The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I think she knew she had a chance after Bernie was sent to the side but there wasn't enough coverage. Most people I talk to don't even know who she is.

I think it just has to do with informing the voting public of their options.

I think it just has to do with THE MONEY required to be able to inform the voting public of their options....which unfortunately starts with who has the money and what you can do for them to get some of it. :ugh:

Tranquility

I have not seen these angry moments you talk about. I'll have to look it up. And yeah, while most Americans would balk at the prospect of such a thing as a secured job or whatever nonsense is in the party platform, she's pretty down to earth and says those are backburner goals to say things like the environment, healthcare, education and infrastructure/economy policy that aligns with the public. I think she knew she had a chance after Bernie was sent to the side but there wasn't enough coverage. Most people I talk to don't even know who she is.

I think it just has to do with informing the voting public of their options.

Edit: @yogoshio I'm assuming you didn't see this. On policy alone, based on that poll, Jill Stein would beat Trump.
There are many problems with such polls. Let's say there was a poll here on something like legalization of marijuana in CA. Most would (I would guess.) vote "yes". However, when the amorphous phrase is reduced to actual policy, the vote may change. In an article in today's Los Angeles Times, they claim the "pot community" is divided on proposition 64. (The legalization proposition.) They point to a survey of the California Grower's Association on the measure where 31% were pro, 31% were con and 38% were undecided on the measure.

When the results of a poll differ from the theory of the pollster is when I listen. When it conforms to the pollster's beliefs, I think it more of an artfully worded question and/or a push poll.

Tranquility,

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
Yeah I understand that broad strokes capture more folks, but how do you get more granular on a policy poll than this?

Poll_zps4lzaf8zj.png

Edit: I would say where there may have been some form of bias is by not including questions that divide among party lines. But that's a lack of something, not a set-up question.

gangababa

About money in politics, who thinks a Republican controlled (lock-um-ups, stocks, and oil barrels) government will be the correction of our current trajectory towards oligarchy?

Beyond the Biblical tear-it down-demonstration that eventually led to the tearing down of the temple, Jesus could not get money out of the temple; and people still want Caesars and saviors.

Growing up Trump learned, 'greed good', at the temples within the society of his inherited status-social mores and norms.
He was simply keeping up with the Jones's down the street.
For some people, the streets are connected by private landing strips, and you can't walk there.

But this keeping up with the others is very wide spread. We jones for the latest desire driven by advertising; disproving the "words don't matter" nonsense/ self-defense of political selfishness (aka not-PC).

That which your great grandparents could not imagine became that desired by your grandparents, became a luxury to your parents, and now a necessity that we can't live without; solidified money in whatever form of home, furnishings, clothing, cars, cigars, gadgets, gidgets shoes, ships, shops, and other desired sh*+, soon to be left for our kids to clean up.

Success it seems, is solidifying LOTS of money under your name (Russian and Georgian dynasties began when their 'status quo' quapped out(sic); super success especially, grows exponentially when never taxed money is passed on as tax free inheritance.

Politics is we, deciding as wisely as we can, what we will welcome (accept) and wish for others (give). We in the USA claim to have the summum bonum of governmental theory.
Politics is making systems work for society not psychos; for us now and for us later in the longer than us USA.
Systems that benefit the few through suck out, suck up, and blow-up, shallow selfishness
sow a poor land for food, poisoned air to breathe, dirty water to drink, breeding social sickness.

If our here and now political choices, are here and now made, by here and now short-sighted selfish swinishness, the here and now may never be passed on as inheritance to our inheritors.

The legacy of selfishness is a sick, sad, rape of reality.

Last edited:

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
If you were to ask those questions with a tax rate applied to them the responses would change drastically. Same thing happened when Bernie released his tax plan. His ratings dropped.

yogoshio,
Reactions: BD9

Baron23

While fiscally conservative and socially liberal, I am not a Libertarian. I think there is a bigger role for government than envisioned by them and I have a couple of less-liberal areas than total freedom socially.

However, claiming the ideology is an excuse for not having any empathy for fellow human beings is untrue. The ideology has to do with freedom and responsibility. Individual liberty is the key and any other aspect is less valued. Being for individual liberty is not the same as not having any empathy for fellow human beings. It just puts a higher priority for teaching a man how to fish over giving him one.

As to knowledge of what people are voting for, you can do most any test or quiz you want and less than 1/2 of the people will be able to identify the vice president even if you give a picture and a name and 'ol Joe came down to give a reach around and say "hi" just before the question. Should we really expect too much more than "I like the cut of his jib on marijuana."?

