The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Clinton vs. Trump becomes chess vs. professional wrestling
10/10/16 08:00 AM—Updated 10/10/16 08:07 AM

By Steve Benen
Traditionally, the point of presidential debates has been fairly straightforward. Candidates and their campaign teams saw the events as opportunities to demonstrate a command of the issues, tout the strengths of their platforms, knock the flaws in their opponents’ platforms, all while appearing presidential on a national platform.

Donald Trump neither knows nor cares about the traditional point of presidential debates, and the result was a genuinely bizarre spectacle unlike anything Americans have ever seen.

Given Hillary Clinton’s obvious advantages – on competence, stature, coherence, etc. – it’s tempting to describe this year’s second presidential debate as an example of chess vs. checkers, but that would understate matters. Last night was a more an example of chess vs. professional wrestling.

It started with a ridiculous photo-op with several ’90s-era Bill Clinton accusers ahead of the debate, only to intensify during the debate itself. Trump ignored questions, whiffed on substance, lied repeatedly, delivered gutter attacks, all while trashing democratic norms in ways fair-minded observers should have found terrifying.

Trump has apparently earned some pundit praise for delivering a “spirited” performance, which is true, though hardly admirable. A toddler throwing a tantrum may appear spirited in the midst of a meltdown, but Americans shouldn’t want the child making life-and-death decisions from the Oval Office. Others have lauded Trump’s willingness to be “aggressive” during the debate, which is also true, but more worrisome than impressive. A blind-folded person swinging a stick at a pinata may also appear aggressive, but it’s not a qualification for international leadership.

There was an obvious cloud hanging over the debate, which is inevitable when one of the candidates is heard bragging about sexual assault. Asked about the 2005 recording, Trump insisted it was “locker-room talk,” before trying to change the subject to ISIS.

He eventually said he didn’t do the things he claimed to have done. It’s a curious defense when a candidate says, in effect, “Don’t worry, I was lying.”

But perhaps no moment was as striking as Trump’s vow to abuse the powers of the presidency. As part of the discussion of his record of abusive conduct, the Republican candidate turned his attention to Clinton’s emails.

“I’ll tell you what. I didn’t think I’d say this, but I’m going to say it, and I hate to say it. But if I win, I am going to instruct my attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation, because there has never been so many lies, so much deception. There has never been anything like it, and we’re going to have a special prosecutor…. It’s a disgrace, and honestly, you ought to be ashamed.”
When Clinton said it’s a good thing “someone with the temperament of Donald Trump is not in charge of the law in our country,” he interrupted to declare, “Because you’d be in jail.”

The GOP nominee did get at least part of this right: there’s “never been anything like” this.
discussed at the time, there’s no parallel in the American tradition for anything like this. The United States is not some banana republic, where one party vows to lock up the leaders of the other after the election.

Indeed, stop to think about what the Republican candidate was declaring last night. Once in the White House, a President Trump would order the Justice Department to go after his former opponent – a private citizen – because he wants to imprison her in the name of partisan vengeance.

Trump was describing an abuse of power without rival in the history of the United States, and he did so with glee, to the delight of his rabid followers.

If this doesn’t make you nervous, perhaps you’re not paying close enough attention. To see this as business as usual, or somehow normal in American politics, is a terrible mistake.

Trump, the personification of a right-wing blog’s comments section, intends to take some of the worst characteristics of foreign countries and inject them into our body politic.

I know the theatrics of the debate will dominate much of the post-event chatter, but it’s hard to imagine what could matter more than this.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I'd really appreciate it if this election would stop 'entertaining me' and get back to boring me the way other elections have.

You can tell when a debate punch lands in this election. The candidate pivots or outright just refuses to answer the original question asked.

Trump pivots, deflects and defers probably 90%. Hillary comes in around the 20% mark. It's so obvious when it's happening that it's sickening and infuriating. :puke: :bang:

When they go low, we go high......spare me. It should be changed to ..... when they go low, I go get high.

EDIT: Wait....I'm wrong about that change.....nobody can afford to get that high that often.

Last edited:

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Especially when CNN runs a crawl at the bottom of the screen stating what the original question is for the whole time that the candidate is pivoting. I'm like...."ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION !!".

Not just CNN, C-SPAN did the same.

These have got to be the worst presidential debates I've watched since I started watchin' them in the '70s(missed a couple). What pure fucking bullshit.

Tranquility

Not just CNN, C-SPAN did the same.

