YoGranMazPimp

I Vapes Hard
^^^I agree i was watching my friend who has twice combusted my vape and determined his draw was too slow. The perc on my bubbler was barely bubbling as where i hit it the water is really moving. Increasing the draw has prevented this.

Assuming your off is straight down or in the 6 o clock position, i also find my sweet spot near the 12 position. I sometimes perfer closer to 1230-1 with my water pieces and 11 ish when with those who could combust.

YoGranMazPimp,

max

Out to lunch
I think the 'temp crankers' are also likely to hit it too hard, especially if they're used to bongs. A too high temp setting and hard hits may work OK, but handing the whip to someone else, with that high setting, can be a disaster if they slow down the draw. There's no telling how many people have been turned off to vaping due to lack of knowledge of how the process works, or an unwillingness to learn. If someone gives a non smoker a big fat cigar, and tells 'em to inhale deeply, and that's what smoking is about, it's no surprise if they swear off smoking forever.

max,

dippin

Hi, I'm debating purchasing an SSV and had a couple of questions:

If you leave the wand in the heater element without drawing any air, will the herb burn while the unit is on?

Whats the difference between the wand types (standard, ground and spherical)? Whats the best?

Also, does anyone use the water filter attachment, does it need to attach with the Sherlock mouthpiece, or can it just use the hose tube? Anyone have any example of this?

Thanks for the help

dippin,

YoGranMazPimp

I Vapes Hard
@dippin - I leave my wand in the heater cover for long times and it doesn't harm the herb or the unit at all. It gets hott but doesn't burn or vaporize The herbs. I often get pretty faded and then just leave the wand in. I'm not sure if this contributed to the oily color my heater cover has taken on, however.

Vitolo has a good video about the types of wands and HC. I prefer spherical, as it gets a perfect seal at various angles, but everyone has their fave

Which water attachment do you refer to? Like the 18mm to hose adapter or the tree percs with Sherlock adapter?

YoGranMazPimp,

dippin

Hey pimp, thanks for the info, I'll see if I can find vitolo's video on the wands.

Regarding the water attachment, I'm referring to these water filters: http://silversurfervap.com/glass/wcfm.html

I'm not really familiar with these and how they would attach. I've tried searching for a video but couldn't find anything. Also do you see the first picture that comes up on that page (http://silversurfervap.com/glass/wcfm.html). Anyone know what that red mouthpiece is? Its not actually listed as a product.

Thanks

dippin,

YoGranMazPimp

I Vapes Hard
^^yeah I've seen those. It's basically like a handheld bubbler that goes on The end of The hose insteead of the mouth piece. I would recommend a different bubbler as there are lots of options, and this one doesn't have a ground glass joint, the hose just goes in a hole, which may not have a perfect seal. With a cheap adapter, you can use any with ground glass joint to vape from.

YoGranMazPimp,

Heos

dippin said:
Hi, I'm debating purchasing an SSV and had a couple of questions:

If you leave the wand in the heater element without drawing any air, will the herb burn while the unit is on?

Whats the difference between the wand types (standard, ground and spherical)? Whats the best?

Also, does anyone use the water filter attachment, does it need to attach with the Sherlock mouthpiece, or can it just use the hose tube? Anyone have any example of this?

Thanks for the help

I have the GonG setup and I can leave the wand in and the herb will not burn, or even vaporize without you pulling. It's the air flowing through it that causes the herb to vaporize. As soon as you stop pulling, it stops vaporizing.

There isn't really a "best" wand type, it's all preference, I'd recommend checking out Vitolo's video which appears numerous times in this thread. The GonG setup I personally like because it's a very easy hands free, and it vapes the herb extremely evenly. I stir anyway, but still, I get great vapor.

I already had quite a few glass pieces when I got my SSV, and the SSV tubing fits perfectly into 14mm joints. If you have 14mm pieces then you're already fine, if you have an 18mm piece, either get one of their adapters or just a 18>14 adapter.

Heos,

dirtpie

dippin: for the water filters you linked to you'd want to get the mouthpiece to use it. The plastic clips really help with holding the mouthpiece in place. You can then just stick your hose into the joint and have a little vape bubbler.

I had one of these (http://silversurfervap.com/glass/ice-chambers/ice-chamber-11.html) and loved it. I'd put some crushed up ice or itty bitty ice cubes in there, and would get such cooled hits. It was my favorite way to use my SSV. Worked much better than using the adapter and larger water pipes.

dirtpie,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
dippin said:
Hey pimp, thanks for the info, I'll see if I can find vitolo's video on the wands.

Regarding the water attachment, I'm referring to these water filters: http://silversurfervap.com/glass/wcfm.html

I'm not really familiar with these and how they would attach. I've tried searching for a video but couldn't find anything. Also do you see the first picture that comes up on that page (http://silversurfervap.com/glass/wcfm.html). Anyone know what that red mouthpiece is? Its not actually listed as a product.

