Tek Spiderman's Oil Extravaganza!

High Sigh

SG addict
do you have a screen in there? i got a worked black and white one a while back with a screen and haven't had to clean it since. its still pretty clean and it gets daily use with multiple people.

High Sigh,

stroh

errl enthusiast
i do not have a screen in it yet, simply because i do not have a large enough one to fit in the little knobs, but i plan on getting one ASAP to diffuse those vapor hits!

stroh,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Where do you put a screen????

Me=clean freak
Me=Labworx skillet owner

So...where do you put da screen?in the downstem after the bell? More or less @ the GonG connection with the bong? In the curve above?

FLskwat,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
As usual, thx mate!
I also went for my research... It seems that some skillets (essencialy HMK ones) are blown specifically to have a screen in the top of the bell:
http://www.planetvape.ca/images/screen_placement.png
1/ my labworx skillet does not have these knobs for screen placement.
2/Should I do a DIY mod. and insert an NO2 gauze above my bell. For example at the green to clear junction section here?: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp351hX2g31qfbiei.png
Cause after reading Wat's linked thread it seems to have its pro's and con's...

FLskwat,

Sour Deez

I hear the screen in the HMK curves make a good difference, no experience with it myself, but i like the idea.

Sour Deez,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
well I tried it by just cutting a screen to a smaller size and just basically stuffed it into my curve in a convex fashion. The stickiness of the vapor curve kept it in place, at first anyway- it fell off at the end of the hit- a combination of the oil on the glass walls getting warmer and more fluid, and the mesh of the screen getting clogged with condensed oil and causing uneven resistance. I'll try with a coarser gauze later.

It certainly seemed to make a difference to the vapor flow- instead of organised streams of vapor flowing into my chamber it was an even cloudy stream. But I can't honestly say that I noticed any difference once the vapor had been bubbled through the water and into my lungs and exhaled. No less airy.

I want to try again without for comparison, but I still have work to do so it must wait.

WatTyler,

weedemon

enthusiast
i don't understand the need for a screen in it either. can anyone provide a pic to explain to me where it's doing exactly?

seems to me it would just increase the amount of resin build up by introducing more surface area for oil to re-condense on along the way to my lungs.

I have never tried it, so this is just the brainstorming of a stoner over here :brow:

*edit

thanks for the explanation WatTyler! so it's also going to further diffuse the stream of vapor by going though the screen. I was thinking a glass star style screen not metal.

weedemon,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Hi weedemon,

I did put a pic of HMK's screen placement above:
http://www.planetvape.ca/images/screen_placement.png

And Wat's link to TC board explains that this screen's purpose is double:
1/ more diffusion of the vapor, less airy hits (WTF? that is only a restriction effect from a clogged screen right?)
2/ less wet reclaim/more dry reclaim (that I can understand!)
https://tokecity.com/forums/archive/ind 40265.html

But not everyone there seems convinced by these theories and I can also hear/picture the ones saying "more contact surface= more vapor loss" or the screen reclaim is leaking when the skillet is hot" etc...
As Wat I think the best is to experiment! Will come back and report!

FLskwat,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
FLskwat said:
2/ less wet reclaim/more dry reclaim (that I can understand!)
I can understand more dry reclaim, but can't really understand how it can reduce wet reclaim? some vapor will still condense in the water. Marginally less, as the vapor is marginally weaker due to slightly increased condensation on the curve, but not any meaningful amount. And the chamber will still cause further condensation according to the diffusion, surface area and temp, no? I feel like I'm missing some key principle....?

WatTyler,

Darb

FLskwat said:
OMG... So I got very little of an incredible paki hash that smells like bud and is very clear and malleable!
And I decided that my previous yield with morroco wasn't good enough though the effects & flavor in the Omicron were a treat!
As with the vapes I decided to understand the full potential of my extractor doing experiments...Well, I don't know if it's the newb' luck but :

I decided to use 2,0 gr of grinded hash (in my electrical Braun coffe grinder...so POWDER consistency).
Used half a can of Sarom (very good butane BTW)... AND I GOT 1,1gr of BEAUTIFUL BHO:

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/9219/photo5dv.jpg

I think it's fucking stable when cold and put the gram in the fridge for a few minutes to ease a little the loading of the Omicron!

