1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Silver Surfer Vaporizer

Discussion in 'Plug-in Vaporizers' started by vtac, Oct 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Ronp

Ronp Well-Known Member

I don't know if they ship to UK, but I love my transformer tubes. I drop everything (my fingers are numb due to chemo and MS); so, no glass leaves my carpeted room. I put an eigth of a teaspoon of baking soda in the water pipe, and I change the water when I remember, which isn't often. There is no nasty smell. I notice when I use the SSV without water, I get herb dust in my mouth from broken down herb as I stur. I doubled the screen, but fine dust still gets through; water filtration solves that problem. Like CalyxSmokr suggested "www.everyonedoesit.co.uk" has everything you need.

CalyxSmokr and Raskin666 like this.
  2. Ronp

Ronp Well-Known Member

How come every time I stur a bowl from the SSV I lose herb? It's not like I do it fast: I first poke at the bowl to lossen it up, and then I slowly stur it, and it flys all over the place. I never had to stur my other vapes. I shake, turn, brushed but I have never stured. Am I doing it wrong?

3. stickstones

stickstones Vapor concierge Retailer

You might be packing a pretty righteous bowl! It works better for stirring when not so full.

What I like to do, when the bowl is not hot, is cover the bowl with my thumb while sliding the stir tool inside. Then I twist the stir tool around and my thumb keeps all the bits from flying out.

shredder, grokit and DDave like this.
  4. Ronp

Ronp Well-Known Member

I like fluffy bowls; that may be the issue. Your correct, I fill the bowl 3/4 full with real fluffy herb.

5. stoneloc

stoneloc Well-Known Member

Have you tried smaller bowls? The SSV is designed to work at ~1/3 of the chamber.

You'll probably get better vapor that way. More is not better here. It's kind of like with cars--gotta have the right air/fuel mixture for the design of the vape.

If you tried smaller and just don't like it, more power to you, but if you skipped straight ahead to overstuffed bowls you might try a blind test with a friend.

Justpassedu, hoptimum and Vitolo like this.
  6. Raskin666

Raskin666 Doom Walrus

Pretty sure 7th Floor has a fatty wand/HC as well if you really want large amounts with less hassle.

7thFloorVapes, DDave and grokit like this.
  7. stickstones

True...it was even on sale at vapeusa for a bit, if not still

8. Raskin666

Raskin666 Doom Walrus

Ugh I wish they would restock their stuff. Good prices

9. CalyxSmokr

CalyxSmokr Well-Known Member

that is crazy. the stock bowls hold a ton. can we get a quick number crunch on what wand you are using and a weight :o

10. hoptimum

hoptimum Well-Known Member

3/4 bowl is too much. try 1/3

Stu likes this.
  11. Aimless Ryan

Aimless Ryan Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion

I just realized I'm on the 7th floor. Thought I was on 3 for about the last week.

[​IMG]

jeffp, Justpassedu, boon and 5 others like this.
  12. zor

zor I hate the kids

Just a shout out to the DDave mod family for the SSV, the original mod and the mini version allow me to basically do a one hitter pull. No need for stirring, no problems with dust (I also use water filtration).

It sometimes takes me a pull or two to set the dial correctly, depends on the cannabis variety and moisture. I can consistently get a satisfactory extraction with perhaps just a little less fully vaped herb along the circumference.

13. Raskin666

Raskin666 Doom Walrus

So my Surfer started unexpectedly behaving strangely. Now only the bottom half of the herb is being heated properly.
    I had the element pulled up a bit almost to the top of the heater cover. Very frustrating and not sure what is going wrong. I just tried pushing the heater element back down a bit, so the air intake lines up with the glowing part of the element.
    Will report back to see if this fixes it

CalyxSmokr and grokit like this.
  14. spook2517

spook2517 New Member

Decided to pickup an SSV after stalking this forum a bit; recently made the switch to vaporizing 98% of the time. I'd say the switch has been pretty significant and I've noticed a lot of old black grossness leaving my lungs recently.

I grabbed a cosmetic seconds SSV due to the price being right. I appreciate that 7th Floor offers these units, along with the high end flashier versions (we can all have something nice). The unit that was selected for my cosmetic second was red & silver with a GG spherical setup. Got to say, I like the setup that came through. As described, there are some scuffs, chips & scratches, but nothing that hinders the performance. I've attached a few pitchers of the setup for review and to give future purchasers an example of the cosmetic seconds.

Tried the unit once so far and it works great. The tips offered on this thread gave me a great idea or where to start. The unit has provided great vapor from the first hit. Only upgrade I'm adding on currently is @DDave's mod kit for smaller sessions.

Thanks for all the previous input on the SSV, I found it very helpful and informative.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jeffp, Diggy Smalls, shredder and 7 others like this.
  15. hoptimum

Does the dDave mod work for the spherical setup?

DDave likes this.
  16. spook2517

spook2517 New Member

That's a great point. Will also need the additional heater cover. Glad 7th Floor gave a 30% off code for reg. Using less material and not passing out is what I'm shooting for. Thanks for the heads up @hoptimum.

CalyxSmokr and Raskin666 like this.
  17. stickstones

Use my link as well and see if the discounts stack to 40% like they did during the 4/20 sale.

18. DDave

DDave Vape Wizard Accessory Maker

At present, only have 18mm GG mod (and 18to14 mini).. no spherical.

Maybe when time permits, and I get my hands on a Wand... :hmm:

:rockon:

shredder and grokit like this.
  19. Raskin666

Raskin666 Doom Walrus

I lost my email with the sale codes. Does anyone remember them? I would like to see how they stack as well.

20. hoptimum

just for future reference, but the VXL Cloud ELBs fit pretty well inside the Spherical wand

21. Raskin666

Raskin666 Doom Walrus

When I lowered the heating element so that the bottom of the glowing section was lined with the air intake.
    Works like a champ again.
    So apparently your heater element can be too low, OR too high!

zor and CalyxSmokr like this.
  22. Ronp

Ronp Well-Known Member

I was able to smoke/vape resin out of my solo wand before I cleaned it; would I be able to do the same thing with the SSV wand?

23. hoptimum

even better, since the wand is bigger

DrNick420, Ronp and grokit like this.
  24. shredder

shredder Well-Known Member

Yes, I do vape wand hash with a ground glass heater cover wand combo.

I use organic cotton to hold concentrates, and crank it up a bit.

There is also a dedicated concentrate heater cover, although I have no experience with it.

CalyxSmokr likes this.
  25. DrNick420

DrNick420 Well-Known Member

I can't tell many times during dankruptcy I scraped those wands (solo and SSV) and vaped nothing but that.

HOOOO BOY did i get toasty.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors