl, shortened whip, and the right glass piece, eliminated any benefit I had previously received using the fan/whip. It also resulted in me coming down with a bad case of GAS. :ko:

YMMV.

ROSSTA

Hey Oldie but goodie, I also have a Q and I have it set up through glass pieces with water also. I used to use the fan with whip hits but now that i have made the move to water I am finding i dont need to. My question for you is what did you do to change the bowl? That is my next step.

Thanks in advance.

ROSSTA,

cellardoor

Hey Oldie but goodie, I also have a Q and I have it set up through glass pieces with water also. I used to use the fan with whip hits but now that i have made the move to water I am finding i dont need to. My question for you is what did you do to change the bowl? That is my next step.

Thanks in advance.

Have you heard of the elbow pack?

cellardoor,

ROSSTA

Elbow pack is the only way to go IMO. I just notice that after the first hit of the elbow the middle is dark brown and the outsides still are good so stirring is needed. Hard to stir in the elbow so i end up dumping it out stirring and repacking for one more hit. Just thought maybe someone had a new bowl that would vape it all in one big hit. thanks for asking cellardoor i appreciate it.

ROSSTA,

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Cellar - I appreciate your enthusiasm. Really I do! Always great to see someone get into vaping and IMHO, the Q is a great place to start. But.... you gotta learn to use the search function! Has been a while since I plowed through the whole thread, but all of your answers are already here. Remember, when you search you can click to search just this thread. A very good way to go for most of the questions you're asking.

All of that aside... DUDE! GET SOME SILICONE TUBING!!! I know its not a big deal to many, but I couldn't even have that stock pvc stinking tubing in my house (and from the one DBV tube I've used 7th Floor isn't too much better). Fortunately I had some silicone around from another vape when my Q arrived and have never used anything but silicone. It has virtually no taste or smell, can be purchased in many sizes (for more wide open or restricted draw), and is super flexible so no more knocking the Q around (or having to worry about pushing your glass off the table with the tubing) and think is much easier to deal with on/off the elbows. 10 feet will last a good long while. You can't really clean with iso and reclaim (or I wouldn't suggest it) but you can drag a screw through with a wire or string and scrape most of it out. IME it usually only gets really gunky at the end, so I just cut off the last few inches every so often and replace when the whole tube gets too yellow-y. I usually get mine from Amazon. The link has been posted in the thread a few times, but if you're having trouble finding it, let me know. I'll dig it up. You might want to check this link out too: Whip Tubing - All Your Questions Answered

So many posts in here on elbow packing, it could almost be its own thread! Search just "elbow" on this thread and go back to the earlier posts. But yes, elbow = good.

No offense man... we all do the same when we get started on here. Please don't take it poorly. Truly do love seeing the fresh excitement!

flotntoke,

mattstermh

Just bought this for $155 brand new (2012 model). I don't really know anything about it. Comes with:

1 - Extreme Q Vaporizer
New Style Remote Control
2 Balloons + 2 Glass Fittings
1 - Mini Whip For Balloons
1 - Three Foot Whip
2 - Extra Interchangeable Mouthpieces
1 - Potpourri Dish
2 - Cyclone Bowls
1 - Glass Stirring Tool Extra Screens Extreme Q Instructions
1 Power Adapter(110v-240v)/Power Cord

Did I get a good deal? What should I know about this vape going in? I used to own a DBV.

mattstermh,

harmudge

Seems a reasonable deal...but I'm not in the U.S.
For any info, you have 209 pages of all the info you would ever need for this vape...daunting it may be, but there is some good info in here.

harmudge,

oldiebutgoodie

. . . My question for you is what did you do to change the bowl? That is my next step.

To be more clear, I probably should have said "replaced" rather than "changed". As I recall, I used a box vapor type bowl with a female joint like the cyclone. (Sorry, can't remember exactly which but I bought it online from one of the major vape etailers.) Thick milky hits @200C. Essentially, elbow-pack results without the added drag.

oldiebutgoodie,

oldiebutgoodie

. . . Did I get a good deal? What should I know about this vape going in? I used to own a DBV.

Yes, assuming you have the warranty.

As harmudge said, it is strongly recommended to read thru this thread, daunting as that is. It's the only way to know how to get the most out of your machine.

Going in, hmmm . . .

