max

Out to lunch
SmogTown said:
Thanks for the :2c:. I figured it would be an easy conversion. I just didn't want to order the hands free and be stuck with it if i don't like hands free. Well my next vaporizer is going to be a ssv :D. It'll be the ssv for home, vg for when I'm out :ko:.
The hands free SSV is usually $20 more. That's the difference on 7th Floor's site anyway, so the standard Surfer should be cheaper. I'd go standard and then buy the GG cover and wand if you decide you want hands free. Personally, I prefer the standard. If I wanted hands free I probably would have just gotten the DBV.

max,

BongTumor

Thought id post this here for you guy's opinion also...

Called the guy up (craigslist), he is selling me either a ssv for 180 dollars OR a black on black da buddha for 100 dollars. NEW :brow:
VERY tough decision, what would you guys go for? Get all fancy with the Silver Surfer, or get the buddha and spend the rest on bud?

The thing i like about the surfer is the angle makes it look cooler, but i dont mind the look of the black buddha at all. GAHHH

oh and if i do go with the surfer, what should i go for?

The better colors he has are

Blk/Blk
Blk/Red
Green/Silver

BongTumor,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
ok, new to this forum. sorta new to vaping...got a vapor bros in july, and just yesterday got an SSV.

my first reaction is mostly positive, but i'm having some trouble finding the right temp range/sweetspot. here's what i notice...

first, the first half of any bowl seems similar to the VB...big hits, works great. it's the second half that i'm having issues with...with the VB, it seemed to progressively extract more hits right up to the combustion point, turning the material a very dark brown (but not yet black.)

all this with the temp setting on the VB at about 10 o clock.

so far, with the SSV, i'm having trouble getting the material to extract more past a certain point. i can get it to a darkish brown, but not the really dark brown, not-all-that=far-away-from-combustion point. i just stop getting meaningful hits past a certain point.

this with the SSV temp knob set what i think is high, around 2:30.

My takeaway seems to be that the SSV isn't putting out as high a temp as the VB at the same points on the knob, but it's odd that i'd have to go up 2/3s of the way on the knob. the thing *feels* like it's putting out plenty of heat (The iron casing gets plenty warm).

my conclusions range from "this is part of my learning curve" (took me two months to really get the hang of the VB) to "the heater cover on the SSV puts the hottest part of the heating element a good bit farther from the wand screen than on the VB, so the VB hits the material with hotter air sooner than the SSV".

and maybe the VB was extracting *too* much from my material and the SSV is doing it exactly right. I'm just not sure. i know every little thing from how you hit to density and amount of material can affect this process. it's just that, all else being equal, i'm currently unable to duplicate the progression of extraction on the SSV that i could with the VB.

Anyway, thought someone in here would have some wisdom, and in the meantime, i ain't hating experimenting.

mitchgo61,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
welcome to the forum, mitch...hope you like it and vaping.

I just got an ssv after about two years of vaping. I've noticed that I still get as much use of the herb as with the other vapes, but it doesn't get as brown, as you have noticed. My E, II, PD and VG all get the herb to a darker brown than my ssv. This makes no sense to me regarding temp, because the ssv is variable. However, I like it more because the used herb is better for cooking, etc.

stickstones,
Reactions: mitchgo61

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
thanks for the fast reply!

interesting...i wonder what would cause that. i'm sort of thinking it eventually extracts the same as the VB but does it more incrementally, but again that would be a function of temperature. I do think the VB runs hotter at the wand than the SSV, and i'm still way down on the learning curve wrt the temp range that best suits me.

and yes, love vaping after *decades* of more traditional approaches. just love it. really don't care for combustion at all anymore...it's like a switch flipped once i started vaping.

but it does require a lot of patience and attention. i think of it like a delicate little dance between all the variables.

mitchgo61,

albe

wow my ssv arrived today great timing for the holidays...have struck a problem though...

When i turned it on (full power as the manual says) it burned orange for a minute or so, then starts making popping noises. I figure this is the oil burning but after a few seconds it stops glowing and doesn't heat up again. There also looks to be a hole down the side of the glass element inside the ssv (though this may have been there all along).

Should i assume its a dud unit? Probably an obvious question as it doesn't look to be heating up now when turning it on again. Though the power light on the outside comes on ok. I'm just worried to leave it on now.

