Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
You've convinced me to push it and try to see if my retailer will give me even partial credit/exchange for the ($60AU cheaper) LSV. I only purchased the SSV from them a little less than a month ago and have bought plenty of other accessories and an MFLB from them since. Everything other than the poker-tool and the original hose is in mint condition so I'll see if they can do a loyal customer a solid. Fingers Crossed.

Cheers for your advice too. The benefits of using it with a bubbler make it worth at least asking. :D
Is your retailer AusVapes?
Just a heads up that they don't stock the WPA for the LSV, just the transfer wand.

BranFlakes188

Thought about it some more and decided it's not worth the stress of an exchange. I'm probably going to get a new bub at some point anyway, so I'll just avoid the showerhead design. Furthermore, I really enjoy the SSV as a whip unit without the bub. I'd certainly prefer that aspect over a LSV transfer wand.

So I'm back to where I started but I now understand why you got the LSV to compliment the SSV. Who knows, if I can find one at the right price I'll certainly be adding it to my collection too :)

Edit: anyone know where to get a simple 6-12 arm bub for cheap?

Last edited:
BranFlakes188,

cloudblower

For my first post on FC, I wanted to thank everyone here in the silver surfer thread. I read the entire thing before I purchased my "Green Machine" aka the real cloudblower.

I do have a quick question, has anyone contacted 7th Floor about making a custom standard glass wand that has a more shallow bowl? I've seen the ingenious way of making the bowl more shallow with another screen and using the mini VB wand, but would love to use a custom thicker glass wand that is just a touch more shallow.

Thanks and keep u the good work.

cloudblower,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Vitolo

Vaporist
You can call and request a special wand.
I usually order ones LONGER than the norm... but there are cases (a couple of patients) that I order shorter bowls for.
Here is an extra long one.. next to a standard.
Photoon2011-05-16at1606.jpg

Here is an extra short one, next to a standard
Photoon2012-09-23at15073_zps3437b41f.jpg

cloudblower

You can call and request a special wand.
I usually order ones LONGER than the norm....
Here is an extra short one, next to a standard
Photoon2012-09-23at15073_zps3437b41f.jpg

I can understand why you need the longer one Vitolo and thanks for the tip on ordering a custom short one. I live a few hours from 7th Floor, so I can always head down to Colorado Springs. I'll call them and see if they have any short one available now or if I have to customize one.

UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with Chris (at 7th Floor) and we had a short conversation about a shorter bowl. I explained how I am solo vaping and I have trouble finishing an entire bowl in the standard size and when I pack a smaller amount I don't get as large of clouds. He said that the shorter bowl will NOT make a difference as far as amount of vapor one is getting from a smaller amount. He said they would be happy blowing a shorter one for me if that is what I truly want though.

Do you guys agree with him or should I order a custom short one from them anyway?

Last edited:
cloudblower,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

grokit

well-worn member
I would think that the size of the bowl would make a far greater difference than the overall length of the wand.

grokit,

cloudblower

I would think that the size of the bowl would make a far greater difference than the overall length of the wand.

I know, right. That is why we talked about a shorter bowl and he swears that even the bowl length doesn't matter. It doesn't make sense to me from a smoking background, but vaping might be different.

cloudblower,

Rave

I doubt the shorter bowl will make a huge difference like you were told over the phone. You might try turning the heat up a bit. I've never had an issue with using small amounts in my standard wand. Maybe just play with it a bit more til you find your sweet spot.

cloudblower

You might try turning the heat up a bit. I've never had an issue with using small amounts in my standard wand. Maybe just play with it a bit more til you find your sweet spot.

Good advice. I have been so afraid of combustion, that I've hesitated to go much hotter than where my "high noon" is comfortably set. Might be time to go to one or two o'clock.

cloudblower,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Do you guys agree with him or should I order a custom short one from them anyway?
YES
I suggest the shorter wands when one wants to get a faster hit....
it brings the screen up closer to the heat source.
Do a simple experiment.
The undeniable proof is in the results.
Pack an equal amount in a short and in a long bowl.
The short one WILL without fail start producing vapor faster.
I do not care for short ones regardless.... but there are many community members here that do....
and that is not only their feedback, but the results of me
using almost every wand that passes through here for a few "hits".
(I provide a minimum of a dozen wands to local patients patients each month)

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
He said that the shorter bowl will NOT make a difference as far as amount of vapor one is getting from a smaller amount.

I kind of agree.

On one hand, I think the issue with using a small amount is that there isn't enough to cover then entire surface of the screen, allowing for hot air to find its way through w/o hitting your material. Kind of like using the EQ Cyclone with not enough material, it just bounces around instead of being penetrated with heat.

On the other hand, heat, just like light has to abide by the laws of physic. The inverse-square law states that "a specified physical quantity or intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of that physical quantity." Meaning that as you get farther from the heat source, the less intense the heat will be. So by moving the material closer to the heater will result in more concentrated heat.
479px-Inverse_square_law.svg.png

BranFlakes188

I kind of agree.

