The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

Jiltut

oldiebutgoodie said:
It also sounds like you may have ears like a bat. Be happy about that. :) Of course, if you have a significant other, s/he may not feel the same way. I swear my wife not only hears the softest of sounds across the house, but she hears across a very wide range of pitch, too. She can easily hear the TV at half the volume I can or even less. She also was a singer, so she has a trained ear, to boot. I can't get away with nothin' when she's nearby. Of course, wouldn't you know that the one loud sound that apparently she doesn't tune in to is her own snoring. I'm damned either way. :lol:

Well I guess having good hearing may have some bonuses, in your wife's case it must help with singing, not noticed any myself yet. I have to wear earplugs every night just for sleeping even though it's a quiet place, lol at your wife's hearing abilities sounds very familiar. The worst sounds are the ones just in range, I can hear them but not loud enough to clearly decipher, they flicker on & off ahhh! hell.

Here's the sound bite, remember it was recorded with my Canon cam, which also has very good "hearing", from a foot away, positioned on the same surface as the EQ.

7 - 21s -Fan speed 1
22 - 34s -Fan speed 2
35 - 52s -Fan speed 3
53 - End -Power off

Qfan.mp3 - 0.91MB

Jiltut,

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
Jiltut said:
Here's the sound bite, remember it was recorded with my Canon cam, which also has very good "hearing", from a foot away, positioned on the same surface as the EQ.

7 - 21s -Fan speed 1
22 - 34s -Fan speed 2
35 - 52s -Fan speed 3
53 - End -Power off

As far as raw volume from the file, it's impossible to tell. I have to turn my volume up for that to be loud. When I play mp3's at the same setting, they are substantially louder. But that in itself isn't indicative.

I noticed high-pitched pings at every point the fan was turned up; is that the unit itself doing that? Mine doesn't, and it is a year old, and I certainly thought it was a brand new factory authorized unit at the time.

The type of sound does seem just like air movement, but a lot of it. The rpm's sound high. Do a crude CFM experiment - turn the unit on at 50C with the Cyclone empty and the Arizer bag attached, and then turn on Fan 3. How much time to blow the bag full?

oldiebutgoodie,

Jiltut

oldiebutgoodie said:
Jiltut said:

7 - 21s -Fan speed 1
22 - 34s -Fan speed 2
35 - 52s -Fan speed 3
53 - End -Power off

As far as raw volume from the file, it's impossible to tell. I have to turn my volume up for that to be loud. When I play mp3's at the same setting, they are substantially louder. But that in itself isn't indicative.

I noticed high-pitched pings at every point the fan was turned up; is that the unit itself doing that? Mine doesn't, and it is a year old, and I certainly thought it was a brand new factory authorized unit at the time.

The type of sound does seem just like air movement, but a lot of it. The rpm's sound high. Do a crude CFM experiment - turn the unit on at 50C with the Cyclone empty and the Arizer bag attached, and then turn on Fan 3. How much time to blow the bag full?

To be fair it didn't sound as loud today, I'm almost positive it was me just being hyper alert down to being the first time I'd used it etc. I tried a fresh bag so it was still crinkled etc, that took 1min 54seconds to be fully inflated, after folding & emptying completely the second time around with a once used uncrinkled bag it took 1min 30seconds to be fully inflated. I was very impressed with the speed, how long do other folks EQs take to fill a bag?

I had the sound turned on to indicate when the fan speed was changing for the sound bite, that's what the high pitched ping sounds are, same sound you get when changing temp/turn it on/off etc when not in silent mode.

Jiltut,

oldiebutgoodie

Jiltut said:
To be fair it didn't sound half as loud today, I'm almost positive it was me just being hyper alert down to being the first time I'd used it etc. I tried a fresh bag so it was still crinkled etc that took 1min 54seconds to be fully inflated, after folding & emptying completely the second time around with a once used bag it took 1min 30seconds to be fully inflated, I was very impressed with the speed, how long does yours take?