Anyone heard of this happening with a unit? I know they get faulty ones occasionally, no big drama though would have loved to have had it for my holiday break coming up :(

Have emailed 7th floor, just not sure if those guys have taken a break for the holidays now.

albe,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I just got mine last month and didn't have a problem like this. I would seek warranty help.

stickstones,

albe

cool thanks, pretty sure its a dud one it was quite loud the sound it made! Maybe they can send a new element thing unless its the whole unit that needs returning. I'm in australia to its probably a couple of weeks turn around on a new one.

beautiful little vape though... the buzz of getting it is only slightly ruined by it not working :cool: packaging is great and if i do have to send the whole thing back, i have some nice glassware to admire. And practice with the book!

albe,

Beezleb

It should never pop in a burn off, at worst, little smell and/or visible small amount of temporary smoke but no sparks or pops.

Please keep us advised of your customer service experience as I agree in the opinion it is a warranty issue. I am so sorry for your predicament. My next vape is in hopes of an expedited fix.

Beezleb,

albe

quick update: i reckon they've sent me the wrong version. I ordered the 220v Euro/UK to be compatible for where i am. The other vapes i've used in 220 were all ok.

Would explain the fireworks when it started ! Although i'm still a bit confused as the red LED light comes on and the unit did work for a minute or two initially. Anyway waiting to hear back but cutting them some slack as it is the holiday season and all :)

albe,

albe

wicked those guys got back to me straight away :D Am sending it back to 7th floor in the mail today so hopefully it'll be sorted soon.

albe,

XtaCy

I have had this going on for awhile now, but my SSV seems to work fine so I never remembered to bring anything up here. Anyways, when I pick up my vape to put it away, maybe turn it upside down, I can hear something rattling around. It's been like this for awhile, and I don't want to take it apart and lose my warranty. I know the heating element is completely separate from the intestines. Doesn't seem to be too big of an issue, I just don't want it to turn into one later.

Any input on this guys?

XtaCy,

ekulaj

Looks like I'm becoming a member of the SSV family. I was going to settle for a Da Buddha, but I found a SSV on eBay for $155 shipped, minus the mouthpiece, tube, and screen. Just about $20 more for those, and I'm set. :D

ekulaj,

Beezleb

Congratulations on the nice find, let us know how you like later on if you would be so kind.

Beezleb,

ekulaj

Will do. I think I know what to expect. I originally owned a VG, but I didn't like how wind affected its performance so much. After about half a year of owning it, I did a little research, and ended up with an iolite, seemingly the perfect solution. It's just as portable, and in the Sidekick case I keep it in, it's so stealthy that I've hit it in movie theaters and in front of police officers before. However, I've gotten sick of taking mini hits over the span of a half hour, and the constant cooking of the weed is a little smelly for my liking. After half of a year of using the iolite, I'm ready to move on. I'm looking forward to thicker hits from the SSV, reducing the amount of time it takes to finish a bowl. Plus, I'm happily living away from my parents now, so I'm really looking forward to a home unit that doesn't need to be inconspicuous. Hopefully I can stay satisfied with this for at least a full year :p

ekulaj,

g0tpersian

Hey, I'm new to the forum and had a few questions regarding my ssv.

1. I cough a lot when I use my ssv. I move the dial around because I want to make sure I get the "bang for my buck" out of my bud. I imagine the hotter I go, the harder it is on my lungs. Is it normal to cough a lot?

2. I got an attachment for my bong, but I feel like I don't get as medicated as I do directly from the vaporizer. Additionally, I don't think it tastes as good. Do you guys experience the same thing?

3. Is it really necessary to move the dial around, or is there a spot on the dial that will extract most, if not all the "ingredients" in my bud?

I'm sorry if any of this is a repost.

Thanks.

g0tpersian,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
THC vapor form can make you cough. It can be caused by taking a hit that is too big.

The problem with vapor is a lot of people find they can hold it in longer than smoke, but can't take a hit as big as you might with smoke.

The other problem is it is easy to take a hit that is too big. It is hard to feel the vapor (especially if you are used to smoke) and when you do feel it at the back of your throat, it means you should really stop taking the hit and hold it. However, this sensation at the back of the throat makes you feel like you are just beginning to get your hit, and can make you draw more vapor. This can result in a coughing fit.