On one hand, I think the issue with using a small amount is that there isn't enough to cover then entire surface of the screen, allowing for hot air to find its way through w/o hitting your material. Kind of like using the EQ Cyclone with not enough material, it just bounces around instead of being penetrated with heat.

On the other hand, heat, just like light has to abide by the laws of physic. The inverse-square law states that "a specified physical quantity or intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of that physical quantity." Meaning that as you get farther from the heat source, the less intense the heat will be. So by moving the material closer to the heater will result in more concentrated heat.
479px-Inverse_square_law.svg.png
So can this gap in heat intensity/concentration (from close to far) be bridged by drawing slowly? ie. Air that isn't quite as hot having more contact with the herbs over a longer period of time? I know that when I turn up the heat or when I'm using the EQ dome mod very close to the end of the wand, I find I need to stir more often as the top of the load gets heavily vaped while the rest remains green.

cloudblower

I think Vitolo told us how to beat the old inverse-square law (thanks for the lesson Tweak, that took some mathematical thinking to understand). Turn Up the Heat!!

Oscar_Milde

Forum Crawler
I can pull thick clouds off tiny amounts with standard setup so can't see why dome mod would be necessary, temp needs to be at about 1 and draw relatively slowly, speeding up slightly as vapour starts to become dense to avoid browning the top too much. I need to post a video or two I think..

Oscar_Milde,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
I can pull thick clouds off tiny amounts with standard setup so can't see why dome mod would be necessary

A few reasons.

-Instant vapor. The more you draw to prime your wand/whip/bubbler, the less vapor you get per hit.
-Lower heat - I never combust because my heat setting never change as the distance from the heat source to the material stays the same
-Half the bore compared to the mariah, where the screen sits. So you need less material.
-The mariah on my wands seams untouchable from the heat. Every bowl I dumped had green in it from the materiel that was stuck to the sides of the wand
-No need to change draw speed at any time during a session, you can move the screen closer to the heater as the material gets spent
-I use water - Slower draws would create less diffusion in my bubbler
-2 Screens results in 95% less debris - Pure reclaim w/o any dust
-2 screen result in a massive amount of reclaim getting stuck to the second screen. This reclaim sticks to the exact spot where my material sticks to in my 4th point, the edges of the mariah. I figure that every time I dump a wand full of AVB, that reclaim is going with it.

Edit: Sorry for all the edits. Somehow it posted before I was remotely finished.

2nd Edit, add images of the size difference.

dsc3403y.jpg

dsc3404v.jpg

I measure below the mariah as to offset the thickness of the glass.
The mariah measures 20mm wide
dsc3406j.jpg

dsc3407s.jpg

With the dome in place, it narrows it down to 10mm, just like the VB mini does.

Last edited:

C-weed

edit....just saw where i repeat peviously stated material ....anyway......that is the smallest ssv bowl i have ever seen.

C-weed,

BranFlakes188

For anyone interested: The EQ dome screen wand mod works wonderfully with a SGG wand. Been using it just now and I'n surprised to say that even with (what must be) 0.1 or less of material, I'm getting instant huge clouds with easily the most even vape I've managed to do yet (thanks to such uniform heat distribution). Thank you for your science :)

Oscar_Milde

Forum Crawler
A few reasons.

-Instant vapor. The more you draw to prime your wand/whip/bubbler, the less vapor you get per hit.
-Lower heat - I never combust because my heat setting never change as the distance from the heat source to the material stays the same
-Half the bore compared to the mariah, where the screen sits. So you need less material.
-The mariah on my wands seams untouchable from the heat. Every bowl I dumped had green in it from the materiel that was stuck to the sides of the wand
-No need to change draw speed at any time during a session, you can move the screen closer to the heater as the material gets spent
-I use water - Slower draws would create less diffusion in my bubbler
-2 Screens results in 95% less debris - Pure reclaim w/o any dust
-2 screen result in a massive amount of reclaim getting stuck to the second screen. This reclaim sticks to the exact spot where my material sticks to in my 4th point, the edges of the mariah. I figure that every time I dump a wand full of AVB, that reclaim is going with it.

Thanks for taking the time to type that out! Going to reply to the points one by one, in order.
1.) I can circular breathe, trick picked up in my smoking days so it matters less, I just breath out when primer draw is over (whilst still inhaling, of course), certainly don't seem to get smaller hits this way, I get more vapour off each bong sized load than I would smoke...
2.) I also have yet to combust anything in my SSV. What temp do you generally run yours at?
3.) I had the same problem with the mariah being difficult to reach, seems to have been eliminated now though, definitely no green in my avb.
4.) Maybe just a matter of taste, but moving the screen around seems like a lot more work than controlling one's draw speed (And draw speed can be changed mid inhale, screen can't). Each to his own I guess, having been a religious bong smoker for many years it's pretty much second nature for me, I'm going to stick with what I'm doing as it's working great. ;)
5.) Can't argue with that hahaha
6.) Probably more relevant for those who smoke their reclaim, am a severe hash snob so all my wand and screen reclaim is building up (in the jar I soak my screens in) to be used for edibles, particulate matter is easily filtered out beforehand.
7.) Or it's not recondensing as much because it's not getting pulled through a screen. I don't really stress about minimal amounts of cannabinoid rich material ending up in my AVB jars, just pushes the iso oil and edibles up to the next level!