Exactly 1:30 as well. This test, admittedly crude, might reveal obstruction (which would increase time) or over-volting (driving up the rpm's which might decrease time). The only other thing I can think of is that there could be material fragments around the blades. Blowing compressed air from the bottom might free such fragments, but not likely (the fan blades would ordinarily do that). What you could do is remove the bottom plate and inspect the fan area. You could blow it out with compressed air, just be careful not to put the nozzle to close (it's highly unlikely you would dislodge a solder joint, but no need to take any chances because if you did, you probably wouldn't know until a later malfunction). I wouldn't dismount the fan unless you feel you must because balance is important; if you choose to do so take note of the torque on the screws and when you re-mount it alternate tightening the screws to the same torque you felt before; be very careful not to over-tighten.

Or it could just be your ears. :D

oldiebutgoodie,

MrNorml

Jiltut said:
My EQ arrived today, real happy with how it looks, very impressed by the size, it's much smaller than I expected :). Anyway in my usual style I screwed up with one small thing as usual, I'd bought a US to UK plug adapter failing to realize that the EQ would have a 3pin Canadian plug, even though the holes were semi-there on the adapter plug they were no go, gonna try pick up a 3pin adapter plug tomorrow, apparently most pound shops sell them.

So I didn't have much to do but stare blankly at the EQ & then unwrap every individual piece, in my boredom if you could call it that I started pulling all the glass mouthpieces then trying to remove the evil PVC tubing from the elbows, so I could try out this silicone tubing I bought. In true me style after freeing the main elbow, I managed to then pull apart & break the other glass elbow while trying my hardest to ease the PVC tube from it.

Decided I'm just going to cut a little bit of this silicone tubing off & just gonna stick it straight into a cheapo small glass bong that I've decided to just use then onto my only remaining elbow for water filtration without any stem or joint connection thingy. When I want to use my silicone whip I guess I'll just have to pull things apart & switch with just the one elbow.

Wondering if I need to or it would be best to soak any of the screens or glass before I first use this thing?

Thanks

I would replace the elbow if you want to use it as intended. Balloon whip needs elbow/screen; inhalation requires screen somewhere, elbow is good enough spot for it. But you could get 'generic' elbows, which you can get at some head shops/glass shops. For future reference, I understand the tubes are easier to release from whip if the glass is hot/warm vs. cold.
Make sure to run it on as hot as you can for the first 15-30 min, to 'burn off' some 'stuff' 'they' put on it. No need for cyclone bowl on then but it couldn't hurt it... Otherwise all should be good to go 'as is'.
Take your time and build the system you want, but if you remove the basics that came with it you may not get all the benefits of it. They put that stuff on it for a reason. The glass stem at the end of the long inhalation whip can go right into the short balloon whip to make a GonG connection; that can fit into water device. Remove glass tip from short whip and you're back to long whip with mouthpiece, and short whip for balloons. Use whatever tubing you want but strongly consider replacing the 'elbow' since lots of users will suggest packing the elbow with material for enhanced using pleasure. And you will need screens between the plant material and your lungs.
You got an awesome vaporizer - hope it works well for you.

MrNorml,

TNK

I find I'm too preoccupied trippin out listening to bag grow, its like the old jiffy pop popcorn you listen for the last creek of the bag then you know its jiffy time!!!!!!