These have got to be the worst presidential debates I've watched since I started watchin' them in the '70s(missed a couple). What pure fucking bullshit.
I skipped this last one and watched a re-run of The Gilmore Girls (Wife did not go for the X-files recommendation.) and a Ghost in the Shell movie instead.

From what I've read so far, nothing of real interest happened so I think I made a good choice.

TeeJay1952

Citizens asking "What is it you like about the other?" is perhaps the biggest waste of my time in long spell.
I stopped watching Grey's Anatomy because the gave up on the medicine and it became all about who is zooming who (Entertainment Hollywood Access Tonight anyone?). So much about Trimp is more objectionable that I am amused by the lowering of political discourse.
30 years and why haven't you done anything? he said.
It's because you don't pay taxes! she said.
Trumps vision of Orders from on high style government sounds like fantasy world. And not a good one.

Extreme Vetting
Extreme Wall
Extreme Interrogation Techniques
Extreme Firing of Military leadership
Extreme Stop & Frisk
I am just going to open a Mountain Dew sit and watch. I am out of outrage.

gangababa

Because Hillary and the Donald are non-different, let us indeed vote Republican straight ticket.
Or skip the hard stuff (like building a party from the county up) and go straight to vote (like Trump supporters) for pie in the sky, big-blue-frog Presidents*.

Turn the entire government over to the crazies, not just for four years but for decades minimum; that can be enough to guarantee we completely destroy constitutional democracy (repeal) and replace it with republican control by oligarchy. Supreme Court deification for all mammon.
Facebook-Murica-e34a40.png

Women grab your genitals, the wands are coming, just for a look, you know, because the crazies will own USA (us all) and like gawker/ groper Trump, seek to strip USA (us all) naked** because- ownership.

If votes don't matter ,then war-lord, king-of-the-hill thugs with exponentially growing un-taxed inherited wealth will continue ignoring the environment.

*Music and philosophy by Peter, Paul and Mary, wherein the joke goes both ways and everyone is caught in the game

** Extreme (vaginal) vetting

TeeJay1952

Ya know other than Bernie and E Warren, who are the American stars waiting in the wings? Is there anyone out there in their mid 40's with vision, foresight, moral turpitude and other various leadership qualities? I think Tim has hit his high water mark as did Joe before him. I have a bad case of the warm and fuzzy memories. I remember 15 - 20 Serious Senators and Governors at any given moment in my lifetime. Both side of the aisle were filled with great orators with ideas and History tells us of great minds discussing philosophical points before compromising for the common good.
Now we get Ted Cruz and Steve King as opposed to Ted Kennedy and Everett Dirksen. Nelson Rockefeller and George Wallace. Governors representing a point of view. Who speaks for their State now? No one stands out in my mind.

With this in mind I feel I have no choice but to second (or is it third) @ataxian for world leader or President or what ever title he chooses. When he drops Florida and breaks it everyone will understand and.....be civilized!

gangababa

... Is there anyone out there in their mid 40's with vision, foresight, moral turpitude and other various leadership qualities?... of great minds discussing philosophical points before compromising for the common good.
With this in mind I feel I have no choice but to second (or is it third) @ataxian for world leader or President or what ever title he chooses. When he drops Florida and breaks it everyone will understand and.....be civilized!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Ya know other than Bernie and E Warren, who are the American stars waiting in the wings? Is there anyone out there in their mid 40's with vision, foresight, moral turpitude and other various leadership qualities? I think Tim has hit his high water mark as did Joe before him. I have a bad case of the warm and fuzzy memories. I remember 15 - 20 Serious Senators and Governors at any given moment in my lifetime. Both side of the aisle were filled with great orators with ideas and History tells us of great minds discussing philosophical points before compromising for the common good.
Now we get Ted Cruz and Steve King as opposed to Ted Kennedy and Everett Dirksen. Nelson Rockefeller and George Wallace. Governors representing a point of view. Who speaks for their State now? No one stands out in my mind.

When I was a young boy in the 60's my Dad took us to Regan rallies for Governor.

You're right @TeeJay1952 who is left in the political process?

I would never be elected!
First of all I'm a VAPORIST, PRO-CANNABIS, PRO-EDUCATION which is not a popular position to have!

"Making AMERICA = CIVILIZED AGAIN"

That should be the saying! (slogan)

Hey SHATTER SHATTER SHATTER = CIVILIZED

Maybe some young hopeful will rise next cycle?

1963? How sad was it to drive home after school?