The other reason it can make you cough i have found is when i have been ill with flu/cough. Even though the cough now does not really effect me much and has almost gone, i know if i take a straight hit off the pd i will end up in a coughing fit. Its the warm dry air that sets it off.

Using a bong (even though ive just found out i was using it a little incorectly heh) does really help cool and moisten the air imo. However I can't comment on using a SSV with a bong, but i didnt find the hit any less from a pd using a bong. I would even say i take a bigger milkier hit that really hits the spot.

It could also be said though (like you already have said), the higher the temp goes, the harsher the vapor, which can also add to a coughing fit. It is totoally your preference if you prefer the dial at a continuous sweet spot (for you) or want to dial in higher temps as you go along. If you keep it at a sweet spot, you save a little something in the AVB, which you can either make some eddibles or do a little iso/alcohol wash with.

Happycamper,

B.

War Criminal
1. If you get too hot you are actually getting less bang for your buck because you can destroy the good stuff. I've had my SSV for a couple of years now, and the whip still makes me cough. I use it almost exclusively with a bong, and I can take huge rips. Feels sooooo smooth. Night and day.

2. For me, any vape combined with a bong is better, but I do agree that it sacrifices some flavor, not it a bad way, in an it tastes like regular air way. I can take giant hits and hold them forever tho. Mastering tokins method of holding it, releasing a little, inhaling, repeat makes a difference too. Check this out :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuUiZabtrQc

Even tokin coughs ;)

3. It's all about the results. I like my ABV to be a light to medium brown, so I set the dial at whatever spot gets that done for me. I start low, and crank it up a little at a time till the bowls done. I've found there is no sweet spot, and even if you do find one it will change over time. I don't know about you, but the heating element can move a little bit up or down, and that will change your temps. I broke my original heater cover, and the new one's intake hole(the lower hole under the hot part of the heating element) was lower than on my original heater cover, changing where I'd set my dial. Once you get this heating method down, it becomes second nature and you don't even really think about it. Start low, crank it up as you go.

Hey, that rhymed.

As far as extracting the most, be comfortable leaving a little bit of goodies in the bud. Save the weed you've already vaped, also called ABV(already been vaped) or duff or AVB(already vaped bud), and cook with it or make green dragon or hash or whatever. I love to make brownies using ABV and coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. I actually prefer ABV edibles, they tend to be mellower than regular edibles, which I like.

Leaving some goodness in your ABV also ensures you aren't getting into the high temp ranges that can destroy THC and lead to combustion.

Let us know how it goes.

Afterthought-Happycamper, I just read your post, looks like we have some common themes. Great minds thinkin alike.

B.,

albe

well some good news for me... my replacement SSV arrived back today from 7th floor. Pretty good turnaround i reckon, i sent from australia on 23 dec, they sent back by jan 6 and arrived today (jan 14 here).

all working great so far ... might take a bit to get the hang of it all, only other vapes i have are an iolite and a 'cano. Back to experimenting... :brow:

albe,

Frickr

just placed an order for one of these things tonight :brow: im excited! $220 for it with the FC discount at dieselvapors.com. Thank you guys for the nice long read through this thread, i hope its worth it when it comes. but i have a feeling i wont be letdown.

i think i will be more happy with the ssv over a vaporbrothers.

Frickr,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
frickr, I love mine. It doesn't get anywhere near the use my PD does, but when I want a punch in the face, I reach for the ssv!

stickstones,

Frickr

thats what i was looking for, it was a hard decision to choose a vape to work along side the pd. the pd has really set my standards high. but i liked reading everyones opinions, and thoughts on this vape, this forum is terrable for making people spend money! :lol: i mean you cant just settle on one vape right??

i was watching a few of tokins videos on youtube, has anyone else experimented with just leaving their buds intact and just shove them into the wand and pull a few hits off of it before sturring up the bowl?

Frickr,

albe

hadn't realised how 'punch in the face' the hits from the SSV are. Been hitting it the last few days for the first time, haven't got much done needless to say :brow: I'll be still going back to the bag vape for a lighter hit from time to time. Might try taking the temp down a little when i don't want to be TOO out of it.

The slow draw at about 12-1 on my dial is getting me close to where i was with a bong back in the day. (Had been smoking joints totally for a few years before switching to vaping last year.) I've tried to turn some bong smokers on to vapes before with mixed success, but i think the SSV may be the one to do it.

albe,
Top Bottom