Well said.

Baron23,

grokit

well-worn member
I though this was cute; instead of woodstock she goes to alaska.
I don't believe that killary's poor dinner table manners should disqualify her :lol:

Hillary-Rodham-3x2-Wellesley-College-1969-yearbook.jpg

Valdez, 1969

In the summer of 1969, 400,000 young people converged on Woodstock and the world watched Astronaut Neil Armstrong take his first step on the moon. Hillary Rodham was a new college graduate.

Valdez was a different world. "New" Valdez was in its infancy, nestled on the edge of the cloudy teal waters of Valdez Arm in Prince William Sound and crowned by the Chugach mountains. Just two years earlier, about 1,000 residents had moved the whole town 4 miles west following the disastrous 1964 earthquake. It would be several more years before construction of the trans-Alaska pipeline and the marine terminal would draw an army of workers to town.

In 1969, canneries sometimes put the young, seasonal workers up in primitive bunkhouses, fed them and offered access to the occasional shower that never quite washed off the fish smell. Often workers camped nearby. It wasn't uncommon for college kids to come up from the Lower 48 for the chance to make more than $60 a day. Some would work 12- to 16-hours shifts before heading back to school in the fall.

Hillary Rodham has said on many occasions she was one of those young seasonal workers.

In 1992, when Bill Clinton was running for president, Hillary Clinton told New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd over dinner about getting fired from her summer job "scooping the entrails of fish" at what she described as a Valdez fish processing plant "when she complained about their unhealthy looking state."

"They were purple and black and yucky looking," she recalled. She questioned the owner about how long the fish had been dead, and he warned her to stop asking questions. But she continued asking questions, and was fired within a week.

She didn't care. "I found another job," she said coolly.

Despite rumors to the contrary, the Valdez Museum does not have a copy of Clinton's "pink slip" from her supposed Valdez fish-processing firing, said curator Andrew Goldstein. Tourists, local residents and reporters have stopped by the museum for years with Hillary Clinton questions, he said.

Some of the details of Clinton's story about getting fired from a fish processing gig don't make much sense to locals...

more:
http://www.adn.com/politics/2016/10/05/the-untold-story-of-hillary-clintons-1969-summer-in-alaska/

:tup:

grokit,

Farid

Understood but tell me, @Farid, what do we do about this, or can we do anything about this:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/04/middl...-you-care-trnd/?iid=ob_lockedrail_bottomlarge

I certainly wouldn't impose a no fly zone and bomb Syrian government targets. Aleppo is close to falling to the Syrian government. A victory on either side is best for civilian casualties being low. For every "barrel bomb" dropped on rebel territory there is a "hell cannon" shot at loyalist territory. The mainstream news paints a false narrative of what actually happens in Syria. The reality on the ground is that civilians are killed by both sides, but all of the blame for civilian deaths falls on the Syrian government, even when those civilians are killed by rebels.

What would I do in Aleppo? I would do exactly what Bashar Assad just proposed. Grant amnesty to any rebels left in the city if they agree to leave. Civilians then would be able to re enter the city, and reconstruction could commence.

grokit

well-worn member
Donald Trump's support has plunged across the swing-state map during the last 10 days, wiping out his political recovery from September and threatening to undo weeks of Republican gains in the battle for control of Congress.

For his party, Trump's reversal in fortune comes at the worst possible moment: Having muted their criticism of Trump in hopes that he could at least run competitively through Election Day, Republicans must decide in the next few days, rather than weeks, whether to seek distance from his wobbly campaign.

Should Trump falter badly in his second debate with Hillary Clinton on Sunday in St. Louis, Republican congressional candidates may take it as a cue to flee openly from their nominee...

:myday:

lwien

What would I do in Aleppo? I would do exactly what Bashar Assad just proposed. Grant amnesty to any rebels left in the city if they agree to leave. Civilians then would be able to re enter the city, and reconstruction could commence.

Do you think that the rebels would believe that Assad would keep his word in regards to their amnesty and even if they did believe him, do you think that they would leave anyway?

Edit: Maybe this should be in another thread, eh? If ya start a Syrian thread, I'll jump right over.

Farid

When the Syrian government offered opposition fighters in Daraya and Homs a peace deal in which they would surrender their weapons and get a bus to Idlib (where opposition fighters still held territory), the Assad regime kept its' word, and provided buses for those opposition fighters, who then continued to fight the Syrian government, only in a different part of the country. The Syrian government and Assad are serious about putting an end to this conflict, it is imperative for the survival of the state.