What do the experts say? :D Nice?

What extractor did you use for such a small run?

Darb,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Darb said:
What extractor did you use for such a small run?

Sorry I missed that! It's unbelievable I know but at that time I only had my honey bee extractor so I did that specific run with it!
I'm pretty sure if I had my turkey baster MOD at that time it would have been even better! ;)

FLskwat,

High Sigh

SG addict
The only difference i notice with/without a screen is reclaim buildup in the pipe. i dont notice the difference in hit but it makes a HUGE difference in reclaim

High Sigh,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Thought I'd share one of my recent results.

I went back to my home turf over christmas and the new year and picked up some leaf and trim for free off of a buddy. Got back to the wildlands to find that my new large extraction tube had arrived from 'merica. Stuffed in all the leaf and trim (about 70 grams I think) into the extractor and it was juust the right amount, with a good packing compression. Here you can see it alongside my normal extractor tube that I use for whole buds (15g capacity), and this big one will normally be used for a second wash of the bud ground up. But there's nothing better than free trim to christen it with!
dscf0451z.jpg

Well, I underestimated how much butane it would take to do a run of this size! The first can had expelled and was just stuck in there holding the pressure before any butane had even made its way down to the filter- I was beginning to think that I'd somehow fucked up and packed it too tight and the butane wouldn't get through. Not really a sensible possibility, I think.

Anyway it started coming out t'other end, yellow as morning piss. It still looked to be coming through with some colour as I got through two and a half cans of butane, before I had to give up due to a tired arm (I think I was over exerting to keep the seal, ha!) and hoped it was done. The last wee bit I dripped over a different dish and unfortunately it looks like there is still some oil to be washed out, but a second wash of such a quantity of low quality trim is going to use another can at least just to get through the tube, and so be high in whatever contaminants are associated with butane extraction relative to the quantity of oil yielded. Not sure if it's worth it. Maybe a rainy day stash.

Anyway, I got 4.5 grams. It looks a bit too damned dark in the first pic- it doesn't really do it justice, and I don't understand the relevant camera settings, so I just took a backlit one to try and show it in a more favourable light.
dscf0460e.jpg

It is a dark oil, being made from fairly low quality trim, but it's actually surprisingly tasty and as always, surprises me considering the source material. I'm thinking of filling up an Omicron cartridge with this stuff- it seems a good consistency, doesn't harden to shatter at room temperature, and seems fairly stable as its melted with a lighter flame (by which I mean it doesn't bubble too much-should sit nicely in the cart). Only thing that concerns me is that it's slightly darker and so the extra waxes et al might clog the cart sooner. But there doesn't seem to be any significant amount of residue left on the skillet.
dscf0453b.jpg
dscf0464y.jpg

So has anyone solved how to stop the filter retaining too much oil? As you can see below I still get a good few drops captured in the filter paper above the elastic band, and the whole filter paper is nice and sticky. I actually just tear it up and stick it into my SSV and get a lot of big hits from it, with no apparent vapors or issues stemming from the filter paper, but nevertheless I'd rather not loose some of my total yield to the filter. I trim the filter to be the minimum required size to reduce that retained, and I have tried wetting the filter above the elastic band with a tiny bit of water- which was a moment of stupidity and foggy thinking- by the time I was outside doing the run the water had migrated throughout the filter paper, and so froze and clogged when the butane hit it. Not a major issue, but had me concerned for a blowout and raised the stress levels. This time I had tried pre wetting the coffee filter with butane, but still not really preventative- I think as the butane evaporates it draws up fresh, oil laden solvent.
dscf0459l.jpg