Thanks

That red mouthpiece is a different style of water cooler, which looks like the tubing goes directly into it.

I've got one of the 6 arm water filters from the page you mentioned.

It comes with the 6 arm chamber, which is basically an ash catcher, a Sherlock mouthpiece, a keck clip to hold the Sherlock mouthpiece on to the chamber, a length of tubing, and an adapter to mate the tubing with the chamber.

You basically replace the mouthpiece in your tubing with the adapter that has a male glass end, and that goes into the female glass joint at the top of the bubbler.

There are better bubblers out there, but that one is still quite nice, and with all of the stuff it comes with, it's a pretty good price IMO.

YoGranMazPimp said:
^^yeah I've seen those. It's basically like a handheld bubbler that goes on The end of The hose insteead of the mouth piece. I would recommend a different bubbler as there are lots of options, and this one doesn't have a ground glass joint, the hose just goes in a hole, which may not have a perfect seal. With a cheap adapter, you can use any with ground glass joint to vape from.
Im assuming this would be referring to the red mouthpiece dippin mentioned, not the other ones listed on the page.

Frederick McGuire,

YoGranMazPimp

I Vapes Hard
^^^yeah i didnt notice they didnt have one like that red for sale.

@dippin - The water percs they do got for sale with a sherlock setup would be a nice piece to vape from and isnt a bad price to get a water piece. Aboout those wands, the Ground glass is the only one that is handsfree without the clip, so its just another piece to need if you want handsfree with the sphrical or standard. im sure whichever setup you choose, you will be happy with your purchase of the SSv and enjoy it for years to come!

Tragic Edit - So during tonights vape session, when using my ssv with my mobius bubbler, i noticed at the moment i ended my draw some sparkle action in the HC and so i took another pull and watched it carefully and it seems the moment i stop my pull theres some blowback going on and sending it into the element and theres a lil bit in the bottom of the inside of the HC. Im definately not blowing it just seems the stopping of the pull off the piece causes this?

Anyone seen it or had it happen? I did a search and found a post ( http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=104923#p104923) which refers to a rapid loss of suction causing this. Maybe im hittiing it too hard?

Also, any tips on cleaning the herb from the HC? Must i remove it? I was thinking blocking the vent and taking the vacume hose to the opening...

YoGranMazPimp,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Its the möbius ion reti?
I have the möbius clear reti Bub and I noticed I was getting blowback too.
I stopped getting blowback when I dropped the water level down a bit.
If your water level is above the top of the reti perc itself, a bit of water goes up the downstem when you stop pulling.
You will need to either drop the water level, or make sure you remove the whip from the bubbler before you stop pulling.

I'd remove the HC and give it an ISO rinse if it smells, or just blow it out if it doesn't.

YoGranMazPimp

I Vapes Hard
@frederick - yeah it is the reti. thanks for the tip about the water level, that likely is the issue cause it didnt happen before. ill adjust that and see how it goes on the next session. thanks bro. i was heated about it and immediately popped off the 18mm and on with the mouthpiece when it happened.

YoGranMazPimp,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
I reckon the volt adapter I use for my SSV must limit the power or something - because never, even when turning up full and inhaling (at least what seems to be) incredibly slowly, have I even approached combustion, even with a bowl that was initially packed pretty full. At least 3 or 4 people have combusted using my Magic Flight, but never with the Surfer.

Anyway - I haven't kept up with this thread (or section at all) recently mainly because I don't need any new vapes etc right now!
However, I was wondering if UK users might be able to tell me if buying a new SSV directly from 7th Floor's website is still cheaper than buying from a UK retailer or another US retailer like Puff It Up etc.?

Finally managed to convert a few mates to the benefits of vapourising and they asked me to appeal to the wise FC Council in order to search out the best current deals before they purchase.

wilf789,

max

Out to lunch
You need to factor in the FC discounts available from dealers like Puffitup and others. Also, it makes a difference with the SSV whether you want it color coordinated or not, and/or extras included like extra tubing and screens-items that may not be available from dealers. If you're not picky a $30+ FC discount makes a difference.

max,

ricky93

Hello everyone new to the forum. I've been reading this thread during my overnight shift and finally decided to order the ssv off of amazon. I picked the white with silver base but it was out of stock so instead ill be getting the Orange one. It should be here tomorrow! I'm excited to convert to strictly vaping. I have a China glass bong its about a foot tall brand topoo it has a perc and slitted downstem would it be worth it to vape bong with it?

ricky93,

Qbit

cannabanana
I reckon the volt adapter I use for my SSV must limit the power or something - because never, even when turning up full and inhaling (at least what seems to be) incredibly slowly, have I even approached combustion, even with a bowl that was initially packed pretty full. At least 3 or 4 people have combusted using my Magic Flight, but never with the Surfer.