Even if they didn't believe him, it's easy enough for the rebels to put down their weapons and leave the city as civilians through the corridors that the government has opened up during the last amnesty offering. The Syrian government has kept its word during the other general amnesty offering this summer, where they opened up the corridors to any militant who wanted to flee the city.

There have been several cases of FSA groups defecting back to the government after realizing that the Islamists had taken over the opposition. Why would they risk going back to the government if they didn't think the government would keep their word and just planned to throw them in a jail cell.

I also think they would be more motivated to accept the amnesty deal if they weren't so hopeful the US will supply them with weapons/airsupport. I guarantee they'd accept amnesty if their funding was cut and they no longer had access to resupply.

Last edited:

BD9

Yes, I know that there are many Whack-A-Doodle democrats, Alan Grayson for one, but rarely are their comments as dangerous and as out there as what republican Whack-A-Doodles proclaim.
Following in the footsteps of the lead Whack -A-Doodle syndicated radio host rush limbaugh, matt drudge (not capitalized on purpose) also makes the claim that hurricanes are a left wing conspiracy. What I find truly ridiculous is that they actually believe this non sense.

The Bizarre Political Logic That Leads Conservative Pundits to Downplay a Hurricane

One of the stranger and more troubling political developments of the past 15 years has been the conservative response to scientists' warnings of potentially catastrophic climate change. If climate change is real, to address it would probably require government intervention in industry. And conservatives are opposed to that. Therefore, climate change must not be real! The scientists are all lying.

influential conservative blogger Matt Drudge. On Thursday, as Hurricane Matthew approached the Florida coast with 130mph winds—so the scientists claim, at any rate!—Drudge spied an opportunity to plant his flag and catch out those nefarious forecasters and their politically motivated hurricane models. Here is what he decided would be a good idea to tweet:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Trump blames ‘entertainment’ for his rhetoric towards women
10/07/16 10:02 AM

By Steve Benen
At last week’s presidential debate, after Hillary Clinton slammed Donald Trump’s rhetoric towards women, the Republican presidential candidate said many of his most controversial comments were “said in entertainment.” This week, Trump used the same line in an interview with Jim Snyder at the NBC affiliate in Las Vegas.

“You have two beautiful daughters past their teenage years, can you understand the concern from parents of younger girls that some of your comments could be hurtful to girls struggling with body image and the pressure to be model perfect,” asked Snyder.

Trump blamed entertainment. “A lot of that was done for the purpose of entertainment, there’s nobody that has more respect for women than I do,” he said.
Even at face value, this is a horrible argument. Misogynistic rhetoric that degrades and belittles women is not “entertaining,” especially when coming from someone who aspires to the nation’s highest office.

But let’s say Trump is sincere. Just for the sake of conversation, let’s imagine that Trump didn’t really mean all of the things he’s said about women, and that it was all just an offensive act from a media personality who simply wanted to be “entertaining.” Donald Trump the character is a misogynist, the argument goes, but Donald Trump the person has a deep and abiding respect for women.

If that’s true, what explains Trump’s behavior in private, away from the cameras?
this devastating story this week.

In his years as a reality TV boss on “The Apprentice,” Donald Trump repeatedly demeaned women with sexist language, according to show insiders who said he rated female contestants by the size of their breasts and talked about which ones he’d like to have sex with.

The Associated Press interviewed more than 20 people – former crew members, editors and contestants – who described crass behavior by Trump behind the scenes of the long-running hit show…. Interviewed separately, they gave concurring accounts of inappropriate conduct on the set.

Eight former crew members recalled that he repeatedly made lewd comments about a camerawoman he said had a nice rear, comparing her beauty to that of his daughter, Ivanka. […]

During one season, Trump called for female contestants to wear shorter dresses that also showed more cleavage, according to contestant Gene Folkes. Several cast members said Trump had one female contestant twirl before him so he could ogle her figure.
So, “a lot of that was done for the purpose of entertainment”? Entertaining who, exactly?

The Daily Beast ran a related report this week on Trump’s former ownership of the Miss Teen USA, Miss Universe, and Miss USA pageants, and audio clips that have emerged from that period. The report explained, “Dubbed ‘The Trump Rule,’ the ex-reality host would oversee a pre-screening of the Miss USA contestants in revealing outfits and play his own personal game of Hot or Not, dividing the women into groups. He’d then demand that each beauty contestant name another contestant they felt was the most beautiful, and separate the contestants accordingly.”