I'm going to rope someone in to help me film my method for pulling massive hits from the SSV, be warned though, my method doesn't exactly conserve herb:lmao:

Oscar_Milde,

Oscar_Milde

Forum Crawler
Draw speed for vaporizer = Gears for car.
Reading back in this thread I notice members are using iso to clean their whips (Vitolo I think you posted a video on how to do this).
Is this safe with the unique vinyl hybrid 7th Floor are using? I can't find any definitive information on what exactly the whip is composed of (not silicone, I'm sure of that), or whether it is safe to clean with alcohol.
Anyone?

EDIT: Okay I have to share this, when I finally got around to my first vape of the day, I packed it quite small. Using my usual method I was singing the praises of above, I took the first hit: it was thin, vague and unsatisfying.
Shock and horror, went back in for the second, slightly thicker but was having to draw so slowly it wasn't satisfying, no combustion at all though which I kind of expected due to the extremely long, painfully slow draws I was taking. Third and fourth hit yielded similar results.
I started to doubt my method, filled up a different bong in the hope it might improve things, considered tearing the metal ring off one of my extreme q screens just to get a decent hit.
Spent a moment staring at my SSV trying to think of a solution..
Then it hit me, the problem was literally right in front of my face, my temperature knob was still turned right, right down from last night (As advised by this thread I avoid turning it off to preserve the clicker).
A joyous moment, sure, but DOHHH!

Last edited:
Oscar_Milde,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
What temp do you generally run yours at?

A bit more than 1/4 a turn. So around 10 O'clock.

4.) Maybe just a matter of taste, but moving the screen around seems like a lot more work than controlling one's draw speed (And draw speed can be changed mid inhale, screen can't).

With my screen in place why couldn't you change draw speed? Moving the screen towards the heat just makes you have to change your draw speed/temperture settings as little as possible. Consistency is the key, which IMO is why the VXC gets so much love, it is consistent hit after hit. Removing the guess work makes for sessions so less stressful, which I've found is why I have progressed with my vaporizers, each one I've moved onto has just made it quicker/easier to get medicated.

I'm going to rope someone in to help me film my method for pulling massive hits from the SSV, be warned though, my method doesn't exactly conserve herb:lmao:

Videos are always welcome, :tup:

Edit: So I made my own video, :D

Sorry for the dirty glass. This was my 4th take. Couldn't get the lighting down.
This hit actually choked me up a bit, which is very rare for me, something I haven't been able to achieve with my VXC. It produces thick vapor every draw, but not this dense. As you see in the video, there is only about 2 seconds of priming before my glass milks up, about a second less than my VXC, and this is with a 18" whip.

This hit was taken at high noon, as far as I go anymore. I usually start around 10 for taste, but for the video I wanted a thicker cloud. I finished the session in just 4 hits, if I had to guess I would say it was around .005 grams.

Last edited:

Oscar_Milde

Forum Crawler
I'm not saying you couldn't change draw speed with your screen mod, but am saying that I can definitely eliminate the need for adjusting screen height by controlling draw speed, which to me is preferable. That doesn't mean I think you're doing anything wrong for the record, just different strokes..
We're also running at very different temps, I use mine at around 12/30-1.30.
I had a swift learning curve and now can yield the same results every hit, I think vapes like the SSV are great for those who have a high competency level at their said method of ingestion, I feel there is no guesswork involved, it's all about user skill!
I'm going to visit a friend now, going to take the SSV along and rope someone into holding a camera:clap:

Oscar_Milde,

Fresh_Baked

Okay... I have about 30+ grams of AVB saved up and I'm not a fan of edibles.

I tried making QWISO hash oil last time, but it was a disaster. I ended up with thick, incredibly sticky black tar like shit that smelled like AVB and wasn't really usable at all. It was just this thick liquid but also a solid. Like really hard dark brown maple syrup.

Absolutely gross. One of my fatal errors was forgetting the QUICK part of it... I shook the jar with the ISO and AVB for about 15 minutes.

This time I want to do it well, and do it right. I'm also gonna throw my stems into the mix, and maybe even some fresh herb for the hell of it. Ooh, and wand hash and kief. Just kind of a THC stew. :D

How much ISO do I use in comparison to my AVB? Does anyone have a really well detailed guide on QWISO?

Top Bottom