405 FWY was 2 lanes?
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot!

Last edited:

BD9

Maybe I don't understand what they're saying but are these people intimating his 'words' or the 'action' is not sexual assault? Or worse, both?
If someone grabs my genitals without my permission isn't that sexual assault? If I say "I grabbed their genitals" isn't describing an act of sexual assault?
These fucking politicians are so full of double talk and spin it makes my fucking head spin. This is why I will never, never vote republican. Yes, I know it happens on both sides but.............DAYUM!!

Trump surrogates not sure groping is sexual assault

“I think that’s a stretch,” Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions told the Weekly Standard on Sunday night. “I don’t know what he meant.”

“So if you grab a woman by the genitals, that’s not sexual assault?” the Weekly Standard’s John McCormack asked.

“I don’t know,” Sessions replied. “It’s not clear that he — how that would occur.”

“When Anderson Cooper pressed Mr. Trump on sexual assault, Donald Trump shot back and said, No, that’s not what this was. These are words,” Conway said. “And I think there’s something there, because this term ‘sexual assault’ has been bandied about, and I will tell you as somebody who’s worked with and certainly has in my life, as I’m sure we all do, victims of sexual assault, it demeans them to equate that with this for political purposes.”

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Touching someones genitals or kissing them on the lips against their wishes is sexual assault. Period.

"Sexual assault is any type of forced or coerced sexual contact or behavior that happens without consent. Sexual assault includes rape and attempted rape, child molestation, and sexual harassment or threats."

BD9

Touching someones genitals or kissing them on the lips against their wishes is sexual assault. Period.
"Sexual assault is any type of forced or coerced sexual contact or behavior that happens without consent. Sexual assault includes rape and attempted rape, child molestation, and sexual harassment or threats."

That's what I thought, but I'm not a republican................

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I think the whole Trump family trotting out for everyone to see every time Trump has a special occasion looks ridiculous and stupid. He parades them out as if they are a sense of accomplishment for him. A trophy for the world to see. He just used his sperm. Ivanna raised those kids with the help of many other people I'm sure. As adults he has poisoned their minds with his opinion and attitudes. They know nothing of what real people go through in life.

The pictures of the two Trump sons with the beautiful rare animals they killed is enough to make a person sick. A couple of spoiled rich boys with too much money and time on their hands. With that aire of entitlement.

Supposably the kids are the only ones that have any influence over him when he isn't listening to common sense. So if this bafoon becomes president we are going to be at the mercy of Donald Jr., Eric and Ivanka Trump.

I'm hoping for more film footage of Trump or tapes of him acting like himself saying the sexual inappropriate statements regarding women. It looks like Hillary is doing well and I'm hoping nothing comes out beforehand to hurt her chances. I just like to be cautious, we can't let our guard down.

The debate last night should be enough to scare the hell out of folks watching Trump skulking around the stage. Walking up behind Hillary like a crazy person. It was really weird I thought in body language alone. The way he was gripping onto the chair and standing there with a scowl.
Obviously Trump gets a runny nose when he gets nervous. He had that sniffing thing going on again.

To bring out the women that had been Bill Clinton's accusers was too much for most sane people. All of that had been hashed out back in the late 1980s and 90s. If Trump continues this it just makes him look like an idiot.

Edit
Hillary Clinton for President of the United States | Foreign Policy
Foreign Policy › 2016/10/09 › foreign-p...
1 day ago - Hillary Clinton for President of the United States « | Foreign Policy | the Global Magazine of News ... of Foreign Policy, the editors of this publication have never endorsed a candidate for political office.

I see Billy Bush has been suspended from NBC.

I heard David Gergin say the election is physically stressful for the country. That's the truth!

Last edited:

Krazy

Ya know other than Bernie and E Warren, who are the American stars waiting in the wings?
As a current resident of the Ugly Step child of MMJ states I really wanted to like X-Gov Gary Johnson. Not to actually be president. But to legitimize 3rd party candidates by picking up votes as Trump imploded. And then Allepo :rolleyes: !

Farid

The moderators for these debates has to be changed. I don't think the media has any place moderating debates.

They certainly have done an awful job fact checking. They have been trying to claim that Trump's statement that the Syrian Army is fighting ISIS is not true. Tell that to these Syrian soldiers:
2A3B533C00000578-3149469-image-m-24_1436029451577.jpg

Tell that to the Soldiers in Deir Ezzor or Palmyra or Tabqa who have laid down everything fighting ISIS trash.

For them to make such a false claim highlights how they are pushing a narrative, just like RT or any other state media outlet. Its funny because the same people who claim everything anti Clinton is Russian propaganda eat up the American propaganda like my lab eats his kibble.

Last edited:
Top Bottom