A lot of adjectives come to mind. “Entertaining” isn’t one of them.

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
The Daily Beast ran a related report this week on Trump’s former ownership of the Miss Teen USA, Miss Universe, and Miss USA pageants, and audio clips that have emerged from that period. The report explained, “Dubbed ‘The Trump Rule,’ the ex-reality host would oversee a pre-screening of the Miss USA contestants in revealing outfits and play his own personal game of Hot or Not, dividing the women into groups. He’d then demand that each beauty contestant name another contestant they felt was the most beautiful, and separate the contestants accordingly.”

A lot of adjectives come to mind. “Entertaining” isn’t one of them.

I remember being told in grade school by one of my best teachers about how the Nazi's would pick out people for death, then ask them to select one more to die with them. Most of the people would pick someone they knew. I think the thing was they were unaware they were going to die and had just been selected.

It was a practice in cruelty, I just had a flashback to that lesson when reading this segment of your post.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
This is pretty good info, it's pretty huuuuge. This might be it for Trump. Is this just too much? What a dirty old man. Hillary needs to just let this play out because it will have a life of its own. Keep a low profile about it. Trump is his worst enemy. OMG Trump said "pussy" on CNN.:o How embarrassing for his wife and daughter. He's a grandpa.

Trump recorded having extremely lewd conversation about women in 2005 - The Washington Post
Washington Post › politics › 2016/10/07

Watch: Donald Trump recorded having extremely lewd conversation about women in 2005

In this video from 2005, Donald Trump prepares for an appearance on 'Days of Our Lives' with actress Arianne Zucker. He is accompanied to the set by Access Hollywood host Billy Bush. The Post has edited this video for length. (Obtained by The Washington Post)
By David A. Fahrenthold October 7 at 4:01 PM
Donald Trump bragged in vulgar terms about kissing, groping and trying to have sex with women during a 2005 conversation caught on a hot microphone — saying that “when you’re a star, they let you do it” — according to a video obtained by The Washington Post.

The video captures Trump talking with Billy Bush of “Access Hollywood” on a bus with Access Hollywood written across the side. They were arriving on the set of “Days of Our Lives” to tape a segment about Trump’s upcoming cameo on the soap opera.

The tape obtained by the Post includes audio of Bush and Trump’s conversation inside the bus, as well as audio and video once they emerge from it to begin shooting the segment.

In that audio, Trump discusses a failed attempt to seduce a woman, whose full name is not given in the video.

“I moved on her and I failed. I’ll admit it,” Trump is heard saying. It was unclear when the events he was describing took place. The tape was recorded several months after he married his third wife, Melania.

“Whoa,” another voice said.

“I did try and f--- her. She was married,” Trump says.

Trump continues: “And I moved on her very heavily. In fact, I took her out furniture shopping. She wanted to get some furniture. I said, ‘I’ll show you where they have some nice furniture.’”

“I moved on her like a bitch, but I couldn’t get there. And she was married,” Trump says. “Then all of a sudden I see her, she’s now got the big phony tits and everything. She’s totally changed her look.”

At that point in the audio, Trump and Bush appear to notice Arianne Zucker, the actress who is waiting to escort them into the soap opera set.

“Your girl’s hot as s---, in the purple,” says Bush, who’s now a co-host of NBC’s “Today” show.

“Whoa!” Trump says. “Whoa!”

“I’ve gotta use some tic tacs, just in case I start kissing her,” Trump says.“You know I’m automatically attracted to beautiful -- I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait.”

“And when you’re a star they let you do it,” Trump says. “You can do anything.”

“Whatever you want,” says another voice, apparently Bush’s.

“Grab them by the p---y,” Trump says. “You can do anything.”

A spokeswoman for NBC Universal, which produces and distributes “Access Hollywood,” declined comment.

“This was locker room banter, a private conversation that took place many years ago. Bill Clinton has said far worse to me on the golf course - not even close,” Trump said in a statement. “I apologize if anyone was offended.”

The tape appears at a time when Trump, the Republican presidential nominee, has sought to make a campaign issue out of his opponent’s marriage. Trump has criticized former President Bill Clinton for his past infidelity, and criticized opponent Hillary Clinton as her husband’s “enabler.”

“Hillary Clinton was married to the single greatest abuser of women in the history of politics,” Trump told the New York Times in a recent interview. “Hillary was an enabler, and she attacked the women who Bill Clinton mistreated afterward. I think it’s a serious problem for them, and it’s something that I’m considering talking about more in the near future.”

Last edited:
Top Bottom