TNK,

oldiebutgoodie

MrNorml said:
I would replace the elbow if you want to use it as intended. Balloon whip needs elbow/screen; inhalation requires screen somewhere, elbow is good enough spot for it. But you could get 'generic' elbows, which you can get at some head shops/glass shops. For future reference, I understand the tubes are easier to release from whip if the glass is hot/warm vs. cold.
Make sure to run it on as hot as you can for the first 15-30 min, to 'burn off' some 'stuff' 'they' put on it. No need for cyclone bowl on then but it couldn't hurt it... Otherwise all should be good to go 'as is'.
Take your time and build the system you want, but if you remove the basics that came with it you may not get all the benefits of it. They put that stuff on it for a reason. The glass stem at the end of the long inhalation whip can go right into the short balloon whip to make a GonG connection; that can fit into water device. Remove glass tip from short whip and you're back to long whip with mouthpiece, and short whip for balloons. Use whatever tubing you want but strongly consider replacing the 'elbow' since lots of users will suggest packing the elbow with material for enhanced using pleasure. And you will need screens between the plant material and your lungs.
You got an awesome vaporizer - hope it works well for you.

It's of note that the Arizer elbow with screen is specifically designed to create a certain amount of back-pressure into the Cyclone. This isn't a factor if only an elbow-pack is used, but if herb is in the Cyclone (or combined with herb in the elbow as a few users do), it's the back-pressure which creates the air turbulence for more even cooking and less stirring.

oldiebutgoodie,

oldiebutgoodie

SourJim said:
Nobody is gnna helP me?

Do you mean from the following post?

SourJim said:
Any tips or any home made devices for the extreme q been a extreme q owner for 2 years and very happy just trying to improve my experience with it. A trick I learned yesterday take about .2 and pack it in the elbow put it on 392f and your good for 20-40 minutes. I used to use about .4 but I found half lasts te same and gives Harder hits so why not conserve right? Lol

Not sure what the question actually is. I think that "tips" is kinda too general. And "home made devices", well, you'll find those scattered throughout this thread. Or were you looking for something specific?

oldiebutgoodie,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
I can't work out what that thing is on top your EQ that the whips connected to?

To be honest I don't like the length of that whip. It gives too much area for the vapor to collect and condense. I have as short a tube as I can - about 12 cm - just enough to stick in a down stem.

But if that suits you then roll with it :peace:

J.R.R.Tokin',

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
^ It's a tuff bowl.

The only thing I homemade for my Q is a piece of folded paper to be able to drop the herb in the cyclone without making a mess... :D

Vaporisateur,
Ya u guys are right it's a tuff bowl I have a really bad habit of breaking glass so the tough bowl is pretty good for me. The whip isn't actually long it's much shorter then the one included with the EQ I built the shelf today so I can lay in bed and medicate because my bed is like. 5 feet off te ground ( captains bed I got as a gift). Either way glad u guys like the setup

SourJim,

oldiebutgoodie

SourJim said:
I mean I wouldn't mind searching through the thread but it's like 150 pages. Anyway the type of homemade things im interested in are like cooling chambers or Somthing like that Id really appreciate the help. Also I have about 6gs of Abv anyone think thts enough for lollipops? Btw I built this today what do u guys think http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q174/jmfran069/?action=viewt=b5ff53ad.jpg&evt=user_media_share

I don't mean to be un-supportive, but truth-be-told your best bet is to just work your way through this thread and some of the others for the more popular big hitting vapes like the SSV and DBV. Because your basically asking about using glass, and other than the few glass specific threads that tend to be for higher-end connoisseur stuff, most of the discussion is just scattered through the vape threads.

The only advice you'll get at just this moment will be from anyone tracking this thread who also happens to be using glass with the Q. I am - I use a Headford 11-slit inline bubbler you can find at ALT, along with a shortened silicone whip. Works great. But that's all I have to offer.

As far as ABV, you need to use the Search engine setting to display "Topics" rather than "Posts" (the former is the default). There's a bit of discussion on this thread, but by far most is on dedicated ABV threads about medibles, tinctures, and the like. If you search on Topics you'll pretty easily see those threads.

Finally, in ref to your current setup, all I can say is to second J.R.R.Tokin about the whip length. The 36" is really just intended if you're doing a sharing thing so it can reach everyone. For solo use, you'll get a lot less drag, less condensation, less accumulation with a shorter tube. And speaking of accumulation, omigod that tube is brown. Looks to me like you need to reclaim and thoroughly clean, or maybe better yet, replace.

