C-weed

i had trouble going through my mobius with the surfer.....kept pushing herbs into my heater cover.The back push of air from the water displacement.

C-weed,

BranFlakes188

i had trouble going through my mobius with the surfer.....kept pushing herbs into my heater cover.The back push of air from the water displacement.
I'm using an oversized 40+cm Black Leaf bong right now with water full as it could be, and I cannot see one particle that's escaped into the heater cover (yet). Material even tends to stay in the wand better when I'm stirring and such, as it's a bit longer overall. Which Mobius are you using? I would think their diffusers would hardly have any "back push" (especially considering my gigantic bong fares just fine). I'm just curious because I've ordered a smaller Blaze bubbler for tomorrow and really hope that it doesn't cause anything to blow into the heater.

BranFlakes188,
Reactions: New_World

Vitolo

Vaporist
I have all setups here...
Photoon2011-08-20at2058.jpg

....but I only use Standard....
The other units are here for demo.
I only really like Standard.

grokit

well-worn member
I'm loving one of these, been using it for close to a decade (on/off) with the SGG setup:
ctc_4813.jpg

I had to train myself not to combust with my first SSV that has the standard setup, but I never had a problem when I was using it direct draw now that I think about it.

The challenges arose when I added one of their cheaper spiral bubblers, similar to this one with an upright sherlock stem; they have made some other improvements over the years:
wfcm_5_of_10_.jpg

So I think that maybe proficiency with the standard setup is easier with the additional sensitivity that direct draw offers, compared to going through water.

Last edited:

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
It looks like a great bubbler to match up with a vape. If you have the water just over the slits it shouldn't be an issue. I have a similar SOL piece that I fill just enough over the lace perc for perfect stacking, a little over and water will shoot up the mouthpiece.

Oscar_Milde

Forum Crawler
I'm using an oversized 40+cm Black Leaf bong right now with water full as it could be, and I cannot see one particle that's escaped into the heater cover (yet). Material even tends to stay in the wand better when I'm stirring and such, as it's a bit longer overall.
It comes down to bong mechanics I guess, if a lot of the water is pulled up the tube when inhaling, logic dictates that there will be a little bit of blowback into the HC when level returns to normal. I experienced this most severely with a 45cm stemless straight tube, which supports my theory ;)

Oscar_Milde,

BranFlakes188

My new Blaze glass with the Surfer. The thing is still a heavy hitter - produces CLOUDS. :D

iGpf2JY.jpg

It does however suffer from the water-displacement issue - if I stop inhaling before removing the whip from the bubbler - puff, there goes some of the load into the heater. Just need to be careful to obey protocol for now. :) Otherwise hits extremely well. :D

Vitolo

Vaporist
Yet another reason I use Standard... and always teach users of GonG to pull wand away from heat as you finish your hit...
That also serves to clear the tube so that vapor condensation is not so great in the tube!
In the case of "hands free" that means that would also eliminate the "back push" you deal with.
People sometimes work too hard to feel that they are using a device "hands free".
I explain to local patients that hands free does not mean you can deal cards while hitting a vape. It means hands are still allowed to be "on" your wand.... but that if one's glasses slide down their sweaty nose.. they can let go of wand for a second to slide the glasses back in place! (or scratch an itch).

BranFlakes188

Yet another reason I use Standard... and always teach users of GonG to pull wand away from heat as you finish your hit...
That also serves to clear the tube so that vapor condensation is not so great in the tube!
In the case of "hands free" that means that would also eliminate the "back push" you deal with.
People sometimes work too hard to feel that they are using a device "hands free".
I explain to local patients that hands free does not mean you can deal cards while hitting a vape. It means hands are still allowed to be "on" your wand.... but that if one's glasses slide down their sweaty nose.. they can let go of wand for a second to slide the glasses back in place! (or scratch an itch).
Thanks for the response!
While moving the wand away stops the material going into the heater cover, it doesn't totally solve the problem for me. The back-push is enough (especially with dry/dusty material) to puff a little out of the end of the wand, onto the floor/table/wherever you are. Also, I've shortened the whip since taking the picture, so if there's anything getting caught in the whip between hits it's a negligible amount.

Try tamping the herb in the stem a bit?

Ty for the reply and yeah, I've found packing the material down plus using the whip>bubbler connection as a shotty (before I stop inhaling!) to be the most successful so far. I could easily use it like this for the rest of my days, albeit with the very occasional accident. That being said, if there is an easy fix I'd go for it.

Tweak mentioned a
double bowl offset adapter, so that might be something to try if I can get my hands on one here in Australia. Would still have to be careful to pull the secondary plug before I stop inhaling, though.