Start at ~160C and work your way up to find your sweet spot(s)
Start with the bag before using the whip, easier to familiarize yourself with the device that way
Replace the stock pvc with silicone, discussed here many times
Learn about elbow-packing
etc.

Enjoy your Q.

oldiebutgoodie,

mattstermh

Ok, so I set up the bag my own little way, I tied a lil rubber band instead of using the black tiny clip it came with. Seems just fine.

Anywho, I turned it on to 235 (Celsius, Idk if there is a Fahrenheit option?) for 10 mins to kill any chemicals. How much bud should I put in the bowl? And what temp/fan setting should I use? I am about to use a bag, not whip. Thanks

Also, should I pack the bud down?

Last question: To use aromatherapy, what button do I press once the flowers are inside the bowl?

mattstermh,

1_gr8_underdog

Anywho, I turned it on to 235 (Celsius, Idk if there is a Fahrenheit option?) for 10 mins to kill any chemicals.
Yes there is a F setting press the m button 6 times to cycle to the F or C screen. Then use the arrow buttons to toggle between them.
How much bud should I put in the bowl? Also, should I pack the bud down?And what temp/fan setting should I use? I am about to use a bag, not whip. Thanks
Try not to pack it to tightly. I fill maybe 1/4th of the way up to the black part of the bowl for 2 nice bags. Let blend preheat for a minute or two. I start at 329F let it blow on fan speed three around 30sec. go up to 338F let it blow +/-30sec go up to 347F let it blow +/-30sec then my first bag is full. Second bag same 356F up to 383~92 depending on the blend I'm using.
I'm using the older Q with 9degree intervals. Good Luck and practice makes perfect:tup:

1_gr8_underdog

Good tips fellas, thanks. What about for aromatherapy?
It is a great machine for aroma therapy. You can take any potpourri wet it then dry it slightly on a paper towel (so it is not dripping) place it in the aroma cup that came with it and start at the lowest heat with the fan on whatever speed (usually three for me) then work your way up with the temperature till you find the strength of aroma you find pleasing. You can also use essential oil on a cotton ball in the cup to disperse aroma in the same manner. Be careful not to allow the cotton to become dry as it may catch fire:o

1_gr8_underdog,

oldiebutgoodie

Ok, so I set up the bag my own little way, I tied a lil rubber band instead of using the black tiny clip it came with. Seems just fine.

Anywho, I turned it on to 235 (Celsius, Idk if there is a Fahrenheit option?) for 10 mins to kill any chemicals. How much bud should I put in the bowl? And what temp/fan setting should I use? I am about to use a bag, not whip. Thanks

Also, should I pack the bud down?

Last question: To use aromatherapy, what button do I press once the flowers are inside the bowl?

Sounds like you're struggling with that second o-ring. You should try it with arthritis in your fingers. :lol:
I have used a twist-tie instead and it's worked just fine - just make sure it's tight.

Yes there is a Fahrenheit option. Page 2 of the manual. Under the Menu button on the panel, toggled with the Up/Down keys.

The amount of herb to use, the temp, and the fan setting are all very subjective. There are some hints in the manual, insights thru this thread. It's very important to experiment, starting low and slow until you learn the machine. The Q's strength is its flexibility, but it takes a while to capitalize on that to find what you like best.

As a suggestion . . . try filling the cyclone about only a third, no more than half, up to the teflon. Start with 160C, no more than 190C. Let the cyclone heat up at least 10, even better 20 minutes; you can accelerate that by pre-heating the bowl empty at like 230C, then dropping to your vape temp, just be careful when adding the herb 'cause the bowl is very hot now. Do not pack the herb, and grind it to small and fluffy but not real fine. Re fan speed, on page 5 of the manual Arizer suggests using Fan 3; personally I find that this sometimes clogs the elbow screen (a lot of that depends on size of load, dryness and grind of herb), so I most often use Fan 2. Others feel that Fan 1 delivers thicker vapor. Again, there are several variables at work together so you just need to experiment with that. Also, while blowing the bag stop the fan once or twice, lift the elbow, and use the glass stick to clear any material from the screen plus also stir the bowl.

Others have their own techniques and suggestions, this is just my :2c:.

I don't use the aromatherapy bowl, but there is a section in the manual about it on the inside of the back flap.

Have I mentioned that there is a lot of good info in this thread? :D

Top Bottom