WatTyler,

weedemon

enthusiast
you can also wash your used filter in iso. this is what I do. I have a 2 bottles of iso on hand. one for cleaning bho related stuff, and one for vape cleaning. I then e-vap (after filtering again of course) them once i'm ready to claim the goodies

I liked all the pics you provided us! that one with the chunk on the razor looks great :p I imagine it will make fine Omi material!

weedemon,

Bouldorado

Abysmal Vapor said:
Well may be most of you are doing this or knowing it but for those who don't Absolute Amber from Banana Silver Ladyboys
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=104&pictureid=345539
I did ethanol extraction on low grade bubble hash and i got similar results but more in the yellow spectrum, sadly cant take a photo ...

thanks for the awesome link. here's my results from using the same method.

I used 1 oz of dispensary trim, placed in a two-cup measuring cup, submerged in butane (~400ml), and covered w/ AL foil. After 10 minutes, I filtered out plant material, and purged the butane. This concrete stage yielded 2.3g (not pictured). I then scraped the bho and dissolved it into ethanol.

This was then filtered into the original collection pan (which still had residual bho that was unscraped). Using the dirty pan was a mistake, along w/ some water contamination during the purge stage, which left the oil a little splotchy. Yield = 1.8g.
Trim%252520BHO2.jpg

So I did a second run in ethanol today, and got this. Yield = 1.15g (~.2g lost to smoking) . :D

Trim%252520BHO2%252520%252528rerun%252529.jpg

Bouldorado,

StickyShisha2

i just used the new mini extractor i made out of a "pollen press".

i drilled 1 hole in 1 end cap and 3 in the other. used exactly 3.50 grams and pressed it tight.

yielded a bit more than .75g

edit: the threadings on my space case press don't seal as well as i thought it would. under pressure there was seepage around the bottom cap.

would teflon tape in the threads be safe or would i be better served by some kind of O ring gasket?

StickyShisha2,

weedemon

enthusiast
teflon is known for being a good material to work with due to it's ability to react with so little. But I am not sure man, wait for more input imo :)

can you get a teflon o ring? I like the sound of that better. the tape is making me think particulate is going to end up in your batch somehow.

weedemon,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I use A dbv wand with broken Gong. There is a perfect narrow whole that fits the gas tank duse perfect.. It can take 2-2.5 g i usually get 0.1-0.3 depending on the quality and amount used.

Abysmal Vapor,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
So about the "with or without screen in the curve" debate, I have done my homework experiments... and as a clean freak, and for several reasons (read below), I have chosen to go WITH IT:
photocopien.jpg

photoqtt.jpg

So as I do not have the screen knobs as in HMK's bells... I did a little MOD screen of my own...and placed it where I could...

Less wet reclaim, more in the "dry"glass of the curve! GOOD!
More flavor...(probably more diffusion)! GOOD!
After a certain number of dabs (I would say 10+) this thing could clog...you better check it up before dripping the concentrates on the skillet or you will loose it! NO GOOD!

Cheers!

FLskwat,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
u got bigger pics? Or links to? I can't see where you've got your screen in!

Does it stay there? I noticed mine often drops out as the heat from the skillet softens the reclaim coating the glass of the curve- which is what I'm relying on to hold it in place. It wasn't so much a problem for single hits, but when I did a few in a row with a group and the residual heat built up it would sometimes fall down. Some sort of stainless circlip is what I think I would need.

WatTyler,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Better like that bro'? ;)
No way it'll move; it is snuggly auto-blocked, and this little screen is getting no heat at all!
;)

FLskwat,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
much better! haha, not where I was expecting it at all! I was jamming mine into the tube just above the bell- so gravity was against it. I might experiment some more.

WatTyler,

StickyShisha2

esvrk9.jpg

i found that with a screen in the bell (1), most of the buildup would stay in the curve (2)

and when i had a screen where you do, there was a lot of buildup in the next stem.
it also would clog

StickyShisha2,
Top Bottom