My :2c:

oldiebutgoodie,
oldiebutgoodie said:
SourJim said:
I mean I wouldn't mind searching through the thread but it's like 150 pages. Anyway the type of homemade things im interested in are like cooling chambers or Somthing like that Id really appreciate the help. Also I have about 6gs of Abv anyone think thts enough for lollipops? Btw I built this today what do u guys think http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q174/jmfran069/?action=viewt=b5ff53ad.jpg&evt=user_media_share

I don't mean to be un-supportive, but truth-be-told your best bet is to just work your way through this thread and some of the others for the more popular big hitting vapes like the SSV and DBV. Because your basically asking about using glass, and other than the few glass specific threads that tend to be for higher-end connoisseur stuff, most of the discussion is just scattered through the vape threads.

The only advice you'll get at just this moment will be from anyone tracking this thread who also happens to be using glass with the Q. I am - I use a Headford 11-slit inline bubbler you can find at ALT, along with a shortened silicone whip. Works great. But that's all I have to offer.

As far as ABV, you need to use the Search engine setting to display "Topics" rather than "Posts" (the former is the default). There's a bit of discussion on this thread, but by far most is on dedicated ABV threads about medibles, tinctures, and the like. If you search on Topics you'll pretty easily see those threads.

Finally, in ref to your current setup, all I can say is to second J.R.R.Tokin about the whip length. The 36" is really just intended if you're doing a sharing thing so it can reach everyone. For solo use, you'll get a lot less drag, less condensation, less accumulation with a shorter tube. And speaking of accumulation, omigod that tube is brown. Looks to me like you need to reclaim and thoroughly clean, or maybe better yet, replace.

My :2c:
i tried cleaning it with iso and i got about 2gs of golden stuff but it had a silicon taste and gave a very weird psychoactive high id say. id love to buy a new tube but i dont have the money right now and also i hate the taste of the plastic when there new.

SourJim,

oldiebutgoodie

SourJim said:
i tried cleaning it with iso and i got about 2gs of golden stuff but it had a silicon taste and gave a very weird psychoactive high id say. id love to buy a new tube but i dont have the money right now and also i hate the taste of the plastic when there new.

Sorry to hear that, in all respects. Hmmm . . . 2gs suggests a lot of build-up. And cleaning with ISO, AFAIK you'd need to leech that off or do a tincture or something like that. I wonder if that wasn't a factor in the weird high, maybe also the tubing. What I've seen recommended here is to use the string & screw method where you pull the screw through the tube with a string and with it comes the build-up.

Also, what tubing are you using? I've never had any taste thrown-off by my silicone, and tubing that tastes plastic sounds like PVC not silicone. Fwiw, I and many others here use medical grade silicone. The consensus here is that the stock PVC that comes with the Q kinda sucks, even though it is medical grade. I buy my tubing from Amazon for under a $1 a foot. Might be worth considering when you have some bread.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FMWTSY/

oldiebutgoodie,

exmilker

SourJim said:

how long did u leave the iso in the silicon tube for and did u rinse the inner and outer tube with hot water to warm up the product so it would be easier to extract?... im thinkin about doin the same but i dont think i would want to inhale something that tastes like silicon... would that be safe?

oldiebutgoodie said:
you'd need to leech that off or do a tincture or something like that

what do you mean by "leech that off"? and how do tinctures work are they meant for fill it yourself e-ciggs or is it meant to be consumed, like a mouth spray?... how do u make a tincture using iso?

exmilker,
thanks ill check it out. what size should i make my whip i mean i like it longer tho because i constantly have friends over and my bed is about 5 feet off the ground lol thts why i built the shelf had no real place to put it for 2 years finally stopped being lazy and did somthin about it.

SourJim,
Top Bottom