EDIT: Last few hits I've used a method I heard about ages ago and always meant to try: only packing enough material to barely cover the screen, cranking the temp and drawing slowly. Apparently it's very difficult to combust, you draw huge clouds and only use tiny amounts of herb (a priority for me where such things are expensive). So far it's working perfectly and the tiny amount of material way down the wand seems very unlikely to make it all the way into the heater cover if I don't pull the plug in time (although I'm too scared to try).

Last edited:
BranFlakes188,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

technique

Moving the wand away stops the material going into the heater cover, it doesn't totally solve the problem for me

Hey mate someone on this forum discovered something called an EQ screen mod and I am sure if you inverted the screen and trapped the herb between the screens it would solve all your problems with regards to dropping weed out the wand. Im not sure if it works with any other wand except the standard so it may not be a hands free compatible option.

BranFlakes188

Hey mate someone on this forum discovered something called an EQ screen mod and I am sure if you inverted the screen and trapped the herb between the screens it would solve all your problems with regards to dropping weed out the wand. Im not sure if it works with any other wand except the standard so it may not be a hands free compatible option.
Thanks for the suggestion. Yea I've tried that mod before, I didn't really like the fuss (and cost) of modding the EQ screens so I ended up giving the last couple to my friend who has an EQ (I also found it a bit too hot packing so far up the wand). Reversed, it'd impede stirring, greatly. I think you're right in that it'd be a great safeguard, but I just don't know if it'd be worth it. It's running pretty smoothly with small amounts of herb right now. Regardless, I'll be grabbing one of those EQ screens off my mate to test it out. Cheers for the idea - good thinking. :D

BranFlakes188,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Oscar_Milde

Forum Crawler
Ty for the reply and yeah, I've found packing the material down plus using the whip>bubbler connection as a shotty (before I stop inhaling!) to be the most successful so far.
Yeah that's what I do too!:brow: Love my SSV to bits but can't wait for my LSV to arrive as it'll remove the whole whip debacle:goat:

Mrmrmrmr

]Yeah that's what I do too!:brow: Love my SSV to bits but can't wait for my LSV to arrive as it'll remove the whole whip debacle:goat:[/quote]

Your going to love the saber it's my favorite 7th floor product hands down. Do you already have glass to put it through ?

BranFlakes188

Yeah that's what I do too!:brow: Love my SSV to bits but can't wait for my LSV to arrive as it'll remove the whole whip debacle:goat:
Eh, in retrospect with the way I'm vaping now the LSV probably would've been the better decision, namely because it's cheaper. The SSV has it's strengths in that it's built like a tank and customizable like no other - aesthetically still the best desktop vaporizer IMO. That being said, the glass parts and whip come with certain downsides, the bubbler-water-blow-back issue being one. However, these minor inconveniences are hardly worth my dropping another couple hundred on yet another 7th Floor vape with nearly identical internals. If I had my heart set on upgrading in the near future my choice would likely be a Cloud EVO.

Oscar_Milde

Forum Crawler
Mr, yes I do have a few decent glass pieces, nothing exciting or noteworthy though, just generic unbranded percs and tubes, literally not one shop in my country that sells genuine name-brand smoking devices:uhoh:
BF, yeah, biggest selling point for SSV over LSV is that it can be left on permanently, ideal for primary vape option imho. I'm buying it because it's a little more portable than the SSV (And because I need to leave a decent vape home with my lady when I go out hehe), and yeah, because it's tailored to those who are into glass water pipes. The awesomeness of the SSV makes me inclined to further support 7th Floor until such a time that I require more than their vapes can provide me, if that time ever comes..:tup:

NeeChee

More meatloaf Ma!
OK i have a question..A friend of mine would like a spare heater knob in case his should break in a fall. Searching Ebay i can only find custom glass knobs $30-up. Then i thought wouldn't a DBV silver metal knob do the same job? He does not care about looks and this way they would not break if dropped...O and do you know where to order them cheap or they only from 7th floor?

NeeChee,

BranFlakes188

Mr, yes I do have a few decent glass pieces, nothing exciting or noteworthy though, just generic unbranded percs and tubes, literally not one shop in my country that sells genuine name-brand smoking devices:uhoh:
BF, yeah, biggest selling point for SSV over LSV is that it can be left on permanently, ideal for primary vape option imho. I'm buying it because it's a little more portable than the SSV (And because I need to leave a decent vape home with my lady when I go out hehe), and yeah, because it's tailored to those who are into glass water pipes. The awesomeness of the SSV makes me inclined to further support 7th Floor until such a time that I require more than their vapes can provide me, if that time ever comes..:tup:
You've convinced me to push it and try to see if my retailer will give me even partial credit/exchange for the ($60AU cheaper) LSV. I only purchased the SSV from them a little less than a month ago and have bought plenty of other accessories and an MFLB from them since. Everything other than the poker-tool and the original hose is in mint condition so I'll see if they can do a loyal customer a solid. Fingers Crossed.

Cheers for your advice too. The benefits of using it with a bubbler make it worth at least asking. :D

Top Bottom