I've never actually combusted with the SSV (or even tried to), but I've certainly blackened the herb many times by accident. Is this what you mean?

Qbit,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Not done that either mate - my MFLB gets the herb a lot blacker, if I let it get that far I mean. There's a certain point with my SSV whereupon the herb will not get any browner than it already is, no matter at what pace/temperature I seem to be inhaling.
My MFLB on the other hand can turn it genuinely black and/or start actually smoking, if I was so inclined - which of course I'm not because it's obviously lost its taste a while before that.

And thanks for your reply Max - I'm actually moving to Canada soon and won't really be able to take my SSV with me so might just sell it to my friend who wants one. Was my first vape though so will be a tearful goodbye I imagine!

wilf789,

wonderfox

Hey there fellow vaporists! :wave:
I've been a lurker here for a long time and decided to become an active part of this community already.
I have the MFLB which I love dearly, though now looking to broaden the ol' horizons and get a new vape. Done a lot of research and the SSV looks very appealing.
Couple questions though - is it one for conserving bud? About how much bud do you guys fill it with? I understand this may have been mentioned previously but I haven't been able to find the info as of yet.

wonderfox,

max

Out to lunch
is it one for conserving bud?
You can conserve with any vape, especially vs. smoking, but the SSV, like most full sized whip models, encourages big hits rather than conservation. It's up to you to take hits that you can control, vs those that make your eyes water and you can only hold for 2-3 seconds. The SSV can deliver very rich hits with the standard connection, but you have to move/rotate the wand a little to spread around that narrow stream of hot air.

About how much bud do you guys fill it with?
You can load a lot or a little. As long as you don't go too hot too quick you can get quite a few hits. It's always best to start the temp a little low and move it up.

max,

Qbit

cannabanana
You can conserve with any vape, especially vs. smoking, but the SSV, like most full sized whip models, encourages big hits rather than conservation. It's up to you to take hits that you can control, vs those that make your eyes water and you can only hold for 2-3 seconds. The SSV can deliver very rich hits with the standard connection, but you have to move/rotate the wand a little to spread around that narrow stream of hot air.

You can load a lot or a little. As long as you don't go too hot too quick you can get quite a few hits. It's always best to start the temp a little low and move it up.

I recommend miniwands:

mini_whip_handpiece.jpg

Available here:

http://www.vaporwarehouse.com/vw_mini_whip.html

Although it's intended for the Vaporbrothers vape, it works perfectly with the SSV, and gives you nice thick hits with much smaller amounts of weed, so great for better conservation. I often vape 2 or 3 of these on a low temp, and tip the weed out of them into the standard wandfor a few higher temp hits.

I bought 4 of these (and whips and mouthpieces) for group sessions (and for spares - shipping to Australia is a bit pricey). Everyone gets to pack their own wand and experience the full range of vapour from fresh first hit until it thins out. And people can keep hitting the vape while others are packing or stirring their wands.

EDIT Hmm, I just noticed they have none left in stock, and that they are on backorder. Most worryingly it also says 'discontinued' under the price. I hope this is an error (or not set in stone), as mini-wands are cool.

Qbit,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I spoke with AJ at VaporWarehouse. They run out regularly, and have them come in regularly.
It is sad that they are so fragile, unlike the thick sturdy SSV wands!
I use both side by side... and I wind up using my SSV wand more often- it is easier to clean.. and the screen is easier to remove and replace (it is recommended that you don't remove the mini wand screen as it is hard to put back).
I do use the miniwand, when I want to conserve... and on occasion to get that 1st taste of a strain that is in limited supply!
DSC00461.jpg

Vitolo,

wonderfox

Thanks for all the advice!
vs those that make your eyes water and you can only hold for 2-3 seconds
It would be pretty nice to have a vape that gives you the choice between conservation and big hits.. gentle ascent vs face-melt kinda thing by the sounds of it.

The SSV looks like a winner to me. Going to order one soon, just got to hunt around for the best price first.
Those miniwands look really useful, definitely something I'd want to get along with the SSV. Getting a few of those as soon as they're back in stock! Think I'd get the hands free attachment at some point too, but for now I'll just order the SSV and get to know it as it is. Thanks again for the help!

wonderfox,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I've never used the handsfree clip thingy that 7th floor sell, but I've always figured that it would lead to a pretty severe hotspot without regular stirring.

To anyone with the handsfree clip:
Can you still move the wand around to spread the airflow while it's clipped in?
And can you take the wand out while the clip is still in?

Basically, I've always assumed that the clip holds the wand in 1 spot, and it can't be moved until the clip is removed.

The GonG handsfree heater cover and wand on the other hand, I quite like. :)

Edit: @TNK, I love the sig :lol:

Frederick McGuire,
Top Bottom